Geno Smith Trade Speculation Rumors: MERGED

AFJF

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Pac said:

can't wait for all the tears when he's not traded and named the #2.  

Will they be more or less salty than the ones you shed because people say a sh*tty player is sh*tty on the interweb?

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Will they be more or less salty than the ones you shed because people say a sh*tty player is sh*tty on the interweb?

More..  but less than you shed when you say something stupid and someone takes you to the woodshed.  MUCH less.

Now do me a favor and do that thing where you claim I'm an idiot for responding after you had responded to me.

2 hours ago, EM31 said:

You miss the point entirely.  To those who like to make the case that the Jets "ruined" Mark Sanchez, this excuse becomes a universal get out of jail free card which can be played endlessly.  I fully expect the Geno crowd to follow similar "logic" and have both sides of this issue.  If Geno goes elswhere and is wildly successful then they told us it would be so and if he continues to suck elsewhere then it is because of the ruination rained down on him by the Jets organization.

Heads I win tails you lose!

Disagree completely.

Mark Sanchez shined brightly during a 22 game stretch where we went 18-4, he led us on 5 brilliant 4th quarter comebacks to save our 11-5 2010 season, and of course he played bigtime in the playoffs, was arguably the best Jet on the field in two AFC Championship Games.  Say what you want about Mark Sanchez, he was the best playoff quarterback in team history.  The stats, the record, and the demeanor support this.

Geno Smith may have been 'ruined' by the Jets GM/HC combo but he never showed any flashes, ever.  Comparing him to Mark Sanchez from a standpoint of lack-of-support is a joke, there is zero evidence to show that he would have been a money pressure player with a decent team around him.  We saw what happened running Ryan Fitzpatrick's 10 win team last year, a very eye-opening datapoint.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Disagree completely.

Mark Sanchez shined brightly during a 22 game stretch where we went 18-4, he led us on 5 brilliant 4th quarter comebacks to save our 11-5 2010 season, and of course he played bigtime in the playoffs, was arguably the best Jet on the field in two AFC Championship Games.  Say what you want about Mark Sanchez, he was the best playoff quarterback in team history.  The stats and the record support this.

Geno Smith may have been 'ruined' by the Jets GM/HC combo but he never showed any flashes, ever.  Comparing him to Mark Sanchez from a standpoint of lack-of-support is a joke. 

SAR I

Sanchez was good in both playoff runs which came as a surprise when compared to his awful play the rest of the time.  The team was so worried about his lack of ability that they tuned him pretty much into a hand-off machine for the running game.

Again, he played well in both playoff runs but he was a passenger (at best, and that is being generous) the rest of the time. 

Disagree completely.

Mark Sanchez shined brightly during a 22 game stretch where we went 18-4, he led us on 5 brilliant 4th quarter comebacks to save our 11-5 2010 season, and of course he played bigtime in the playoffs, was arguably the best Jet on the field in two AFC Championship Games.  Say what you want about Mark Sanchez, he was the best playoff quarterback in team history.  The stats, the record, and the demeanor support this.

Geno Smith may have been 'ruined' by the Jets GM/HC combo but he never showed any flashes, ever.  Comparing him to Mark Sanchez from a standpoint of lack-of-support is a joke, there is zero evidence to show that he would have been a money pressure player with a decent team around him.  We saw what happened running Ryan Fitzpatrick's 10 win team last year, a very eye-opening datapoint.

SAR I

Sar did you see him destroy Miami I would call that a flash.

20 minutes ago, Pac said:

More..  but less than you shed when you say something stupid and someone takes you to the woodshed.  MUCH less.

Now do me a favor and do that thing where you claim I'm an idiot for responding after you had responded to me.

You were an idiot before responding. The catty response just makes you look like a twatty idiot.

17 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Sanchez was good in both playoff runs which came as a surprise when compared to his awful play the rest of the time.  The team was so worried about his lack of ability that they tuned him pretty much into a hand-off machine for the running game.

Again, he played well in both playoff runs but he was a passenger (at best, and that is being generous) the rest of the time. 

I'm not going to argue the merits of Mark Sanchez' abilities.  That ship has sailed.

My point is that Sanchez flashed significantly and Smith never did in the 3 years each had in New York.  Therefore one might be able to use the excuse that the Jets stood in the way of Mark Sanchez' development, but one cannot make that argument for Geno Smith.  We've seen Geno Smith run Ryan Fitzpatrick's record-setting offense and it did nothing.

SAR I

When will people accept that sometimes player, no matter how much we like the, just don't develop. 

