Pierce to IR, Jets sign RB Antone Smith

JETSfaninNE

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And no matter what he does or donated you'd be the team that brought in a woman beater.  In the media capital of the world.  You're not understanding what will happen.  Tebow, Vick and Rex were enough.

and we could also be an example for other franchises, for second chances.  Giving a local guy another shot when no one else would.  he'd have the largest media market to get the anti DV message out to more people.  I understand it's not happening, i just wish it would for personal reasons.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

and we could also be an example for other franchises, for second chances.  Giving a local guy another shot when no one else would.  he'd have the largest media market to get the anti DV message out to more people.  I understand it's not happening, i just wish it would for personal reasons.

No way.

We would be another team the media calls out for overlooking a player being a POS if he can help.  Another they'll sell their soul for a chance to win cry.  It's been done plenty of times before.  There's no need to show the.  Rarely works, if ever.  Add in that we'll be fine when the season starts, they're just looking for practice bodies right now. 

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No way.

We would be another team the media calls out for overlooking a player being a POS if he can help.  Another they'll sell their soul for a chance to win cry.  It's been done plenty of times before.  There's no need to show the.  Rarely works, if ever.  Add in that we'll be fine when the season starts, they're just looking for practice bodies right now. 

I think this is very different, the man has been blackballed for over 2 years now.  It's not like signing Greg Hardy.  this isn't a star caliber player anymore, he's a role player.  They can turn that negative publicity into a positive which would start w/ him donating all of his salary.  it will take an organization w/ a backbone- that probably isn't us.

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

No he wasn't, he had ONE down year where he played hurt.  I don't know what he can do, I know he is in great shape and refreshed but 2 years out may be too much?  it's a no risk gamble though.  it's not like they'd have to give him a big contract.

yeah but what if he knocks out our back up QB ? Then what ?

20 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I think this is very different, the man has been blackballed for over 2 years now.  It's not like signing Greg Hardy.  this isn't a star caliber player anymore, he's a role player.  They can turn that negative publicity into a positive which would start w/ him donating all of his salary.  it will take an organization w/ a backbone- that probably isn't us.

It would take an organization that's desperate.  We're clearly not.   Backbone has nothing to do with it.  Doesn't take backbone to decide you're going to be a laughingstock and going to have woman's groups protesting at your game or absorbing all the negative press for a part time player who more than likely isn't any better than what you already have.  

No one cares if the woman beater donates money or not.  That's a nonsensical ploy by Rice to get his career back in order.  Never, ever heard of a player signed because he'll donate his paycheck.  

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It would take an organization that's desperate.  We're clearly not.   Backbone has nothing to do with it.  Doesn't take backbone to decide you're going to be a laughingstock and going to have woman's groups protesting at your game or absorbing all the negative press for a part time player who more than likely isn't any better than what you already have.  

No one cares if the woman beater donates money or not.  That's a nonsensical ploy by Rice to get his career back in order.  Never, ever heard of a player signed because he'll donate his paycheck.  

did any women's groups protest Brandon Marshall last year? and I assume you want him gone b/c he did beat his wife and has a long list of offenses.  Brandon got a 2nd chance, he appears to have turned around his life.  Ray Rice deserves that chance as well.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

did any women's groups protest Brandon Marshall last year? and I assume you want him gone b/c he did beat his wife and has a long list of offenses.  Brandon got a 2nd chance, he appears to have turned around his life.  Ray Rice deserves that chance as well.

Brandon Marshall wasn't all over th TV punching out a woman and dragging her onto an elevator.  Brandon didn't get caught like Rice did.  People who don't know a football from a baseball know what Rice did.  Compounded by the NFL bumbling of the case.  Not the same with Marshall, no one knows what he did.  

Got to ask, you keep alluding to personal reasons why you're pulling for Rice.  What are they?  

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Brandon Marshall wasn't all over th TV punching out a woman and dragging her onto an elevator.  Brandon didn't get caught like Rice did.  People who don't know a football from a baseball know what Rice did.  Compounded by the NFL bumbling of the case.  Not the same with Marshall, no one knows what he did.  

Got to ask, you keep alluding to personal reasons why you're pulling for Rice.  What are they?  

IIRC, Marshall was stabbed by his wife and they got into a fist fight that they were both arrested for. Not even close to the same thing.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

but he did it and he did it multiple times.  They can take a huge negative and turn it into a positive, people would have went nuts if he played that season but I don't think there will be a big backlash if he signs now as long as he shows genuine remorse(which he has and continues to do) when he is introduced and steps up in the community where he is playing to help stop DV.

