NYG Observations

KRL

An "encouraging and dominant loss" last night, let's take a look at the game:

General

- Good to see the "challenge operation" improved as Bowles got both of them right and
got awarded a third

- Impressed with NYG Eli Apple he looks like he could be a good CB.  He better watch his
hands though he got away with several holds that weren't called

Special Teams

- Continues to show massive improvement from the dreck we've been exposed to the last
few years.  Lachlan Edwards, Bruce Carter, Rontez Miles, Jeremy Ross and Chandler Worthy
all had big games.  Our coverage units had a couple of hiccups though allowing a good punt
and kick return

- Good bounce back from Ross Martin with that 55 yard FG.  He won't make the team this year
but with a little more work he could get the job next year

Defense

- An absolutely dominant effort, NYG couldn't get past midfield until the third quarter and that
was because of a facemask penalty.  The missed tackles and "whiffs" disappeared and the third down
efficiency was excellent

- The speed and pressure started to remind me of what Bowles was running in ARZ.  You also saw a
ton of 4-2-5 looks where Calvin Pryor "floated" between S & LB

- Speaking of Pryor he had a huge game with a sack, at least one TFL and an assist on the Revis
INT.  Beckham was so scared of getting clocked by Pryor that he broke off his route and allowed
the pick

- The DLine was so dominant it seemed like NYG was scared to run certain plays and put Manning in
harm's way.  Muhammad Wilkerson and Steve McLendon were absolute beasts and lived in the backfield
all night.  With McLendon's ability to penetrate we didn't have to sub him out in passing downs and
stayed with four down linemen

- The only bad play of the night was Dee Milliner getting spun around and giving up a TD to a second
string WR.  He needs to be better than that

- An under the radar guy who had another excellent game was Julian Stanford (ILB).  Was all over
the field with the #2 defense and is a demon on specials.  Can he find a spot on the roster?

Offense

- Was the worst of the three units particularly because of awful QB ball security when we were in
scoring range.  Ryan Fitzpatrick held onto the ball too long allowing the Harrison sack/fumble and
Bryce Petty threw a "Sanchezian" screen pass pick 6.  Those plays cost us 6 points and gave them 7

- Speaking of Fitzpatrick he needs to get into better sync with ALL the WR's not just Brandon Marshall.
Because there were at least three wide open receivers he missed that would have gone for big
gains:
      * Eric Decker on a 15 yard out for a first down
      * Matt Forte on a screen in single coverage against a LB
      * Robby Anderson wide open with no one around on a broken play
To whom much is given much is required, he wanted $12 million he's got to play up to that level.  He
can't be under 60% again when it comes to completion percentage, not with this group of WR's

- Good opening drive by Christian Hackenberg taking the team in for a TD.  He was up and down after
that but that's to be expected.  There's still a ton of work that needs to be done but one thing that's
encouraging is he works through his progressions when scanning the field.  He doesn't just lock onto 
his first option   

- Good pass protection from the OLine again.  The RT's remained anonymous and for all the $$$ NYG
spent on their DLine our QB's remained clean.  Did Pierre-Paul even play, I never heard his name.
The run blocking was up and down but I'll give credit to Harrison for that, we all know how good
he is

- Good to see Matt Forte out there working the rust off.  Nothing dynamic but you caught glimpses
of how he'll help in the pass game 

- Solid games out of Zach Sudfeld and Brandon Bostick at TE.  Can they push Jace Amaro and Kellen
Davis out the door?

- Solid games again for Jalin Marshall, Robby Anderson, Charone Peake and Jeremy Ross at WR.  In
my book I keep all of them over Kenbrell Thompkins.  A few nice catches last year doesn't give him
a "scholarship"

Thanks KRL for such a thorough write up...I was at Citi Field last night watching the Mets take batting practice off of the Phillies... It looks like the defense is on all cylinders now and the special teams finally has some much needed talent... Tough reading about the offense, I just hope that they can be serviceable in the beginning of this difficult schedule and capitalize when the defense gives them good position...if they can just do that, we shouldn't need much, just enough to squeak out a few quick W's... Hopefully then by year end the offense is gelling better. 

