Suggested BOOing Techniques For Tonight's Geno Smith Fiasco

SAR I

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

My point was that you seem to have endless patience for Geno, yet show zero patience for Petty, a project QB we invested a 4th rounder in just 16 months ago, on the basis of one poor preseason performance. It wasn't just one post either. You said in the Hackenberg thread, I believe, that Petty ought to be the one to get cut.

The "self awareness" part is that you fail to recognize what you are doing by suggesting Petty should be let go. I get that this thread title was unnecessary. And I get that you'd feel the need to defend a Jet from a thread like this. But I don't get why you seem to be holding so firm that Geno, who won't be he here in 2017, is the one who should stay. Going into next year with just Hackenberg under contract makes absolutely zero sense.

Its a pretty important decision so I'm merely surprised how quick you are to have made that call on Petty already. QBs are your best assets and the kid very clearly has talent. Just because he isn't ready to be the # 2 right now isn't a good enough reason to cut him. 

Thanks for clarifying. I definitely agree that Geno won't be here in 2017. I just don't see how they can keep 4 QBs. And I think Petty is the odd man out. I get all the long term development stuff. But Bowles has to win as many games as possible. And I believe Geno will help him win more games this year than Petty would.

Just because he isn't ready to be the # 2 right now is enough reason to cut him if:

1. You already have the 1, 2 and long term development project as the # 3 lined up

2. You have an aging roster at skill positions so you need roster spots and can't keep 4 QBs

I don't know what will happen. And I did respond strong to the other thread title (saying Petty passed the eye test). But I am not going to be shocked if Petty isn't on the team. 

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SAR I said:

I take offense because I don't think one needs to be a big X and O guy to see that Geno Smith is not a good quarterback and that if there were a good quarterback in there we'd have seen it by now.  You do realize that about 90% of the NFL world agrees with my position, yes?  I may not be an X and O guy but there are thousands out there who are who think the guy is awful too.  Atop this he's not a leader, he's boycotted the media, he does things fans don't like.  I don't care about that stuff actually.

The bigger picture here isn't that Geno is bad, it's that the Jets are letting the quarterback situation fester unanswered for another year.  Every time we commit to a rebuild and bring in a new head coach we accidentally have a good season.  And then everyone gets excited.  And then the Jets knee jerk add old free agents.  And then we fade for years.  And then we repeat this Woody Johnson false "win now" cycle again.  It's great that we got 10 wins last year, truly a fun season.  But here we go again, acting like some win-now team and not concentrating enough on addressing the quarterback position.  Overpay Fitzpatrick.  Draft not one but two project QB's and sign up for another year of a journeyman QB a-la Testeverde or Favre and retain a guy who was given the starting job and bombed. Fitzpatrick is a JAG and Geno is in the way of validating Petty and Hackenberg.  Woody Johnson quarterback limbo yet again.  Thus the boo's.

SAR I

I think you are faking "offense" and you will store it away for a rainy day in your defense of another issue. But I digress, lol.

The bolded parts: I agree. Which is why I made the case about being cautious bringing Fitz back. He is average and I think Petty could get cut\traded as a result.

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

Geno is standing in the way of progress at the quarterback position.  That's why he needs to go.  When one boo's Geno, one is booing Jets management for keeping him, not the player.  Yes, as you state the chapter needs to close.  I want it closed now, not a year from now. 

If things go according to the script, one year from today we will be in the same boat.  Do we draft a quarterback?  Do we resign Fitzpatrick?  Is Petty NFL caliber?  Does Hackenberg have what it takes?  If Geno is gone tomorrow, we are much closer to getting an answer at the quarterback position rather than maintaining status quo as we can focus on the young kids who might amount to something.