I have discussed it before, I know him so I have more of a rooting interest but again I completely understand anyone who doesn't like him or want to give him a chance and he understands that line of thinking too.  He knows he isn't owed another chance but he will be grateful if he gets another chance.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

but he did it and he did it multiple times.  They can take a huge negative and turn it into a positive, people would have went nuts if he played that season but I don't think there will be a big backlash if he signs now as long as he shows genuine remorse(which he has and continues to do) when he is introduced and steps up in the community where he is playing to help stop DV.

I have discussed it before, I know him so I have more of a rooting interest but again I completely understand anyone who doesn't like him or want to give him a chance and he understands that line of thinking too.  He knows he isn't owed another chance but he will be grateful if he gets another chance.

Well I don't think it's the same thing, Marshall as Mogglez said was attacked-stabbed by his wife.  And for good or bad Marshall is still at the top of his profession, Rice is a complete unknown.  Marshall filled a huge void left by Idzik, we're set at RB. 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Well I don't think it's the same thing, Marshall as Mogglez said was attacked-stabbed by his wife.  And for good or bad Marshall is still at the top of his profession, Rice is a complete unknown.  Marshall filled a huge void left by Idzik, we're set at RB. 

I love Marshall, the man appears like he has his mental disorder under control but he had issues prior- a lot of issues.  it wasn't just the one incident.

I understand your point of view and it's the same as most fans, I might be saying the same thing under different circumstances.

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

IIRC, Marshall was stabbed by his wife and they got into a fist fight that they were both arrested for. Not even close to the same thing.

oh so if ray's wife hit him then it would have been ok?

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-03-14/sports/chi-brandon-marshalls-rap-sheet-20120314_1_brandon-marshall-rasheedah-watley-press-charges

this is far worse than what ray did(though what ray did was awful).

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

I love Marshall, the man appears like he has his mental disorder under control but he had issues prior- a lot of issues.  it wasn't just the one incident.

I understand your point of view and it's the same as most fans, I might be saying the same thing under different circumstances.

3 issues involving women.  One was his wife, who stabbed him.  The 1st he was accused of refusing to let th cab with his fiancé leave.  Charges were dropped.  The other was also dropped.  Who knows?  What we do know because we all saw it was that Rice popped his fiancé and dragged her into an elevator.  That image will never go away.  People were up in arms that the suspension was too short.  That's not gone, sorry for your friend. 

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

oh so if ray's wife hit him then it would have been ok?

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-03-14/sports/chi-brandon-marshalls-rap-sheet-20120314_1_brandon-marshall-rasheedah-watley-press-charges

this is far worse than what ray did(though what ray did was awful).

Well that last one (woman in the club) was thrown out. If my wife/gf/etc. stabbed me, you can best believe I'm defending myself.  So yes, if Ray's wife did something similar, I would consider it justified.

Torn on this one.

Rice deserves a second chance. But the Jets have had enough circus around them for so long that a period of calm is needed in this organisation. So while I have no issue with Ray Race being given a role I just don't think right now we should be the team doing it, regardless of what he could bring.

15 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

Torn on this one.

Rice deserves a second chance. But the Jets have had enough circus around them for so long that a period of calm is needed in this organisation. So while I have no issue with Ray Race being given a role I just don't think right now we should be the team doing it, regardless of what he could bring.

I can see your point. If his own wife is willing to forgive him then its is what it is. With that said, you wouldnt hear the end of it with the NY media. It will be more of a distraction than a potential talent benefit. If Rice ever re-enters the league it has to be in a much smaller market. The problem is with the age of the internet, how small is that market today really? 

IMO Rice ended his career on that elevator. It's one thing when you hear reports about a player, looking at that tape however completely changes things. Guys have to learn how to control the actions behind their emotions by keeping their hands to themselves. I didnt dive too much into the specifics of the incident, but whatever she allegedly did to get you to that point, it would have just been better to break off the relationship. Atleast he'd still have his dream job. One moment of just totally poor judgement ruined everything he worked for since playing at New Rochelle High School. 

43 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

Torn on this one.

Jets don't need Ray Rice just because they're protecting veteran RBs by signing camp bodies. It'll be fine.

Rice won't get a 2nd chance because of the video. Simple as that. If a team were to sign him every news, entertainment medium would show the video every chance they get for weeks. And of course all talk shows, radio & TV, would be talking about it. 

Why do you think Greg Hardy got a 2nd chance and even had team visits months ago. No video. 

7 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Rice won't get a 2nd chance because of the video. Simple as that. If a team were to sign him every news, entertainment medium would show the video every chance they get for weeks. And of course all talk shows, radio & TV, would be talking about it. 

Why do you think Greg Hardy got a 2nd chance and even had team visits months ago. No video. 

