DTV Sunday Ticket

BloodGreen

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I renegotiated my deal since I was off contract with DirecTV. I previously had a bunch of premium channels like HBO, ShowTime, CineMax, etc. plus the Xtra Choice Pkg and the NFL Sunday Ticket. I called to let them know I was canceling all my premium channels and that I wanted a discount on the Sunday Ticket. With a recent switch to Cox Communications gigabit internet I told them that I could completely switch to Cox cable TV for less than $40/month. Long story, short - After about 40 minutes of conversation I did cut most of my premium channels but kept HBO. I added a 4th wireless Genie receiver for $7/month (to be used on an outdoor TV) and got two discounts ($30 credit per month for 12 months, $10 credit per month for 6 months).  They are also waiving the installation fee of $150 for coming out and setting up the wireless Genie.  (Yes, I asked if professional install was really required or if they could just send the box and with some instructions I set it up.  They said no, it connects to the DTV system and doesn't just get added to your home network/SSID.)

The $30 for 12 months ($360) will pay for Sunday Ticket and the cost of adding the new Genie receiver. The $10 is essentially a credit to keep HBO but it runs out after 6 months.  Overall, I'm happy. My bill will still be about $110/month but I've got a lot of base channels, HBO and NFL Sunday ticket plus we're running 4 DirecTV HD receivers with whole-house DVR and one of them is the outdoor wireless Genie box. I had to make a 12 month contract commitment that I wouldn't cancel, otherwise I'd pay a penalty of $20 per month for however many months were remaining on my contract.  But I'm not going to cancel, I'll be off contract next August again and will have a similar phone call.

While you cannot watch complete games, between games available on networks and ESPN and streaming just around the corner, RedZone is a way better alternative. You will not see every play, but you win see most of them. FIOS has it for$50 total, and you won't have your service disrupted every time it rains. Also, the installer and repair guys for DTV were always awful, blaming the guy before. 

Okay, so last week I could accomplish no more than to be offered 15% off of Sunday Ticket.  This offer was not to my liking, so I went ahead and cancelled my automatic renewal.  My next plan was to threaten to drop Directv completely for Dish, so I've been arming myself with info about all of the programming and pricing for both companies. 

Well, today I got a very unexpected surprise.  Directv called me and, after asking a few questions about my satisfaction with my service, told me that they'd give me $25 off per month for the next year if I agreed to stay with them throughout that period.  That's $300, which more than pays for the Ticket (I don't need Max)!!!  Not once during my conversation did I ever mention football, nor did I attempt to request a better price. . .the rep simply offered it up!

In case you're wondering, I only have the Entertainment Package and no extras (HBO, Show, etc.) and I did not have to upgrade my programming in return for the discount.  I don't know if there is a correlation between my dropping Sunday Ticket last week and this unsolicited offer, but if there is - this could be an effective tactic for some of you.

I called DirecTV today and spoke with a senior representative in retention. Long story short, they are not budging much on the price of Sunday Ticket Max. I managed to get them down to $44.99 for 6 months for a total of $270.

Since I was off contract, I also negotiated a monthly credit by signing a 12 month contract which helps offset the cost of Sunday Ticket.

Overall, I'm happy with my deal but I think it's clear that the days of free Sunday Ticket are behind us.

On 8/13/2016 at 9:50 PM, DoubleDown said:

I called DirecTV today and spoke with a senior representative in retention. Long story short, they are not budging much on the price of Sunday Ticket Max. I managed to get them down to $44.99 for 6 months for a total of $270.

Since I was off contract, I also negotiated a monthly credit by signing a 12 month contract which helps offset the cost of Sunday Ticket.

Overall, I'm happy with my deal but I think it's clear that the days of free Sunday Ticket are behind us.