Nice balance on the write up, Thanks KRL, it felt worse watching the game due to the turnovers and the Jets not taking advantage of some great opportunities, it was a nice beat down of Eli but the Jets should have rolled that team on both sides of the ball, QB play was erratic, too many ups and downs for the 3rd preseason game

Thanks again KRL. 

The improvement of Coach Bowles' game management was clearly evident. I hope it is here to stay myself.

ST had a blocked punt and several decent returns. Lac is the man. He has been money all PS. The bottom end of the draft is not being wasted any more. Ross Martin will probably be on another team this season. His improvement has been noticed since PS game one.

I thought the Big Mo excited the D. He made sure that his presence was felt early and often. The Giants focused on stopping Leo I thought. I want SR to step it up a bit more. When he gets going this D will be even tougher to block. I figured that when the Jets signed McL that they would use a 4 man line as he is not a true NT.. 

Catapano and Mauldin missed setting the edge a few times but I am nit picking here. Pryor's rep is out there now. To get OBJ to back off like that shows he is playing at a Pro Bowl level. He made the Revis pick happen. Revis is money. Dee is still shaking off the rust. He was badly out positioned by that WR. I think he will surprise by mid season though. He certainly needs more reps. Hope he gets plenty next week.

51 has been active all PS. He certainly needs to stay as does Bishop. He is constantly in the back field causing disruption if not sacks. When this full unit is on display by game 2 it may be the new Murderer's Row. I hope that the Old Man in the middle is ok too.

Awful night by the QB's. RG is an issue. The Jets could not run right and the pass blocking was leaky with the starters gone. Qvale and Ijalana both need to start. Winters is a good back up not a starter.

Tompkins will be cut this week so he can get a chance to catch on with another team. The Jets are deep at WR. Hats off to the scouts. For most of the franchise history WR has been an Iron Link (Sauer, Maynard, Caster, Walker, Toon, Moore, Mathis, Coles) Good to see this young group. They make plays and will be mismatch nightmares for defenses this season.

i would start Powell at RB. I like Forte here though. The Giants stopped that Powell middle screen twice. Jets need to review that play.

i think Sudfeld is the starting TE. Amaro has more speed but his drive killing drops are Becht-like.

Good update.

Fitz was completely inept. He literally threw one accurate pass and several completely awful ones.

Julian Stanford really flashed

The DL looked ridiculously strong at POA, still not a dramatic pass rushing front

I keep 7 receivers if I am the Jets and dump Bohannon

Hackenburg looks like could be the guy as does Petty

Fitz literally cannot throw anything other than dump offs to RBs and "area" passes to Decker and Marshall. He is going to be exposed very badly.

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Good update.

Fitz was completely inept. He literally threw one accurate pass and several completely awful ones.

Julian Stanford really flashed

The DL looked ridiculously strong at POA, still not a dramatic pass rushing front

I keep 7 receivers if I am the Jets and dump Bohannon

Hackenburg looks like could be the guy as does Petty

Fitz literally cannot throw anything other than dump offs to RBs and "area" passes to Decker and Marshall. He is going to be exposed very badly.

Haters gonna hate ... No need to ruin an otherwise respectable review with the "repeat repeat" tactic

Want to reiterate the 2 points that really jumped out at me that KRL pointed out.

1. OBJ completely p*ssied out with Pryor coming to lay the wood into him ... Wouldn't have mattered if it's 3rd preseason game or Super Bowl ... He was scared $h*tless of getting lit up & wasn't going anywhere near that ball!

2. Specials ... What a wonderful 180 degree turn ... The block was just the icing on the cake !!!

- The DLine was so dominant it seemed like NYG was scared to run certain plays and put Manning in
harm's way.  Muhammad Wilkerson and Steve McLendon were absolute beasts and lived in the backfield
all night.  With McLendon's ability to penetrate we didn't have to sub him out in passing downs and

I noticed King Leo and big Mo next to each other on the left side of a 4 man front a few times.  How are you gonna block that ? You're not

6 hours ago, KRL said:

An "encouraging and dominant loss" last night, let's take a look at the game:

General

- Good to see the "challenge operation" improved as Bowles got both of them right and
got awarded a third

- Impressed with NYG Eli Apple he looks like he could be a good CB.  He better watch his
hands though he got away with several holds that weren't called

