Non-Jet promising rookie chatter

BUM-KNEE

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cardale Jones looked alright for a guy who isn't supposed to know how to play.  Showed some great velocity/timing on a bullet to former Jets WR Walt Powell with 3 defenders in the vicinity.  He also ran it 4 times for 34 yards.

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Odd timing for this thread. First year in as many as I can remember we got some rookies playing some damn good football that actually are on the Jets.  Obviously I missed something but I'm still pretty excited about OUR rookies. 

I jokingly suggested it in the bills thread because AFJF brought up Prescott.  No reason not to be excited about our rookies, but having a place to talk about other rooks across the league makes sense too!

Just now, Integrity28 said:

I jokingly suggested it in the bills thread because AFJF brought up Prescott.  No reason not to be excited about our rookies, but having a place to talk about other rooks across the league makes sense too!

I figured I missed something like that.  But I'm flabbergasted by how many rookies we got that actually balled out for us Thursday.  Got dudes running kick offs back like they got underwear full of termites and a wooden dick.  Dudes catching footballs!  I mean when the last time we Had rookies that could catch a football?  Tiny linebacker running around the field like its his turn to look up Snow Whites skirt .  Personally Im excited. 

I think Hunter Henry and Laquon Treadwell are who we thought they were too. Nothing gaudy about their stats, but they seem to be coming along in their roles just fine. I've only watched highlights thus far...

Mackenzie Alexander had a big INT too.

20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Odd timing for this thread. First year in as many as I can remember we got some rookies playing some damn good football that actually are on the Jets.  Obviously I missed something but I'm still pretty excited about OUR rookies. 

A rookie that im excited about is Robbie Anderson. I thought he played pretty well in game 1 and really showed some cathing skill and body control for a rookie. As he develops as a receiver and with more strength plays like this will be touchdowns. I was really impressed by this play though he was just out of bounds. 

Anderson%204.gif

Perfect highpoint, full control of the ball with his hands and kept the defender from separating him from the ball. The defender did a nice job of riding him out of bounds, but I can tell that this is pretty much effortless for Anderson. Very Brandon Marshall-esque.

If this was Stephen Hill he would have tried everything in his power to body-catch this. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

A rookie that im excited about is Robbie Anderson. I thought he played pretty well in game 1 and really showed some cathing skill and body control for a rookie. As he develops as a receiver and with more strength plays like this will be touchdowns. I was really impressed by this play though he was just out of bounds. 

Anderson%204.gif

Perfect highpoint, full control of the ball with his hands and kept the defender from separating him from the ball. The defender did a nice job of riding him out of bounds, but I can tell that this is pretty much effortless for Anderson. Very Brandon Marshall-esque.

If this was Stephen Hill he would have tried everything in his power to body-catch this. 

That is exactly what I'm saying man.  Never heard of the kid before and he made a catch like that.  For the Jets!! Preseason! A rookie!!! So sexy.  Careless if he got his feet down.  Nice to see.  

23 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I figured I missed something like that.  But I'm flabbergasted by how many rookies we got that actually balled out for us Thursday.  Got dudes running kick offs back like they got underwear full of termites and a wooden dick.  Dudes catching footballs!  I mean when the last time we Had rookies that could catch a football?  Tiny linebacker running around the field like its his turn to look up Snow Whites skirt .  Personally Im excited. 

When was the last time that we had rookies that didn't needs us "selling" each other on their potential, and instead they just went out and showed it. I mean, in the past with the back end of our roster it was always "should they even be in the league?" Now, it's more like, "how do we choose between several guys that can clearly play?"

#ThanksMac

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

That is exactly what I'm saying man.  Never heard of the kid before and he made a catch like that.  For the Jets!! Preseason! A rookie!!! So sexy.  Careless if he got his feet down.  Nice to see.  

Macc really "showed off" this past draft. We picked up some guys. Even if we dont see much of anything from Hack this preseason, what we're seeing from undrafted rookies like Jalin Marshall in the return game and Anderson in the passing game. Our 7th rounder Peake with the our sole passing TD in the game, our 1st round pick with 4 tackles, 2 tackles for loss and a sack in limited play is VERY unusual for a Jets team. 

Most of us are still waiting for Vernon Gholston to record a sack! 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Macc really "showed off" this past draft. We picked up some guys. Even if we dont see much of anything from Hack this preseason, what we're seeing from undrafted rookies like Jalin Marshall in the return game and Anderson in the passing game. Our 7th rounder Peake with the our sole passing TD in the game, our 1st round pick with 4 tackles, 2 tackles for loss and a sack in limited play is VERY unusual for a Jets team. 

Most of us are still waiting for Vernon Gholston to record a sack! 

It is the level of football players he's finding throughout the rest of the draft, and in UDFA that gives me hope that Hack will be legit. Petty too. 