SAR I

I can appreciate where you are coming from but I don't think Booing is going to effect Mac and Bowles decision at all. It will be based on what they see on the field.   As bad as Geno has been; he is the only quarterback other than Fitz that has ever taken an NFL snap.   Petty had an opportunity to put more pressure on Bowles regarding the back up qb position and unfortunately, was underwhelming at best.    I personally think he just had a bad few series and was  unfairly snatched out.  How he plays next week will go a long way in what decision the team makes but he may have missed a golden opportunity to pass Geno by on the depth chart.   Regarding Hackenburg, you are not going to see him unless there is an injury and that is how it should be.  Lets properly develop this guy and let him compete in 2017 with Petty and or whomever else, we bring in. 

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

I can appreciate where you are coming from but I don't think Booing is going to effect Mac and Bowles decision at all. It will be based on what they see on the field.   As bad as Geno has been; he is the only quarterback other than Fitz that has ever taken an NFL snap.   Petty had an opportunity to put more pressure on Bowles regarding the back up qb position and unfortunately, was underwhelming at best.    I personally think he just had a bad few series and was  unfairly snatched out.  How he plays next week will go a long way in what decision the team makes but he may have missed a golden opportunity to pass Geno by on the depth chart.   Regarding Hackenburg, you are not going to see him unless there is an injury and that is how it should be.  Lets properly develop this guy and let him lose in 2017 to compete with Petty and or whomever we bring in. 

well, the banners those fans flew over florham park helped get idzik fired  B)

Just now, Augustiniak said:

well, the banners those fans flew over florham park helped get idzik fired  B)

True; but this is a totally different situation; this is a player in the last year of an affordable contract and is the only experienced back up on the team.   If Mac decides to cut or move him; it will less about the fans, and more about how it benefits the team. 

15 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Almost doesn't county SAR I only in horse shoes and hand grenades he had a great season with a very easy schedule hopefully he can repeat this season 

At this point I don't see any difference in ability between Bryce Petty and Geno Smith.  Can you give me a few examples of why Geno Smith is even still on the team?  Like, was there a specific 3-game-stretch where Geno looked so fantastic that I missed?  Even a 2-game stretch?  Where exactly does all this Geno love and Geno defense come from?

SAR I

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

I think you are faking "offense" and you will store it away for a rainy day in your defense of another issue. But I digress, lol.

The bolded parts: I agree. Which is why I made the case about being cautious bringing Fitz back. He is average and I think Petty could get cut\traded as a result.

I'm not offended, I just don't think that one needs to be a former NFL coach to see that Geno Smith isn't a future franchise quarterback or a reliable backup.  I know that some in here have played the game and some have credentials, doesn't mean they have a better view because they can recognize good footwork.  Geno Smith simply can't play well, can't play consistently, is not reliable. 

If the Jets really thought this could be a championship caliber season, we wouldn't be having Smith vs. Petty discussions; we'd be negotiating to get a real backup in here, someone who could Hostetler us if we truly needed it.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

At this point I don't see any difference in ability between Bryce Petty and Geno Smith.  Can you give me a few examples of why Geno Smith is even still on the team?  Like, was there a specific 3-game-stretch where Geno looked so fantastic that I missed?  Even a 2-game stretch?  Where exactly does all this Geno love and Geno defense come from?

SAR I

His last 4 games of 2014 we solid.  6 TD's to 2 INT's.  65% completion percentage, 1,000+ yards. An additional 75 yards on the ground.   2 Wins, 2 Losses. average QBR of 89.

Pretty solid, if you ask me.  I think most teams would love that in their back up QB.

47 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I can appreciate where you are coming from but I don't think Booing is going to effect Mac and Bowles decision at all. It will be based on what they see on the field.   As bad as Geno has been; he is the only quarterback other than Fitz that has ever taken an NFL snap.   Petty had an opportunity to put more pressure on Bowles regarding the back up qb position and unfortunately, was underwhelming at best.    I personally think he just had a bad few series and was  unfairly snatched out.  How he plays next week will go a long way in what decision the team makes but he may have missed a golden opportunity to pass Geno by on the depth chart.   Regarding Hackenburg, you are not going to see him unless there is an injury and that is how it should be.  Lets properly develop this guy and let him compete in 2017 with Petty and or whomever else, we bring in. 

