Geno Smith Trade Speculation Rumors: MERGED

AFJF

Bottom line is the Jets have 3 future QB's that are all works in progress. The thing that will set each apart is the classroom, something we are not privileged to. Just my opinion but from their work there Mac and Bowles will make their decision on who sticks. 

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Bottom line is the Jets have 3 future QB's that are all works in progress. The thing that will set each apart is the classroom, something we are not privileged to. Just my opinion but from their work there Mac and Bowles will make their decision on who sticks. 

What do you think will happen?

It's not such a stretch for a second year player and a 4th rounder to be a backup. He should be ready and to be honest while Geno has the experience mostly he didn't play well. If Petty gets 29 starts you'd think he would improve and do at least as well. He probably isn't going to get that in his entire career. Rumor is that there is more interest in Geno than in Petty. If true and we can get compensation I keep Petty and trade Smith. 

35 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

I'm just wondering when we can label a guy as a bust whose whole career consists of a decent game against a mediocre team's 3rd stringers. 

When he goes 11-18 as a starter, has been here for 3+ years and still makes bone-headed plays/mistakes.

3 hours ago, j4jets said:

Its always wise to set the trade standards with the Marshall trade, cuz we all know Jets really had to persuade the Bears to trade him away. Geno can easily fetch a 5th. If not, Jets can simply keep him and take the compensatory pick for him.

Having said that, trading away Geno would be the single most idiotic move Mac would make. Why? Because of Fitz. First, his playing style is what I call "head first". He's going to get injured. Its just a matter of time. He's had two seasons where he played all 16 games (2011 n 2012) in 11 years. If Fitz goes down, you really want to roll with Petty, who hasn't passed once in his career against NFL starters? That too when you have a playoff caliber team around? Second, Fitz has looked every bit a journeyman he has been this preseason. 

Geno may not hold a lot of value outside of NY, but he holds plenty of value for the Jets due to circumstances around him. He's not going anywhere. Petty isn't ready to be the #2 this year. Hack is right where we expected him to be, #4. 

Wow!  You said it best.  I bow to thee.

Typical Jets...hanging on to a known sub-optimal QB because of his 'experience' because he has...well, experience!  Don't care if the experience is good or bad, it's experience damn you!  Making progress? What??? It's experience I tell you..it's valuable!

Every QB in the NFL at one point in their career has thrown ZERO regular season passes...Brady had thrown like 3 passes before Mo Lewis nearly killed Bledsoe.  How could he possibly have been Bellichick's BU QB with NO EXPERIENCE?

It all depends on what Bowles and Mac believe about Petty's potential going forward...Geno has a track record which is being considered I am certain.  But the 'he has no experience' stuff is getting old.

2 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

So, next year?

Not unless the Jets play 29 games in 2016.

And I am more than willing to reassess Petty's progress after next season if in fact Fitz goes down and Petty struggles.  That's what reasonable people do.  But when you know Geno isn't the answer (and signing Fitz for one season tells you all you need to know about their opinion of Geno), sticking with the 'experience' is asinine.

36 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It's not such a stretch for a second year player and a 4th rounder to be a backup. He should be ready and to be honest while Geno has the experience mostly he didn't play well. If Petty gets 29 starts you'd think he would improve and do at least as well. He probably isn't going to get that in his entire career. Rumor is that there is more interest in Geno than in Petty. If true and we can get compensation I keep Petty and trade Smith. 

So Bowles already had Petty as the back up during real games so he trusts him. 

So please post anything that has a rumor that Geno has had more interest from other teams.  Please show just one tweet or link to one story. Just one 

7 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

So Bowles already had Petty as the back up during real games so he trusts him. 

So please post anything that has a rumor that Geno has had more interest from other teams.  Please show just one tweet or link to one story. Just one 

Ok so here's the article I read from NBC that said more interest in Geno than in Petty. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/29/report-jets-have-fielded-calls-about-trading-geno-smith-bryce-petty/

5 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Not unless the Jets play 29 games in 2016.

