Geno Smith Trade Speculation Rumors: MERGED

AFJF

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, slats said:

Doesn't change the fact that they did sign Fitz, and Geno makes the most sense as the odd man out. The current regime added the three other QBs. They knew Petty was a project, and cutting him loose after what looks like a lot of improvement since last year would be foolish. Would he be as effective as Geno if called to action? I don't honestly know. But I also put less emphasis on that than I do the future of the team's QB position - which I do know does not include Geno. 

You also have to recognize that he seems to be something of a pariah in the locker room, and hated by a large -probably the majority- of fans. Pro football is a business, and it's not good for business to trot out a QB your fans hate. 

If I thought the Jets could slip Petty onto the practice squad, I might think differently, but he's shown enough improvement to take over the backup role on what is probably a non-playoff team, anyway. 

Outside of the first sentence which I didn't copy/paste  ... Couldn't have said this any better!

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Geno's yardage in Oakland was in garbage time, we were down 28-6 when Oakland went prevent and Geno had easy throws.

And how can you not include last season?  Is there not a better datapoint of Geno's 2016 potential than seeing him in live action with a record-setting offense in 2015?  The narrative is that he had terrible weapons in 2014 and would have put up great numbers in 2015 with the luxury of the weapons that Fitzpatrick had.  Well, he had them.  It happened.  You saw it.  It wasn't good.

SAR I

You are not allowed to make well thought out, reasonable, logic driven points in conversations with the Geno's Myhero's gang!

1 hour ago, slats said:

Maybe. I've always understood resigning Fitz as the safe option, I just opposed that safe option.

That's fair.

For example, I've always understood keeping Geno as the #2 for 2016 is the safe option.  I just oppose that safe option. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

I'd've rather signed a Hoyer or McCown in the offseason for a fraction of Fitz' contract, and let that guy battle Geno for the starting job - winner starts, loser gets cut

Just as I'd rather let Petty and Geno fight it out for the ~#2 job, which they did, and the winner stays, the loser gets cut.  Geno lost (IMO).

1 hour ago, slats said:

Now that they did decide to resign Fitz and name him the starter, Geno becomes the odd man out. If they can get something for him in the process, awesome!

Agreed!

1 hour ago, Pac said:

a swing and a miss..  thanks for the nod tho!

And to think guys would be talking about our starting QB fumbling in the redzone and e everyone's new #2 tossing TD's in the form of a pick 6 last game. 

Instead we have more threads on the first page about Geno and even Sanchez rather than the "relevant" QB's. 

I'm starting to conclude that Geno and Sanchez are underground favorites and guys are afraid to admit it! ;)

Conditional 7th is better than cutting him for nothing or getting nothing for him in the offseason. 

If Fitz goes down, it's a lost season anyway, so it's bed to turn the keys over to Petty and see what he has. Geno is done here. No good can come from him and his sour mug on the sidelines each and every week. 

You logic is sound I just don't see it for that cost. A 7th is almost worthless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, slats said:

Plus the 54th best player on the current roster getting to stay. 

I think people are too hung up on the experience factor with Geno. This is not a Super Bowl team. This is a pretty good team that's still in transition. I hate the idea of carrying four QBs. I think it's useless. I unload Geno because he's not going to be on the team next year anyway, and promote Petty to #2 because he will still be under contract. Giving Petty #2 reps for a year would be extremely beneficial for his development, as opposed to splitting scout team reps with the #4 QB. Losing Geno gives both project QBs more work during the season, which they both need. 

Partially agree there. We are a playoff team this year and that is why I don't want Geno to be gone. Petty can still learn by just being on the sidelines and going through another NFL season. Rookie QBs come in and have good seasons every now and then. You don't have to be a backup to grow. When Fitz goes down (not if, but when), Petty won't be ready to win games. 

5 hours ago, slats said:

Sure, let's win games this year, but they need to keep an eye on the future. I'd rather hold onto an extra young WR and progress the kids at QB. 

Could be the difference of reaching the playoffs or missing it by a game. Keeping 4 QBs is also considered keeping an eye on the future. The WR depth can be Enunwa and the three rookies (6 total), with Devin on PUP. I'd rather cut a TE (useless one at that) before cutting QB to 3. 

13 hours ago, Paradis said:

Like the media has any idea how to be a GM or even better - a good GM.