I don't think booing Geno does much except make it clear that fans are unhappy with Maccagnan in this regard.  Hard to do since he's done such a terrific job.  But, again, there aren't any reasons for Geno Smith to be on the roster so it's disappointing that he still is:

1. If Fitz is healthy, don't need a backup, cut Smith, get the kids some extra practice work.

2. If Fitz is hurt w/Geno, season is over anyway, don't need Smith to go 1-6, better to validate one of the kids instead.

3. If Fitz is hurt w/legitimate backup, season might turn out okay, if one doesn't trust Petty, fine, get someone else.

4. If/When Fitz is gone next year, so too is Geno, so then we are back to square one from an NFL experience standpoint.

Thing is, when this season goes south, and it will, we really need Petty ready to get a lot of on-field work to see if he's the man or not.  Having Geno Smith around completely sets us back no matter how you look at it.

SAR I

43 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

True; but this is a totally different situation; this is a player in the last year of an affordable contract and is the only experienced back up on the team.   If Mac decides to cut or move him; it will less about the fans, and more about how it benefits the team. 

Read what I wrote earlier.  GM's and coaches care about job preservation, they have no 3 year plan based on patience and development of a franchise QB.

If I were Todd Bowles or Mike Maccagnan, hey, I'd want Geno Smith on the roster as it might make a difference this season, a season in which we aren't going anywhere.  But they'll get props from the media and their peers for doing the right thing, trying to win every game even in a 7-9 campaign.

But if I were Woody Johnson, I'm about to turn 70, I want to know what I've got in Petty and Hackenberg and I'd want them getting #2 and #3 work and not #3 and #4 work.  If the season goes south, I want Bryce Petty on the field who may turn into something and not Geno Smith who has already shown he's not going to make it. 

The Maccagnan/Bowles regime is looking just like the other regime's in the Woody Johnson era.  New guys, team turnaround happens quickly, surprising 10 win or playoff season, we get into "win now!" mode, we live with an old has-been quarterback or a raw rookie, we develop nothing at QB, we wind up in the same place 5 years down the road.  Just once I'd like to stick to the plan.  Just once I'd like a real rebuild.  Sticking with Testaverde and Pennington too long, going after Favre, shoving Sanchez in there too soon, here we go again with Fitzpatrick.  And as an added bonus, Geno Smith gets in the way too. 

SAR I

There are other options to what happens if Fitz gets hurt while Petty is the #2, comes in and sucks.  At that point, probably before that point, but if not, the Jets will likely be out of the playoff hunt, anyway.  I don't see it any different if Smith is the backup.

But if the Jets somehow are in a strong enough position to still make the playoffs, and they just need a game manager, and for some reason they think at that point that Petty can't do that, they can call in someone who's not signed. 

I'm not saying I'd be happy about that.  I just want to make clear it's not like the Jets would be forced to see Petty take the team down in flames.

But the main point remains - why is Smith likely to perform better in a backup role than Petty?  Experience is not a good answer when we are talking about bad experience.

6 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

There are other options to what happens if Fitz gets hurt while Petty is the #2, comes in and sucks.  At that point, probably before that point, but if not, the Jets will likely be out of the playoff hunt, anyway.  I don't see it any different if Smith is the backup.

But if the Jets somehow are in a strong enough position to still make the playoffs, and they just need a game manager, and for some reason they think at that point that Petty can't do that, they can call in someone who's not signed. 

I'm not saying I'd be happy about that.  I just want to make clear it's not like the Jets would be forced to see Petty take the team down in flames.

But the main point remains - why is Smith likely to perform better in a backup role than Petty?  Experience is not a good answer when we are talking about bad experience.

why is it ok if the broncos cut sanchez, the only qb with any nfl experience really, but it's not ok if the jets cut geno when they actually have a qb with a lot of nfl experience?  

