Suggested BOOing Techniques For Tonight's Geno Smith Fiasco

SAR I

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Bugg said:

Smith will either be traded or the last cut the last day.

Tend to agree with this.

Bowles won't want to answer all the preseason questions and will want to move on to the regular season.

Literally nothing to lose now in cutting Geno.  Petty is capable and Hackenberg has potential.

The Jets fans booing Geno Smith are morons 

Geno Smith has reached the point of no return with the lunatic fringe too dumb to comprehend the consequences of its actions. Some folks just don’t get it.

We’re not here to throw a pity party for the Jets quarterback, but it’s baffling how some of Woody Johnson’s paying customers infused MetLife Stadium with a wave of negative energy on Saturday night. Way to support the team.

Smith was booed before he took a single snap in the Jets’ preseason loss to the Giants, prompting clear-thinking people to wonder: What the hell is going on here?

It was embarrassing for a segment of the fan base that sometimes behaves like buffoons. What exactly is the motivation behind expressing this discontent? Smith hadn’t made a single mistake in the game. He simply came in with 2:28 left in the first half, BECAUSE HE’S THE NO. 2 QUARTERBACK ON THE TEAM.

That’s part of his job description: relieve the starter in the third preseason game.

The majority of Jets fans are reasonable people most of the time. This pathetic display of chiding one of their own without provocation was not one of those times.

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

I was booing Geno so loud when he throw that terrible Pick 6.

Oh wait, that wasn't Geno.

Amazing how much you've been defending a guy who, even if kept, isn't even going to be under contract next season.  He's basically an outsider or a stranger at this point.  And yet you choose to rip on the young QB's this regime actually drafted in defense of Geno.  You're a pretty self-aware guy, Phil....don't you think this is at least a little strange?

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

The Jets fans booing Geno Smith are morons 

Geno Smith has reached the point of no return with the lunatic fringe too dumb to comprehend the consequences of its actions. Some folks just don’t get it.

We’re not here to throw a pity party for the Jets quarterback, but it’s baffling how some of Woody Johnson’s paying customers infused MetLife Stadium with a wave of negative energy on Saturday night. Way to support the team.

Smith was booed before he took a single snap in the Jets’ preseason loss to the Giants, prompting clear-thinking people to wonder: What the hell is going on here?

It was embarrassing for a segment of the fan base that sometimes behaves like buffoons. What exactly is the motivation behind expressing this discontent? Smith hadn’t made a single mistake in the game. He simply came in with 2:28 left in the first half, BECAUSE HE’S THE NO. 2 QUARTERBACK ON THE TEAM.

That’s part of his job description: relieve the starter in the third preseason game.

The majority of Jets fans are reasonable people most of the time. This pathetic display of chiding one of their own without provocation was not one of those times.

BOOOOOOOOOOOO

SAR I

11 minutes ago, Larz said:

How did the booing go?

We were robbed of our fun, he wasn't on the field long enough to kill him, only the people deep in the far endzone got their chance. They did a good job though. I could hear the booing even though I didn't realize he had been put in, thought for sure we would want to get Fitzpatrick and the starters one more situation to practice.  

Personally, I utilized the big/bold BOOOOOO as did others in my section.   Most of us were rooting for the Giants to nail him and get a safety. 

SAR I

New York Jets’ Geno Smith Wears ‘Zero Friends’ Hat (Photo)

PREV STORYNEXT PAGE
NAVIGATE:

While fighting for his job as a New York Jets quarterback, Geno Smithwore a hat that said “Zero Friends.” Not exactly a good look.

Isn’t it ironic that the quarterback who is so difficult to like wears a hat that says, “Zero Friends” on it? I looked it up and found that “Zero Friends” is actually a brand, but how great does it look to wear that during a press conference?

It starts with the fans. They boo him before he even takes a snap on the field, and in the preseason no less.

I also don’t think it was a coincidence that no one came to his rescue last year whenIK Enemkpali broke his jaw. He’s not extremely well-liked in the locker room, so “Zero Friends” is probably a good representation of his relationship with the team.

