Is Milliner done here? Should he be done here?

EM31

2 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

I think one more missed game due to "injury" should be enough to cut him loose. Plus, he got beat for an easy TD against the Giants when he bit on the corner move and got beat to the post. According to Greg Buttle that is inexcuseable.

His contract is guaranteed, he's not getting cut. If he can't stay healthy, they'd be significantly better off just putting him on the IR. And again, hoping to get a comp pick for him in 2018. 

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

People exaggerate how bad Milliner is when he's healthy. He looked bad in the preseason game vs. the Jags where he was on Robinson, but actually had great positioning most of the time. 

'Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln'?

Come on dude, he was brutal. 

17 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

We're stuck with him this year, unfortunately. Put the guy on special teams. Or better yet he can play scout team running back. 

Funny enough, that's all the run he got last year when he was dressed was on specials.

12 minutes ago, CaliforniaJet said:

We are keeping Milliner, and if he is healthy he will get plenty of snaps. 

If Milliner is getting "plenty of snaps", that means someone is hurt or ineffective. He'll likely be the 4th or 5th corner at this point.

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

We gotta score some points. I think our defense will be feast or famine. Awesome strip sacks & picks and wide open WTF touchdowns. I thought Skrine was a better player, but he's scaring the crap out of me! Colt McCoy was abusing him. If Revis fault ers our Jets are in deep doo doo.

Revis is going to play a lot of cushion so there's going to be yards on him too - probably not a lot of TD's though. 

They'll get hung on other guys back there.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Funny enough, that's all the run he got last year when he was dressed was on specials.

If Milliner is getting "plenty of snaps", that means someone is hurt or ineffective. He'll likely be the 4th or 5th corner at this point.

I think he does get plenty of snaps, he is likely our 3rd or 4th corner when healthy. (Revis, Skrine, Williams, Milliner). He will play if healthy. 

4 hours ago, PepPep said:

Here's the thing. The Jets will carry 6 CBs. Assuming Burris, Revis, Skrine and Williams are locks, that leaves Milliner, McDougle, Morris, Short, Bryson.

Morris made some plays and may push for the final 6th spot. But otherwise, injury prone or not, Milliner and McDougle are the best remaining options. We're talking about the 5th and 6th CBs here, lets not forget. People exaggerate how bad Milliner is when he's healthy. He looked bad in the preseason game vs. the Jags where he was on Robinson, but actually had great positioning most of the time. 

I actually don't think the depth is that bad. We just need one guy to step up and prove he can hold on to that #2 spot. Otherwise the Nickel spot and further depth is pretty decent. Especially if Burris continues to progress throughout the season.

So I don't see Milliner getting cut. And McDougle will probably hold on to that #6 spot. The wild card is if a better option comes along as other teams make their cuts. But that is unlikely, and we might as well hold on to Milliner and if he gets hurt replace him with a FA.     

As frustrating as Milliner has been, both because of injuries and up-and-down performances, I agree with you.  He's definitely one of the top 6 CBs we currently have.  We should keep him, but let's hope he's not called into action too often.

Our real hope should be that Williams makes incremental improvement from last year showing that he is capable of being a decent CB2 and allowing us to put Skrine in the slot.  A bigger hope should be that Burris really takes off as a rookie, learns from being around guys like Revis and Skrine, and snatches a starting spot by midseason.  Hey, a guy can dream!

1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

Milliner is not going anywhere unless a desperate GM comes calling.

Hopefully, he gets and stays healthy, plays up to his potential and when he leaves signs for 10+/year :-)

Between that thought and winning the lottery which is more likely to happen??

1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

well lottery is so out there... if he can be healthy for last 8 games and plays like he did at end of rookie year, he might make good money; like QBs, OLB (who can sack), CBs make good money even if they are injury prone and not consistent.

.. okay maybe the lottery.

Winner winner chicken dinner..:)

Wow is my basic reaction.  It's not like I was betting on Milliner to begin playing up to his draft status. But he had a clear road ahead of himself to get into the Cb rotation since M Williams was not going to impress that much.  All he had to do was stay healthy and be consistent. 

Wow.

Archived