Why we haven't seen Hack IMO

Snell41

I don't think it has anything to do with bringing him along slowly at all. Teams across the league are playing rookies. We are witnessing the Geno/Bryce competition, and Bryce is winning. They're getting a good hard look at Bryce to see if they're comfortable with him at backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Snell41 said:

I don't think it has anything to do with bringing him along slowly at all. Teams across the league are playing rookies. We are witnessing the Geno/Bryce competition, and Bryce is winning. They're getting a good hard look at Bryce to see if they're comfortable with him at backup.

This was going to be a redshirt year for hack anyway. Let him sit for a year and build him from the ground up. He checks all the boxes from a physical and mental standpoint he just needs to be coached up the right way

2 minutes ago, cant wait said:

This was going to be a redshirt year for hack anyway. Let him sit for a year and build him from the ground up. He checks all the boxes from a physical and mental standpoint he just needs to be coached up the right way

Agree

The general consensus from draft day was that Hack needed alot of work to be legit, so IMO hes out of the picture till 2017 at the very least. 

The #2 spot was always in question between Petty and Geno, and the CS wants film on THEM not Hack right now.

I suspect going into the preseason games the coaching staff really wanted to see Petty so Hack was not slated to see much time. I do wonder how much less field time Hack will see as a result of Petty's surprising rise this offseason. 

No matter one's opinion of Geno or Fitz--I hope we can all agree that it's exciting to see the team have a problem of too many QBs we want to keep on the roster versus arguing which poor performing QB should help the offense limp along to the finish line.

13 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Wow....

This is a great point and I think that you may be right.

The truth is Fitz is definitely the starter and Geno has been the number two since last year.  The key question is whether Petty has the ability and make up to over take him sometime this year, and if the coaching staff says "yes", then they may roll the dice and actually either demote Geno or let him go, either option I thought was impossible at the begining of this off season.

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed.  It will be interesting to see how Geno reacts to the pressure.  

Could you imagine how much more interesting it would be if we hadn't signed fitz. 

I Thought the jets would have signed foles or worked a deal for mccown. hard to think they would have felt comfortable without a veteran option 

7 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Wow....

This is a great point and I think that you may be right.

The truth is Fitz is definitely the starter and Geno has been the number two since last year.  The key question is whether Petty has the ability and make up to over take him sometime this year, and if the coaching staff says "yes", then they may roll the dice and actually either demote Geno or let him go, either option I thought was impossible at the begining of this off season.

There's no demoting Geno. Either he's the backup, or he's cut. 

Maccagnan and Bowles will use the same methodic strategy with Hack as they did, and are doing, with Petty. Let them learn the playbook, then ease them in. Playing time and snaps with the 1's and 2's increase as they show marked improvement.

We need to forget about Hack until next year at this time. 

If the OP is correct I wonder how much of a dropoff Geno to Petty is. The only thing Geno really has over Bryce is experience and he doesn't seem to be learning from previous mistakes when the bullets are live. I think he has potential but don't know that he'll ever put it all together to really become consistently good. Whatever decision they make at the number 2 QB spot will probably be tested with Fitz's style of play. I'd like to see Geno and Petty rotate the second half against the Giants and then make a decision and give Hack the 4th game.

1 hour ago, Jet in PA said:

If the OP is correct I wonder how much of a dropoff Geno to Petty is. The only thing Geno really has over Bryce is experience and he doesn't seem to be learning from previous mistakes when the bullets are live. I think he has potential but don't know that he'll ever put it all together to really become consistently good. Whatever decision they make at the number 2 QB spot will probably be tested with Fitz's style of play. I'd like to see Geno and Petty rotate the second half against the Giants and then make a decision and give Hack the 4th game.

Geno looks to me, every time I see him, like he has learned absolutely NOTHING. And he never will. 

I am just hoping Petty really seals the deal here soon. Geno needs to go. Addition by subtraction. I'm sure they gotta be sure tho. Smart thing to do. They actually appear to be doing smart things.. Woah!! 

3 hours ago, cant wait said:

I Thought the jets would have signed foles or worked a deal for mccown. hard to think they would have felt comfortable without a veteran option 

Funny thing is we Drafted Hack, and if Petty keeps improving, Hack will be irrelevant.

50 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Funny thing is we Drafted Hack, and if Petty keeps improving, Hack will be irrelevant.

As they say, nice problem to have! :-)

If either of our 2 young QBs turns out, the other one is either a backup to develop, trade bait, or a guy you just cut and start over on. But you've got your #1 guy.

Fingers crossed one of them works out for us.

Given that we will definitely have Devin Smith on the PUP list to start the season, there may be merit in keeping all 4 QBs to see how things play out.

Maybe a team has an injury and offers something in trade for Geno. Maybe we play it safe in case Fitz gets injured in the first 6 weeks. It gives us the time to see what else happens before making the final decision.

Posted this in team petty thread...

You our still have to keep all 4, IMO.

you can't go into season w Hack as the #3, can you? So you have to keep all 4.

1-fitz

2-petty

3-geno

4-hack

also..can't we play some Patriot games? Hack to the IR for some BS reason?? This way he's not exposed to the practice squad?

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed.  It will be interesting to see how Geno reacts to the pressure.  

Could you imagine how much more interesting it would be if we hadn't signed fitz. 

It won't be that interesting.  We already know how he reacts under pressure.   He folds like a cheap suit. 

30 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

1-fitz

2-petty

3-geno

4-hack

also..can't we play some Patriot games? Hack to the IR for some BS reason?? This way he's not exposed to the practice squad?

IR means he can't practice.  

40 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

1-fitz

2-petty

3-geno

4-hack

Yes, you can go into the season w/Hack as #3. Some teams only carry 2 QBs on their 53. 

Nah, then Hack can't run the scout team in practice. IR can't practice 

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

If Petty turns into a star QB for the Jets, no one will ever remember the Hackenberg pick. It'll be a popular trivia question. 

I think it's great he hasn't played yet.  Hope he's inactive for all 16 games.  Then next year, him and Petty can go to war and may the best man win  Hell, even if we bring Fitz back again in 17, with Petty as #2 and Hack doesn't play at all again in 17, that's fine with me, too.  I like Hack but 2 years of sitting and learning with no pressure would be great for him, or almost any NFL QB.  

14 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I think it's great he hasn't played yet.  Hope he's inactive for all 16 games.  Then next year, him and Petty can go to war and may the best man win  Hell, even if we bring Fitz back again in 17, with Petty as #2 and Hack doesn't play at all again in 17, that's fine with me, too.  I like Hack but 2 years of sitting and learning with no pressure would be great for him, or almost any NFL QB.  

Would be a luxury.

43 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I think that is exactly what this kid needs. We hoped he would come in and wow the CS but at least he is sitting and learning and hopefully getting his confidence back after getting crushed for a few years. I hear that douche Ross Tucker say how "weird" it is that we are not playing Hack but I think it's the best approach, why if you know a guy isn't ready to see the field would you put him in a bad situation. I can see maybe the 4th game with just some basic passes and a few handoffs.

Yes, you can go into the season w/Hack as #3. Some teams only carry 2 QBs on their 53. 

Nah, then Hack can't run the scout team in practice. IR can't practice 

IR Geno ... That way he can't hurt anyone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived