Geno the # 2 QB vs Giants

jetfan39

16 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think that Petty would make mistakes but play as well or better than Fitz

I used to think that Geno would as well, but not sure after seeing him in preseason

I think that Hoyer would have done well in this offense and saved us $10 million

I think Fitz is one of the most overrated backup level QBs ever. He is pretty terrible.

Not liking Fitz is one thing, calling him pretty terrible is another. Fitz is an average QB with limitations. He's not terrible by any means. There are so many far better examples of terrible QB's holding clipboards in this league.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

based on petty's play this preseason and how the coaches speak of his progress there's no way he gets cut.  mccags has said numerous times he's committed to developing qbs and petty is the first guy in this process.

i think geno is still a big ahead of petty for the #2 job, at least as of now, and they're giving him a shot to prove it.  i don't think they're going to be able to trade him, it's tough to see another team wanting him as the #2 qb unless there are injuries.  

i think the jets want to see how geno plays under clear pressure, not regular season pressure, but pressure to prove he can play even reasonably well when it's obvious there's a lot at stake for his professional career.  at some point he's going to have to prove to mccags and bowles that he can do it when he's not wearing a red jersey or he's not making the team. 

First off I don't believe the Jets are trying to trade Geno . But are you serious you don't think another team would want his as a #2 QB. Take a look around the league at some of the backup QB's , there's a whole lot of suck out there much worse than Geno.  Now where I may agree is that if they attempted to trade him the Jets wouldn't get very much back for him.

There will always be interest in any QB with experience- even if you hate Geno do not think he would not land a job with another team if let go- but of course no team will want to give much in value for him

59 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If Geno is the #2, and plays more than a few drives, I think that closes the book on any idea of a "competition" between Geno and Petty for the #2 Job.

Geno is the #2.  Petty will either be cut, PS'ed, or they'll (foolishly IMO) roster 4 QB's for 2016.

If Macc thinks Geno is legitimately the much better QB, and has the most upside and future in New York, fair enough.  If he's just hedging his bets, thats pretty weak and spineless IMO.  I expect more sack from Macc, frankly.

He may firmly believe that Petty has the better future upside. He may also feel though that that future doesn't need to be rushed before Petty's ready. Even though there's many here that "hate" Geno he has 2 years starting experience in the NFL - its the safe choice.

Not liking Fitz is one thing, calling him pretty terrible is another. Fitz is an average QB with limitations. He's not terrible by any means. There are so many far better examples of terrible QB's holding clipboards in this league.

I would take almost any other starting QB over Fitz and several backups. As a starting QB with his arm, accuracy and turnover propensity I think he is terrible. He is a decent backup

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

if petty continues to outplay smith over these last 2 preseason games then the job is his. this is how the team is evaluating their depth chart at every position and QB should be no different. geno is gone after this year anyway and the jets are better served by keeping players that can contribute beyond next season 

4 minutes ago, cant wait said:

if petty continues to outplay smith over these last 2 preseason games then the job is his. this is how the team is evaluating their depth chart at every position and QB should be no different. geno is gone after this year anyway and the jets are better served by keeping players that can contribute beyond next season 

While the front office certainly would be remiss if they are not looking for players who will contribute beyond this season, you have to remember the NFL is a business, a business that dictates a win now approach.  Its easy for fans to say Geno won't be here next year just get rid of him, their jobs aren't on the line. If Fitz goes down and Petty comes in and tanks - there would be many including possibly the Jets owner who would ask why the cheap experienced backup QB wasn't retained.  Keeping Geno is the prudent choice even though it will make half of the fanbase seemingly suicidal.

I find this turn of events depressing. I get that releasing/trading Geno is a HUGE risk. If Fitz goes down and Petty sucks, people will be calling for Mac's head, but too me this is a complete chicken-**** move.  The FO is trying to build a perennial contender. You cannot do that playing it safe. You also can ill afford to loose a possible gem at WR or valuable depth at OL etc by hanging on to an extra QB.

I don't think if Fitz goes down (especially in the first half of the year) Geno can win us enough games to stay relevant. I am not even sure if Fitz stays healthy we can win enough games. Geno is not our future, and even if he is the best backup QB on the team, I don't think keeping him for 1 year at the risk of loosing Petty or any other body is worth it. This team is too thin at OL (and other positions); holding onto a QB that isn't the future doesn't make sense. Not only is this a waste of a roster spot, but we would also be missing out on either the cap savings and/or draft pick/player we would get by releasing/trading Geno.

Geno needs a fresh start and the Jets need more players. Yeah there is a huge risk, but maybe Mac should grow a pair and make a tough call.