And I am more than willing to reassess Petty's progress after next season if in fact Fitz goes down and Petty struggles.  That's what reasonable people do.  But when you know Geno isn't the answer (and signing Fitz for one season tells you all you need to know about their opinion of Geno), sticking with the 'experience' is asinine.

That's your opinion. Fine. To me, the idea that you can accurately compare two players when one of them hasn't even played in an NFL game yet is ridiculous. Petty literally has one decent game against the Redskins 3rd stringers on his resume, and somehow that makes him a better option at backup than Geno.

14 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Ok so here's the article I read from NBC that said more interest in Geno than in Petty. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/29/report-jets-have-fielded-calls-about-trading-geno-smith-bryce-petty/

Well if a team, like Dallas is looking for a QB who's played NFL football this would make sense.  Why would Dallas want an unproven QB like Petty to be their backup in the event that Dak doesn't pan out? 

Just now, Kevin L said:

That's your opinion. Fine. To me, the idea that you can accurately compare two players when one of them hasn't even played in an NFL game yet is ridiculous. Petty literally has one decent game against the Redskins 3rd stringers on his resume, and somehow that makes him a better option at backup than Geno.

What is the alternative?

Few QB's get to 'prove themselves' in actual NFL starting experience before they, well, get the chance.  If Sanchez didn't get injured in the RexGate Snoopy bowl we might all be sitting here wondering if Smith was a viable NFL starting QB since he didn't beat out Sanchez in the PS in 2013.  All the experience Smith had as an NFL starter was largely because of circumstances, not performance.

I feel sorry in many ways for Geno's stay here, because he didn't get a great upbringing or a chance to develop like Petty I suppose...but it is what it is.  Life's like that sometimes, the NFL is rife with stories like Geno's...poor circumstances etc.

Other than keeping Geno and giving him 2nd team snaps might hinder Petty's development, I have no issue keeping 4 QB's if that is what happens; though I'm not sure why you would want to do that. I don't hate Geno, just have seen all I need to see at this point and don't see him in our future so what is the purpose?  Might he be marginally better than Petty right now as a backup?  It's arguable I agree.  It's just I don't think it's that much better to justify keeping him.  My opinion is all I'm putting out there.

When you couple that with the fact that Geno is gone at the end of the season, keeping him in and of it's own self is a dubious decision and if the cost is dropping Petty who would be here next year after showing progress, well, that is shortsighted IMO.

Guess we will see.

2 hours ago, Jetscode1 said:

Great thread.  Personally, I think the asking price starts in the third round.  Maybe a fourth that bumps to a third if he exceeds expectations.

If that comes true I'll get down on my knees for Big Mac !

36 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Hey, I asked for one and you have me one.  Nice job.   (Not being sarcastic)

Pff quoting Manish is not something that I would put a lot is stock in but it was a link 

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

What about Geno for Tom Savage? Houston gets better backup and we get amother potential good QB. We'd still be in the 4 QB situation but we cold gave a terrific competition next year.

Lol

58 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

What is the alternative?

Few QB's get to 'prove themselves' in actual NFL starting experience before they, well, get the chance.  If Sanchez didn't get injured in the RexGate Snoopy bowl we might all be sitting here wondering if Smith was a viable NFL starting QB since he didn't beat out Sanchez in the PS in 2013.  All the experience Smith had as an NFL starter was largely because of circumstances, not performance.

Petty hasn't proven anything. He was on the brink of being cut if it wasn't for his last 2-3 practices n a half against Redskins 3rd stringers. If Geno is so bad, Petty is worse (for now). Like it or not. For what it's worth, Geno has played well in his last 6-7 NFL games. 

I feel sorry in many ways for Geno's stay here, because he didn't get a great upbringing or a chance to develop like Petty I suppose...but it is what it is.  Life's like that sometimes, the NFL is rife with stories like Geno's...poor circumstances etc.

