Training camp thread 08/14/16

JETSfaninNE

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

I watched the game twice, did anyone see Geno talking to or joking around with any other players during the jax game?   

I saw him talking to BMarsh, and he had to get his attention, and it seemed BMarsh did not really want to engage in the conversation, and it looked like it was a serious football convo Geno was trying to strike up, it was late in the game when I saw the camera flash on this scene for about 5 seconds.

Something seems to be going on inside the Jets locker room, and with the coaches with Geno, or Petty like the room is shifting to Petty, and/or away from Geno, and I think it is a real thing happening not something the media wants you to think is happening.

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Its easy to hear when they're always following him. He must be important in some capacity. Trust me, Jets fans know more about his situation than he does. 

Not sure what will come of Geno but unless Petty implodes under pressure he will make the team......

6 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I saw him talking to BMarsh, and he had to get his attention, and it seemed BMarsh did not really want to engage in the conversation, and it looked like it was a serious football convo Geno was trying to strike up, it was late in the game when I saw the camera flash on this scene for about 5 seconds.

Something seems to be going on inside the Jets locker room, and with the coaches with Geno, or Petty like the room is shifting to Petty, and/or away from Geno, and I think it is a real thing happening not something the media wants you to think is happening.

I saw that and almost felt sorry for Geno....Marshal seems like bad actor

2 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I saw that and almost felt sorry for Geno....Marshal seems like bad actor

Agree on both, Marshall wears his emotions on his sleeve, and I thought the same about felling bad for Geno, he was just trying to pick his brain about something it seemed, and BMarsh was like dude your not worth my time right now sorry, but without the sorry lol.

8 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Not sure what will come of Geno but unless Petty implodes under pressure he will make the team......

3 more games to go. I think Geno understands that he's auditioning for other teams as well as trying to win a #2 spot on his current team. 

Lets see how it plays out. 

35 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Geno Smith is QB2, says New York Jets coach

By Jerry Beach, The Sports Xchange   |   Aug. 13, 2016 at 11:16 PM

Geno-Smith-is-QB2-says-New-York-Jets-coa

Geno Smith arrives on the red carpet at the XXIII Gridiron Gala at New York Hilton Midtown on May 10, 2016 in New York City. Photo by John Angelillo/UPI 
| License Photo

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Geno Smith never got a chance to compete for the New York Jets' starting quarterback job. But he won't have to battle for the backup gig, either.

Head coach Todd Bowles said Saturday that Smith, who directed the drive that finished with what proved to be the game-winning touchdown in Thursday's 17-13 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars, is entrenched as the second-stringer behind Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Some eyebrows were raised Thursday night when second-year quarterback Bryce Petty played the final six series (counting a kneel-down in the final 10 seconds) against the Jaguars, but Bowles said Petty is not going to push Smith.

"Won't make a competition after one preseason game," Bowles said. "Geno's No. 2. Fitz is No. 1. Bryce is three."

Bowles added that "Hack" - second-round rookie Christian Hackenberg - is the fourth-stringer. Hackenberg did not play a snap Thursday night, which provided more evidence the Jets view this as a redshirt season for the Penn State product, who absorbed more than 100 sacks as a collegian.

The snaps that might have gone to Hackenberg will now fall to Petty, who has to prove to the Jets that it's worth carrying four quarterbacks into the regular season. Petty was a fourth-round pick in last year's draft but was active for just one game, during which he did not take the field.

Petty finished 7-for-14 for 93 yards. He didn't direct the Jets to any points, though rookie kicker Ross Martin missed field-goal attempts of 39 yards and 53 yards.

"I felt like I was so much more comfortable than last year, which is exactly what I wanted," Petty said.

15 minutes ago, F.Chowds said:

Geno-Smith-is-QB2-says-New-York-Jets-coa

Geno Smith arrives on the red carpet at the XXIII Gridiron Gala at New York Hilton Midtown on May 10, 2016 in New York City. Photo by John Angelillo/UPI 
| License Photo

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Geno Smith never got a chance to compete for the New York Jets' starting quarterback job. But he won't have to battle for the backup gig, either.

Head coach Todd Bowles said Saturday that Smith, who directed the drive that finished with what proved to be the game-winning touchdown in Thursday's 17-13 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars, is entrenched as the second-stringer behind Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Some eyebrows were raised Thursday night when second-year quarterback Bryce Petty played the final six series (counting a kneel-down in the final 10 seconds) against the Jaguars, but Bowles said Petty is not going to push Smith.

