Why we haven't seen Hack IMO

Snell41

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

He's been here longer than that. But he should be able to play in a game. Why over protect him. If he does poorly ok, we expect a rookie to be on a learning curve. But they have to play him sometime. This is the exhibition season and the games don't count. We don't know how Petty would do in a regular season game. He's not a slam dunk. If Hack sits out the entire preseason that means he hasn't been in a game since Penn State in 2015. Let him get some experience. It's actually like playing minor league football which he should be capable of doing.

Holy crap. Two have this thought. 

I'm out. This place is freakin crazy. 

12 hours ago, Snell41 said:

I don't think it has anything to do with bringing him along slowly at all. Teams across the league are playing rookies. We are witnessing the Geno/Bryce competition, and Bryce is winning. They're getting a good hard look at Bryce to see if they're comfortable with him at backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed about the Geno/Petty competition but I do think they're bringing him slowly as well actually.  Apparently after a great freshman season he had a couple of really bad seasons after.  Maybe they think he's a little shell-shocked and needs to step away a little bit and learn in the video room first so he won't have that mentality of facing a jailbreak blitz every time (Penn State's OL was apparently terrible).  

12 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Maccagnan and Bowles will use the same methodic strategy with Hack as they did, and are doing, with Petty. Let them learn the playbook, then ease them in. Playing time and snaps with the 1's and 2's increase as they show marked improvement.

We need to forget about Hack until next year at this time. 

Not so sure about that Saul.  This time last year, after the 2nd game, Petty had 37 thrown passes.  Had a very nice game against Atlanta week 2.  12-19 168 yards 1TD 0 interceptions.

Even in practice Hack is only getting 2-3 reps a day.  This week he got a few more because they were doing card scrimmages and Hack was playing the scout QB.

What I'd like to see is Petty get the 2's reps, Hack get the 3's reps, and smith just hang around in case some disaster strikes . 

14 minutes ago, C Mart said:

What mess? And according to whom? 

He'll get his chance.  My god where is it said rookies HAVE to play immediately, especially QBs? Only 1 QB can play/practice at a time. 

My guess, he'll play game 4 and a lot. 

He's a QB drafted at #51 overall and he's apparently too fragile or incompetent to appear in a preseason game. A preseason game. Calling the situation a mess is actually pretty charitable.

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm assuming that Fitz will play the first half. And Geno definitely needs at least a quarter to get back his confidence and show what he can do. So I give Hack at least half of the 4th quarter. 

If Im the Jets I release Geno this week. Lame duck contract and is 100% gone next year regardless....all he's doing right now is taking reps away from Petty, who will be on the team next year. And it's not like Geno looks remotely playable either.

I don't see this situation as a mess. Not playing Hack is the smart thing to do. The coaches want to accomplish two primary things in preseason: (a) get the starter reps (Fitz), (b) figure out who the #2 is going to be (it looks like Petty). Hack does not factor into either of those two things, so he is relegated to where he is for now. You have to look at the Jets situation at QB, as it is fairly unique. Whether Hack gets to play a meaningless series in preseason game #2 is not a priority for the organization. He will get plenty of reps in preseason game #4 and as a scout team QB. 

Just now, SBBound said:

I don't see this situation as a mess. Not playing Hack is the smart thing to do. The coaches want to accomplish two primary things in preseason: (a) get the starter reps (Fitz), (b) figure out who the #2 is going to be (it looks like Petty). Hack does not factor into either of those two things, so he is relegated to where he is for now. You have to look at the Jets situation at QB, as it is fairly unique. Whether Hack gets to play a meaningless series in preseason game #2 is not a priority for the organization. He will get plenty of reps in preseason game #4 and as a scout team QB. 

The thing is you want Hack to develop and not to stagnate. You develop by playing in games. Not just sitting in a classroom for 2 years. He won't probably play in real games this year and Fitz will get most of the reps. So let's give him more work. 

13 hours ago, cant wait said:

I Thought the jets would have signed foles or worked a deal for mccown. hard to think they would have felt comfortable without a veteran option 

I think they're content with fitz. And if he gets hurt they're ok with giving the job to one of the "kids". If they aren't competent then they should be cut. Geno is a vet and petty is in year 2. One of them should be as good as most of the backups in the league.  

27 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm assuming that Fitz will play the first half. And Geno definitely needs at least a quarter to get back his confidence and show what he can do. So I give Hack at least half of the 4th quarter. 