Agreed, but like I said, Petty is far from being ready right now.

Other than keeping Geno and giving him 2nd team snaps might hinder Petty's development, I have no issue keeping 4 QB's if that is what happens; though I'm not sure why you would want to do that. I don't hate Geno, just have seen all I need to see at this point and don't see him in our future so what is the purpose?  Might he be marginally better than Petty right now as a backup?  It's arguable I agree.  It's just I don't think it's that much better to justify keeping him.  My opinion is all I'm putting out there.

Strongly disagree. If Petty was ready to step in incase if an (imminent) injury to Fitz, Geno would've been long gone  

When you couple that with the fact that Geno is gone at the end of the season, keeping him in and of it's own self is a dubious decision and if the cost is dropping Petty who would be here next year after showing progress, well, that is shortsighted IMO.

Guess we will see.

Petty is not ready to start an NFL game. Jets backup WILL get a game or more to start this year. Geno gives them a much better chance at winning that game(s). It could be the difference between an 8-8 season or a 10-6 season. He won 8 games his rookie season with Holmes n Hills as his primary targets. He can win more than 8 with Decker n Marshall. Enough said. 

Geno Smith has reached the point of no return with the lunatic fringe too dumb to comprehend the consequences of its actions. Some folks just don’t get it.

We’re not here to throw a pity party for the Jets quarterback, but it’s baffling how some of Woody Johnson’s paying customers infused MetLife Stadium with a wave of negative energy on Saturday night. Way to support the team.

Smith was booed before he took a single snap in the Jets’ preseason loss to the Giants, prompting clear-thinking people to wonder: What the hell is going on here?

It was embarrassing for a segment of the fan base that sometimes behaves like buffoons. What exactly is the motivation behind expressing this discontent? Smith hadn’t made a single mistake in the game. He simply came in with 2:28 left in the first half, BECAUSE HE’S THE NO. 2 QUARTERBACK ON THE TEAM.

That’s part of his job description: relieve the starter in the third preseason game.

The majority of Jets fans are reasonable people most of the time. This pathetic display of chiding one of their own without provocation was not one of those times.

For all the talk about the big bad media in this market, the fans sometimes do themselves no favors. The next time a free agent signs elsewhere (with the money being equal), the crazies in the stands might want to point fingers at themselves. Some players don’t want or need the headache of having their fans turn on them without justification.

Geno Smith has to deal with the boo-birds before even throwing a pass vs. the Giants.

Geno Smith has to deal with the boo-birds before even throwing a pass vs. the Giants.

(Rich Barnes/Getty Images)

Smith has now entered the Sanchez Zone, that frightening place where he can do no right in the eyes of an angry mob. Remember when those clowns booed Mark Sanchez after he threw an interception in an intrasquad game in training camp?

Please spare me the tired ol’ I-paid-my-hard-earned-money-for-these-tickets-so-I-can-boo-anyone routine. If a player makes a mistake, go ahead and boo to your heart’s content. Otherwise, zip it.

Smith, playing on the final year of his rookie contract, might not be part of the Jets’ future, but he is a relatively important part of their present. The organization is encouraged by the strides that Bryce Petty has made this summer, but there’s a belief that he isn’t ready yet to be the No. 2 quarterback for this win-now team.

If Ryan Fitzpatrick missed a few games, the belief is that Smith would be able to hold down the fort in the short term. Would Petty be able to win one or two games if Fitzpatrick were out? One or two wins might be the difference between making or missing the playoffs. Smith has real value.

Smith is viewed in a much more favorable light around the league than he is by the green-and-white diehards, who seem hell bent on getting him out of town before the Sept. 11 season opener.

There is soft interest around the league in Smith. The Jets have fielded inquiries from teams monitoring their surplus at several positions, including quarterback. It’s a routine part of the process before final cuts next week.