Special Teams

- Continues to show massive improvement from the dreck we've been exposed to the last
few years.  Lachlan Edwards, Bruce Carter, Rontez Miles, Jeremy Ross and Chandler Worthy
all had big games.  Our coverage units had a couple of hiccups though allowing a good punt
and kick return

- Good bounce back from Ross Martin with that 55 yard FG.  He won't make the team this year
but with a little more work he could get the job next year

Defense

- An absolutely dominant effort, NYG couldn't get past midfield until the third quarter and that
was because of a facemask penalty.  The missed tackles and "whiffs" disappeared and the third down
efficiency was excellent

- The speed and pressure started to remind me of what Bowles was running in ARZ.  You also saw a
ton of 4-2-5 looks where Calvin Pryor "floated" between S & LB

- Speaking of Pryor he had a huge game with a sack, at least one TFL and an assist on the Revis
INT.  Beckham was so scared of getting clocked by Pryor that he broke off his route and allowed
the pick

- The only bad play of the night was Dee Milliner getting spun around and giving up a TD to a second

- An under the radar guy who had another excellent game was Julian Stanford (ILB).  Was all over
the field with the #2 defense and is a demon on specials.  Can he find a spot on the roster?

Offense

- Was the worst of the three units particularly because of awful QB ball security when we were in
scoring range.  Ryan Fitzpatrick held onto the ball too long allowing the Harrison sack/fumble and
Bryce Petty threw a "Sanchezian" screen pass pick 6.  Those plays cost us 6 points and gave them 7

- Speaking of Fitzpatrick he needs to get into better sync with ALL the WR's not just Brandon Marshall.
Because there were at least three wide open receivers he missed that would have gone for big
gains:
      * Eric Decker on a 15 yard out for a first down
      * Matt Forte on a screen in single coverage against a LB
      * Robby Anderson wide open with no one around on a broken play
To whom much is given much is required, he wanted $12 million he's got to play up to that level.  He
can't be under 60% again when it comes to completion percentage, not with this group of WR's

- Good opening drive by Christian Hackenberg taking the team in for a TD.  He was up and down after
that but that's to be expected.  There's still a ton of work that needs to be done but one thing that's
encouraging is he works through his progressions when scanning the field.  He doesn't just lock onto 
his first option   

- Good pass protection from the OLine again.  The RT's remained anonymous and for all the $$$ NYG
spent on their DLine our QB's remained clean.  Did Pierre-Paul even play, I never heard his name.
The run blocking was up and down but I'll give credit to Harrison for that, we all know how good
he is

- Good to see Matt Forte out there working the rust off.  Nothing dynamic but you caught glimpses
of how he'll help in the pass game 

- Solid games out of Zach Sudfeld and Brandon Bostick at TE.  Can they push Jace Amaro and Kellen
Davis out the door?

- Solid games again for Jalin Marshall, Robby Anderson, Charone Peake and Jeremy Ross at WR.  In
my book I keep all of them over Kenbrell Thompkins.  A few nice catches last year doesn't give him
a "scholarship"

Thanks for the great write-up!

Was pleasantly surprised with the performance of the defense, especially McLendon who seems to be a pretty good all-around player.  However, the Giants aren't what I would call a "timing and precision" offense, nor do they attack the edge very well, so this was a rather easy assignment for the Jets D, especially with Revis neutralizing Beckham.  Let's not call this the 2009 defense just yet.

On offense, Fitz needs to shore up his accuracy and ball security.  Clady got beat a couple of times, which caused at least one inaccurate Fitz pass.  Matt Forte will be a huge receiving weapon.  Jalin Marshall definitely looks to have a role in this offense too.

Ok so Milliner got beat on that one TD play by a guy I never heard of before but actually this Wr made some good plays last night and could make the NYG team. But mostly his coverage was ok to good and if he stays healthy it looks like he can make a contribution and could start if needed. He's capable of it. We all know how many Db injuries occur during the regular season and how many teams have to play guys off the street. He's better than that. So since we're paying him anyways let's keep him unless Mac can make a deal but that's doubtful unless the Jets agreed to eat most of his remaining money. Maybe for an O-lineman?