I know people got on Geno after the intentional grounding and INT in the Redskins game. But he also had some really nice throws, bounced back and led a solid drive down the field. Had some drops along the way (amaro). And Petty (although got a TD) really didn't look THAT much better than Geno. 

I really believe Geno is still the 2nd best QB on the team. Petty might be getting closer, but he's not quite there yet. So not surprised at all with Bowles naming Geno #2 vs Giants.

11 hours ago, JetNation said:

On whether Bryce Petty will play…

It’s hard to get a gauge on the game. He played a lot last week and the week before. We’ve got to get our guys ready to play.

This sounds like he's pretty much decided that Geno is his backup. Which is unfortunate. 

I find this turn of events depressing. I get that releasing/trading Geno is a HUGE risk. If Fitz goes down and Petty sucks, people will be calling for Mac's head, but too me this is a complete chicken-**** move.  The FO is trying to build a perennial contender. You cannot do that playing it safe. You also can ill afford to loose a possible gem at WR or valuable depth at OL etc by hanging on to an extra QB.

I don't think if Fitz goes down (especially in the first half of the year) Geno can win us enough games to stay relevant. I am not even sure if Fitz stays healthy we can win enough games. Geno is not our future, and even if he is the best backup QB on the team, I don't think keeping him for 1 year at the risk of loosing Petty or any other body is worth it. This team is too thin at OL (and other positions); holding onto a QB that isn't the future doesn't make sense. Not only is this a waste of a roster spot, but we would also be missing out on either the cap savings and/or draft pick/player we would get by releasing/trading Geno.

Geno needs a fresh start and the Jets need more players. Yeah there is a huge risk, but maybe Mac should grow a pair and make a tough call.

If the Jets were trying to build a perennial contender they would be starting Geno or Bryce

Just now, PepPep said:

I know people got on Geno after the intentional grounding and INT in the Redskins game. But he also had some really nice throws, bounced back and led a solid drive down the field. Had some drops along the way (amaro). And Petty (although got a TD) really didn't look THAT much better than Geno. 

I really believe Geno is still the 2nd best QB on the team. Petty might be getting closer, but he's not quite there yet. So not surprised at all with Bowles naming Geno #2 vs Giants.

the intentional grounding was worse than the INT.  it just shows his situational awareness is the same as it was when he arrived.

geno and sanchez are pretty similar.  they both have too many turnovers.  they both lack situational awareness.  the main difference is their personalities.  sanchez was liked by his jet teammates by most accounts.  he was 'one of the guys'.  geno is not.  heck, he doesn't even stretch with the other qbs.  but sanchez will get more chances in the nfl b/c he seems to be a nice guy and a likeable guy.  i think mccags and bowles are trying to see if geno is any better than petty, since there is no evidence yet that he is.  i think they know petty is on the right track, it's just whether geno can elevate his game to show he is clearly better than petty right now.  the fact it's such a hot topic suggests geno is not clearly better than petty, or else they may as well give petty the reps after fitz b/c there's no chance of a change in the qb pecking order.

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

I don't view it this way. No, Geno may not be the future and will probably not be a Jet next year. But he takes up ONE extra roster spot. He is still the 2nd best QB on the team and the only backup with any NFL experience. If Fitz gets hurt, yes, he can come in and win a game here and there, he's done it before and he finally has multiple weapons around him. He costs NOTHING. He represents (potentially) our only viable depth at the most important position. 

I've put together multiple versions of the 53 man roster WITH 4 QBs and the last guy to get cut, the guy who WOULD have made the team had the Jets only carried 3 QBs is pretty inconsequential. It typically ends up being the 5th safety (R.Martin?) or one of the LB's buried on the depth chart. Jets still carry 6 WRs (assuming Smith goes on IR or stays on PUP) and their typical O-line depth, D-linemen, CBs, etc.  

The question, to me, is: is Geno worth more than the LAST guy to make the team, the guy buried deepest on the depth chart at his position, the guy who barely makes it if they carry 3 QBs. I think he is. 

8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

If the Jets were trying to build a perennial contender they would be starting Geno or Bryce

Sorry, I disagree. Even when building through the draft, you have to fill slots with Vets. You play the best players (or perceived best players) in critical spots (or where the youngsters aren't ready) so that the team wins and the youngsters don't have to play/learn/win alone. But, what you don't do, IMO, is but one of those vets in the #2 position, waste a spot, and take away valuable reps from the youngster to play it safe.