Geno Smith has value to the Jets and doesn't deserve to get booed by the home fans.

Geno Smith has value to the Jets and doesn't deserve to get booed by the home fans.

(Corey Sipkin/New York Daily News)

Fitzpatrick and rookie Christian Hackenberg obviously aren’t going anywhere, so it’s safe to conclude that teams are inquiring about Smith, and perhaps to a lesser degree, Petty.

It’s not as if Mike Maccagnan’s phone is blowing up with teams clamoring for Smith, but there is intrigue across the league about how the Jets will handle the logjam at the most pivotal position in the sport. The Jets haven’t actively shopped Smith, but it would be silly not to consider all their options.

If a team offered a fourth-round pick for Smith, for example, Maccagnan would be a fool not to make the deal. It doesn’t make sense, however, to ship him off for a conditional sixth- or seventh-rounder.

The vitriol from a faction of the fan base is baffling. Smith isn’t Namath. We get it. He’s only 17-for-32 for 140 yards, 1 TD and I INT this preseason, but what has he actually done to engender this level of hatred?

He hasn’t publicly whined about being Fitzpatrick’s backup.

Is he bitter? Probably. Does he regret the locker room incident that cost him his starting job last year and altered the course of his career?Geno Smith

Obviously.

Has he been a locker room cancer since The Punch? Absolutely not.

He staged a one-week media boycott in camp due to his displeasure over one headline. Whoopty-doo. Who cares? I can’t speak for the rest of the scribes, but I know I’m over it.

Smith is the best second option for this season. He is an asset.

The lunatics need to keep their mouths shut.  

During Monday's debut of Keith Olbermann's new weeknight program on the ESPN2 sports channel -- unsurprisingly called Olbermann -- it took him only 48 seconds to stray from sports reporting into his former role as political commentator while slamming a reporter with the New York Daily News for “making up” a story on whether New York Jets coach Rex Ryan would be fired.

“Reporting is dead; long live making something out of nothing,” the leftist former host of programs on MSNBC and the Current TV channel declared. A few minutes earlier, Olbermann stated that New Jersey governor Chris Christie had “signed in” on the controversy, and even though the host had promised “the show wouldn't be about politics,” he broke his word because “I agree with the governor.”

With a sarcastic tone and the image of a tombstone noting “REPORTING DIED 2013,” Olbermann said: “If you can instigate controversyif you can sell just a few more newspapers to a world that no longer wants them, all your sins will be forgiven, especially the sin of having just contradicted yourself in that newspaper.”

The altercation began when the Jets were trailing the New York Giants 15-14 in the fourth quarter of a pre-season game on Saturday night. Ryan sent in quarterback candidate Mark Sanchez to try and win the contest. Unfortunately, Sanchez staggered off the field a few minutes later after suffering a serious shoulder injury.

As he has done for many years, Olbermann sarcastically declared that the injury was caused by the Giants breaking through “the porous Jets line made up of free agents, bad players, and players who should not be in the NFL. You know, guys as good as the Jets starters.”

Nevertheless, the Jets defeated the Giants with a 24-21 overtime score, a fact the host omitted.

“I don't like Rex Ryan,” he then admitted. However, “he must be wondering, even in this time of media madness where controversy has replaced reporting, just what on God's 'gangrene' Earth is happening to him.”

“Long before that game was over, long before there was a clue about Sanchez's health, one of the beat writers covering the Jets,” Manish Mehta, tweeted this message:

Rex Ryan should be fired tonight for signing off on one of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen.

“The New York media has, rightly or wrongly, been after Mark Sanchez for the last year like stalkers,” Olbermann stated. “No fate was too grisly for Sanchez so long as it meant somebody else would be the Jets' QB, and there would be a headline."

But in their desire to create a headline, what newspapers' sports departments now laughingly call “getting ahead of a story,” makes for awfully strange bedfellows. Sanchez is suddenly the Boy King, and the New York media is the Prince Regent.

