Geno Smith Trade Speculation Rumors: MERGED

AFJF

10 minutes ago, fltflo said:

At this point the Jets owe it to Geno to find him a new team.

He has been smacked in the mouth (no pun intended) by this Organization over and over, almost since being drafted.

Got stuck with a bum of a HC coach who cared little for offensive players

Had to deal with repeated offensive coordinators and systems.

Got thrown under center way before he was properly developed, by an idiot head coach.

Got stuck playing with one of the worst offensive teams ever assembled in football.

An finally, he has had to deal with a fan base that has chosen to hate him Beyond the limits of reason.

An thru it all and for the most part he has been a good soldier and company man.

No,it's time to let Geno get away from the mess that has become the New York Jets for him. Trade him if possible,or just release him other wise. Believe me, within a day he will be signed by another team who will be thrilled to have him.

As my dad was so fond of saying, "one man's trash, is another man's treasure".

The Jets owe Geno and it's time they allow him the chance to rebuild his career.

The Jets owe Geno ??? The Jets owe Geno nothing. They gave him his shot .

The Jets drafted Geno and sadly Geno just does not have what it takes to be an NFL QB. He's proven that over and over again yet he's still a Jet based on some damn myth he's the only guy who can be the number 2 on this team simply because he has NFL experience even though that experience has been pretty bad to say the least. Honestly how much worse can Hack and Petty be ?

That does not mean I hate Geno it means I don't think he's got what it takes to play the position. The fans who booed Geno are Idiots the same Idiots that cheered when Pennington got hurt probably.

I watched Petty and Hackenberg and both of those guys stood in the pocket and made plays Geno never has and its his biggest flaw IMHO. If Geno learns to stand tall in the pocket and scan the field at that time and only at that time will he improve. Fitz is very tough in the pocket and since Fitz is the guy who Geno should be learning from why didn't Geno pick up on the biggest flaw in his game ? He plays scared that's why and you can't be an NFL QB and play that way. If Geno changes that I'll be the first to stand up and applaud him for it as I did the first pre season game. Then in the next two games it was back to throwing off the back foot and not stepping up into the pocket its like he once again regressed when he didn't have too.

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Geno never got screwed by anyone and he had adequate talent when he started. You can't make that excuse for him or for Sanchez. The fact is he never rose to the occasion. At least Sanchez did for two years. Sure it's not fair in the NFL ask Greg McElroy and all of the good college Qbs who never got a real opportunity to play. There aren't many jobs and most of them are filled. A Qb who wants to be a starter (like he does) has to make the most out of any opportunity. You can also see by the lack of interest in him on the trade front. Nobody wants to give the Jets very much in return. But if we trade or release him he will find employment. 

G-Mac was awful (though his sister was hot).

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

The Jets owe Geno ??? The Jets owe Geno nothing. They gave him his shot .

The Jets drafted Geno and sadly Geno just does not have what it takes to be an NFL QB. He's proven that over and over again yet he's still a Jet based on some damn myth he's the only guy who can be the number 2 on this team simply because he has NFL experience even though that experience has been pretty bad to say the least. Honestly how much worse can Hack and Petty be ?

That does not mean I hate Geno it means I don't think he's got what it takes to play the position. The fans who booed Geno are Idiots the same Idiots that cheered when Pennington got hurt probably.

I watched Petty and Hackenberg and both of those guys stood in the pocket and made plays Geno never has and its his biggest flaw IMHO. If Geno learns to stand tall in the pocket and scan the field at that time and only at that time will he improve. Fitz is very tough in the pocket and since Fitz is the guy who Geno should be learning from why didn't Geno pick up on the biggest flaw in his game ? He plays scared that's why and you can't be an NFL QB and play that way. If Geno changes that I'll be the first to stand up and applaud him for it as I did the first pre season game. Then in the next two games it was back to throwing off the back foot and not stepping up into the pocket its like he once again regressed when he didn't have too.