Why does smith need to show what he can do?  He's not a rookie.  This is his 4th year.  He's shown what he can do. Petty is out playing him.  smith needs to be done here.  He won't be back next year, why waste time?

IMO the way to go is give Fitz the 1st half, The 1's have to start getting ready for the regular season.  

Give Petty the 3rd with the 2's.  IMO he's won the job.

Give Hack the 4th.  He needs some reps if he is going to improve.  I think the reason Hack isn't getting any reps right now is because they want to make sure Petty is going to be able to actually be the back up.  Hack was scheduled to get some reps last night but Petty was playing well, and they kept on putting him back in to see if he could continue it, and make sure it just wasn't a flash.  I think he should have closed the door on the non-competition, competition.  Job should be his. No more BS, and cliches.

Keep smith, in the role Hack has had just in case some training camp disaster strikes.    Day after the Eagles game...........bye  

Hack has to play some this pre season and he will. I have no doubt about that because he has to come away with something, he has to face the competition and speed of the NFL, to have at the very least something to grow on. If he's been sacked so many times in college then a few sacks in the NFL is not going to ruin him like some here think.

Everyone needs to just calm down with the Hack stuff he's not a disaster and he's not a horrific QB He's just not getting any chances right now and you can't grow without getting a chance to face NFL caliber players. He was on the right track with O'Brien at Penn State and was highly touted as a young college QB right now that's all we need to know about Hack the Jets focus will be to get him his confidence back because the talent is certainly there. In the mean time Petty seems to be emerging and that's good for everyone except maybe Geno

6 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I disagree. Playing in games is the culmination of practice and the reason he's here in the first place. I've never heard of a rookie Qb who is a high draft pick not playing in exhibition games. Of course we have two more to go and probably he'll play in game 4 at least. He did get more reps in practices last week. 

When was the last time a 1st round QB didn't play for his first 4 years? 

Rodgers. 

How did that work out for Green Bay? 

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I think the chances of us being able to put Hackenberg on the practice squad are better than we realize. Who the hell is keeping him on their active roster all year? The pick right now is a total black eye for Maccagnan, but I'd at least give him some credit for jumping on the grenade early. Prolonging this is just going to make it worse.

Black eye?  

Lol, you're not serious.  Why would anyone have a black eye because they drafted a QB in the second and are planning to let him sit and learn before throwing him to the wolves.

Its hard to be this negative without trying. 

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Hack has to play some this pre season and he will. I have no doubt about that because he has to come away with something, he has to face the competition and speed of the NFL, to have at the very least something to grow on. If he's been sacked so many times in college then a few sacks in the NFL is not going to ruin him like some here think.

Everyone needs to just calm down with the Hack stuff he's not a disaster and he's not a horrific QB He's just not getting any chances right now and you can't grow without getting a chance to face NFL caliber players. He was on the right track with O'Brien at Penn State and was highly touted as a young college QB right now that's all we need to know about Hack the Jets focus will be to get him his confidence back because the talent is certainly there. In the mean time Petty seems to be emerging and that's good for everyone except maybe Geno

Amazing how some are calling him horrific.  There aren't even articles to that point being written by the negative beat writers for this team.  

Agree that how many sacks he took at PS has nothing to do with his playing time.  Sometimes what the HC says makes the most sense because it's the truth.  He's a rookie, a raw rookie who needs some time and with 4 QBs on the roster he's not getting a lot of snaps up to now.  There's really no point in throwing an unprepared QB to the wolves just because some fans require instant gratification and think they're more important than the team following their plan

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm confused, hasn't Geno been showing us exactly what it is he does thus far this pre-season?

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I'm confused, hasn't Geno been showing us exactly what it is he does thus far this pre-season?

It's not like the guy has never played decently in a regular season game. And his first pre-season game wasn't as terrible as last night. I'd give him a mulligan for it. I know what you're going to say. They've been giving him a mulligan for 3 years now.?

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

this week ?  not me. 

this week it's about getting fitz ready, then deciding on geno or petty to back up.  I would be shocked if hack plays this week.  he has week #4, probably most of the 2nd half most likely

28 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

When was the last time a 1st round QB didn't play for his first 4 years? 

Rodgers. 

How did that work out for Green Bay? 

Not exactly the same thing. First Rodgers played in pre-season games. And second he was the backup to Favre. You've made it very clear for months now what you think of Fitz: that not only is he not a legit NFL starter but he's not in the same stratosphere as Brett was. Part 2 I agree on. 