On Sunday morning, the same writer who had tweeted that Ryan should be fired had crafted his headline: “Rex Ryan's decision to play Mark Sanchez in fourth could cost him job” and tweeted:

Rex Ryan took ineptitude and incompetence to new heights with a boneheaded decision Saturday night that ultimately could seal his fate as the head coat of the Jets.

“Says who?” Olbermann asked. “Who's the source? Who says it could cost him his job? Who says it could seal his fate? You got a source? Anybody?”

Unless you've got a general manager or an owner, or somebody, anybody you could hang the label “source” onto, you're just making it up. The source for the New York Daily News article was the New York Daily News tweet.

“Reporting is dead, long live making something out of nothing,” the host said before noting that five days earlier, Mehta expressed support for the other candidate for the team's quarterback position: “If Geno Smith can stay interception free, QB will secure NY Jets starting job.”

“Did you know that some sports stories are made up?” Olbermann asked ironically. “Gosh! I know! I'm shocked!"

Worse still, if one reporter successfully makes a story up, all the others in the town will follow. On Sunday morning, no other New York paper even hinted Rex Ryan should be fired, let alone would be. By Sunday afternoon, even USA Today already had a column posted demanding the firing.

“Nevertheless,” the host noted, “Rex Ryan is being wronged here, and the governor of New Jersey called the writer who started this an 'idiot. This guy's a complete idiot. Self-consumed, underpaid, reporter.'”

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

So the Jets have shown that they don't tip their hand. (Wilkerson deal. Fitz Deal etc).

But this.

That was my initial reaction, but Lopresti isn't a guy who seems to make stuff up.

Also, letting it leak that there are offers could be an attempt to get any inquiring teams to bump any offer slightly.

At this point the Jets owe it to Geno to find him a new team.

He has been smacked in the mouth (no pun intended) by this Organization over and over, almost since being drafted.

Got stuck with a bum of a HC coach who cared little for offensive players

Had to deal with repeated offensive coordinators and systems.

Got thrown under center way before he was properly developed, by an idiot head coach.

Got stuck playing with one of the worst offensive teams ever assembled in football.

An finally, he has had to deal with a fan base that has chosen to hate him Beyond the limits of reason.

An thru it all and for the most part he has been a good soldier and company man.

No,it's time to let Geno get away from the mess that has become the New York Jets for him. Trade him if possible,or just release him other wise. Believe me, within a day he will be signed by another team who will be thrilled to have him.

As my dad was so fond of saying, "one man's trash, is another man's treasure".

The Jets owe Geno and it's time they allow him the chance to rebuild his career.

On 8/30/2016 at 8:27 AM, fltflo said:

He has been smacked in the mouth (no pun intended) by this Organization over and over, almost since being drafted.

Got thrown under center way before he was properly developed, by an idiot head coach.

Got stuck playing with one of the worst offensive teams ever assembled in football.

An finally, he has had to deal with a fan base that has chosen to hate him Beyond the limits of reason.

An thru it all and for the most part he has been a good soldier and company man.

No,it's time to let Geno get away from the mess that has become the New York Jets for him. Trade him if possible,or just release him other wise. Believe me, within a day he will be signed by another team who will be thrilled to have him.

The Jets owe Geno and it's time they allow him the chance to rebuild his career.

7 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Geno never got screwed by anyone and he had adequate talent when he started. You can't make that excuse for him or for Sanchez. The fact is he never rose to the occasion. At least Sanchez did for two years. Sure it's not fair in the NFL ask Greg McElroy and all of the good college Qbs who never got a real opportunity to play. There aren't many jobs and most of them are filled. A Qb who wants to be a starter (like he does) has to make the most out of any opportunity. You can also see by the lack of interest in him on the trade front. Nobody wants to give the Jets very much in return. But if we trade or release him he will find employment. 

Archived