1a1aAPPjets.png

He’ll be the first to wonder why he can never seem to win over the team or the fanbase. Stuff like this probably has something to do with it. You just can’t make this stuff up.

I still think the Jets carry four QBs this year, but after this year Geno will be gone. And I don’t think anyone will miss him all too much.

http://elitesportsny.com/2016/08/28/new-york-jets-geno-smith-wears-zero-friends-hat-photo/

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

We were robbed of our fun, he wasn't on the field long enough to kill him, only the people deep in the far endzone got their chance. They did a good job though. I could hear the booing even though I didn't realize he had been put in, thought for sure we would want to get Fitzpatrick and the starters one more situation to practice.  

Personally, I utilized the big/bold BOOOOOO as did others in my section.   Most of us were rooting for the Giants to nail him and get a safety. 

SAR I

But he played ok. What are you compensating for anyway?

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Amazing how much you've been defending a guy who, even if kept, isn't even going to be under contract next season.  He's basically an outsider or a stranger at this point.  And yet you choose to rip on the young QB's this regime actually drafted in defense of Geno.  You're a pretty self-aware guy, Phil....don't you think this is at least a little strange?

I think starting a thread to boo any player is strange. I am at every home game and I don't boo any player.  Paying money to boo doesn't seem right to me.

I am don't care who drafted anyone. Petty looked bad last night. 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

But he played ok. What are you compensating for anyway?

He played terribly.

Compensating?  What, someone who thinks Geno Smith is an awful quarterback is somehow 'compensating' for something?  Let me guess, this is like the Fireman Ed apologists who think that anyone who doesn't like the guy must be "jealous".

News Flash:  Sometimes your opinions are wrong and others are right.

SAR I

19 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

If Geno Smith gets his shot here if Ryan Fitzpatrick goes down and he does well he will win the fan base over just like the journeyman career loser Ryan Fitzpatrick did. 

Many will eat crow. 

For a relatively smart fan, I don't get this at all.

This isn't like Mark Sanchez, Ken O'Brien, or even Ray Lucas who at least showed some flashes at one point.  Geno Smith hasn't shown anything but lousy quarterback play for almost half a decade, no idea why you don't see it like everyone else does.  The guy is useless.

SAR I

13 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I think starting a thread to boo any player is strange. I am at every home game and I don't boo any player.  Paying money to boo doesn't seem right to me.

I am don't care who drafted anyone. Petty looked bad last night. 

There comes a time when a player has overstayed his welcome, hasn't accomplished anything, and is the poster-boy for the last regime that got run out on a rail.

And when it's a quarterback, a position that's about an investment in time, when you enter Year 4 and there is nothing to show for it, if the player is regressing, that's that, we don't want to see it anymore.  If you're a lineman or a third string tight end you might be able to hide from your mediocrity; not QB.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

For a relatively smart fan, I don't get this at all.

This isn't like Mark Sanchez, Ken O'Brien, or even Ray Lucas who at least showed some flashes at one point.  Geno Smith hasn't shown anything but lousy quarterback play for almost half a decade, no idea why you don't see it like everyone else does.  The guy is useless.

SAR I

Ryan Fitzpatrick can also be considered useless as well SAR I 6 teams in 11  lousy years 1 year of decent play still losing the big game in the NFL and he's never made the playoffs. 

Stranger things have happened in the NFL and certainly with the Jets Geno managed an 8-8 season surrounded by scrubs so we shall see. 

No way Macc and Bowles go into this season with Fitz and 2 rookie QBs with 0 NFL experience. 

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

There comes a time when a player has overstayed his welcome, hasn't accomplished anything, and is the poster-boy for the last regime that got run out on a rail.

And when it's a quarterback, a position that's about an investment in time, when you enter Year 4 and there is nothing to show for it, if the player is regressing, that's that, we don't want to see it anymore.  If you're a lineman or a third string tight end you might be able to hide from your mediocrity; not QB.

SAR I

When backup QB is the Jets biggest problem I will be pretty happy.

