Geno Smith Trade Speculation Rumors: MERGED

AFJF

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like the media has any idea how to be a GM or even better - a good GM.

Here's a newsflash. No one likes Geno (probably including Geno himself). Coaches don't like him. Players either. So why is he on the team? Cause he still gives us the best chance to win in the event of a Fitz injury. Until that changes, Petty's more likely to be traded than Geno.

AND Since the "future" (if you're bold enough to call him that) is redshirting this year, then the #2's job is to win games now. plain and simple. If you think Petty is more ready to win games now than Geno - then maybe it's time to remind yourself that you watch football on a TV and Geno's still on the team. 

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I'd take a conditional 7th right now and be very happy.  I'm not a Geno hater and would cheer like hell for him if he was the starter but it's a business and he's not going to be here next year, so let's try to get what we can 

We can get a 5th round comp for him the next year. I'd take my chances n keep him. 

25 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

The 1st 10 times it might have been funny. Now you just like an annoying gnat. 

Good deal .. My purpose of allowing you and your fellow Geno's Myhero's brethren to see your own reflections in the mirror is working exactly as planned then!

thanks for the awesome news!

I would rather keep the four. Not ideal but we've done it before. He's not ready yet but throwing Petty away at this time doesn't really seem like the smart move and we're not getting rid of Hack obviously.

We have a unique situation where we have two young project guys who we used quality draft picks on the past two seasons and Geno who is the most capable at this time. It is what it is. Sometimes you keep an extra WR. Sometimes its a CB. This year we use spot 53 for a QB.

Hey... maybe Petty can play ST :D

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

If geno is worth a 7thh rounder, I guess we could only get a 6th rounder at best for Fitzpatrick then ? Ha.. 

I see what you're doing there but nobody wanted him for 6 months as a FA. 

41 minutes ago, j4jets said:

I see what you're doing there but nobody wanted him for 6 months as a FA. 

I know.. Actually geno probably has more trade value than Fitzpatrick.. Like you said ANYONE could have picked him up without giving away a pick but they chose not to.. Jets should wait carry 4 for now, more qbs will get hurt few weeks into season and they will be desperate.

4 hours ago, j4jets said:

6th in 2017 or a 5th in 2018. Does it really matter?

Plus the 54th best player on the current roster getting to stay. 

I think people are too hung up on the experience factor with Geno. This is not a Super Bowl team. This is a pretty good team that's still in transition. I hate the idea of carrying four QBs. I think it's useless. I unload Geno because he's not going to be on the team next year anyway, and promote Petty to #2 because he will still be under contract. Giving Petty #2 reps for a year would be extremely beneficial for his development, as opposed to splitting scout team reps with the #4 QB. Losing Geno gives both project QBs more work during the season, which they both need. 

Sure, let's win games this year, but they need to keep an eye on the future. I'd rather hold onto an extra young WR and progress the kids at QB. 

I keep going back to when Geno was drafted.  Teams do their research on players.  Geno's demeanor on draft day and the comments that he would not show up on day 2 of the draft really just gave him a bad image of him altogether.  Then came the questions about his leadership skills, going to watch a movie and missing practice in S.D., arguments with fans, and of course can't come to an agreement with a back up LB over a $600 plane ticket.  The old saying goes "Actions speak louder than words."  Geno's actions have not warranted him being a leader on the field or off it.  With Bowles not playing him in the last game, I believe they do not want him to get injured and will cut or trade him.

If we can get compensated for him, then get it.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

If these sources are correct no way you trade a veteran backup/insurance policy for a conditional 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Conditional 7th is better than cutting him for nothing or getting nothing for him in the offseason. 

If Fitz goes down, it's a lost season anyway, so it's bed to turn the keys over to Petty and see what he has. Geno is done here. No good can come from him and his sour mug on the sidelines each and every week. 

Dialogue could sound like this:

Mike Maccagnan to Rick Spielman: "Good morning Rick, I'm so sorry about the gruesome injury to Teddy.  All of here at Florham Park wish him and the Vikings the best for his full recovery and return to the field in 2017."

Spielman to Mac:  "Thank you very much Mike.  It sure is a bitter pill to swallow two weeks from opening day."

Mac to Spielman: We are debating carrying four quarterbacks this season, but that means cutting some very promising WR prospects.  We'd be willing to do a trade for veteran Geno Smith.  Do the Vikings have any interest?  Make us an offer."

Spielman "Let us look at some film on Smith and we'll get back to you shortly."

20 minutes later:

Spielman: We just watched tape of Smith. Let us put it this way.....

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Dialogue could sound like this:

Mike Maccagnan to Rick Spielman: "Good morning Rick, I'm so sorry about the gruesome injury to Teddy.  All of here at Florham Park wish him and the Vikings the best for his full recovery and return to the field in 2017."

Spielman to Mac:  "Thank you very much Mike.  It sure is a bitter pill to swallow two weeks from opening day."

Mac to Spielman: We are debating carrying four quarterbacks this season, but that means cutting some very promising WR prospects.  We'd be willing to do a trade for veteran Geno Smith.  Do the Vikings have any interest?  Make us an offer."

Spielman "Let us look at some film on Smith and we'll get back to you shortly."

20 minutes later:

Spielman: We just watched tape of Smith. Let us put it this way.....

If Macc could get a "good day, sir" for Geno, that could easily be the basis of a deal.  

5 minutes ago, Better2bgreenthanblue said:

Macc and his scouts have shown us the value they can create with a 6th or 7th round pick. Gotta admit it's tempting....

they also have shown they can get value from no picks..

see robbie and jalen this year UDFA

in Mac we trust...

8 hours ago, EM31 said:

So how did Geno do in terms of making the starting QB decision hard for Bowles?

Was this decision not made at the end of last season when Bowles stated who was going to be the starting QB depending on who was on the team ?

While he isn't a very good QB Geno is needed on this team.  If Fitz breaks his wrist because he didn't slide in week 6 would we really want Petty or Hackenberg who have never taken a NFL snap?  

Geno isn't the brightest crayon in the box but he can run with the ball and he has played in NFL games before.  

17 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Was this decision not made at the end of last season when Bowles stated who was going to be the starting QB depending on who was on the team ?

Actually I was joking but the narrative from Geno fans was somewhat about how Geno's improvement would be making the decision harder for the coaching staff during camp.  The big step forward which always and forever seems to be just over the horizon with him.

Really the Jets management knows what they are going to do on this. I've seen no rumors of them shopping Geno only of teams calling them and Mac doing his due diligence. So either Mac knows he wants to keep or cut Geno. They only played him in two series the other night. A 7th round conditional pick (they could trade him and the trading partner could still cut him before the season starts and not have to give up the pick) is a not big deal but if they plan on keeping Petty over Geno then it's better than nothing. 

Archived