Here's a newsflash. No one likes Geno (probably including Geno himself). Coaches don't like him. Players either. So why is he on the team? Cause he still gives us the best chance to win in the event of a Fitz injury. Until that changes, Petty's more likely to be traded than Geno.

AND Since the "future" (if you're bold enough to call him that) is redshirting this year, then the #2's job is to win games now. plain and simple. If you think Petty is more ready to win games now than Geno - then maybe it's time to remind yourself that you watch football on a TV and Geno's still on the team. 

Well who gave you the right to be reasoned, well thought out and in fact professional.

At this point the Jets owe it to Geno to find him a new team.

He has been smacked in the mouth (no pun intended) by this Organization over and over, almost since being drafted.

Got stuck with a bum of a HC coach who cared little for offensive players

Had to deal with repeated offensive coordinators and systems.

Got thrown under center way before he was properly developed, by an idiot head coach.

Got stuck playing with one of the worst offensive teams ever assembled in football.

An finally, he has had to deal with a fan base that has chosen to hate him Beyond the limits of reason.

An thru it all and for the most part he has been a good soldier and company man.

No,it's time to let Geno get away from the mess that has become the New York Jets for him. Trade him if possible,or just release him other wise. Believe me, within a day he will be signed by another team who will be thrilled to have him.

As my dad was so fond of saying, "one man's trash, is another man's treasure".

The Jets owe Geno and it's time they allow him the chance to rebuild his career.

Wait a minute. He was gifted the starting job two consecutive years after sham competitions and was on his way to a third until he challenged a roided up thug turd over $600. He is probably one of, if not the, worst QB in modern NFL history to make it to 30 games as a starter, only because the jets have been putrid at managing the QB position. Jets don't owe his squat.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Just got the notification for the late neg rep. Does it bother you that I'm making people laugh at you?

I think it does. You'd be nothing without your transparent insecurity.

In a way I admire your child like imagination where you're always right and you think everyone loves you.

Keep on trucking kiddo.  You're as cool and funny as you think you are!

21 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

And to think guys would be talking about our starting QB fumbling in the redzone and e everyone's new #2 tossing TD's in the form of a pick 6 last game. 

Instead we have more threads on the first page about Geno and even Sanchez rather than the "relevant" QB's. 

I'm starting to conclude that Geno and Sanchez are underground favorites and guys are afraid to admit it! ;)

I ignored this phenomenon as long as I could but now I'm really trying to figure out what's going on here.  I've never seen anything like it.  Every single Geno play is carefully dissected to try and find the "evidence" that proves he's the worst - and stupidest - QB of all time.  It's like a never ending wave of gnats that no amount of swatting will get rid of.

9 minutes ago, Pac said:

I ignored this phenomenon as long as I could but now I'm really trying to figure out what's going on here.  I've never seen anything like it.  Every single Geno play is carefully dissected to try and find the "evidence" that proves he's the worst - and stupidest - QB of all time.  It's like a never ending wave of gnats that no amount of swatting will get rid of.

Hahahahahaahaa ... Geno's Myhero's with the gnat rebirth from their "sleeping larva" stage ... Too f*cking funny!!!!!

that ignore dude , whatever his name was, will be so proud!!!

9 minutes ago, Pac said:

honestly, people here would stop analyzing geno if other posters would stop defending him.  this isn't about fitz vs. geno.  it's about whether geno has shown enough improvement or passes the 'eye test' to give jet fans hope he can emerge as even a quality starter.  based on the writing here, most of 'us' don't see it happening with geno, on the jets or ever.  we watch young qbs on other teams who show way more improvement and frankly, more talent than geno.  we see qbs who are taller with stronger arms and better pocket awareness.  then you watch guys like petty and hackenberg, and they look like they have more upside.  it's not about what someone can do this year.  we're projecting where all these qbs will be in a few years, and i'd put geno behind petty and hack in terms of where they'll be by 2018.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

honestly, people here would stop analyzing geno if other posters would stop defending him.  this isn't about fitz vs. geno.  it's about whether geno has shown enough improvement or passes the 'eye test' to give jet fans hope he can emerge as even a quality starter.  based on the writing here, most of 'us' don't see it happening with geno, on the jets or ever.  we watch young qbs on other teams who show way more improvement and frankly, more talent than geno.  we see qbs who are taller with stronger arms and better pocket awareness.  then you watch guys like petty and hackenberg, and they look like they have more upside.  it's not about what someone can do this year.  we're projecting where all these qbs will be in a few years, and i'd put geno behind petty and hack in terms of where they'll be by 2018.

