DTV Sunday Ticket

BloodGreen

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, BloodGreen said:

Has anyone had any luck getting any sort of deal on it this season?  I called and they were fully prepared to let me cancel my service!  What the hell is happening?

They must read the board.  They're on to you guys.

19 minutes ago, BloodGreen said:

Has anyone had any luck getting any sort of deal on it this season?  I called and they were fully prepared to let me cancel my service!  What the hell is happening?

AT&T. A new corporate culture at DTV, including retention giveaways. I canceled mine. Will call them around week 1 and hopefully have a better chance for deep discount.  Probably after week 1. 

I had DirecTicket for about 15 years.  Two years ago I finally gave it up.  They harassed me a few times to re-up the package so that first year I did for about half-price.  Last year I finally cut the cord.  There are so many games on national TV now that I found I rarely used it anymore.  And then I found out that the outside world actually keeps going on Sundays in the winter.  Who would have thought.  Don't be afraid to try life after DirecTicket.  It actually isn't so bad.

1 hour ago, BloodGreen said:

Are you under contract? If so, how long do you have left? Last, did you talk directly to their cancellation department?

I haven't called in for the NFL Ticket yet but I called last month and ended the call with an additional $15 a month discounts. Try again. No harm in calling a few times.

I spoke to the retention department and they were very cold to me. Definitely not the same as before the AT&T take over. I think I hate them now. I've been a loyal subscriber for 15 years and their customer service always set them apart, now they are just like all the rest. With the wealth of streaming options out there I think it is time to just walk away. 

1 hour ago, BloodGreen said:

If you're willing to wait 24 hours after the game concluded maybe you should just buy the NFL Gamepass package. I do it every year. Sure, you're not able to watch the games live, though the only games im concerned about watching live are the Jets. However, the cool thing about gamepass is that you can watch all the games anytime you want no matter what week/year. 

If we're in week 11 and I want to go back and watch week 3 games I can do it. Its a give/take scenario and it really depends on what most suits you. I never got the Sunday ticket given that many Sundays I had to work, along with the price of $300. For $99 I can watch the Jets play live elsewhere yet have all season to go back and watch the other games anytime I want, when I want. 

48 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I had DirecTicket for about 15 years.  Two years ago I finally gave it up.  They harassed me a few times to re-up the package so that first year I did for about half-price.  Last year I finally cut the cord.  There are so many games on national TV now that I found I rarely used it anymore.  And then I found out that the outside world actually keeps going on Sundays in the winter.  Who would have thought.  Don't be afraid to try life after DirecTicket.  It actually isn't so bad.

I'm a cord cutter as well, but the ticket is available on a Roku if I'm not mistaken.

17 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm a cord cutter as well, but the ticket is available on a Roku if I'm not mistaken.

It is, and I think streaming is included with the base Sunday ticket deal so if you know someone with it on DTV you could share a login 

Those of you who pointed to the AT&T takeover are spot on.  I called on Saturday to remove Sunday Ticket from my account, and no counter-offers were even presented.  All the rep said was, "I'll be happy to help you with that - let me connect you with someone who can handle that request for you."  Needless to say, I got a little excited as I mentally prepared for the negotiating process.  In less than a minute, another rep got on the phone and asked why I wanted to cancel.  I stated that the price was WAY too much and I could watch every game at a bar with lunch and a few drinks for that amount.  His response was "yeah, you got that right!"  He then offered to give me 15% off of the total amount.  After I turned the offer down, he replied that he would remove Sunday Ticket from my account. 

It appears as if the old days are gone:angry:

I just got my bill with the ticket on it today.  I'm a year and a half in to a 2 year contract and have the benefit of not bluffing when saying I'll cancel everything.  I might have to pay a prorated amount to terminate but it will be worth it as I'll just start a new account under the girlfriends name and get the ticket as well as discounted package for a year.

Going to make the call tomorrow.