Are you going to believe your lying eyes or the stats? 

Geno had a perfect game, went 8-8, didn't have good receivers, had a bad HC, had terrible bunions...Just watching a QB and seeing that he's backpedaling, pouting, and locked in on his first read is no reason to discount the perfect game. He has experience don't you know. 

Year 1, The fans gave Geno a pass his rookie year as he was learning the NFL game

Year 2, He also got a lot of slack year two due to the well documented lack of offensive talent (thanks Idzik and Rex)

Year 3, I think most fans were excited to see what Geno could do with a competent GM, HC and infusion of new talent.  Then he has to be a D*ick head over $600 and gets his jaw broken, he finally sees some game action and looks like the same old Geno with stupid plays at critical times. (he lost me right there)

Year 4. We now have some young talent with potential (dirty word) but we'll never know until we give them a shot.  I trust MM and TB to not waste the players they drafted to develop.  I agree Geno had some tough breaks but he also brought a lot on himself.  Good Luck to you Geno but it's time to move on.

29 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Geno wasnt a good prospect to begin with. The over focus on this player is nothing short of bizarre. Why doesnt Kellen Clemens have a fan club?

Always wished he got a little more of a look.  He was better than a lot of what we trotted out there instead of him.  Probably never would have turned into anything, I'm sure.  But he flashed, and if McCareins could catch, things may have gone differently.

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Always wished he got a little more of a look.  He was better than a lot of what we trotted out there instead of him.  Probably never would have turned into anything, I'm sure.  But he flashed.

Clemens or Geno?

8 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Always wished he got a little more of a look.  He was better than a lot of what we trotted out there instead of him.  Probably never would have turned into anything, I'm sure.  But he flashed, and if McCareins could catch, things may have gone differently.

He may have flashed but dick pics dont make a football career.

All kidding aside I agree a longer look may have been better.

Seems clear now that for reasons under his and out of his control and due to some very dumb moves it was never going to work in NY for him.

Talking Geno not Kellen

14 minutes ago, jetfan61 said:

Year 1, The fans gave Geno a pass his rookie year as he was learning the NFL game

Year 2, He also got a lot of slack year two due to the well documented lack of offensive talent (thanks Idzik and Rex)

Year 3, I think most fans were excited to see what Geno could do with a competent GM, HC and infusion of new talent.  Then he has to be a D*ick head over $600 and gets his jaw broken, he finally sees some game action and looks like the same old Geno with stupid plays at critical times. (he lost me right there)

Year 4. We now have some young talent with potential (dirty word) but we'll never know until we give them a shot.  I trust MM and TB to not waste the players they drafted to develop.  I agree Geno had some tough breaks but he also brought a lot on himself.  Good Luck to you Geno but it's time to move on.

If I ever saw him talk to a receiver after a blown play I'd have stuck with him. Sanchez would still be here if he'd done it too. You have to want to get better to get better. 

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Clemens or Geno?

8 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

He may have flashed but dick pics dont make a football career.

All kidding aside I agree a longer look may have been better.

Seems clear now that for reasons under his and out of his control and due to some very dumb moves it was never going to work in NY for him.

Talking Geno not Kellen

Clemens.

59 minutes ago, fltflo said:

He has been smacked in the mouth (no pun intended) by this Organization over and over, almost since being drafted.

Got thrown under center way before he was properly developed, by an idiot head coach.

Got stuck playing with one of the worst offensive teams ever assembled in football.

An finally, he has had to deal with a fan base that has chosen to hate him Beyond the limits of reason.

An thru it all and for the most part he has been a good soldier and company man.

No,it's time to let Geno get away from the mess that has become the New York Jets for him. Trade him if possible,or just release him other wise. Believe me, within a day he will be signed by another team who will be thrilled to have him.

The Jets owe Geno and it's time they allow him the chance to rebuild his career.

HAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

too f*cking funny man ... I may have sharted in my shorts from laughing so hard.