Since Geno was selected by the last regime it should be an easy decision for the Jets new regime to waive him. If he makes this roster, they must not agree with your thoughts.

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

you're a bigot, and I would have more respect for you if you just admitted it and move on . It's your right to be whatever you want to be, just as it's my right to call you a coward for not admitting it.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I read this again, and I am confused. I make one post about Petty for having a pick 6 that lost a game and now I am ripping on him? JetNation has a pretty loud voice, if I had a personal thing against Petty we could certainly make a splash. I have not written one negative article about him on our blog and I never sent a negative comment to any of over 40,000 plus social media followers. I have posted in the forums based on what I have seen. And last night I saw a QB with a 28.8 QBR that threw a pick 6 and lost the game.

Sorry, I just don't think he is ready to the be backup. My hope was that Petty was going to beat out Geno and earn the 2nd job. Not sure what the self aware comment even means.

I am rooting for the Jets. If that means Petty is the backup that is great. If that means Geno is the backup, great. I think they are going to pick Geno. That doesn't mean I hate Petty. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

He played terribly.

Compensating?  What, someone who thinks Geno Smith is an awful quarterback is somehow 'compensating' for something?  Let me guess, this is like the Fireman Ed apologists who think that anyone who doesn't like the guy must be "jealous".

News Flash:  Sometimes your opinions are wrong and others are right.

SAR I

Nothing easier than trolling trolls, lol

Works everytime

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick can also be considered useless as well SAR I 6 teams in 11  lousy years 1 year of decent play still losing the big game in the NFL and he's never made the playoffs. 

Stranger things have happened in the NFL and certainly with the Jets Geno managed an 8-8 season surrounded by scrubs so we shall see. 

No way Macc and Bowles go into this season with Fitz and 2 rookie QBs with 0 NFL experience. 

I'm not a Ryan Fitzpatrick fan but the guy put up stellar numbers and got us to a 10 win season when most were expecting 4. Of any Jets quarterback, he certainly deserves the money and the opportunity to stick around. 

As for Geno Smith, I cannot recall a single signature game he had let alone some sort of run to glory, and each chance he has had to show he's the guy he's fallen on his face.  We know Geno can't win, we know Geno can't improve, we know Geno is no leader, so what is he doing here except wasting our time?

SAR I

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

you're a bigot, and I would have more respect for you if you just admitted it and move on . It's your right to be whatever you want to be, just as it's my right to call you a coward for not admitting it.

Ah, now the race card gets played. Ha ha ha.  Perfect.

Can't just be that Geno sucks, right?  Can't be that simple or that obvious can it?  Nah, has to be some conspiracy. The whole world is unfairly persecuting Geno Smith because of his skin color, the fact that he can't hit the side of a barn from 10 yards out doesn't explain it. 

SAR I

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I'm not a Ryan Fitzpatrick fan but the guy put up stellar numbers and got us to a 10 win season when most were expecting 4. Of any Jets quarterback, he certainly deserves the money and the opportunity to stick around. 

As for Geno Smith, I cannot recall a single signature game he had let alone some sort of run to glory, and each chance he has had to show he's the guy he's fallen on his face.  We know Geno can't win, we know Geno can't improve, we know Geno is no leader, so what is he doing here except wasting our time?

SAR I

Almost doesn't county SAR I only in horse shoes and hand grenades he had a great season with a very easy schedule hopefully he can repeat this season 

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

When backup QB is the Jets biggest problem I will be pretty happy.

Since Geno was selected by the last regime it should be an easy decision for the Jets new regime to waive him. If he makes this roster, they must not agree with your thoughts.

It's mangement's job to try to win every game in the short-term, it's the fan's job to have realistic expectations and think of the big picture. They're Jets for a few years if they're lucky, we're in it for life. 

So if Maccagnan and Bowles make Geno the #2 on the basis of who is best qualified to step in this season that's fine, I expect that. They need to have a winning season to keep their jobs. I, as a fan, know we aren't making the playoffs this year and believe firmly that any player with no chance of being here next year that's taking a roster spot or playing time away from players who might contribute in the future is a bad mistake. Even if Bryce Petty only has a 3% chance of being an elite NFL quarterback you make him the #2 and get him a ton of reps this year so he's ready to take the #1 role next year when it counts. You don't cut him or put him on the scout team just because Geno Smith might be capable of going 1-3 if Fitzpatrick goes down for a month. 

