Is Milliner done here? Should he be done here?

EM31

It seems to me that these things often follow a pattern....

"It is too soon to use that (bust) label"....

"Haven't we beaten this topic to death already?"

Dee Milliner cannot stay healthy.  It is almost cartoonish how fragile he has been here.  Even when he is healthy his performances have been very indifferent and that is a generous assessment.  Now he has yet another injury albeit not season ending this time.  My question is this. Is it time to cut bait on this guy or do we use one of the precious 53 roster spots on him?  Time to move in a new direction IMO even if we are not deep at CB.  How deep are we really with Mr Glass back there?

His contract is guaranteed, and he still has some of that potential that made him a top ten pick. He stays. 

Just hope he gets healthy, plays well, signs a fat contract to sit in someone else's training room, and the Jets get a comp pick out of it. 

3 minutes ago, peebag said:

After Revi$ - we're pretty f*cking thin....

How much thinner if he goes down again and we are forced to poke around in the NFL discard pile?  I am not even convinced that when healthy that his level of play is NFL caliber. 

I think if they took the 5th year option it would have been expensive. But I agree that we keep him for 2016. I don't think he has good trade value but if we released him there would be much interest around the NFL. And we all know the numbers of secondary injuries throughout the year. He's a good example of that. Since we're paying him we might as well use him for depth. And if he's healthy he's an NFL corner. 

he most likely will make the team cause we are thin cb. my guess is burris jumps ahead of him on the depth chart not only because the coaches love him, but he has played better in preseason.   i do however unfortunately think milliner will get hurt again this season.  dude cant stay healthy. now i dont wish this on the kid but history tends to repeat itself.

CB & The right side of our Oline are our Achilles heel right now. But, go to any other fan site & there are no perfect teams, everyone has holes or lack of depth somewhere. Look at Dallas, ooh, ooh, what a great Oline, but they are SO THIN everywhere! Their defense sucks balls!

Pats Oline has Marcus Cannon starting! and Solder is always a back tweak from the bench. The NFL is about staying healthy period. Once the Pats had to sign Gronk, their depth suffered. Wait till next year when both Collins & Hightower come to the negotiating table. Is Butler also coming up?

2017 is Maccs chance to shine. I think Brady finally shows his age, their cap gets dicey, Rex is shown the door in Buffalo & Tannys bills come due in Miami. 

1 minute ago, LIJetsFan said:

I was initially surprised when Mac took a CB in the 4th.  Now Mac looks prescient; damn I love me so Mac.

It's a spot that's going to hurt us. How much remains to be seen, but that was evident last season and we didn't do enough to build it up in my book.

4 minutes ago, NJ said:

It's a spot that's going to hurt us. How much remains to be seen, but that was evident last season and we didn't do enough to build it up in my book.

We gotta score some points. I think our defense will be feast or famine. Awesome strip sacks & picks and wide open WTF touchdowns. I thought Skrine was a better player, but he's scaring the crap out of me! Colt McCoy was abusing him. If Revis fault ers our Jets are in deep doo doo.

31 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I was initially surprised when Mac took a CB in the 4th.  Now Mac looks prescient; damn I love me some Mac.

I thought they'd take one sooner. Specifically, it set up nicely in round 2 for the Jets to take Mackensie Alexander (who went a few picks later to the Vikings), who was a first round talent. Jets went with Hack, who won't see the field this year. Alexander is turning heads in Minnesota. We'll see how it all turns out.

$4M+ of dead money and zero cap savings by cutting him.  No chance that happens.  We're stuck with him for 1 more year.

I want Dexter McDougle to be kept, but financially, he makes the most sense to let go.  Only $150K of dead money and $615,000 of cap savings.  Just depends what the coaching staff thinks of him at this point. 

Based on the "Who would you cut" thread, I don't think we even need to get rid of him. We don't have enough talented CB's as is. I thought it was pretty easy to find 22 players to cut, and he wasn't even remotely close to being one of them. 