I think regardless of who the back-up is on the roster - if Fitz gets hurt, the season is finished. So the question lies in who has the most potential - Geno or Petty?

I think the fact that we have seen what we have seen of Geno makes the choice pretty clear. Geno peaked in his first year and has shown nothing but regression ever since - turning into Sanchez-esque blunder material waiting to happen. He is not our future. Plus he is on the final year of his rookie deal, should he put up OK numbers do we have faith giving him a starting quarterback contract that you know he is going to demand? Does anybody think he is a long term solution?

So if Fitz gets hurt, why not give Petty a trial by fire audition to see what we have? Fitz goes down and we're done. At the very least it will allow us to rule him out instead of waiting until next year to do so. Cut/trade Geno, let Petty take #2 and Hack take #3.

3 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Actually, you could argue that Geno could be better than Petty and it still wouldn't be enough. I don't know if the Jets (especially with their schedule and their O-Line) can win if Fitz goes down - not sure if they can win with him healthy. The real question is, even if Geno is 50% better than Petty now, can the Jets win with Geno? If the answer is no (or not likely), we gain nothing by keeping him, while we will save salary cap, a spot for another player, and more reps for Petty if we don't. We need to know if Petty has a future here (even as a backup). Also, Geno is gone next year; Fitz maybe as well. Do we want to go into next year saying - we have no QBs with experience?

I realize that Macc is taking a bit of a risk if Fitz goes down and Petty doesn't play well, and he might not want to risk his career on a healthy Fitz or a successful Petty, but in reality, we are where we are, and removing Geno from the mix makes the most sense IMO.

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I think regardless of who the back-up is on the roster - if Fitz gets hurt, the season is finished. So the question lies in who has the most potential - Geno or Petty?

I think the fact that we have seen what we have seen of Geno makes the choice pretty clear. Geno peaked in his first year and has shown nothing but regression ever since - turning into Sanchez-esque blunder material waiting to happen. He is not our future. Plus he is on the final year of his rookie deal, should he put up OK numbers do we have faith giving him a starting quarterback contract that you know he is going to demand? Does anybody think he is a long term solution?

So if Fitz gets hurt, why not give Petty a trial by fire audition to see what we have? Fitz goes down and we're done. At the very least it will allow us to rule him out instead of waiting until next year to do so. Cut/trade Geno, let Petty take #2 and Hack take #3.

i don't necessarily think the season is finished if fitz gets hurt.  i think it's finished if fitz gets hurt and they play geno.  

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

why is it ok if the broncos cut sanchez, the only qb with any nfl experience really, but it's not ok if the jets cut geno when they actually have a qb with a lot of nfl experience?  

As of yet, the Broncos haven't cut/traded Sanchez. But I would say that just having won the SB and with his reputation and legendary status in Denver, Elway probably feels more secure in making 'risking' decisions than a 2nd year GM working for an organization that gave its last FO 2 years. Also, Elway hasn't shied away from the tough calls, he traded Tebow after he got them into the playoffs and let his backup QB walk.

Either way, I hope Mac does the right thing here.

49 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Actually, you could argue that Geno could be better than Petty and it still wouldn't be enough. I don't know if the Jets (especially with their schedule and their O-Line) can win if Fitz goes down - not sure if they can win with him healthy. The real question is, even if Geno is 50% better than Petty now, can the Jets win with Geno? If the answer is no (or not likely), we gain nothing by keeping him, while we will save salary cap, a spot for another player, and more reps for Petty if we don't. We need to know if Petty has a future here (even as a backup). Also, Geno is gone next year; Fitz maybe as well. Do we want to go into next year saying - we have no QBs with experience?

I realize that Macc is taking a bit of a risk if Fitz goes down and Petty doesn't play well, and he might not want to risk his career on a healthy Fitz or a successful Petty, but in reality, we are where we are, and removing Geno from the mix makes the most sense IMO.

Yeah, that's the way I see it.  I did not mean previously to suggest otherwise, although it's hard to think of Smith being better than anyone by 50%.