"Won't make a competition after one preseason game," Bowles said. "Geno's No. 2. Fitz is No. 1. Bryce is three."

Bowles added that "Hack" - second-round rookie Christian Hackenberg - is the fourth-stringer. Hackenberg did not play a snap Thursday night, which provided more evidence the Jets view this as a redshirt season for the Penn State product, who absorbed more than 100 sacks as a collegian.

The snaps that might have gone to Hackenberg will now fall to Petty, who has to prove to the Jets that it's worth carrying four quarterbacks into the regular season. Petty was a fourth-round pick in last year's draft but was active for just one game, during which he did not take the field.

Petty finished 7-for-14 for 93 yards. He didn't direct the Jets to any points, though rookie kicker Ross Martin missed field-goal attempts of 39 yards and 53 yards.

"I felt like I was so much more comfortable than last year, which is exactly what I wanted," Petty said.

Bowles be back peddling to keep the sharks at bay.

41 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Bowles be back peddling to keep the sharks at bay.

Certainly if Petty comes in as #2 QB vs. the Redskins we'll know there is legit competition for the spot despite the lip service .

Most likely though will be keeping their spots the same & the coaching staff finding a way to keep 4 QB's on the 53 man roster

1 minute ago, ljr said:

Certainly if Petty comes in as #2 QB vs. the Redskins we'll know there is legit competition for the spot despite the lip service .

Most likely though will be keeping their spots the same & the coaching staff finding a way to keep 4 QB's on the 53 man roster

With this being the deepest talent on the roster that I have seen in quite some time I just don't see the Jets carrying 4 QB's, and unless Petty, or Hack get IR'd I think 1 of Petty, or Geno is gone, Jets might try to stash Petty on PS, but I don't see that happening.  And what would be in the best interest of the Jets is for Petty to be the guy who stays if its one. or the other IMO.

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

With this being the deepest talent on the roster that I have seen in quite some time I just don't see the Jets carrying 4 QB's, and unless Petty, or Hack get IR'd I think 1 of Petty, or Geno is gone, Jets might try to stash Petty on PS, but I don't see that happening.  And what would be in the best interest of the Jets is for Petty to be the guy who stays if its one. or the other IMO.

It's a tough call, I almost agree with you ... I don't think think they've made up their minds yet.

i think Mac & Bowles view 2017 & beyond > 2016 ... Understandable

i think they are hoping for our QB's in 2017 or at worst def by 2018 to be #1 Hack #2 Petty (small possibility to have that order inverted )

i think they still want to see what Petty does the next 2-3 preseason games before making up their minds on he & Geno's roster standings

if Petty plays similarly or better to his week 1 game then Geno is gone.

if Petty plays slightly worse they keep 4 & don't chance losing him via a practice squad move.

If Petty s*cks it up he gets practice squaded

jmo

3 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

I watch the game a 2nd time and it almost seem like Fitz and Marshall were laughin at Geno from sideline

Agree. Also seems like Marshall and the whole team were rooting for Petty when he was in the game. 

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Agree on both, Marshall wears his emotions on his sleeve, and I thought the same about felling bad for Geno, he was just trying to pick his brain about something it seemed, and BMarsh was like dude your not worth my time right now sorry, but without the sorry lol.

I totally agree. I mentioned this on the board the other day. Kinda seemed like Marshall wasn't picking up whatever Geno was putting down.

There's nothing for Bowles to say that's going to be helpful to the team or any of the players by admitting there is open competition for the #2 role--regardless of whether there is actual competition. This is either the truth or a non-answer.

If we're keeping Geno then there's no reason for Bowles to call him out.

If we're getting rid of Geno then there's no reason to diminish his potential trade value.

If the decision hasn't been made then there's no reason to push either, or both, of the above scenarios. 

4 hours ago, F.Chowds said:

| License Photo

Head coach Todd Bowles said Saturday that Smith, who directed the drive that finished with what proved to be the game-winning touchdown in Thursday's 17-13 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars, is entrenched as the second-stringer behind Ryan Fitzpatrick.ome eyebrows were raised Thursday night when second-year quarterback Bryce Petty played the final six series (counting a kneel-down in the final 10 seconds) against the Jaguars, but Bowles said Petty is not going to push Smith.

Listen, Geno comments are fine but no pics.  