A HC can slow down a players arc but if that player doesn't develop, doesn't learn, it's on him.  No matter how defense minded Rex was he didn't teach Sanchez to throw the ball to the other team or to fumble.  Both at the most inopportune time.  He is what he is, sloppy with the ball.  No one is coached to do that, it was talked about day after day when he was here. 

27 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Sar did you see him destroy Miami I would call that a flash.

In a meaningless mail-it-in 2014 Week 17 game between the eliminated Jets and the eliminated Dolphins, Geno Smith had a nice day.

In a meaningful high-pressure 2015 Week 8 game between two surprising wildcard competitors, Geno Smith had an awful day, went three-and-out the entire first half, threw an INT and was sacked 3 times, and was behind 28-6 in the 3rd quarter before some garbage time let-them-score TD's.

Conclusion?

Against an eliminated team of sleepwalking Dolphins who wanted to get home for New Year's Eve, Geno Smith can be most effective.  Against a legitimate contender and surrounded by a record-setting offense, Geno Smith is brutal.  This "look at the Dolphins game!" narrative has got to stop.  Look at the Raiders game.  Look at how Mark Sanchez had him beat for the starting job in 2014.  Look at how Bryce Petty looks better in 2016. 

Geno Smith never was anything, not sure how any rational Jets fan can see it differently.  I used to mock Chad Pennington fans for the same reason, but at least that guy showed something, he won a few playoff games, he played decently in regular seasons.  Geno Smith?  Could be the worst 3-year quarterback the Jets have ever had, and that's saying something.

SAR I

19 minutes ago, JiF said:

He's starting game 4...not exactly a good indicator for Geno's future on the team.

I'm pretty sure he's bye bye.

I don't blame them if they want to do right by him and get him away from these lunatics.

Lets hope Fitz doesn't get hurt.  If he does these people are going to get that dose of Petty they've been craving.  And it will not be pretty.

21 hours ago, Jetster said:

Bowles can't stop the booing, Macc daddy didn't draft him, these guys know Geno is a negative strain on the franchise they don't need. Geno needed to come out SMOKING in preseason to excite Jet fans & get them off his back, but he looked like the old Geno & he plays to NOT MAKE MISTAKES now.

If any player in this league needs a new venue to start over its Geno. And maybe Kap would be accepted by Canada.

He looks so tentative that I doubt his ability to make even the most basic plays. If Fitz were to go down for an extended period, I would rather see Petty than Geno because Smith isn't going to do any better than Petty would and he has shown that in preseason. Experience iss his only redemption, but look at his body of work gaining that experience and it hasn't been good.

7 minutes ago, Pac said:

I don't blame them if they want to do right by him and get him away from these lunatics.

Lets hope Fitz doesn't get hurt.  If he does these people are going to get that dose of Petty they've been craving.  And it will not be pretty.

Yeah, I think it's pretty silly to have a back up with no experience but whatevs.  We're destined to 8-8 no matter what, so I'm pretty indifferent on things right now.  Just wished we would have treated the position different all together but here we are.  Just got to hope for the best. 

In a meaningless mail-it-in 2014 Week 17 game between the eliminated Jets and the eliminated Dolphins, Geno Smith had a nice day.

In a meaningful high-pressure 2015 Week 8 game between two surprising wildcard competitors, Geno Smith had an awful day, went three-and-out the entire first half, threw an INT and was sacked 3 times, and was behind 28-6 in the 3rd quarter before some garbage time let-them-score TD's.

Conclusion?

Against an eliminated team of sleepwalking Dolphins who wanted to get home for New Year's Eve, Geno Smith can be most effective.  Against a legitimate contender and surrounded by a record-setting offense, Geno Smith is brutal.  This "look at the Dolphins game!" narrative has got to stop.  Look at the Raiders game.  Look at how Mark Sanchez had him beat for the starting job in 2014.  Look at how Bryce Petty looks better in 2016. 

Geno Smith never was anything, not sure how any rational Jets fan can see it differently.  I used to mock Chad Pennington fans for the same reason, but at least that guy showed something, he won a few playoff games, he played decently in regular seasons.  Geno Smith?  Could be the worst 3-year quarterback the Jets have ever had, and that's saying something.

SAR I

Which just goes to show you that even when he shows something, the hate group blows it off as meaningless anyway.

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yeah, I think it's pretty silly to have a back up with no experience but whatevs.  We're destined to 8-8 no matter what, so I'm pretty indifferent on things right now.  Just wished we would have treated the position different all together but here we are.  Just got to hope for the best. 