25 minutes ago, jetfan61 said:

Good recap, all true.

The one thing I'll add is that Geno Smith was never supposed to be a Jet.  This was a knee-jerk impulse buy by John Idzik who was supposed to pick someone else and saw the chance to look like some sort of genius/hero by picking a first round guy in the second round.  No different than seeing a big stack of halloween candy at the grocery store checkout in August and grabbing a bag even though you don't need it.

And every fan knew this happened, every fan knew this was John Idzik making a rookie blunder, so Geno Smith came into New York already disliked and already distrusted not on his own merit but on the basis of the man who drafted him.  Then add to that the lousy play.  Then add to that the Idzik disaster.  Then add to that the dick pics and the media boycotts and the $600 punch, we've all had enough of this draft folly experiment gone wrong.

SAR I

after sanchez left there were some here who predicted/feared he would become good elsewhere.  it's pretty clear now that sanchez is who he is, he's the same crappy qb he was when he was drafted.  at some point the body of work is credible enough to keep blaming the system, the coaching, the personnel, the fans, etc.  we're just not quite there yet with geno.  it's only year 4.  

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Good recap, all true.

The one thing I'll add is that Geno Smith was never supposed to be a Jet.  This was a knee-jerk impulse buy by John Idzik who was supposed to pick someone else and saw the chance to look like some sort of genius/hero by picking a first round guy in the second round.  No different than seeing a big stack of halloween candy at the grocery store checkout in August and grabbing a bag even though you don't need it.

And every fan knew this happened, every fan knew this was John Idzik making a rookie blunder, so Geno Smith came into New York already disliked and already distrusted not on his own merit but on the basis of the man who drafted him.  Then add to that the lousy play.  Then add to that the Idzik disaster.  Then add to that the dick pics and the media boycotts and the $600 punch, we've all had enough of this draft folly experiment gone wrong.

SAR I

more broadly, the tannenbaum/idzik eras never had the right offensive coaching personnel in place to truly have a shot at developing all the qbs they brought in.  that's what i like most about mccags, he is committed to developing qbs and understands it may take time.  

12 hours ago, King P said:

So being a subpar football player is enough to warrant all the crap people give him? I don't think so. If you want to criticize him for his subpar play, fine. I don't take issue with that. I do however take issue with some of the rude, nasty, uncalled for comments he constantly gets. Booing him before he even takes a snap? That's ridiculous. You would think he's a Patriot with some of the stuff spewed at him.

Even if he sucks, he's still a Jet. Wouldn't you want to root for him to do better? As a Jets fan, I root for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back. Rooting for a Jet to fail for the most part doesn't make sense to me.

It is what it is, I'm over it

You don't seem over anything. Also doesn't appear you understood a word of what I wrote in the post you quoted. 

Just now, Augustiniak said:

after sanchez left there were some here who predicted/feared he would become good elsewhere.  it's pretty clear now that sanchez is who he is, he's the same crappy qb he was when he was drafted.  at some point the body of work is credible enough to keep blaming the system, the coaching, the personnel, the fans, etc.  we're just not quite there yet with geno.  it's only year 4.  

You miss the point entirely.  To those who like to make the case that the Jets "ruined" Mark Sanchez, this excuse becomes a universal get out of jail free card which can be played endlessly.  I fully expect the Geno crowd to follow similar "logic" and have both sides of this issue.  If Geno goes elswhere and is wildly successful then they told us it would be so and if he continues to suck elsewhere then it is because of the ruination rained down on him by the Jets organization.

Heads I win tails you lose!

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

more broadly, the tannenbaum/idzik eras never had the right offensive coaching personnel in place to truly have a shot at developing all the qbs they brought in.  that's what i like most about mccags, he is committed to developing qbs and understands it may take time.  

That's why I say their experience ruined them. Then again I don't know that their's ever been a good QB that lacked confidence, and gravitas. Something Sanchez and Geno have in common that should automatically take you off the draft board. 