14 minutes ago, Simijet said:

Those of you who pointed to the AT&T takeover are spot on.  I called on Saturday to remove Sunday Ticket from my account, and no counter-offers were even presented.  All the rep said was, "I'll be happy to help you with that - let me connect you with someone who can handle that request for you."  Needless to say, I got a little excited as I mentally prepared for the negotiating process.  In less than a minute, another rep got on the phone and asked why I wanted to cancel.  I stated that the price was WAY too much and I could watch every game at a bar with lunch and a few drinks for that amount.  His response was "yeah, you got that right!"  He then offered to give me 15% off of the total amount.  After I turned the offer down, he replied that he would remove Sunday Ticket from my account. 

It appears as if the old days are gone:angry:

Me thinks one of the reasons they're not bothering with this route anymore is because of the shift to streaming, which quite frankly they should have done years ago anyways.

I had dtv since 99. I called in and canceled and within a week the emails starting coming saying we want you back. They offered 4 genies and then I just wished for free dtv forever. Seriously though I got the whole house dvr HBO, stars and free Sunday ticket for a year plus a 200.00 visa card. Basically what they offer new customers, but I get to keep my same account number which helps when they look to see how long you've been with them. I did have to start a new contract though.

On 8/9/2016 at 6:14 AM, jayrad01 said:

I had dtv since 99. I called in and canceled and within a week the emails starting coming saying we want you back. They offered 4 genies and then I just wished for free dtv forever. Seriously though I got the whole house dvr HBO, stars and free Sunday ticket for a year plus a 200.00 visa card. Basically what they offer new customers, but I get to keep my same account number which helps when they look to see how long you've been with them. I did have to start a new contract though.

Very useful info!!!

Question: what did you do for television for the period between when you cancelled and when you signed a new contract?

On 8/9/2016 at 8:29 AM, Matt39 said:

What's the deal with watching preseason out of market? Do I have to cough up 99 bucks for this stupid gamepass on NFL.com? 

There is a 7 day free trial. I use one account for 7 days, cancel before the money is due then I make a new account  with a different card and get another 7 days for free. Rinse and repeat for 4 weeks and preseason is covered.

I ran into the same issue with DTV and getting the ticket for cheap. I got the 15% off deal like mentioned earlier and took it. I enjoy watching football too much all day on sunday to be raped by a bar bill by the end of the day. Plus the wife likes the fact I am home on sundays now instead of being a degenerate out in the general public.

On 8/8/2016 at 9:37 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Yes.  BUT, only if you cant get Direct TV or you are a student at college.  If you live in a single family house probably not unless you buy direct TV.

1 hour ago, jdeacon said:

There is a 7 day free trial. I use one account for 7 days, cancel before the money is due then I make a new account  with a different card and get another 7 days for free. Rinse and repeat for 4 weeks and preseason is covered.

I ran into the same issue with DTV and getting the ticket for cheap. I got the 15% off deal like mentioned earlier and took it. I enjoy watching football too much all day on sunday to be raped by a bar bill by the end of the day. Plus the wife likes the fact I am home on sundays now instead of being a degenerate out in the general public.

Thx. Then again I could always just bug my parents to set up the sling box. 

Maybe I just have mediocre wifi, but streaming stuff still doesn't seem right. The quality just isn't there for live events. I bought the ticket via PS3 a couple years ago when I moved and basically flushed the 200 bucks down the toilet as I just went to the bar every Sunday because my feed sucked. 

And Christ, asking the bartenders to change the station to football you'd think you asked them to clean the urinal cakes, but that's a whole other frustration about living out of market.

35 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yes.  BUT, only if you cant get Direct TV or you are a student at college.  If you live in a single family house probably not unless you buy direct TV.

This is correct.  Although if you still have a college email address you can stream it for $99 for the entire year.  I used it last year and it worked wonderfully except for one game.

49 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

This is correct.  Although if you still have a college email address you can stream it for $99 for the entire year.  I used it last year and it worked wonderfully except for one game.

Will student discount work even if you live in a house? 