Rice showed little to no production in his last season in Baltimore. Hardy on the other hand showed he had value that's why Jerry signed him. In Dallas he had no production as well as issues thus on the outside looking in. Personally from what Rice has shown since the incident I believe he deserves a chance to walk the walk. Not saying what he did was right just that he has shown growth with his issues and needs to have the opportunity to show the public.

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Ray Rice comeback would be the feel good story of the 2016 NFL season 

He made a brutal mistake paid the price like so many others everyone deserves a second chance except a killer,rapist and a child molester. 

The only way a Ray Rice return would be a feel-good story is if it ended with him getting laid out the way Anquan Boldin got knocked out by Eric Smith a few years ago. 

Beating the sh!t out of your wife isn't "a mistake."

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Marshall did what very few people do. He got treatment and turned his life around and he deserves a lot of credit for understanding he had a problem in the first place then acting on it to help himself. That's nothing against Ray Rice I'm sure he probably has his life in order as well but with the NFL making such a large effort to rid the league of abuse having Rice on film makes matters much worse for him.

13 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Ray Rice comeback would be the feel good story of the 2016 NFL season 

He made a brutal mistake paid the price like so many others everyone deserves a second chance except a killer,rapist and a child molester. 

if Rex was still our coach, ya might happen,,Bowles and Mac = NEVER

18 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Seahawks have a surplus of RBs. Christine Michael looks like he gets it, finally. I read this morning that CJ Procise may get cut. If we still need legs, keep an eye on him.

I really liked Prosise in the draft but Seattle took him with the 90th pick.

I doubt they waste a 3rd by cutting him.

We also have 2 other backs similar in style in Forte and Powell.

13 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

3 issues involving women.  One was his wife, who stabbed him.  The 1st he was accused of refusing to let th cab with his fiancé leave.  Charges were dropped.  The other was also dropped.  Who knows?  What we do know because we all saw it was that Rice popped his fiancé and dragged her into an elevator.  That image will never go away.  People were up in arms that the suspension was too short.  That's not gone, sorry for your friend. 

the suspension when it was 2 games was too short, it's been over 2 years now.  Brandon was constantly involved in domestic disputes.  We need to be fair, if we can't ever sign Ray then how can we have Brandon?

13 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Well that last one (woman in the club) was thrown out. If my wife/gf/etc. stabbed me, you can best believe I'm defending myself.  So yes, if Ray's wife did something similar, I would consider it justified.

we know every case that is thrown out means nothing happened.  he was a repeat offender, what he did was worse.

9 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Marshall did what very few people do. He got treatment and turned his life around and he deserves a lot of credit for understanding he had a problem in the first place then acting on it to help himself. That's nothing against Ray Rice I'm sure he probably has his life in order as well but with the NFL making such a large effort to rid the league of abuse having Rice on film makes matters much worse for him.

I agree, it appears(b/c we don't really know) that Brandon has completely turned his life around.  My point was not to bash Brandon b/c he appears to have finally settled down, received treatment for his issues and is in a good place but he has a LONG history of domestic violence and other charges.  I am glad he appears to have corrected those issues and that he is an advocate for mental health issues.  Ray would be an advocate against domestic violence.  I know he's not coming here, I just hope he gets another shot so he can do what Brandon has done(not as a player but using his platform as a high profile athlete to raise awareness).

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I really liked Prosise in the draft but Seattle took him with the 90th pick.

I doubt they waste a 3rd by cutting him.

We also have 2 other backs similar in style in Forte and Powell.

There's no rule saying you have to have 1 of every type of back. In fact, having similar skill sets means that if option A gets hurt, option B can step in without necessitating a scheme change. Especially nice, if the scheme works!

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

the suspension when it was 2 games was too short, it's been over 2 years now.  Brandon was constantly involved in domestic disputes.  We need to be fair, if we can't ever sign Ray then how can we have Brandon?

we know every case that is thrown out means nothing happened.  he was a repeat offender, what he did was worse.

I agree, it appears(b/c we don't really know) that Brandon has completely turned his life around.  My point was not to bash Brandon b/c he appears to have finally settled down, received treatment for his issues and is in a good place but he has a LONG history of domestic violence and other charges.  I am glad he appears to have corrected those issues and that he is an advocate for mental health issues.  Ray would be an advocate against domestic violence.  I know he's not coming here, I just hope he gets another shot so he can do what Brandon has done(not as a player but using his platform as a high profile athlete to raise awareness).

I get your point but I'll say it again.  There isn't video of Marshall doing anything wrong.  It didn't become a national story like Rice.  No matter what we believe happened with Marshall in the past there is a chance that it didn't happen like we assume.  There's a chance nothing happened.  Who knows for sure.  There is no question what happened with Rice.  We all saw it.  Started a huge shlt show that effected the players, the commission and the league.  Huge difference. 

Archived