Just now, NYs Stepchild said:

That's why I say their experience ruined them. Then again I don't know that their's ever been a good QB that lacked confidence, and gravitas. Something Sanchez and Geno have in common that should automatically take you off the draft board. 

i'd say it set them back.  but at some point if you're good you overcome it.  farve was good here until he got hurt.  

2 minutes ago, EM31 said:

You miss the point entirely.  To those who like to make the case that the Jets "ruined" Mark Sanchez, this excuse becomes a universal get out of jail free card which can be played endlessly.  I fully expect the Geno crowd to follow similar "logic" and have both sides of this issue.  If Geno goes elswhere and is wildly successful then they told us it would be so and if he continues to suck elsewhere then it is because of the ruination rained down on him by the Jets organization.

Heads I win tails you lose!

I don't think either of them would ever have been great, but there's no doubt that they both reached their peak in year two then got worse the more they played. 

I don't really buy that the Jets ruined either Sanchez or Smith.  Both were overdrafted by FO's that were desperate to bring in "the answer" at Qb.  In Smith's case there was a reason he dropped to the second round slot the Jets drafted him at.  It was not a year with a rich Qb crop. So who pulled the trigger on him?  The incompetent John Idzik.  That's where the problems started.  Smith lost me early, since despite the 8-8 record there were two problems.  One was the ppg differential was a significant stat undermining the 8-8 record, and sure enough the next year saw a 4 game drop.  But as to Smith the main thing his fans did not seem to notice was all the turnovers were on him.  No tipped balls, sure didn't look like missed routes by the receivers (I might have wondered if SMith ever talked to them, but he never did).  Crap reads on his progressions, poor pocket awareness, and the key is he didn't get any better in year two.

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i'd say it set them back.  but at some point if you're good you overcome it.  farve was good here until he got hurt.  

I agree. Rex' fears may have hastened their demise, but they both looked pretty good until they had a real taste of failure. Then as you know, adversity reveals character. 

Some guys do not accept failure, and some wallow in it. May as well find out right away, then cut bait. This is what makes Petty look so intriguing to some of us. He looks like a natural leader. His reaction when he , or his teammates make mistakes is very revealing.

I don't know what his ceiling is, but I believe he will reach it, while the other QBs don't seem to have what it takes to maximise their potential. 

Back to the main topic of this thread.  The problem for a team looking at Smith at this point is why overpay for him?  Even though he's on a rookie contract, if you trade for him now you have to pick up his contract.  If by some miracle he performs well, he's going to be an FA next year, unless I guess you sign him to an extension now.  But who would do that?

So you're mostly looking at a one year situation for a backup who might not get into any games.  What do you give up for him?

I don't see the Jets getting more than a 7th given those considerations, and at this point I'd say it's more likely they don't even get that.  Maybe a trade for a JAG the other team will be willing to unload.  Most likely is he gets cut.

4 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

But as to Smith the main thing his fans did not seem to notice was all the turnovers were on him.  No tipped balls, sure didn't look like missed routes by the receivers (I might have wondered if SMith ever talked to them, but he never did).  Crap reads on his progressions, poor pocket awareness, and the key is he didn't get any better in year two.

Smith wasn't really all that great of a QB at WVU, either.  He relied on his WRs to corral his wayward passes.  He didn't make WVU "better", he just seemed to go along for the ride.  When WVU got a big lead early, Geno shined, too.  When they got behind or in tight games, not so much.

19 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I don't think either of them would ever have been great, but there's no doubt that they both reached their peak in year two then got worse the more they played. 

I agree that neither of them would have been great even with perfect preparation for the pro game.  I suppose I am as little frustrated by the arguments on here where some of the same people seem to want to have both sides of multiple issues. For example the question of whether to play a QB right off the bat of sit him and have him learn the nuances of the pro game while holding a clipboard.  Some of the very same posters who today are citing the fact that both Sanchez And Smith were "ruined" by being thrown into the fire too soon were the very same ones who were arguing strongly that you don't draft a QB that high in order to sit them and that you don't learn the position by sitting on the sidelines.

