First team defense...

jetscrazey

I know it's preseason, I know Mo was out, but the 1st team D looked like trash tonight.  The front 7 got run all over.  This team appears to have 0 starting-caliber OLBs, they're actually making me miss Calvin Pace the dinosaur.  The ILBs looked shaky as well.

In the secondary, outside of Revis the whole unit looks to be playing at half speed.  Bowles did not employ much man coverage or blitz aggressively, but McCoy really picked apart their base looks.

Also, the tackling has to improve.  If we see missed tackles on this level in week 1 it's going to be a major issue.

I am not as worried about the offense (other than the fact that Austin Davis should never be allowed to go out for a pass ever again), but right now I am struggling to see how this defense is going to be an "elite" unit again this year.

2 hours ago, GangisGreen said:

Posts like this is exactly why I hate preseason football.

I hate preseason football too.  But that time of possession given up by the first team defense is concerning nonetheless.  They got owned.  The coaches are going to be very pissed after looking at that tape, without a doubt.  I hope Bowles is able to go full tilt with the defense for the 3rd preseason game.

I would say preseason is a time where we see if the new players are up to par, as a lot of the vets won't play at 100%. So it doesn't bother me if say Revis gives up a pass.

it does bother me when young guys, new players and rookies and things like that give up plays bc it means the Jets will have to game plan around those particular weaknesses assuming they stick on the team.

This game has confirmed several things that were a concern.  Depth at OL is a serious problem.  I also doubt that our starting TE is on the roster atm.  Depth at corner and our lack of a starting caliber number 2 with man to man skills is troubling.  The loss of Snacks hurts the run D at least until we see Mo come back and maybe Williams can play NT in a few looks.   Related to that, we have a LB core with range and some cover ability, however they don't show the ability to rush the passer and they were getting easily moved in run D.

I'm not that worried about the offense barring injury, but yea the lack of an elite runner like last year is pretty evident, even in preseason.

It's preseason game two and the Jets starting defense looks awful once again. Mo asked for all that money when management should have pushed to resign Snacks to man the middle. Mo saw more double teams and was a non factor in the short time he played. I told everyone on Twitter and every others means hat Mo would not be as dominant without Snacks. Time will tell if I'm right?  ?

3 hours ago, Goinggreen said:

It's preseason game two and the Jets starting defense looks awful once again. Mo asked for all that money when management should have pushed to resign Snacks to man the middle. Mo saw more double teams and was a non factor in the short time he played. I told everyone on Twitter and every others means hat Mo would not be as dominant without Snacks. Time will tell if I'm right?  ?

Mo didn't play.

4 hours ago, Goinggreen said:

lol

4 hours ago, Goinggreen said:

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Mo didn't play.

LOL.  Jet Fans.

15 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Keyshawn and Toon looked bad tonight too. I hope Ewbank doesn't think this is a legit #1/#2 WR combo heading in to the wildcard round. 

As for the D? Don't even get me started on John Abraham.

I live in Virginia.  Atalanta is not on here very much, but every time I saw them, even a glance at another TV in a sports bar Abe was getting a sack. Felt like I was being hazed. 

12 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Preseason. Away game in preseason. None to little game planning. You know as a vet stater you'll only be playing 1-2 series.  Motivation to care other than don't get hurt? 

We really didn't run the ball at all, unless you can call T-Bo and Housewares RBs. We are not a zone team but we stayed in zone all game. Obviously Bowles wants to see certain things, and is not concerned with winning preseason.

That said we need to put a couple drives together next week, and I'm not sure if the Leo at NT experiment is going to work on running downs. Amaro needs to play the whole game next week and get these drops out of his head or we're going to need a new TE on gameday. 

Mostly I hope Q, Mauldin, and Henderson are okay.  

39 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I live in Virginia.  Atalanta is not on here very much, but every time I saw them, even a glance at another TV in a sports bar Abe was getting a sack. Felt like I was being hazed. 

Definitely OT, but...

I was 27 when that trade happened, 10 years ago. I was pissed when he alluded to 'looking out for his health' (Free Agency) when he didn't play a game, think it was a playoff game. 

Then he did really well in ATL and I realized he had a point. That said, we got Mangold for him. 

13 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

I know it's preseason, I know Mo was out, but the 1st team D looked like trash tonight.  The front 7 got run all over.  This team appears to have 0 starting-caliber OLBs, they're actually making me miss Calvin Pace the dinosaur.  The ILBs looked shaky as well.

In the secondary, outside of Revis the whole unit looks to be playing at half speed.  Bowles did not employ much man coverage or blitz aggressively, but McCoy really picked apart their base looks.

Also, the tackling has to improve.  If we see missed tackles on this level in week 1 it's going to be a major issue.

I am not as worried about the offense (other than the fact that Austin Davis should never be allowed to go out for a pass ever again), but right now I am struggling to see how this defense is going to be an "elite" unit again this year.

I love preseason.....it is only time you get real good looks at 2s and 3s

as a long suffering jet fan my fav time of the year is draft, preseason, and training camp.  It represents hope that has so often been shattered over the years during regular season but keeps me coming back

i think the 1s are not really playing full speed as they are worried about injury...if they are flat against giants next week I will start to worry

19 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Sadly the Jets defense made Colt McCoy look like a good QB

Maybe but not sure anyone on the Jets first team defense broke a sweat last night, and Revis had a pick

Nate Sudfeld led the winning drive, some folks on the board wanted to draft him, more interesting then McCoy  

Started off thinking, "this thread is gonna suck", but since then I've been laughing out loud. Lol. We're awesome Jets fans, gotta admit. You can lump me right in with the "sky is falling crowd", too. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a Jets game in my life. It's a constant source of stress.

for the next 2-3 weeks, can we just all post under the assumption EVERYBODY knows it's just preseason yet has a right to be a little bit concerned?

I am discouraged about the 1st team D, too.

14 hours ago, David Harris said:

The point in playing the preseason is to see how good you are, where you are at. It's perfectly reasonable to say that you are worried about your football team when your football players look terrible

It's not reasonable to be that concerned when Bowles is playing off man and rarely blitzing. Which is the complete opposite of what his defense typically does.  The first play of the game on defense is a great example. Defense blitzes from the outside, Jordan Jenkins crushed the QB, but he completes the slant bc the CB's are 10 yards off the WR. That ball gets picked in a real game or at the very least is incomplete. Judging offense or defense in preseason is useless bc there is no gameplanning and the scheme is very vanilla. Thats why Dak Prescott looks like Joe Montana right now. 

9 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Mo didn't play.

12 hours ago, Goinggreen said:

Ummm... Did you even watch the game? Mo didn't play. But technically you were right. He wasn't dominant yesterday from the sidelines. 

Archived