I used to have them when I lived in Brooklyn. My roommate at the time was always scoring deals with them. Free Showtime just for calling. Regional sports packages for free, etc

Stop trying to just get the ticket for free or discounted...Your angle should be that you are going to cancel and go to a local provider because everything is expensive and you don't need the ticket because you can always watch the games other ways these days..There are other ways they can give you money back...I got $20 off my bill for 12 months and a $100 credit that comes right off my current bill..$340 totally which covers the ticket.

On August 10, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Matt39 said:

Thx. Then again I could always just bug my parents to set up the sling box. 

Maybe I just have mediocre wifi, but streaming stuff still doesn't seem right. The quality just isn't there for live events. I bought the ticket via PS3 a couple years ago when I moved and basically flushed the 200 bucks down the toilet as I just went to the bar every Sunday because my feed sucked. 

And Christ, asking the bartenders to change the station to football you'd think you asked them to clean the urinal cakes, but that's a whole other frustration about living out of market.

I have given up on asking for the Jet game here in NE at local pubs. Best bet is a hotel bar, where they expect and cater to out of towners

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I have given up on asking for the Jet game here in NE at local pubs. Best bet is a hotel bar, where they expect and cater to out of towners

Sports bars struggling to put sports on TV seems to be an epidemic.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Sports bars struggling to put sports on TV seems to be an epidemic.

That's one of the great parts about living in South Florida.  There is no shortage of finding sports bars with the Jets gme on, and 30-100 Jets fans inside

5 hours ago, LockeJET said:

Stop trying to just get the ticket for free or discounted...Your angle should be that you are going to cancel and go to a local provider because everything is expensive and you don't need the ticket because you can always watch the games other ways these days..There are other ways they can give you money back...I got $20 off my bill for 12 months and a $100 credit that comes right off my current bill..$340 totally which covers the ticket.

That's always been my angle. I still haven't made that call yet for this year. I always call to cancel my contract. In the past, they offer me free ticket in exchange for a one year deal. I have about 13 months left on my contract right now so I wont that offer this year. I may just be offered some discount though.

26 minutes ago, j4jets said:

That's always been my angle. I still haven't made that call yet for this year. I always call to cancel my contract. In the past, they offer me free ticket in exchange for a one year deal. I have about 13 months left on my contract right now so I wont that offer this year. I may just be offered some discount though.

26 minutes ago, j4jets said:

I called yesterday and requested the "cancellation" team.  (I don't refer to them as 'retention' team so that they do not think I do this every year for the past decade).

When the nice woman came on, I asked her if I had been connected to the "cancellation" team and she said yes.  Even though I am fully aware that I am out of contract (month-to-month) for quite some time, I asked her when my contract expires.  She wanted to know why and I told her that over the last year my pricing has gone through the roof and that i had found a couple of less costly alternatives to move to together with a package offer I have handy from the local cable company here.  I also told her that my daughter moved out and got DTV and all the little goodies they give to new subscribers and that this only exacerbated my frustration with having antiquated equipment and ridiculous pricing on the premier package (which I have had for over a decade).  I let her know that I was leaving because of excessive cost.  Didn't mention ST or football yet.

Long story short... I am getting Genie with 3 mini's for free with free installation, $30 off per month for 2 years, $10 off per month for 6 months referring my daughter. $7 off per month for 6 months for each of  HBO, SHO, Cinemax, and one other. $5 off per month for 6 months for the sports fees.  $10 off HD for a year.  Finally I asked about Sunday TIcket and that's when she started the bullcrap about how the NFL controls the pricing and they are very limited in what they can do.  She offered me a something like a 10 or 20% discount to which I replied that this was unsatisfactory.  Told me to try again closer to the season.  

Wow.  I thought for sure I could get it.  I am calling back today to mention that they offered free ST to my daughter for her new service.  Since I am a 16+ year customer, I am going to ask why I can't get that kind of offer (the ones they give to newbies) every now and then?  Let's see how I make out on this one.  