I mean, has Mac whiffed on anyone yet? You look at least year's class, and everyone except for Devin Smith is on the ascension plan charted for them. No throw-aways. This year, we get the draft class, plus a slew of quality-looking UDFAs. I'm finding it hard to be skeptical of Hack, just given the early track record of Mac avoiding complete washouts.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

When was the last time that we had rookies that didn't needs us "selling" each other on their potential, and instead they just went out and showed it. I mean, in the past with the back end of our roster it was always "should they even be in the league?" Now, it's more like, "how do we choose between several guys that can clearly play?"

#ThanksMac

Exactly.  I feel like fat Alice in Wonderland.  Question changed from Why are they here to How do we keep them?  

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It is the level of football players he's finding throughout the rest of the draft, and in UDFA that gives me hope that Hack will be legit. Petty too. 

I mean, has Mac whiffed on anyone yet? You look at least year's class, and everyone except for Devin Smith is on the ascension plan charted for them. No throw-aways. This year, we get the draft class, plus a slew of quality-looking UDFAs. I'm finding it hard to be skeptical of Hack, just given the early track record of Mac avoiding complete washouts.

Petty had a really good game. The only thing that I could say is that he took 1 bad sack, but other than that he played like he's aiming for that #2 spot. It's good to see personally. And I agree with you on Hack. I think we all had that "WTF" moment when the pick was initially made, but as we got more familiar with his past it began to look like the guy was a quality pick up. He basically looks like a guy with 1st round talent but with "issues" that needs to be corrected which is what made him a 2nd rounder. 

What I like about Macc the most is that with our prior GM's its like we're always "wishing upon a star" and thinking optimistically about what the GM could possibly bring to the table...Macc is actually DOING it. 

Marshall for a 5th round pick will go down as one of the best trades in Jets history. 

18 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

@Paradis

Before you say it, Lynch looked solid. I just finished watching the game, dude threw some darts in his first 2 drives. Probably would have thrown more if the game wasnt such a blowout. 

Really expected the Jets to take him if he was on the board...made it tough that Elway and the SB champs traded up to get him.

Either way...it is what it is...onward with Lee/Hack.

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Really expected the Jets to take him if he was on the board...made it tough that Elway and the SB champs traded up to get him.

Either way...it is what it is...onward with Lee/Hack.

For sure. 

I just know @Paradis was giddy after that performance. Lynch looked good. Im happy with Lee, though we have no idea what Hack is. If he doesnt get any reps in camp this week I doubt we'll see him in game 2 as well.  

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

For sure. 

I just know @Paradis was giddy after that performance. Lynch looked good. Im happy with Lee, though we have no idea what Hack is. If he doesnt get any reps in camp this week I doubt we'll see him in game 2 also. 

Only saw Hack get a few reps yesterday...a completed screen pass and a shotgun snap through his hands.  Seemed to be some disagreement in sidelines from observers if snap was catchable or not.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Only saw Hack get a few reps yesterday...a completed screen pass and a shotgun snap through his hands.  Seemed to be some disagreement in sidelines from observers if snap was catchable or not.

Well that doesnt sound good. He'll be hidden this year like Petty was last season. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Well that doesnt sound good. He'll be hidden this year like Petty was last season. 

I am ok with not seeing Hack at all this preseason and I think the extra time for his development is a good thing, hard to imagine his play in the Big Ten would translate to NFL success in 1 camp, Mac drafted the kid for his potential (he has the tools) now the coaches need to do their work during the season and next off-season to give him a chance, it seems to have worked (or started to work) for Petty.

It would be nice if the NFL had a better way to "red-shirt" players like Hack, I think the worst thing the Jets can do to him is throw him out there and crush his confidence (especially after his last couple of years in Happy Valley)

both Mark and Geno may have been better with some NFL development first, although I am not sure how much training is needed to remove that "deer in the headlights" panic mode...

13 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I am ok with not seeing Hack at all this preseason and I think the extra time for his development is a good thing, hard to imagine his play in the Big Ten would translate to NFL success in 1 camp, Mac drafted the kid for his potential (he has the tools) now the coaches need to do their work during the season and next off-season to give him a chance, it seems to have worked (or started to work) for Petty.

It would be nice if the NFL had a better way to "red-shirt" players like Hack, I think the worst thing the Jets can do to him is throw him out there and crush his confidence (especially after his last couple of years in Happy Valley)

both Mark and Geno may have been better with some NFL development first, although I am not sure how much training is needed to remove that "deer in the headlights" panic mode...

True. I'd be okay with it from the perspective that I trust the decisions of the guys running this team. I'd be lying though if I said that I didnt "want" to see him, but thats more for the fact that outside of his freshman season he didnt really have good tape. That entire Penn state Oline looked like Wayne Hunter clones. 

Archived