At least now they are on the right side of this question but it can be frustrating.

Back to the question of being ruined I think it is possible to permanently ruin a QB by exposing him to the wrong experiences early on.  David Carr is an example of a QB with great talent who had the crap beaten out of him in Houston.  Neither Sanchez or Smith suffered career ending ruination with the Jets in my opinion.

They are both just bad QBs

If Jets Management can get ANYTHING for Geno Friggin Smith they should be given executive of the year. This guy is nothing but an immature punk who has no football smarts. All the talent in the world but nothing will penetrate that big old gourd he calls a head. He is his own worst enemy. Time to cut ties with another mistake from the Ryan era. Bye Bye Geno. Don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.

21 minutes ago, HDKostempski said:

Smith wasn't really all that great of a QB at WVU, either.  He relied on his WRs to corral his wayward passes.  He didn't make WVU "better", he just seemed to go along for the ride.  When WVU got a big lead early, Geno shined, too.  When they got behind or in tight games, not so much.

Not sure I agree.  I went to 2 games his senior year and both times he put up over 40 points.  WHY? because  WVU had a shilty defense.  Geno threw because he had to.  Im done with Geno now, ive seen enough but to throw his college career under the bus? Hmmm.  Hows Jamestown BTW?  In another life I was a music major at Fredonia. Many a drunk night at the Villa Capri in Jamestown.

1 hour ago, fltflo said:

Lol, yea the team who rescued him from further sulking in the green room on day #2 of the draft owes him. And he was so effusive in his gratitude for it that he went ahead and fired his agents for blowing smoke up his @$$ about how good he was. Then this new face of the franchise brings his patented sulleness into all his interviews, right up to this year, where he all but stated he's not being given a fair shake. Oh, and let's not forget the team leader moment where he DID get smacked in the face, then couldn't post about it quick enough on ******* INSTAGRAM!!! Yea, the Jets organization owes him big time, such a legendary talent and personality. Poor kid.

27 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I agree that neither of them would have been great even with perfect preparation for the pro game.  I suppose I am as little frustrated by the arguments on here where some of the same people seem to want to have both sides of multiple issues. For example the question of whether to play a QB right off the bat of sit him and have him learn the nuances of the pro game while holding a clipboard.  Some of the very same posters who today are citing the fact that both Sanchez And Smith were "ruined" by being thrown into the fire too soon were the very same ones who were arguing strongly that you don't draft a QB that high in order to sit them and that you don't learn the position by sitting on the sidelines.

At least now they are on the right side of this question but it can be frustrating.

Back to the question of being ruined I think it is possible to permanently ruin a QB by exposing him to the wrong experiences early on.  David Carr is an example of a QB with great talent who had the crap beaten out of him in Houston.  Neither Sanchez or Smith suffered career ending ruination with the Jets in my opinion.

They are both just bad QBs

It's just semantics, but I think they are both very good talents who instinctively look for excuses instead of looking for solutions. In this way they may show flashes of brilliance when everything goes well, but collapse when the pressure builds. 

This is why the longer they played the worse they got until they felt the weight of the world was on their shoulders. Now they have both dug themselves a hole which by their very nature they cannot hope to climb out of, but instead sink deeper into the abyss. 

1 minute ago, NYs Stepchild said:

It's just semantics, but I think they are both very good talents who instinctively look for excuses instead of looking for solutions. In this way they may show flashes of brilliance when everything goes well, but collapse when the pressure builds. 

This is why the longer they played the worse they got until they felt the weight of the world was on their shoulders. Now they have both dug themselves a hole which by their very nature they cannot hope to climb out of, but instead sink deeper into the abyss. 

Very good physical talents I agree.  In both cases but particularly in the case of Smith, I think the quality and speed of his brain box was always in question.

Archived