Was pleasantly surprised with the performance of the defense, especially McLendon who seems to be a pretty good all-around player.  However, the Giants aren't what I would call a "timing and precision" offense, nor do they attack the edge very well, so this was a rather easy assignment for the Jets D, especially with Revis neutralizing Beckham.  Let's not call this the 2009 defense just yet.

On offense, Fitz needs to shore up his accuracy and ball security.  Clady got beat a couple of times, which caused at least one inaccurate Fitz pass.  Matt Forte will be a huge receiving weapon.  Jalin Marshall definitely looks to have a role in this offense too.

Haven't seen this noted anywhere, but was pretty impressed with Marcus Williams last night. Revis actually stayed primarily on the left side with MW on the right and ODB spent most of the night on the offense's left side, thereby avoiding Revis. Williams, probably with some help over the top and a dline that made things very uncomfortable for Eli, rendered ODB almost invisible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Ok so Milliner got beat on that one TD play by a guy I never heard of before but actually this Wr made some good plays last night and could make the NYG team. But mostly his coverage was ok to good and if he stays healthy it looks like he can make a contribution and could start if needed. He's capable of it. We all know how many Db injuries occur during the regular season and how many teams have to play guys off the street. He's better than that. So since we're paying him anyways let's keep him unless Mac can make a deal but that's doubtful unless the Jets agreed to eat most of his remaining money. Maybe for an O-lineman?

You should be a criminal defense lawyer, preferably a public defender.

defending those with no real defense. ?

I cant imagine Milner isn't on IR by week 4.   

1 hour ago, ljr said:

Want to reiterate the 2 points that really jumped out at me that KRL pointed out.

1. OBJ completely p*ssied out with Pryor coming to lay the wood into him ... Wouldn't have mattered if it's 3rd preseason game or Super Bowl ... He was scared $h*tless of getting lit up & wasn't going anywhere near that ball!

2. Specials ... What a wonderful 180 degree turn ... The block was just the icing on the cake !!!

Weren't a bunch of people here lauding Marshall for doing the exact same thing last week . I hate the Giants but these guys are playing for big $$$ they're not going to take needless hits in a meaningless game. 

37 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Weren't a bunch of people here lauding Marshall for doing the exact same thing last week . I hate the Giants but these guys are playing for big $$$ they're not going to take needless hits in a meaningless game. 

Not me

can see the side of the argument to play it safe ... You want to get into some guys with existing medical condition stuff I can see that even more ... BUT ... My bad *$$ tough guy #1 WR I don't want to be a chicken $h*t when it comes to putting his money where his mouth is ... Turning. A blind eye to last week circumstances being reversed? Maybe so  ... But right now I'm liking Pryor being to *$$ kicker & OBJ being the p*$$y !

11 minutes ago, ljr said:

Not me

can see the side of the argument to play it safe ... You want to get into some guys with existing medical condition stuff I can see that even more ... BUT ... My bad *$$ tough guy #1 WR I don't want to be a chicken $h*t when it comes to putting his money where his mouth is ... Turning. A blind eye to last week circumstances being reversed? Maybe so  ... But right now I'm liking Pryor being to *$$ kicker & OBJ being the p*$$y !

Don't get me wrong , if it happens in a "real" game I'd be livid at Marshall and would call out OBJ accordingly.

And you have to love Pryor turning into a feared defender - another guy the fanbase was quick to label a bust and mistake of a draft pick. 

Defensively the most striking observation is just how much we ran the 4-3.  I wonder if that is our base now, I know we are "multiple" but doesn't the 4-3 make perfect sense?  Was this the plan all along now that we have 3 possible Pro Bowl DL's.  We signed Mclendon who is a 3 technique, we drafted an undersized LB a la Jonathan Vilma - maybe we are really a 4-3 team now. I understand we'll run 3-4, 4-3, 5-2 etc.

great write-up, KRL.

Hackenberg showed alot of good signs, for a rookie in his first action. good footwork,(althoughin the shotgun alot) good progression through reads. even caught him looking off the safety once or twice. Dee Milliner being a top 10 draft pick is the only indictment of the Idzik regime anyone needs

59 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Defensively the most striking observation is just how much we ran the 4-3.  I wonder if that is our base now, I know we are "multiple" but doesn't the 4-3 make perfect sense?  Was this the plan all along now that we have 3 possible Pro Bowl DL's.  We signed Mclendon who is a 3 technique, we drafted an undersized LB a la Jonathan Vilma - maybe we are really a 4-3 team now. I understand we'll run 3-4, 4-3, 5-2 etc.