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

this week ?  not me. 

this week it's about getting fitz ready, then deciding on geno or petty to back up.  I would be shocked if hack plays this week.  he has week #4, probably most of the 2nd half most likely

The question I have is why is Petty so far ahead of Hack on the depth chart. Unless they are considering cutting Petty and want to take a last look at him. Or is it that the Jets think he is more game ready than Hack. To me Hack should be the guy competing with Geno for number 2. You'd think a 2nd round pick would be the guy on the active roster. Maybe they are totally unimpressed with what Hack is showing them. 

15 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Not exactly the same thing. First Rodgers played in pre-season games. And second he was the backup to Favre. You've made it very clear for months now what you think of Fitz: that not only is he not a legit NFL starter but he's not in the same stratosphere as Brett was. Part 2 I agree on. 

Exactly the same thing.  You're looking for instant gratification for yourself, screw what the player needs.  Both GB and the Jets believe the 2 QBs need seasoning.  That's the point.  

WTF does Fitz have to do with any of this?  You've made it perfectly clear with your constant posting over how shltty we treated Fitz where you stand.  And by bringing him into this thread.  Because o can't think of a single reason why what I think of Fitz has anything to do with playing Hack up to now.  Not one.

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Fitz needs to start showing something too.  It's time for the starting offense to look like one. 

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly the same thing.  You're looking for instant gratification for yourself, screw what the player needs.  Both GB and the Jets believe the 2 QBs need seasoning.  That's the point.  

WTF does Fitz have to do with any of this?  You've made it perfectly clear with your constant posting over how shltty we treated Fitz where you stand.  And by bringing him into this thread.  Because o can't think of a single reason why what I think of Fitz has anything to do with playing Hack up to now.  Not one.

Because Rodgers was the developmental Qb under Favre and Hack is the developmental Qb under Fitz. And you're the one who brought up Green Bay in the first place. Obviously being the backup to Favre isn't the same as being the backup to Fitz. Favre is a legend and Fitz is on a one year contract which according to your group is one year too long. Why shouldn't Hack play in pre-season games. Esp if he's potentially going to be the starter in '17. 

38 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The question I have is why is Petty so far ahead of Hack on the depth chart. Unless they are considering cutting Petty and want to take a last look at him. Or is it that the Jets think he is more game ready than Hack. To me Hack should be the guy competing with Geno for number 2. You'd think a 2nd round pick would be the guy on the active roster. Maybe they are totally unimpressed with what Hack is showing them. 

petty is a year ahead of hack on the 2-3 year project schedule. 

it could also mean they are evaluating geno/petty with the idea the loser goes, or maybe even they want to try to stash hack on the PS

2 hours ago, Larz said:

petty is a year ahead of hack on the 2-3 year project schedule. 

it could also mean they are evaluating geno/petty with the idea the loser goes, or maybe even they want to try to stash hack on the PS

They can by not playing Hack try to hide him. It's been done before but usually for higher round guys or UFAs. The entire NFL knows and seriously scouted Hack. The question is where would Hack have been selected if the Jets didn't take him. Would he have precipitously dropped the way Connor Cook did. Was it just the Jets who liked him that much.  Also the Jets were willing to not select Hack. Because their first preference was to draft Lee. Just because Petty has been here an extra year doesn't mean he has to be ahead of the curve vs Hack. Look Petty put up 16 points last night including 2 Tds. But it wasn't an earth shaking performance. And it was with and against 3rd and 4th stringers. 

12 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

They can by not playing Hack try to hide him. It's been done before but usually for higher round guys or UFAs. The entire NFL knows and seriously scouted Hack. The question is where would Hack have been selected if the Jets didn't take him. Would he have precipitously dropped the way Connor Cook did. Was it just the Jets who liked him that much.  Also the Jets were willing to not select Hack. Because their first preference was to draft Lee. Just because Petty has been here an extra year doesn't mean he has to be ahead of the curve vs Hack. Look Petty put up 16 points last night including 2 Tds. But it wasn't an earth shaking performance. And it was with and against 3rd and 4th stringers. 

I remember some claims hack was "undraftable".  the risk with having him on the PS is you only need one GM to think he can develop using a roster spot on him. I think that is the least likley option anyway.

I think the main reasons he isn't playing is bowles wants to decide between geno/petty and hack is a project who just isn't ready

Archived