Very silly to have backups with no experience. It's why a lot of NFL teams draft QBs with at least a few starts in the pros already.

3 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Very silly to have backups with no experience. It's why a lot of NFL teams draft QBs with at least a few starts in the pros already.

WHAT ????? NFL teams draft QB's with at least a few starts in the pros ??????? I thought we drafted from the colleges..... :)

25 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Which just goes to show you that even when he shows something, the hate group blows it off as meaningless anyway.

No, it goes to show you how you are trying so hard to create a use-case that supports your narrative that you're losing sight of the facts.

Geno Smith goes 4-12 with the same team that Ryan FItzpatrick took to 10-5 last year.  And if I'm wrong, if I'm being too negative, okay, Geno Smith might have been 2 games better.  That's 6-10.  Ryan Fitzpatrick, like many quality starting quarterbacks, can do some things that Geno Smith cannot.  He knows when a play is dead.  He knows when to scramble.  He can turn a loss into a last minute victory.  He can think like an offensive coordinator.  He can read a defense.  He can lead a group of men.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No, it goes to show you how you are trying so hard to create a use-case that supports your narrative that you're losing sight of the facts.

Geno Smith goes 4-12 with the same team that Ryan FItzpatrick took to 10-5 last year.  And if I'm wrong, if I'm being too negative, okay, Geno Smith might have been 2 games better.  That's 6-10.  Ryan Fitzpatrick, like many quality starting quarterbacks, can do some things that Geno Smith cannot.  He knows when a play is dead.  He knows when to scramble.  He can turn a loss into a last minute victory.  He can think like an offensive coordinator.  He can read a defense.  He can lead a group of men.

SAR I

But can he lead a team to the playoffs?  BTW...  the 2014 JETS had basically no receiving corps much of the year.  If I remember, Decker went down early, played hurt much of the year.  Geno still sucks but the 2015 team was much better than the 2014 team on offense.

51 minutes ago, Pac said:

Well, let me take back what I said.  I didnt realize that other thread was an IF story about him starting for ****s sake. 

That's how bad this topic has gotten around here.  Cimini posted an IF, Geno plays scenario and we started a thread about it.

///projectile vomits

53 minutes ago, Pac said:

It isn't doing right by him it is trying to salvage at least scrap value for a sunk investment.

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

But can he lead a team to the playoffs?  BTW...  the 2014 JETS had basically no receiving corps much of the year.  If I remember, Decker went down early, played hurt much of the year.  Geno still sucks but the 2015 team was much better than the 2014 team on offense.

Geno looked better at the beginning of year two and has regressed. It's like the game sped up for him. 

It took me awhile but I have realized that people can change but only for the worse. 

Once a QB stops making progress I'm ready to move on to the next prospect. In my life I've never seen a QB regress, then progress again. 

Just now, NYs Stepchild said:

Geno looked better at the beginning of year two and has regressed. It's like the game sped up for him. 

It took me awhile but I have realized that people can change but only for the worse. 

Once a QB stops making progress I'm ready to move on to the next prospect. In my life I've never seen a QB regress, then progress again. 

Does that mean Andrew Luck is toast?

4 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

oy vei.

He's played 1 game in 2 years and if Marshall holds on to the ball he would have led them back from a 20 pt deficit.  

Where are these games that's he's playing where people are seeing him regress?  He's never had the gig with a legit NFL offense surrounding him.

53 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Hole dug, Ostrich neck out, head lowered ... Bury please!

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

oy vei.

He's played 1 game in 2 years and if Marshall holds on to the ball he would have led them back from a 20 pt deficit.  

Where are these games that's he's playing where people are seeing him regress?  He's never had the gig with a legit NFL offense surrounding him.

what game are you referring to?

28 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

No, I don't think Ryan Fitzpatrick can lead us to the playoffs, especially in a year like this with our daunting schedule, reliance on rookies, and injury-prone free agents.  I'm expecting 7-9 or 8-8.

And while we can debate Geno Smith's merit as a backup, I think it's safe to say no NFL team would consider him as their starter and it's our next starter that means everything to the franchise.  Geno has to go if only to open up the #2 reps for Petty (learns Jets offense) and the #3 for Hackenberg (learns cross-section of NFL offenses as scout leader).  Otherwise, we go 7-9 and a year from today we have no Fitzpatrick, no Smith, and huge question marks in Petty and Hackenberg.  Eventually you have to have faith in a young QB, next year is that year, let's get 'em both ready and stop f'ing around with Geno Smith already.

SAR I

1 hour ago, JiF said:

what was your prediction for last season's record.  just wondering.

Archived