Yes, let's see what Petty can do if needed in the regular season.  Even if he doesn't get in there he gets more work in during practice.  As for 17, if Petty sucks at least that will be evident, and the Jets will have to approach next off season accordingly.  At this point there are two unknowns on the team.  Better to cut down on that lack of knowledge.  Especially since Smith doesn't serve the win now narrative, anyway.

On 8/27/2016 at 11:08 AM, SAR I said:

BOOOOOOOOO

[Traditional one-syllable low groan, lowest amount of effort and low effectiveness]

BOOO-BOOO-BOOO-BOOO

[Emphasis on the "B" makes the low groan appear more menacing, medium effort and medium effectiveness]

BOOOOOOOOOOO

[Starts as a low-groan, gets progressively louder, maximum effort and medium effectiveness]

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

[No fooling around, makes it very clear, supreme effort but supreme effectiveness]

Pick the boo that's right for you, first offensive play of the 3rd quarter let it rain down.

SAR I

I don't want to be called a buffoon by Manless Mehta though. He hurted my feelings.

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

Excellent point.  And the way Geno Smith handles himself with the media and in the locker room can't be overlooked.  If Fitz goes down then the team needs to rally behind a QB and they've never done that for Geno Smith in 3 long years.  If it's Petty, you'll get everyone feeling like they have to do something extra to help the kid, this type of psychology worked in '09 with 22 year old Mark Sanchez.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I don't think booing Geno does much except make it clear that fans are unhappy with Maccagnan in this regard.  Hard to do since he's done such a terrific job.  But, again, there aren't any reasons for Geno Smith to be on the roster so it's disappointing that he still is:

1. If Fitz is healthy, don't need a backup, cut Smith, get the kids some extra practice work.

2. If Fitz is hurt w/Geno, season is over anyway, don't need Smith to go 1-6, better to validate one of the kids instead.

3. If Fitz is hurt w/legitimate backup, season might turn out okay, if one doesn't trust Petty, fine, get someone else.

4. If/When Fitz is gone next year, so too is Geno, so then we are back to square one from an NFL experience standpoint.

Thing is, when this season goes south, and it will, we really need Petty ready to get a lot of on-field work to see if he's the man or not.  Having Geno Smith around completely sets us back no matter how you look at it.

SAR I

Fair enough. 

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Good question, here's the simple answer:

Because John Elway is a legend and just won the Super Bowl, his owner and fans will tolerate 2016 being an off year as he patiently tries to discover if his two young QB's have what it takes.

Because Maccagnan and Bowles are unproven rookies in a twitchy town, their owner and fans are in a too-familiar "win now!" frenzy and it's not about getting ready for the Brady/Bellichick retirement in 2018 as it should be.

Elway has the luxury of credibility and patience, something we lack right now.  I, for one, would have rather seen Macca be ballsy and cut Fitzpatrick and Smith loose in July, throw Petty and Hackenberg to the wind and see what the hell we've got as opposed to going 7-9 with our #1 and #2 headed for free agency next season.  The biggest mistake we can make this year is to come out of it with the same damn QB questions we have right now; Denver isn't in such a situation.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Excellent point.  And the way Geno Smith handles himself with the media and in the locker room can't be overlooked.  If Fitz goes down then the team needs to rally behind a QB and they've never done that for Geno Smith in 3 long years.  If it's Petty, you'll get everyone feeling like they have to do something extra to help the kid, this type of psychology worked in '09 with 22 year old Mark Sanchez.

SAR I

geno has this 'me against the world that has dissed me' mentality that doesn't inspire.  you see how happy everyone on the jets sidelines was when hack threw the td?  teammates and coaches coming over to him, hugging him, high fiving.  bowles actually smiling.  that's how you want your team to respond to you.

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The biggest mistake we can make this year is to come out of it with the same damn QB questions we have right now; Denver isn't in such a situation.