Mostly we ran a 4-2-5 with Pryor playing a S/LB role. I love it. We could also sub in Lee for a larger look. 

I think Hack, and Petty both "looked" good. There's no substitute for experience, and we can't know if either of them are going to improve, or how much, but I like the way Mac seems to be thinking. Keep drafting guys that have all the tools, and intangibles and hope one or more gets it. I'd love to have a QB one day that doesn't have to have any weaknesses covered up.  

just watched (re-watched game) - my thoughts:

Defense - played great,

* DL looks strong but just like we were never as bad as we looked without 2 DL starters in first game, remember this is the Giants with a bad O-line and mis-firing offense - hopefully they are as good as they look.

* Secondary looks pretty good; Revis still dominates. Forget the interception, watch the way he tackles - one on one plays it tough - best complete CB; he makes everyone else look good; Pryor continuing to grow; Glighrist looking pretty good; Miles makes the team for ST alone.

* LBs - looks promising, but still an unknown. We will show some rookie pains but hopefully they will be good; right now weakest part of D

Special Teams - much better than last year; Punter still a little inconsistent, but hopefully he will improve. Return game much better; coverage pretty good, but let a couple of big returns. Just goes to show what a new coach and depth and speed on the team can do for STs

Offense - looked a bit shaky; hopefully the rust will come off; Fitz 2 worst plays fumble and almost INT seemed to be from rust (he never holds the ball that long) and mis-communication with Decker. Also, Marshall was out. Decker isn't really a #1; when Marshall is in, everyone especially Decker and Quincy (who didn't play) get better (just like Revis makes the secondary instantly better). Not making excuses, but hopefully O will be better moving forward

Questions:

1. Why did Geno only get 2 series? Is it because he has already locked up the #2 or the Jets have moved on, or they were giving Petty the chance to earn it.

2. RBs; Hopefully Forte will be able to stay strong all year; Powell good, but what after that?

3. What was with the play calling; hopefully Chan is just trying out plays/players, but some of the calls where baffling like the conservative calls on Hack's second series. I didn't mind them letting Hack throw out of the EZ, however; he has to learn one way or another - this game has no value; let him learn.

4. The OL is filled with question marks; no wonder they wanted Fitz back

Winners:

Wilkerson - he got his money and showed why he did (now if only Sheldon can dominate the DL will be scary good)

Robbie Anderson - damn he has looked good

Hack - he had his ups and downs, but the first drive showed that the he has potential and the doom and gloom of the media was overblown

Special Teams - one of the biggest weaknesses of last year (could have cost us a few games and the playoffs); no may be one of the strengths.

Bowels - looks much more relaxed this year; turned around the sloppy tackling of the first 2 games; much better time management; good choices on challenges. I didn't like him pulling Petty after the INT, but other than that - good game

Mac - took 2 of the worse parts of the Jets into strengths with depth in WR and STs; LBs have potential, but much to learn and prove

Loosers:

Petty - Although he had 2 good drives and only that one stupid/fluky turn-over, if you think the coaches were giving him the chance to win the #2 spot, not sure he did enough; hopefully he stays  on the team this year.

Milliner - Again, I thought he had a pretty good game except for the blown play on the TD. Again, however, he had the chance to earn the #2 spot, not sure he did enough; most CBs will eventually get blown - he had 2 'almost' picks - he plays a little better the #2 spot would be his (maybe it will)

Amaro - He has not done anything to earn the starting job

NFL Channel - there coverage sucked; had to switch back to Game Pass; they kept cutting Jets possessions for time, but showed the stupid tweets, etc.

Giants #1 Offense - what a joke; even against our #2s, they couldn't do anything

Officials - bad spotting,  two calls that had to be over-turned on review, but after letting the giants cheap shot and late hit the Jets, and practically mug the WRs (even on Decker's TD) they threw 2 lame flags (roughing the passer - QB ran into the hand of the Jet) and PI (way worse done to Decker all game)

Giants Coaching - just like the year Rex put in the #2s to win the snoopy trophy, playing the #1s into the 3rd, calling a reverse against the Jet's #3s, they tried too hard for the win (and got it); for his sake, I hope it turns out better than it did for Rex.