This perfectly reasonable position is lost on Smith Fans.  It's what makes them Smith Fans.

11 minutes ago, Pac said:

And the same small group of Geno defenders are seeking ever more desperately to find excuses for why bad QB performances and bad outcomes are the fault of anyone and everyone on the planet except for the QB in question.  At what point do you admit you were tragically and massively wrong and let it go?

We don't like him because he is bad.  He is not bad because we don't like him.

And I hop in and out of these arguments.  Often for weeks or months at a time.  Geno defenders attend every single page of every single thread... Which group of posters I wonder is the more obsessed here?

Playing well generally gets rid of the haters. Well unless you are fitz. The fitz hate is infinitely more ridiculous than the Geno hate.

7 minutes ago, ljr said:

Hahahahahaahaa ... Geno's Myhero's with the gnat rebirth from their "sleeping larva" stage ... Too f*cking funny!!!!!

that ignore dude , whatever his name was, will be so proud!!!

I actually have successfully resisted the urge to unblock any of 80's posts the last few days.  Site has been infinitely more readable.  

3 minutes ago, EM31 said:

And the same small group of Geno defenders are seeking ever more desperately to find excuses for why bad QB performances and bad outcomes are the fault of anyone and everyone on the planet except for the QB in question.  At what point do you admit you were tragically and massively wrong and let it go?

We don't like him because he is bad.  He is not bad because we don't like him.

Imagine Geno with Penningtons brain?? Geno can take a hit(Not counting IK) has a strong arm and can run..Who knows maybe down the line on another team the light comes on..B)

There a whole lot of delusional fans who see things their way.  People should admit that instead of trying to blame the other group over who brought Geno up.  There are far to many posters who feel the need to add Geno's name into a post for an apparent laugh.  I had my fill of Geno talk, it's done, I'd like to think it's time to move on, he's done here.  The ardent Geno haters can't do the same, they'd have nothing to talk about, 

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the first line is absurd.  I went a few months without saying a word yet constantly read how awful Geno was.  there were a very small handful of people who tried to logically defend Geno and they were met with this:

swarm.jpg

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

There a whole lot of delusional fans who see things their way.  People should admit that instead of trying to blame the other group over who brought Geno up.  There are far to many posters who feel the need to add Geno's name into a post for an apparent laugh.  I had my fill of Geno talk, it's done, I'd like to think it's time to move on, he's done here.  The ardent Geno haters can't do the same, they'd have nothing to talk about, 

And this is not a valid topic of conversation as we are about to decide whether or not to carry four or three QBs on the team?

Really?

Why don't you just go ahead an publish a list of permitted topics of conversation in your mind.

11 minutes ago, EM31 said:

And I hop in and out of these arguments.  Often for weeks or months at a time.  Geno defenders attend every single page of every single thread... Which group of posters I wonder is the more obsessed here?

Geno defenders are the ones that cultivated this daily nonsense, now they are playing victim. Freud would have a field day with some of these guys.

Just now, EM31 said:

And this is not a valid topic of conversation as we are about to decide whether or not to carry four or three QBs on the team?

Really?

Why don't you just go ahead an publish a list of permitted topics of conversation in your mind.

Well which is it?  Valid or Geno lovers starting Geno posts and threads.  Thought that's what I read! 

Because anyone paying any attention should have been able to get what I wrote.  As well as nowhere did I come close to saying the topic should be off base, just don't be the ass who insists others are doing it.   Or being so quick to start another argument 

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Geno defenders are the ones that cultivated this daily nonsense, now they are playing victim. Freud would have a field day with some of these guys.

This long since ceased to be about Geno in my opinion.  It is 100% about some people not wanting to appear to be massively wrong here in public.

7 minutes ago, Pac said:

the first line is absurd.  I went a few months without saying a word yet constantly read how awful Geno was.  there were a very small handful of people who tried to logically defend Geno and they were met with this:

swarm.jpg

There were ZERO logical arguments in favor of Geno.

Hypotheticals being treated as facts are not logic. That said, I've played mafia with you enough to know that you have zero grasp of basic logic. So, there's that.

Archived