The smart Jets fan is the one who is thinking long-term right now. They're the ones who boo Geno Smith, they're the ones who knows what's what.  If there is one mistake the New York Jets make over and over again it's that they cannot commit to a true rebuild and do it the right way. Every time we try to change our coach and rebuild we wind up exceeding expectations, putting up 9 or 10 wins, and getting everybody Into win-now mode.  Then we forget about the draft, we don't develop young kids, we just keep piling on the old veterans in an attempt to win a fluke championship. It's got to stop.  If this regime truly cares about our future, Geno Smith gets cut and Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg get promoted. 

SAR I

52 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Ah, now the race card gets played. Ha ha ha.  Perfect.

Can't just be that Geno sucks, right?  Can't be that simple or that obvious can it?  Nah, has to be some conspiracy. The whole world is unfairly persecuting Geno Smith because of his skin color, the fact that he can't hit the side of a barn from 10 yards out doesn't explain it. 

SAR I

Exactly of what race are you ? To my knowledge, there's only 1 race and that is the Human race .  Maybe what you meant to say is the ethnic card was played  . Folks like you always need a crowd, and that's why you came here and stirred up an already volatile mob  to go out and alienate a member of the team they claim to love .   Cowards always need a mob standing behind them.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

It's mangement's job to try to win every game in the short-term, it's the fan's job to have realistic expectations and think of the big picture. They're Jets for a few years if they're lucky, we're in it for life. 

So if Maccagnan and Bowles make Geno the #2 on the basis of who is best qualified to step in this season that's fine, I expect that. They need to have a winning season to keep their jobs. I, as a fan, know we aren't making the playoffs this year and believe firmly that any player with no chance of being here next year that's taking a roster spot or playing time away from players who might contribute in the future is a bad mistake. Even if Bryce Petty only has a 3% chance of being an elite NFL quarterback you make him the #2 and get him a ton of reps this year so he's ready to take the #1 role next year when it counts. You don't cut him or put him on the scout team just because Geno Smith might be capable of going 1-3 if Fitzpatrick goes down for a month. 

The smart Jets fan is the one who is thinking long-term right now. They're the ones who boo Geno Smith, they're the ones who knows what's what.  If there is one mistake the New York Jets make over and over again it's that they cannot commit to a true rebuild and do it the right way. Every time we try to change our coach and rebuild we wind up exceeding expectations, putting up 9 or 10 wins, and getting everybody Into win-now mode.  Then we forget about the draft, we don't develop young kids, we just keep piling on the old veterans in an attempt to win a fluke championship. It's got to stop.  If this regime truly cares about our future, Geno Smith gets cut and Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg get promoted. 

SAR I

Well no offense Sar, and I like you as a poster. But you aren't a big X and O guy. Not saying I am either, just saying that there is a chance that the Jets might see more upside in Geno than Petty.

Sometimes you need to boo, I get it. Joe really did need to go back in the day, lol. This is one that I am going to let play out personally. I mean we are talking about the backup QB spot here.

SAR this entire thread is stupid and you are better than this.  Why continue to kick a guy when he is down?  Where is the upside in that?  If the team keeps him and God forbid he gets some game action, are you going to root for him to fail so you can have your fancy boo routine?  Why not just root FOR Petty and Hack to continue their development?  The hand writing has been on the wall for Geno for some time and one way or the other, that chapter will be coming to close.  

Smith will either be traded or the last cut the last day.

It would surprise me unless he is really being a pain in the ass behind the scenes. Win-now team is one fitz slide away from disaster I don't think petty is ready yet. But I respect your opinion so it's definitely a possibility. 4th preseason game will tell us a lot I bet about their plans if they shelve or showcase smith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

SAR this entire thread is stupid and you are better than this.  Why continue to kick a guy when he is down?  Where is the upside in that?  If the team keeps him and God forbid he gets some game action, are you going to root for him to fail so you can have your fancy boo routine?  Why not just root FOR Petty and Hack to continue their development?  The hand writing has been on the wall for Geno for some time and one way or the other, that chapter will be coming to close.  