11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the intentional grounding was worse than the INT.  it just shows his situational awareness is the same as it was when he arrived.

geno and sanchez are pretty similar.  they both have too many turnovers.  they both lack situational awareness.  the main difference is their personalities.  sanchez was liked by his jet teammates by most accounts.  he was 'one of the guys'.  geno is not.  heck, he doesn't even stretch with the other qbs.  but sanchez will get more chances in the nfl b/c he seems to be a nice guy and a likeable guy.  i think mccags and bowles are trying to see if geno is any better than petty, since there is no evidence yet that he is.  i think they know petty is on the right track, it's just whether geno can elevate his game to show he is clearly better than petty right now.  the fact it's such a hot topic suggests geno is not clearly better than petty, or else they may as well give petty the reps after fitz b/c there's no chance of a change in the qb pecking order.

I dunno. To me, the INT was worse. He telegraphed the pass and tried to thread it through double coverage (or at least multiple defenders in the vicinity). 2 no-no's in one. 

The int. grounding was different. He ran out of the pocket, had a receiver SOMEWHAT in the area but could not throw the ball past the line of scrimmage. It just seemed like he tried to throw it away and could not quite do it legally. Not a turnover, and would have probably been as bad as taking a sack.  

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

I don't view it this way. No, Geno may not be the future and will probably not be a Jet next year. But he takes up ONE extra roster spot. He is still the 2nd best QB on the team and the only backup with any NFL experience. If Fitz gets hurt, yes, he can come in and win a game here and there, he's done it before and he finally has multiple weapons around him. He costs NOTHING. He represents (potentially) our only viable depth at the most important position. 

I've put together multiple versions of the 53 man roster WITH 4 QBs and the last guy to get cut, the guy who WOULD have made the team had the Jets only carried 3 QBs is pretty inconsequential. It typically ends up being the 5th safety (R.Martin?) or one of the LB's buried on the depth chart. Jets still carry 6 WRs (assuming Smith goes on IR or stays on PUP) and their typical O-line depth, D-linemen, CBs, etc.  

The question, to me, is: is Geno worth more than the LAST guy to make the team, the guy buried deepest on the depth chart at his position, the guy who barely makes it if they carry 3 QBs. I think he is. 

You make a valid point; it should be mostly about who you drop to keep Geno. If Devin Smith is pulled off of the PUP we will find out (as the last one to go) or if they pick someone else up after at 53; So, we shall see who it is, and can debate on whom you would rather have.

The other point that I failed to make in my first post is that the other ramification of not move on from Geno, is that it impedes the development of Petty as the #3 QB gets almost no reps once training camp is over. So, in my mind, the question is this: Is Geno more valuable than the guy you drop from the bottom of the roster, the extra million it will cost to keep him, the possible trade value, and the loss of Petty getting the #2 reps.

16 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

You make a valid point; it should be mostly about who you drop to keep Geno. If Devin Smith is pulled off of the PUP we will find out (as the last one to go) or if they pick someone else up after at 53; So, we shall see who it is, and can debate on whom you would rather have.

The other point that I failed to make in my first post is that the other ramification of not move on from Geno, is that it impedes the development of Petty as the #3 QB gets almost no reps once training camp is over. So, in my mind, the question is this: Is Geno more valuable than the guy you drop from the bottom of the roster, the extra million it will cost to keep him, the possible trade value, and the loss of Petty getting the #2 reps.

Well, yeah, I agree with that. And the funny thing is, if Hack ends up being a complete bust, we will look back and say- well, should have just cut him or put him on PS. Right now he has shown the least of all the QBs, is taking up a valuable roster spot and yet is pretty much untouchable.  lol :lol:

9 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

This and @PepPep's post that it's in response to both make great points. 

I think if they hold onto Geno, it's the final evidence that they view this as a win now team, a position I don't particularly share. Bowles is from the Bill Parcells line of thinking, and Parcells always leaned heavily on his veterans, his favorites. Amongst his quotes was, paraphrased, that you lose one game for every rookie you have starting. Geno is an experienced veteran at this point. He was pencilled in as his starter before he got his jaw broken. Gailey was very high on him. It should really come as no surprise that if they lose Fitz for any amount of time, the coaching staff believes Geno gives them the best chance to win in the interim. 

But like I said, I'm not in the win now camp, and I think the extra roster spot for a developmental/special teamer and the extra reps for Petty is more important for the team long term than believing Geno gives the team a better chance of getting to the post season than Petty does. 