With all that said, I'm not even a big fan of his. I watched the 1 game that his supporters cling to (vs Miami at the end of the season 2 years ago) and he was bailed out from at least 2 TD's because Wallace was behind him and Tannehill is horrendous at throwing deep balls. 

Here's the thing. The Jets will carry 6 CBs. Assuming Burris, Revis, Skrine and Williams are locks, that leaves Milliner, McDougle, Morris, Short, Bryson.

Morris made some plays and may push for the final 6th spot. But otherwise, injury prone or not, Milliner and McDougle are the best remaining options. We're talking about the 5th and 6th CBs here, lets not forget. People exaggerate how bad Milliner is when he's healthy. He looked bad in the preseason game vs. the Jags where he was on Robinson, but actually had great positioning most of the time. 

I actually don't think the depth is that bad. We just need one guy to step up and prove he can hold on to that #2 spot. Otherwise the Nickel spot and further depth is pretty decent. Especially if Burris continues to progress throughout the season.

So I don't see Milliner getting cut. And McDougle will probably hold on to that #6 spot. The wild card is if a better option comes along as other teams make their cuts. But that is unlikely, and we might as well hold on to Milliner and if he gets hurt replace him with a FA.     

Also, people keep bringing up how it makes or doesn't make sense financially to keep or let these guys go. At this point in the offseason, final pre-season game, the 'financial' aspect of it is practically meaningless. Its all about keeping the best players at this point. The roster is set as far as the cap is concerned. These contracts we are discussing, in the grand scheme of things, are pennies. This is not the time to count pennies. Now, cutting Breno, that's something to consider as it would free up about 5mil, I think. But Milliner, McDougle, and the other bubble guys...their contracts don't really factor in, not at this point. Its all about whether they can help the team. 

9 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Also, people keep bringing up how it makes or doesn't make sense financially to keep or let these guys go. At this point in the offseason, final pre-season game, the 'financial' aspect of it is practically meaningless. Its all about keeping the best players at this point. The roster is set as far as the cap is concerned. These contracts we are discussing, in the grand scheme of things, are pennies. This is not the time to count pennies. Now, cutting Breno, that's something to consider as it would free up about 5mil, I think. But Milliner, McDougle, and the other bubble guys...their contracts don't really factor in, not at this point. Its all about whether they can help the team. 

The roster is not set as far as the cap is concerned. The Jets still have to make room for in season expenditures. They are right up against it. Thompkins will likely be cut because his money isn't guaranteed.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62267/memo-to-jets-the-more-the-merrier-doesnt-apply-to-quarterbacks

5. Money matters: The Jets have only $1.2 million in salary-cap room, per NFLPA records -- the lowest in the league. They’ll have to create more space in the coming weeks because they need money for a practice squad (about $1 million), an additional two players on the cap (currently, only 51 count) and potential injury replacements. Ideally, you’d like to go into the season a few million under the cap -- fudge money, as Bill Parcells used to call it.

There’s not much fat on the roster, in terms of possible cap casualties. I'm curious to see what happens with Breno Giacomini, who hasn't practiced because of a back injury. The team can save $4.4 million by cutting him, but he's the only experienced right tackle.

If Milliner makes our final cuts it will tell me that the coaching staff saw something during training camp that we didn't see in the preseason games. I have faith in their decisions...his saving grace might be that we really don't have the greatest depth at CB this season.

5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The roster is not set as far as the cap is concerned. The Jets still have to make room for in season expenditures. They are right up against it. Thompkins will likely be cut because his money isn't guaranteed.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62267/memo-to-jets-the-more-the-merrier-doesnt-apply-to-quarterbacks

5. Money matters: The Jets have only $1.2 million in salary-cap room, per NFLPA records -- the lowest in the league. They’ll have to create more space in the coming weeks because they need money for a practice squad (about $1 million), an additional two players on the cap (currently, only 51 count) and potential injury replacements. Ideally, you’d like to go into the season a few million under the cap -- fudge money, as Bill Parcells used to call it.