Geno is standing in the way of progress at the quarterback position.  That's why he needs to go.  When one boo's Geno, one is booing Jets management for keeping him, not the player.  Yes, as you state the chapter needs to close.  I want it closed now, not a year from now. 

If things go according to the script, one year from today we will be in the same boat.  Do we draft a quarterback?  Do we resign Fitzpatrick?  Is Petty NFL caliber?  Does Hackenberg have what it takes?  If Geno is gone tomorrow, we are much closer to getting an answer at the quarterback position rather than maintaining status quo as we can focus on the young kids who might amount to something.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Well no offense Sar, and I like you as a poster. But you aren't a big X and O guy. Not saying I am either, just saying that there is a chance that the Jets might see more upside in Geno than Petty.

Sometimes you need to boo, I get it. Joe really did need to go back in the day, lol. This is one that I am going to let play out personally. I mean we are talking about the backup QB spot here.

I take offense because I don't think one needs to be a big X and O guy to see that Geno Smith is not a good quarterback and that if there were a good quarterback in there we'd have seen it by now.  You do realize that about 90% of the NFL world agrees with my position, yes?  I may not be an X and O guy but there are thousands out there who are who think the guy is awful too.  Atop this he's not a leader, he's boycotted the media, he does things fans don't like.  I don't care about that stuff actually.

The bigger picture here isn't that Geno is bad, it's that the Jets are letting the quarterback situation fester unanswered for another year.  Every time we commit to a rebuild and bring in a new head coach we accidentally have a good season.  And then everyone gets excited.  And then the Jets knee jerk add old free agents.  And then we fade for years.  And then we repeat this Woody Johnson false "win now" cycle again.  It's great that we got 10 wins last year, truly a fun season.  But here we go again, acting like some win-now team and not concentrating enough on addressing the quarterback position.  Overpay Fitzpatrick.  Draft not one but two project QB's and sign up for another year of a journeyman QB a-la Testeverde or Favre and retain a guy who was given the starting job and bombed. Fitzpatrick is a JAG and Geno is in the way of validating Petty and Hackenberg.  Woody Johnson quarterback limbo yet again.  Thus the boo's.

SAR I

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

I read this again, and I am confused. I make one post about Petty for having a pick 6 that lost a game and now I am ripping on him? JetNation has a pretty loud voice, if I had a personal thing against Petty we could certainly make a splash. I have not written one negative article about him on our blog and I never sent a negative comment to any of over 40,000 plus social media followers. I have posted in the forums based on what I have seen. And last night I saw a QB with a 28.8 QBR that threw a pick 6 and lost the game.

Sorry, I just don't think he is ready to the be backup. My hope was that Petty was going to beat out Geno and earn the 2nd job. Not sure what the self aware comment even means.

I am rooting for the Jets. If that means Petty is the backup that is great. If that means Geno is the backup, great. I think they are going to pick Geno. That doesn't mean I hate Petty. 

My point was that you seem to have endless patience for Geno, yet show zero patience for Petty, a project QB we invested a 4th rounder in just 16 months ago, on the basis of one poor preseason performance. It wasn't just one post either. You said in the Hackenberg thread, I believe, that Petty ought to be the one to get cut.

The "self awareness" part is that you fail to recognize what you are doing by suggesting Petty should be let go. I get that this thread title was unnecessary. And I get that you'd feel the need to defend a Jet from a thread like this. But I don't get why you seem to be holding so firm that Geno, who won't be he here in 2017, is the one who should stay. Going into next year with just Hackenberg under contract makes absolutely zero sense.

Its a pretty important decision so I'm merely surprised how quick you are to have made that call on Petty already. QBs are your best assets and the kid very clearly has talent. Just because he isn't ready to be the # 2 right now isn't a good enough reason to cut him. 

Archived