4 hours ago, Simijet said:

Very useful info!!!

Question: what did you do for television for the period between when you cancelled and when you signed a new contract?

I bought one of those kodi boxes off of eBay  and you can pretty much watch everything on there. Funny thing is you can get all the games too.  It's just never as clear and smooth,  but pretty close sometimes. 

Been with DTV for 14 years and when I called to bitch about the auto bill of $44.99 for 6 months, they said they would knock 20% off. I said no and they said okay. I just got a Kodi box a couple of months ago, so I'm ready to see if streaming will work. Sports devil is supposedly pretty good.

1 minute ago, jayrad01 said:

I bought one of those kodi boxes off of eBay  and you can pretty much watch everything on there. Funny thing is you can get all the games too.  It's just never as clear and smooth,  but pretty close sometimes. 

Got mine on Amazon for $60 bucks or so, and you're right, it's not 1080p, but it is 720p and totally watchable.

1 hour ago, jayrad01 said:

I hear you!  When I was a kid I was happy to have any kind of picture on the screen (I'm old and grew up on eastern LI).  Nowadays, I get agitated when things aren't in HD. . . my, how things have changed!!!

On 8/9/2016 at 7:53 AM, BloodGreen said:

Without NFL exclusivity, DTV would be BKTV, which is where it's going with new options to watch games springing up every day.

Find a local Jet Fan Club in area and go watch the games with 30-100 Jet fans so you can enjoy SO MUCH BETTER than sitting home alone watching game by yourself. Most good Jet Fan Bars have side TVs to watch other games with no sound  so jet game can be blasted thru bar. Then like other guy said, more to do on Sunday than watch all the 1 PM and 4 PM games. After game, go to a movie, take a  drive etc.

14 hours ago, Simijet said:

I hear you!  When I was a kid I was happy to have any kind of picture on the screen (I'm old and grew up on eastern LI).  Nowadays, I get agitated when things aren't in HD. . . my, how things have changed!!!

Lol I remember those days as well. Looking at the squiggly lines wait I just saw a boob.

Warning:  Direct TV will try to rape u. 

When I signed up 2 years ago (in Florida), they gave me the first NFL Ticket season for free.  They also gave me some free HBO and other channel goodies (which soon expired, but they never emailed me about when these promos where expiring).  However, to watch the lineup of channels I wanted (which included some of the cable channels, SNY for the Jets post game, and channels that carry international soccer matches, I ended up paying well over 100 dollars a month (after the 3 month intro expired.)  I was also forced to watch crappy local stations in Florida that I was not interested in watching.  Still, I did get season 1 of the NFL ticket for nothing.

I canceled the HBO and other movie channels as soon in the middle of season 1 (when I looked at my bill, and realized my promos had expired), but it took long calls to their call center.  I was never able to get a straight answer as to how much various plans and channels cost; things were never as seen on their web site.  Everything was alwasys explained to me very rapidly & in a highly complex fashion.  And I was always being offered various promos as I called to try to cancel to reduce my cost. Maybe I am just a dumb schmuck, but all I ever got when calling their call center is the feeling they were trying to take advantage of me financially, and that many of these operators were on commission, and working from their homes, where some of my calls were being forwarded by Direct TV  (I heard children in the background on occasion).

By season 2 (this past ome), I knew Direct TV was going to charge $200 dollars for the coming NFL season.  So I called, and said I want to pay the $200 up front.  I also said I wanted to make sure (again) that I was getting rid of every channel possible (including ESPN, which they consider a premium channel) except GOTV (for the soccer) and SNY (for the post game show, even though Mets programming always screwed that up, it seemed, in Sept and October).  All I want was to see the same bill amount every month during season 2 (after having paid up for the NFL ticket up front).