Also get $5 off per month for my account with Century Link and another $5 off per month for ebilling instead of paper.  But those anyone can get without any hassle.  

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I called yesterday and requested the "cancellation" team.  (I don't refer to them as 'retention' team so that they do not think I do this every year for the past decade).

When the nice woman came on, I asked her if I had been connected to the "cancellation" team and she said yes.  Even though I am fully aware that I am out of contract (month-to-month) for quite some time, I asked her when my contract expires.  She wanted to know why and I told her that over the last year my pricing has gone through the roof and that i had found a couple of less costly alternatives to move to together with a package offer I have handy from the local cable company here.  I also told her that my daughter moved out and got DTV and all the little goodies they give to new subscribers and that this only exacerbated my frustration with having antiquated equipment and ridiculous pricing on the premier package (which I have had for over a decade).  I let her know that I was leaving because of excessive cost.  Didn't mention ST or football yet.

Long story short... I am getting Genie with 3 mini's for free with free installation, $30 off per month for 2 years, $10 off per month for 6 months referring my daughter. $7 off per month for 6 months for each of  HBO, SHO, Cinemax, and one other. $5 off per month for 6 months for the sports fees.  $10 off HD for a year.  Finally I asked about Sunday TIcket and that's when she started the bullcrap about how the NFL controls the pricing and they are very limited in what they can do.  Told me to try again closer to the season.  

Wow.  I thought for sure I could get it.  I am calling back today to mention that they offered free ST to my daughter for her new service.  Since I am a 16+ year customer, I am going to ask why I can't get that kind of offer (the ones they give to newbies) every now and then?  Let's see how I make out on this one.  

Also get $5 off per month for my account with Century Link and for ebilling instead of paper.  But those anyone can get without any hassle.  

Any time they give you a new receiver, you must sign a new 2 year deal. That's what she was trying to do, whether she told you or not. Been there, done that. I was offered something similar and at the end of the call, I was told someone will confirm all the changes after a quick transfer. The next agent told me about the new 24 month deal and I said I wasn't told about that. I told him to cancel the changes and he said just not to accept the equipment in the mail. I told him just cancel the shipment and he said its already on its way (really? Before I confirmed the changes?). Anyways, couple days later, my genie arrived on my doorstep and I never did anything about it but put it in the garage. Its still there.

As for the ticket, Im shocked they didn't offer it to you even while you're out of contract. I'd say try again a couple of times until you get a willing agent. I generally try to make small talks such as where you from? oh its so nice there, such great weather in Phoenix, we love the heat (yeah right). You get the point. Get them to be comfortable talking to you and you can make them do so much.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, k-met57 said:

just ordered Sunday ticket max for 44.99 a month for 6 months. seemed like a decent deal considering i am already getting 40 bucks off my regular bill for a year. too much fantasy going on this year, this was a must!!

Yeah, but last year it was around $41/mo. So they raised the price again, and are getting away with it.

5 minutes ago, Jet Fan RI said:

Yeah, but last year it was around $41/mo. So they raised the price again, and are getting away with it.

Yeah but if you are not paying the full price, who cares? Sunday ticket max is 59.99 for 6 months, I settled on 44.99 for the same package...which is still discounted.

1 minute ago, k-met57 said:

Yeah but if you are not paying tGD price!

4 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Yeah but if you are not paying the full price, who cares? Sunday ticket max is 59.99 for 6 months, I settled on 44.99 for the same package...which is still discounted.

Not paying full price? I have zero need for the "max" option, I hate the red zone, they can keep it. And I have zero need for the portability option. Just let me see the games on my TV on Sunday, and stop  raising the GD price!!

1 minute ago, k-met57 said:

thats great but you are not their target demographic :) most people actually do like the red zone channel. so your beef is that they raised the thing by 24 dollars over 6 months?? lol

Actually, my beef is that they seem to raise it every season. And they try to bamboozle you into getting the max every season,- Have to constantly keep an eye on them, or you'll get the max if you do nothing, And yeah. I'm sure I'm not their target demographic, lol.