There’s not much fat on the roster, in terms of possible cap casualties. I'm curious to see what happens with Breno Giacomini, who hasn't practiced because of a back injury. The team can save $4.4 million by cutting him, but he's the only experienced right tackle.

Yes, of course. Its still peanuts though considering the multitude of things you can do to free up cap. Simply cutting Breno is pretty much all it takes. But Mac can also re-structure a player, there are still more cuts on the horizon (Thompkins is a lock to get cut at this point). 

Again, in the grand scheme of things the Jets do not need to free up much cap. One or two moves can get the job done and still give them enough 'fudge' money. JMHO. 

15 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm not sold on Burris yet but he will definitely make the team. I'm not sure about his consistency or coverage skills. Sure it's early. He'll have an NFL career but will he be another Kyle Wilson that's the question. At times he looks looks like him. 

Not nec. trying to pick on you specifically, but I don't understand why people always say 'this guy' will be another 'this guy'. Burris and Wilson are completely different players. There's no comparison. If you are trying to say Burris will be a bust like Wilson, just say that. Are you saying he is inconsistent and doesn't have great man cover skills like Wilson? Just say that. But its not quite accurate either. Burris has good coverage skills- he's a lanky press corner. Wilson was an undersized, feisty Nickel corner with some return ability. Burris has shown he has a great ability to adjust to deep balls, using his body and long arms. Wilson got burned by deep balls all the time, he had no awareness of where the ball was when in the air. He didn't have the height or length to compensate for his lack of ball awareness. 

Wilson was drafted in the 1st round. He was highly touted coming out of college. Burris was considered by some to be a reach in the 4th round. So the expectations are not the same, the players are very different, their strengths and weaknesses are different, you can't even say both are busts b/c Burris is just a rookie. The only similarity is that they were both drafted by the Jets and play CB. But then you might as well compare Revis to Burris.     

24 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Not nec. trying to pick on you specifically, but I don't understand why people always say 'this guy' will be another 'this guy'. Burris and Wilson are completely different players. There's no comparison. If you are trying to say Burris will be a bust like Wilson, just say that. Are you saying he is inconsistent and doesn't have great man cover skills like Wilson? Just say that. But its not quite accurate either. Burris has good coverage skills- he's a lanky press corner. Wilson was an undersized, feisty Nickel corner with some return ability. Burris has shown he has a great ability to adjust to deep balls, using his body and long arms. Wilson got burned by deep balls all the time, he had no awareness of where the ball was when in the air. He didn't have the height or length to compensate for his lack of ball awareness. 

Wilson was drafted in the 1st round. He was highly touted coming out of college. Burris was considered by some to be a reach in the 4th round. So the expectations are not the same, the players are very different, their strengths and weaknesses are different, you can't even say both are busts b/c Burris is just a rookie. The only similarity is that they were both drafted by the Jets and play CB. But then you might as well compare Revis to Burris.     

I've only seen Burris play a little bit. And he's made some plays. But so far he reminds me a little of Wilson in terms of coverage skills. He's too far off the ball and gives up a lot of space. That's my initial observation but he's a rookie and should get better. Like you I hope the guy has a good career and contributes this year.

45 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Yes, of course. Its still peanuts though considering the multitude of things you can do to free up cap. Simply cutting Breno is pretty much all it takes. But Mac can also re-structure a player, there are still more cuts on the horizon (Thompkins is a lock to get cut at this point). 

Again, in the grand scheme of things the Jets do not need to free up much cap. One or two moves can get the job done and still give them enough 'fudge' money. JMHO. 

Oh I agree. Breno being cut should have been a forgone conclusion. But until they make the moves to free up the space some considerations have to be given to contracts like Thompkins. Cutting him clears 1.7 and let's the Jets keep a younger receiver. The CB position doesn't matter when it comes to money but other positions do. 

Archived