SAR I

i'd be surprised if either petty or hack is not the starter in 2017.  clearly this is a learning year for hack.  as for petty, we'll see how they view him, first when final cuts are done, and what happens during the season.  for all we know they could be holding onto geno to see if they can deal him after an injury.

19 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

I don't want to be called a buffoon by Manless Mehta though. He hurted my feelings.

The Daily News is on my sh:t-list because Mehta is still covering the Jets and Pat Leonard is no longer covering the Rangers.  Used to be my favorite paper, no more.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i'd be surprised if either petty or hack is not the starter in 2017.  clearly this is a learning year for hack.  as for petty, we'll see how they view him, first when final cuts are done, and what happens during the season.  for all we know they could be holding onto geno to see if they can deal him after an injury.

Agreed, and we might draft another QB in April, who knows.

The #2 QB prepares for this week's competitor, the #3 QB prepares the scout team acting like our competitor.  It makes way too much sense for Petty to be the #2 and master our system and for Hackenberg to be our #3 and learn the ways of a cross-section of NFL quarterbacks.  Keeping Geno Smith pushes both Petty and Hackenberg far away from the ultimate goal for this season from a developmental standpoint, it just can't happen in a year when we're not winning a division and will struggle to eke out a measly wildcard.

We're a rebuilding team, damn it.  Let's act like one.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Agreed, and we might draft another QB in April, who knows.

The #2 QB prepares for this week's competitor, the #3 QB prepares the scout team acting like our competitor.  It makes way too much sense for Petty to be the #2 and master our system and for Hackenberg to be our #3 and learn the ways of a cross-section of NFL quarterbacks.  Keeping Geno Smith pushes both Petty and Hackenberg far away from the ultimate goal for this season from a developmental standpoint, it just can't happen in a year when we're not winning a division and will struggle to eke out a measly wildcard.

We're a rebuilding team, damn it.  Let's act like one.

SAR I

mccags has emphasized his desire to develop 'a pipeline of qbs', not just one.  the decision to keep geno and stunt the development of the first 2 qbs he's drafted, would appear to be contradictory to his goal, mainly b/c it is very unlikely geno is here beyond this season.  and it's not like geno is clearly the #2 qb on the team, he hasn't outplayed petty in the preseason or by most accounts, in practice either.  experience is valuable, but not if you keep sucking.  then it just supports the notion you can't improve.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Good question, here's the simple answer:

Because John Elway is a legend and just won the Super Bowl, his owner and fans will tolerate 2016 being an off year as he patiently tries to discover if his two young QB's have what it takes.

Because Maccagnan and Bowles are unproven rookies in a twitchy town, their owner and fans are in a too-familiar "win now!" frenzy and it's not about getting ready for the Brady/Bellichick retirement in 2018 as it should be.

Elway has the luxury of credibility and patience, something we lack right now.  I, for one, would have rather seen Macca be ballsy and cut Fitzpatrick and Smith loose in July, throw Petty and Hackenberg to the wind and see what the hell we've got as opposed to going 7-9 with our #1 and #2 headed for free agency next season.  The biggest mistake we can make this year is to come out of it with the same damn QB questions we have right now; Denver isn't in such a situation.

SAR I

Agree with the assessment of the situation in Denver.  This off season nobody has the cred that Elway has in the entire league.  And this is just a couple of years after he traded Tebow right out of town, which I assume the Bronco fans even those who were sad/angry to see that happen had to see it was definitely the right move. 

And to some extent I agree that the tone with the Jets is different. but how could it not be different?  Macc and Bowles are still largely unproven entities. 

Where I disagree is in effect suggesting that the Jets should not be trying to win this year, with Fitz giving them the best hope of doing that.  He's on a one year deal.  Playing onjly Petty and Hack this year is a concept that has downside potential to it.  The Jets had the money for the Fitz contract.  I see no long term deleterious effect here.  Meanwhile Petty and Hackenberg get to be around Fitz and learn from his leadership and attitude. 