SAR I

9 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

There's nothing for Bowles to say that's going to be helpful to the team or any of the players by admitting there is open competition for the #2 role--regardless of whether there is actual competition. This is either the truth or a non-answer.

If we're keeping Geno then there's no reason for Bowles to call him out.

If we're getting rid of Geno then there's no reason to diminish his potential trade value.

If the decision hasn't been made then there's no reason to push either, or both, of the above scenarios. 

There was a split second that i thought this but I dont think that other GMs will see geno as more valuable in a trade whether he is listed as #2 or #3.  Will be interesting to see how PT plays out in game 2 of the preseason.  Actions speak louder than words.  In truth, if we are moving Geno(I couldnt imagine what we would get in a trade) it will happen soon as he will be far far behind in his new teams playbook.  Also, can the coaches really trust the season to a second year player that had a decent few series against #2 and #3 defenses in the first game of preseason?  

13 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

There was a split second that i thought this but I dont think that other GMs will see geno as more valuable in a trade whether he is listed as #2 or #3.  Will be interesting to see how PT plays out in game 2 of the preseason.  Actions speak louder than words.  In truth, if we are moving Geno(I couldnt imagine what we would get in a trade) it will happen soon as he will be far far behind in his new teams playbook.  Also, can the coaches really trust the season to a second year player that had a decent few series against #2 and #3 defenses in the first game of preseason?  

Unless Petty gets considerably better or Geno gets considerably worse we probably come in with all four QBs, at least early in the season. However, if preseason game 1 is setting the trajectories for both players the probability that Geno is at least behind Petty on the chart is IMO far more likely than it was a week ago. I expected a lot less from Petty and a lot more from Geno.

If I'm Macc looking to potentially trade Geno then I don't want my head coach out there talking about how a second year, third round pick out-competed a fourth year player with two years of starter experience that I'm trying to trade. The position on the depth chart is a minor issue. The greater problem would be Bowles suggesting the two are equal or that Geno is the inferior of the two. Good luck trying to get anything worthwhile in that trade. No reason to take the risk of having to cut him for nothing. 

20 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Not practicing: S Middleton, TE Saxton, RB Pierce, OLB Catapano, and RB Morris. Forte doing individuals today. Harris back.Aug 14, 2016, 1:34 PM

Am I the only one who is a bit worried about our depth at RB?  And will one of these guys emerge to fill the bruiser role?  I hope the first regular season game is not Forte's first.

People round these parts should know by now that Bowles and Mac tell you nothing when they are talking to the media.  Geno is #2 that could change in a week a day or a minute.  Just as Geno was #1 last year going into camp as if he was declared the 100% #1 starter.  When you don;t have a franchise QB your rankings change depending on how guys are playing.

10 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Am I the only one who is a bit worried about our depth at RB?  And will one of these guys emerge to fill the bruiser role?  I hope the first regular season game is not Forte's first.

Nope, Forte in particular has me worried. If he's gonna be hurt or playing games here and there hobbling we will be in trouble. 

First 4/5 games last year our run game opened up our passing game. Then later on our passing game led our offense. But we saw what happened in Buffalo with Ivory and Pilal out. We need to keep defenses honest with some run game.

7 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Nope, Forte in particular has me worried. If he's gonna be hurt or playing games here and there hobbling we will be in trouble. 

First 4/5 games last year our run game opened up our passing game. Then later on our passing game led our offense. But we saw what happened in Buffalo with Ivory and Pilal out. We need to keep defenses honest with some run game.

And we need to chew up clock in the fourth quarter with runs if we are fortunate enough to have a lead.

What's to worry about.

We have lost

Morris, who probably was headed to the practice squad best case.

Pierce, a veteran who at most would be quality depth behind our top 3 .

Williams, who is in the same boat as Morris .

We have our top 3 still available for opening day and have added 2 players to carry us through the next game when we will most likely have Williams and Morris and Pierce all back for the 3rd and 4th games of the preseason. I see a non issue.

That is all.  

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

What's to worry about.

We have lost

Morris, who probably was headed to the practice squad best case.

Pierce, a veteran who at most would be quality depth behind our top 3 .

Williams, who is in the same boat as Morris .

We have our top 3 still available for opening day and have added 2 players to carry us through the next game when we will most likely have Williams and Morris and Pierce all back for the 3rd and 4th games of the preseason. I see a non issue.

That is all.  

Isn't it a passing league, anyway?:D

Archived