On the next bill, I noticed on my credit card charges that DIrect TV had billed me for over 700 dollars.  After many many calls, in which I was made to literally wait for hours on the phone, a rep finally admitted that one of the previous reps had charged me twice (for when I wanted to pay in advance) and also billed me automatically the partial charges for the NFL Ticket which they normally do.  There was no apology for this.  I aksed for an immediate, and he said he could not do this, because the amount was so high, and that I should look for a refund on my CC statement, if a manager approved it.

Eventually (after maybe 10 hours of being on the phone with this and other peopel at Direct TV about this 700 dollar CC charge), I was able to get about 400 dollars credited back to my CC, but only after calling my bank and credit card company and having them open a dispute on these charges.  Throughout all this extremely time consuming process, Direct TV constantly gave me the run around.

During all this time, Direct TV kept sending paper bills by mail (which I insisted on) which were basically impossible to understand, because the amounts kept changing drastically.  Every time I had to call the billing call center about these mystifying bills, I often had to speak to overseas call center handlers whom I had difficulty understanding and who spoke very rapidly reading some kind of annoying script in a strong accent.  And all this was during the AT&T transition.

At the end of this past season (my 2 year contract with Direct TV was supposed to end on April '16) I called Direct TV and suspended the service till September 5th, when I will automatically resume the service (Direct TV rules allow you to suspend once a year for up to 6 months).  I will have to pay for 3 months of the 50-60 dollars for local channels (which I do not want or need, since I live in a Florida homeowners association, and our dues pay for free COMCAST service, including the news cable channels I wanted; this is something I stupidly  did not realize until year 2 of my Direct TV contract!) then presumably I will be able to "pay as I go" (after Nov), according to the last rep I talked, for only the prorated cost of the NFL ticket (which I will call and get that week of Sept 5th) only, ie maybe only 40 bucks a month or something like that.

So I will still be out of pocket for around 50+ dollars per month (starting next month, not including the cost of the NFL ticket), because Direct TV simply refuses to sell me only the NFL ticket and SNY, which bottom line is all I was interested in.  They claim I can do so after the original "contract" runs out at the end of November (it was pushed back when I suspendrf service).  They also claimed that if I canceled after the contract is up, that the equipment (the dish and the box) was mine to keep because they did not want it back.  I wonder if that is true.

Bottom line is this:  I tried to get in touch with or write the head guy of the Direct TV division within ATT (I took the trouble to look this guy up and found his name; he has worked at Direct TV many years, and is now an ATT big wig) to complain about the fact that Direct TV had ripped me for hundreds of dollars (despite the refund, the numbers still did not add up right) but no one at ATT would provide me with a valid email (they actually gave me bogus ones) or a telephone number for his office or even physical address where I could send a complaint letter to this guy.

Let me state this again:  if you have a problem with ATT service, you cannot email or contact ATT management in any way.  You can only contact the call center by 1-800 phone (or at least, that is how it was this past Feb) to resolve an issue or complain about something.  There is no local office anywhere to go to, unlike Comcast.  Good luck trying to handle this with a local ATT store where they sell smartphones and mobile services etc; I tried, no such luck.

My advice to Jets Nation fans is to avoid Direct TV / ATT like the plague, if you can.  If you live in NY, no problem.  You will get to watch the Jets on regular TV just like I used to for the 30 years I lived in NYC.  If you live in Fla like me, and have no interest in dealing with Direct TV, you are screwed, unless the Jets do well, and you start to see more games featuring them in December, when they start to play with the televised schedules on regular (ie Comcast) cable.

Sorry for the long post, but I had to get this off my chest, and warn my fellow Jets fans about this company.  I grew up watching Namath and the Jets on Channel 11 for free.  To think that continuing to watch my beloved Jets in Florida would cost me anywhere from $800 to $1000+ per year really makes me question if I can afford to watch them anymore on television during the regular season, and am considering just listening to ESPN radio on my computer for live coverage when they are not on TV (in Florida, they always seem to the schedule Fin games to start at the same time as in season Jets games for some reason), and maybe just NFL on Comcast (albeit after a game delay of a day or more).  It sucks but there you have it.

Archived