The Jets with Smith out of the way should be able to work with Petty and Hack and still field a playoff contender. 

21 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Agree with the assessment of the situation in Denver.  This off season nobody has the cred that Elway has in the entire league.  And this is just a couple of years after he traded Tebow right out of town, which I assume the Bronco fans even those who were sad/angry to see that happen had to see it was definitely the right move. 

And to some extent I agree that the tone with the Jets is different. but how could it not be different?  Macc and Bowles are still largely unproven entities. 

Where I disagree is in effect suggesting that the Jets should not be trying to win this year, with Fitz giving them the best hope of doing that.  He's on a one year deal.  Playing onjly Petty and Hack this year is a concept that has downside potential to it.  The Jets had the money for the Fitz contract.  I see no long term deleterious effect here.  Meanwhile Petty and Hackenberg get to be around Fitz and learn from his leadership and attitude. 

The Jets with Smith out of the way should be able to work with Petty and Hack and still field a playoff contender. 

Good post, but we'll disagree on our strategy for this season.

It would be nice, for once, if the Jets actually took the time to rebuild during a rebuild.  We were not supposed to win 10 games last year, we shouldn't act like we did.  Because it doesn't matter or help us this year.  We are still the shell of the 4-12 Idzik mess held together with glue and duct tape and until we find the long-term solution at QB we aren't winning anything.

SAR I

17 hours ago, SAR I said:

Good post, but we'll disagree on our strategy for this season.

It would be nice, for once, if the Jets actually took the time to rebuild during a rebuild.  We were not supposed to win 10 games last year, we shouldn't act like we did.  Because it doesn't matter or help us this year.  We are still the shell of the 4-12 Idzik mess held together with glue and duct tape and until we find the long-term solution at QB we aren't winning anything.

SAR I

First of all as a general matter I will say again that winning aside from other things is also both an attitude and a habit.  It's not something even a team capable of winning can turn off and then easily  turn it back on.  Vet players who think the people running the team are not invested in winning on the player's time line develop bad attitudes which in turn are corrosive for younger players, who in turn learn how to lose, and not how to win.  So there's that.

winning in the NFL these days cannot be done solely by using players in their first couple of years in the league, either.  Which is another way of saying you need vets as part of the mix.  So that goes back to the preceding point.

Now I do agree that the Jets need a medium to long term solution at Qb, and Fitz is not even a medium term one, let alone a long term one.  The point is I just do not see him being on the team as preventing the Jets from developing Petty and/or Hackenberg, and he certainly does not prevent them, being on a one year deal, from looking at some other option than those two if indicated next off season.

Smith's presence, on the other hand, as we seem to both agree, does at least have the strong potential to delay their development.

I see no conflict between seeing how far Fitzpatrick can take this team this year, hoping for a playoff berth, and developing Petty or Hackenberg.  In fact it could help, RF looking like a good role model for developing Qb's who can also help teach them.  And there is downside to playing a Qb too soon with too much pressure on them.  Meanwhile I don't see the Jets going any length of time with Smith as the Qb on the field, and the Jets remaining competitive.  Not any more than if they had to play Petty in that situation.  I think we agree on that as well.

I wouldnt boo Geno but I really dont know what he is thinking... Every time you hear about the Jets QBs as a group you hear about 3 of them, not Geno.  Stretching to being on the field after practice to getting together.  Just very odd... Not sure how he gets permission to not stretch with the QB group, how does a coach allow that, I'd like to know.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/27/2016 at 5:23 PM, Villain The Foe said:

Typical of  this fanbase. 

On 8/27/2016 at 5:52 PM, Warfish said:

Good fans don't boo their team.

/endofdiscussionforme

See, you're confusing me with people who actually root against their team as well as celebrate injuries. Please direct your comments to the proper fake fans. 

Just look through this one thread and you tell me if im the one where celebrating injuries/assaults and boo quarterbacks of my team. Please, quit crying to me and deal with the actual posters who actually display what you're assuming I do. 

Archived