I no longer think Petty would clear waivers if he's cut. There's no sneaking him onto the practice squad. If they still believe in his potential when they traded up a spot in the fourth round to secure him -and he looks much improved over last preseason- they either have to cut/trade Geno, or carry four QBs. I'd lose Geno, give Petty more responsibility and see how he responds. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I think if they hold onto Geno, it's the final evidence that they view this as a win now team, a position I don't particularly share. Bowles is from the Bill Parcells line of thinking, and Parcells always leaned heavily on his veterans, his favorites. Amongst his quotes was, paraphrased, that you lose one game for every rookie you have starting. Geno is an experienced veteran at this point. He was pencilled in as his starter before he got his jaw broken. Gailey was very high on him. It should really come as no surprise that if they lose Fitz for any amount of time, the coaching staff believes Geno gives them the best chance to win in the interim. 

But like I said, I'm not in the win now camp, and I think the extra roster spot for a developmental/special teamer and the extra reps for Petty is more important for the team long term than believing Geno gives the team a better chance of getting to the post season than Petty does. 

I no longer think Petty would clear waivers if he's cut. There's no sneaking him onto the practice squad. If they still believe in his potential when they traded up a spot in the fourth round to secure him -and he looks much improved over last preseason- they either have to cut/trade Geno, or carry four QBs. I'd lose Geno, give Petty more responsibility and see how he responds. 

it doesn't matter if he is an 'experienced veteran'.  the problem is that petty appears even with him, which is a credit to both petty and the new coaching staff.

sanchez is also an experienced veteran who can't beat out a 7th round pick with no experience.  at some point your play on the field has to be the bulk of your resume.

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

it doesn't matter if he is an 'experienced veteran'.  the problem is that petty appears even with him, which is a credit to both petty and the new coaching staff.

sanchez is also an experienced veteran who can't beat out a 7th round pick with no experience.  at some point your play on the field has to be the bulk of your resume.

I think it should be pretty clear in the post that you quoted that I agree with you. Just trying to discuss what I believe the coaching staff's mindset might be. 

Just now, slats said:

I think it should be pretty clear in the post that you quoted that I agree with you. Just trying to discuss what I believe the coaching staff's mindset might be. 

i think they want to see if geno can perform when he knows there is pressure to perform.  geno knows he's in a dogfight for the backup job.  if geno goes in there in the 3rd q and makes some mistakes, i just don't know how you name in the backup.  he's got to earn it.

Part of the blame for this has to go to the NFL. The NFL doesn't have a minor league. In most cases that is okay, but for the QB it would be critical. There used to be a time that the 3rd QB (although still on the roster) could be activated during the game in the 4th QTR with no penalty (if he came in earlier, neither 1 or 2 could come back in), but they took that away.

There are not enough quality QBs to go around for every team as it is. With reduced padded practices, 53 man roster, salary cap, etc. it is virtually impossible for a team to bring along a 1 or 2 year project QB. It seems to me, that it would be in the NFL's best interest to create a special kind of practice squad/roster hybrid for QBs so that a team can bring along a QB without being counted as part of the 53 and yet cannot be 'plucked'. At one point the NFL did something like that for foreign players; a team could designate one of their practice squad players with a special foreign designation, and he couldn't be plucked by another time. Seems to me, the NFL should allow something similar for QBs if the NFL wanted teams to grow them.

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i think they want to see if geno can perform when he knows there is pressure to perform.  geno knows he's in a dogfight for the backup job.  if geno goes in there in the 3rd q and makes some mistakes, i just don't know how you name in the backup.  he's got to earn it.

I hope you're right. I think at best, though, that it's his job to lose at this point - whether we like that or not. Thats certainly not to say that he's not incapable or losing it. Lol. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

This sounds like he's pretty much decided that Geno is his backup. Which is unfortunate. 

Not a Geno fan but I dont care if they keep 4.  I will care if they dump Petty to keep Geno - that would be an IdZiot move.  I don't want to see either of them in regular season anyway.

Also - Geno needs to get thru the Giants to be #2 and looking at their past 2 games doesn't look like they gave up too many points in 2nd half of last 2 games

Plus I think they believe they can get something for Geno and I would bet if they were to cut Geno it would be after the cut down to 53.

32 minutes ago, slats said:

It seems to me that Denver is a 'win now' team as returning champions and with the great defense. Yet, they seem to be willing to give the starting job to 7th round pick (that hasn't looked that great IMO) over a veteran until their #1 pick is ready. If you ask me, that takes more guts than picking a second year QB as the #2.

8 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

It seems to me that Denver is a 'win now' team as returning champions and with the great defense. Yet, they seem to be willing to give the starting job to 7th round pick (that hasn't looked that great IMO) over a veteran until their #1 pick is ready. If you ask me, that takes more guts than picking a second year QB as the #2.

That's Denver.

