And just like that, Alex Rodriguez has retired

Matt39

I don't think he will ever be viewed as top 5 b/c he was caught multiple times.  If he wasn't caught multiple times he'd be celebrated like ortiz in Boston.  The way I look at it everyone was doing it and he should be a HOFer along w/ Bonds, manny, Clemens, etc...  I think eventually they get in but it will be a while.

2 hours ago, Blackout said:

top 5 player ever

That's so tough in baseball

Ruth

Mays

Bonds

Teddy WIlliams

Aaron

Hornsby

Cobb.

That's in no real order, just a few names off my head.   He was an amazing player for a long time.  Think about that, The Mariners had Jr, Randy, and ARod, in their prime, and couldn't win anything.

13 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

Arod, although probably won't be viewed as it, is indeed a top 5-10 player ever. He will also forever be the greatest prospect of all time. Little room for argument on that one. 

If he didn't take steroids he'd be considered top 10 of all time.  Both him and Bonds

59 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

maybe if he didn't stop playing SS in 2003.

I think he was 1 HR shy of setting the career mark for a short stop, and he was only 27.   4 top 3 MVP finishes, 2 gold gloves.  He really was amazing.

I know he did PEDs.  So did 80% of baseball back then, and he still stood out.

The Yankees used to be 1 of the classiest organizations in baseball not anymore this entire A-Rod fiasco is a joke. Girardi is a moron for the way he handled the media. 

A-Rod hopefully signs with the Marlins and plays Saturday afternoon and hits a HR in Yankee Stadium. 

Damn Yankees!

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 6:00 PM, Scott Dierking said:

I would not even rank him as a top 5 Yankee

Same list.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 6:08 PM, chirorob said:

That's in no real order, just a few names off my head.   He was an amazing player for a long time.  Think about that, The Mariners had Jr, Randy, and ARod, in their prime, and couldn't win anything.

Edgar Martinez might have been more dangerous than any of them

18 hours ago, chirorob said:

I think he was 1 HR shy of setting the career mark for a short stop, and he was only 27.   4 top 3 MVP finishes, 2 gold gloves.  He really was amazing.

I know he did PEDs.  So did 80% of baseball back then, and he still stood out.

He didn't need to take steroids.  Instead of 696 hrs he has 596

Piazza, Ortiz and Manny needed the PEDs tho

14 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Same list.

Edgar Martinez might have been more dangerous than any of them

Edgar was a great hitter, but he was not Ruth, or Gehrig, or Ted Williams, or Willie Mays.  Plus, did he even own a glove his last 10 years in baseball.

Also, if you don't like A Rod for PEDs, how does anyone explain Edgar having his career high in home runs at the age of 37?

5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Edgar was a great hitter, but he was not Ruth, or Gehrig, or Ted Williams, or Willie Mays.  Plus, did he even own a glove his last 10 years in baseball.

Also, if you don't like A Rod for PEDs, how does anyone explain Edgar having his career high in home runs at the age of 37?

it's funny how people don't realize the majority of MLB players were using PEDs and STILL are.

8 hours ago, chirorob said:

I was talking about Edgar compared to the Mariners, not the all-time greats.  I was more scared when he was at the plate than A-Rod or Junior. 

8 hours ago, nyjunc said:

it's funny how people don't realize the majority of MLB players were using PEDs and STILL are.

Players have been on PEDs since the beginning of time.

Mays, Mantle, Aaron were popping amphetamines like candy. But you never hear people go bezerk over it

1 hour ago, King P said:

Players have been on PEDs since the beginning of time.

Mays, Mantle, Aaron were popping amphetamines like candy. But you never hear people go bezerk over it

Sadly my experience on this forum was that people (especially Yankee fans) went ape sh*t at killing Bonds when he was thought to be the only cheater.. Only after Clemens, Andy and a few others from the 96-2000 run were also exposed did the stance "so what, everyone's doing it" come to the forefront.

11 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

Sadly my experience on this forum was that people (especially Yankee fans) went ape sh*t at killing Bonds when he was thought to be the only cheater.. Only after Clemens, Andy and a few others from the 96-2000 run were also exposed did the stance "so what, everyone's doing it" come to the forefront.

I think it was more Pettitte, the Yanks were great w/o Clemens but not w/o Andy.  

Archived