Just got off the phone with DTV and bitched about them and my billing and complained how last year they gave me the Sunday ticket for $99. They then offered me the basic Sunday ticket for $99 if I make it all in one payment, which I did. I just want to give you guys an update because I know the past few weeks they haven't been budging at all on the pricing.

56 minutes ago, rillo said:

If you are a student or know someone who is DTV is running a promotion now $24.99 for four months. You don't need the TV service either, it's just for the NFL streaming of games. 

I know a student and if I purchase this, can he and I watch it at the same time on different computers?

I have been one of their premiere customers and have the top package you could get. I have been with them since 1997 and they always worked with me. They even gave me a whole season of the NFL ticket for nothing since I was pissed off about the Brady incident and canceled the next year. Now ATT has acquired it the company has changed for the worse. I knew this was going to happen and I was going to get the package but said screw it after missing so much of some nights of cable due to storms where the signal gets interrupted. Going to change to Verizon after this year.

Well it sure pays to wait.

About 5-6 weeks ago, I canceled Sunday Ticket MAX because they were only willing to drop the price to $45/month for 6 months ($270).  I have never paid more than $150 for it and sometimes got it for free.  I've been with DTV since 2001.  They did give me a boatload of other discounts on my premium channels, a free genie with 4 minis including free installation and a $30 per month discount for 2 years on top of all the other discounts, but they wouldn't budge from $270 on Sunday Ticket Max, so I canceled it.

Well I gave it another try this morning.  Even though I am under a new 2 year contract (for all the free equipment I got), I thought there might be a glimmer of hope. I told them my story and that I've had Sunday Ticket forever, including MAX when that started and never paid more than $100-$150.  I was honest woth her and told her that since I am under a new contract, I'm not threatening to leave, but I'd like to get Sunday TIcket Max for a reasonable price. She (retention team) put me on hold for about 5 minutes and came back on and gave me Sunday TIcket Max for $24.99/month for only 4 months.  The whole shebang for $100.

It pays to wait and to be polite.  

On 8/19/2016 at 1:04 PM, j4jets said:

Any time they give you a new receiver, you must sign a new 2 year deal. That's what she was trying to do, whether she told you or not. Been there, done that. I was offered something similar and at the end of the call, I was told someone will confirm all the changes after a quick transfer. The next agent told me about the new 24 month deal and I said I wasn't told about that. I told him to cancel the changes and he said just not to accept the equipment in the mail. I told him just cancel the shipment and he said its already on its way (really? Before I confirmed the changes?). Anyways, couple days later, my genie arrived on my doorstep and I never did anything about it but put it in the garage. Its still there.

As for the ticket, Im shocked they didn't offer it to you even while you're out of contract. I'd say try again a couple of times until you get a willing agent. I generally try to make small talks such as where you from? oh its so nice there, such great weather in Phoenix, we love the heat (yeah right). You get the point. Get them to be comfortable talking to you and you can make them do so much.

Yup, exactly right.   except, I always took the new equipment knowing that i would be calling back in a year to renegotiate my free ticket.  One year, I made so much small talk that the guy gave me all the free sh!t PLUS a $250.00 credit for my troubles.  I think that was a one in a million but DTV took care of me until I got Kodi.  Now I have internet, no more bundles of phone line that I dont use.

I did not have a different expereience this year at all. I called retention as always and said that I wanted to get Sunday Ticket,  but my monthly bill could not go up. He said no discoints were available for Sunday Ticket, buy offered me $46 in discounts for 6 months which pretty much covers the Ticket and then $50 a month for a year if I agreed to 1 year. So $50 s month for 6 months of ST, but $96 in credits do $296 in savings first 6 months, $300 in savings second 6 months. So essentially Sunday Ticket for free and $48 less a month average for what I have now.

Archived