Bowles handed the starting job to a mediocre -at best- journeyman, and has had his other veteran QB solidly in the #2 position for all of the preseason. I'm not agreeing with what Bowles seems to be doing, I'm simply observing it. It looks to me like carrying four QBs is the way they're heavily leaning. That could potentially change with a Geno implosion against the jints coupled with strong performances by Petty, but that's not where I see the battle for the #2 job right this second. 

21 minutes ago, slats said:

That's Denver.

Bowles handed the starting job to a mediocre -at best- journeyman, and has had his other veteran QB solidly in the #2 position for all of the preseason. I'm not agreeing with what Bowles seems to be doing, I'm simply observing it. It looks to me like carrying four QBs is the way they're heavily leaning. That could potentially change with a Geno implosion against the jints coupled with strong performances by Petty, but that's not where I see the battle for the #2 job right this second. 

Maybe it is their pedigree, maybe because Elway is Elway or they just won a super-bowl, who knows, but Denver is a win now team and even if Bowles/Mac think the Jets are a win-now team (but also want to build for the future), having Geno #2 may be safe, but I still think it is a little chicken-****. I am not disagreeing with your assessment, I am just disagreeing with the Jets FO approach. You can't coach/manage to not lose your job (just like you can't play to not loose a game), and I think the rewards are well worth the risk.

They gave the job to Fitz because as bad as he is, they still feel he is their best chance for success. That may be true, but I doubt they will go to playoffs this year if Fitz goes down (still a long shot with him healthy), but they are setting themselves up for the same problem next year. Petty will not have grown as much as he could if he was the #2.

Another view point is this. If they take the chance this year, they are making a choice and betting on the future; if not, Petty's growth will likely be reduced and next year with Geno gone they will be at the same point they were this year; grab a FA that is the best of a bad situation (maybe even Fitz again or even Geno) instead of having a guy more ready to take over or compete. IOW they might not have much of a choice once again. Wouldn't it be nice going into next year knowing (or improving the chances on knowing) that Petty can be the real deal and not be forced to pay for another 1 year solution?

9 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I don't think Geno's going to need anyone's help getting cut. He's seeing to it on his own.

i wouldn't be surprised if petty only got in for a series.  they're not going to keep geno at the expense of cutting someone who can contribute on specials and either at wr or lb.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

i wouldn't be surprised if petty only got in for a series.  they're not going to keep geno at the expense of cutting someone who can contribute on specials and either at wr or lb.

I think all the available evidence suggests that that's exactly what they're going to do.

12 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Maybe it is their pedigree, maybe because Elway is Elway or they just won a super-bowl, who knows, but Denver is a win now team and even if Bowles/Mac think the Jets are a win-now team (but also want to build for the future), having Geno #2 may be safe, but I still think it is a little chicken-****. I am not disagreeing with your assessment, I am just disagreeing with the Jets FO approach. You can't coach/manage to not lose your job (just like you can't play to not loose a game), and I think the rewards are well worth the risk.

They gave the job to Fitz because as bad as he is, they still feel he is their best chance for success. That may be true, but I doubt they will go to playoffs this year if Fitz goes down (still a long shot with him healthy), but they are setting themselves up for the same problem next year. Petty will not have grown as much as he could if he was the #2.

Another view point is this. If they take the chance this year, they are making a choice and betting on the future; if not, Petty's growth will likely be reduced and next year with Geno gone they will be at the same point they were this year; grab a FA that is the best of a bad situation (maybe even Fitz again or even Geno) instead of having a guy more ready to take over or compete. IOW they might not have much of a choice once again. Wouldn't it be nice going into next year knowing (or improving the chances on knowing) that Petty can be the real deal and not be forced to pay for another 1 year solution?

I was of the opinion months ago that the CS wanted to get Petty/Geno/Hack under a microscope in OTAs without Fitz around. That is why the Fitz deal went to the zero hour to get done in my opinion. Once they saw where Geno and Petty were at a little better, they either 1) Felt neither could get it done or 2) Petty looked like he could supplant Geno, thus bringing Fitz back in to take the reigns.

If Petty or Geno looked like they were going to be able to capably lead this offense, I dont know if Fitz would be here now to be honest.

To me, it seems wastefull to carry 4 QBs into the season. But hey Im no NFL GM.

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Well he surely has enough people praying for his downfall so I can understand your position. 

If he doesn't pan out cool, I'm just not a hater. 

The last two games, despite better weaponz and a better offensive coordinator, we got the same old Geno Smith. 

Maybe Rex ruined him, or maybe he was destined to suck no matter what.  Either way, I've had enough of him. With Petty showing promise, and Hack missing out on valuable reps because there aren't enough to go around, keeping Geno serves no positive purpose for this team.

If that makes me a hater, so be it.

Archived