Finally Thoughts:

I think the Jets should take some risks here and trade/cut Geno. I don't think he is as bad as many here think, but not sure we are going to win with Fitz; if he goes down, I don't think either Geno nor Petty can win enough games - especially with this OL; Geno isn't the future, Petty might be - time to move on; 

Cut Bohanan; the FB is a dinosaur position. This OL can't bully their way through short yardage even with a FB; use the h-back and keep the extra WR (or other).

I don't expect a post season team, but I am hopeful and optimistic about the future. I hope to enjoy the season, and maybe be proven wrong about the playoffs.

13 hours ago, KRL said:

Defense

Great write up KRL - I won't be able to watch the game till Wednesday.

Not surprised to hear Milliner is continuing to fail on fundamentals.

If we're depending on a guy that still bites big time on play fakes - we've got problems in our secondary that will cost us a lot of points.

I know we've got to pay him this year but hopefully he's not taking up reps by next spring. 

3 hours ago, NJ said:

Great write up KRL - I won't be able to watch the game till Wednesday.

Not surprised to hear Milliner is continuing to fail on fundamentals.

If we're depending on a guy that still bites big time on play fakes - we've got problems in our secondary that will cost us a lot of points.

I know we've got to pay him this year but hopefully he's not taking up reps by next spring. 

Yeah, we had Cro doing that last year ...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-nyg-nyj-grades-giants-rookie-cb-eli-apple-earns-high-mark-in-second-outing/

New York Jets

Quarterback grade: Ryan Fitzpatrick, 45.3; Geno Smith, 68.5; Bryce Petty, 45.7; Christian Hackenberg, 49.6

Rookie QB Christian Hackenberg starts strong, sputters late in debut

With all of the discussion about the Jets needing to change rookie Christian Hackenberg’s mechanics, as well as the fact that he didn’t play in the first two games, it was a bit of a surprise to see him get an opportunity this week. After a slightly off-target screen pass and a delay-of-game penalty, Hackenberg looked outright impressive on his first drive, as he picked up multiple first downs through the air. He finished the drive off with a touchdown pass and, even though the defender was easily beaten, the throw placement was perfect. The rest of the game didn’t go quite as well, as he didn’t see underneath coverage on two occasions, with the second being especially poor and leading to an interception (which led to the game-winning drive by the Giants). Hackenberg did not complete a pass on any of his five dropbacks under pressure, though one was dropped and he threw away three others. While Hackenberg did have a couple of misreads, there were definitely positives in his first outing, and he didn’t really have any overwhelming issues with accuracy like he did in college.

Top offensive grades:
WR Robby Anderson, 78.5
OT Jarvis Harrison, 78.2
C Wesley Johnson, 75.3
FB Julian Howsare, 74.9
OT Ben Ijalana, 72.9
FB Tommy Bohanon, 72.9

Rookie receiver shines again

With multiple Jets wide receivers sitting the game out, rookie UDFA Robby Anderson stepped up for a second-consecutive week. Anderson picked up either a first down or scored a touchdown on each of his four receptions, which went for a total of 65 yards. As of the end of Saturday’s games, Anderson now leads the league with 203 receiving yards in the preseason and has the second-highest receiving grade at the position. RB Matt Forte graded out average in his Jets debut. His 10 rushes went for just 28 yards, with none being longer than 6 yards, and he failed to force a missed tackle. Forte did pick up a first down on a 9-yard pass reception though, and was targeted three times overall.

Top defensive grades:
LB David Harris, 82.9
DE Muhammad Wilkerson, 82.0
LB Julian Stanford, 82.0
S Calvin Pryor, 80.9
CB Darrelle Revis, 80.5

Jets front-seven dominates against the run

As was mentioned already, the Giants had trouble finding success running the ball throughout the game, and Muhammad Wilkerson and David Harris were a big reason for that early on. The duo played 12 run-defense snaps together and combined for seven defensive stops on those plays. The only Jets defender with a below-average grade against the run was Taiwan Jones due to his two missed tackles (and he also had a third in coverage). Safety Calvin Pryor had three defensive stops of his own, with one in each facet of defense.

Archived