NYJ Final Cuts Thread

Integrity28

I thought it would be good to have a central thread for all of our final cuts, as they happen. Meaning, save the "I think Geno should be cut" arguing for other threads, please. Use this for reporting cuts and thoughts about them specifically. If you guys can do this, then I'll buy you all cupcakes.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This likely means that at least one player carrying a cap figure of some significance (by that I mean 600K+) will need to get the ax.  Those candidates include:

* Breno Giacomini:  $5.625M 2016 cap charge (save $5M by cutting, $625K dead money)

* Kenbrell Thompkins:  $1.67M 2016 cap charge (save $1.671M by cutting)

* Geno Smith:  $1.6M 2016 cap charge (save $1.1M by cutting/trading, $500K dead money)

* Tommy Bohannon:  $690K 2016 cap charge (save $675K by cutting, $15K dead money)

* Dexter McDougle:  $760K 2016 cap charge (save $615K by cutting, $150K dead money)

* Trevor Reilly:  $615K 2016 cap charge (save $600K by cutting, $15K dead money)

I would cut Thompkins, Giocamini, Reily, and Bohanon.

Bohanon is one of the worst FB's in the NFL and is slow as dirt.

Thompkins might be the 6th best receiver on the team with 0 ST ability and is the 3rd highest paid.

Gio is hurt anyway. Cut Giocamini and bring him back when he's healthy IF Qvuale struggles.

Keep in mind you don't really save as much as it looks like since you have to replace them with other guys.  Bohannon and Reilly, for example, wouldn't really save much of anything even if you brought in a minimum salary guy to replace them. 

Definitely agree about Thompkins and Bohannon at the very least though.  Even if Bohannon doesn't save cap, he's taking up a roster spot and not really contributing anything.

33 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This likely means that at least one player carrying a cap figure of some significance (by that I mean 600K+) will need to get the ax.  Those candidates include:

* Breno Giacomini:  $5.625M 2016 cap charge (save $5M by cutting, $625K dead money)

* Geno Smith:  $1.6M 2016 cap charge (save $1.1M by cutting/trading, $500K dead money)

* Tommy Bohannon:  $690K 2016 cap charge (save $675K by cutting, $15K dead money)

* Dexter McDougle:  $760K 2016 cap charge (save $615K by cutting, $150K dead money)

* Trevor Reilly:  $615K 2016 cap charge (save $600K by cutting, $15K dead money)

McDougle's a goner. I'd assume Reilly is too, but the Jenkins injury might complicate things there. If they had any brains they'd dump Giacomini and Thompkins and just play the kids instead, but like every Jets regime, this one seems to prefer expensive sh*tty players over cheap sh*tty players whenever possible.

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Coincidentally, I would get rid of Thompkins and Bohannon even if they didn't save us anything, so that seems like a slam dunk to me!

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

all of the above. Some can be traded also. Miliner

I thought Tompkins was going to make the roster when camp started, but at this point he could be a cap casualty, and in any event the young receivers are playing well enough with him not taking the field, so him getting cut looks like a decent bet at this point.  On Breno I wish Qvale showed better in these games.  Oh well.

53 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jace Amaro, $810K savings. 

Current cap only counts top 51 plays, final roster will be 53. NFL minimum for rookies is $450K, first year $525K, second year $600K. Not a lot of places to find real savings on this roster. If they like a kicker better than Folk, that's $2.75M. If they think they can get by without Winters, that's another $1.6M.  

28 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I thought Tompkins was going to make the roster when camp started, but at this point he could be a cap casualty, and in any event the young receivers are playing well enough with him not taking the field, so him getting cut looks like a decent bet at this point.  On Breno I wish Qvale showed better in these games.  Oh well.

They would have given Thompkins a few snaps if he was making the team. I think he had 7 total. 

38 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

McDougle's a goner. I'd assume Reilly is too, but the Jenkins injury might complicate things there. If they had any brains they'd dump Giacomini and Thompkins and just play the kids instead, but like every Jets regime, this one seems to prefer expensive sh*tty players over cheap sh*tty players whenever possible.

I was just gonna say, they should just rip some Band-Aids clean off today. Run a Parcells-style fatwa on the prior GM's errors. Cut Amaro, McDougle, Milliner, Giacomini. If Petty isn't dead, move Geno. 

3 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I would be surprised if they cut Geno given Petty's injury, granted x-rays were negative but I doubt he will be ready to go as the  #2 opening day.  

The MRI today will be more telling.  Xrays only going to show any bone damage, the MRI will show any soft tissue damage (which we really really hope isn't the case!)

1 hour ago, slats said:

Current cap only counts top 51 plays, final roster will be 53. NFL minimum for rookies is $450K, first year $525K, second year $600K. Not a lot of places to find real savings on this roster. If they like a kicker better than Folk, that's $2.75M. If they think they can get by without Winters, that's another $1.6M.  

PS doesn't count against the cap, correct?   

Based on what we've seen from Macc so far my guess is the top 52-53 stay, the rest are let go.   If the Jets need cap space they can rework some vet contracts today to get free up $ and get under the cap.  

Just now, JETSfaninNE said:

The MRI today will be more telling.  Xrays only going to show any bone damage, the MRI will show any soft tissue damage (which we really really hope isn't the case!)

Agreed. It depends on if he will be ready to play even if there is no damage. What is with Jets QB's and shoulder injuries.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I thought it would be good to have a central thread for all of our final cuts, as they happen. Meaning, save the "I think Geno should be cut" arguing for other threads, please. Use this for reporting cuts and thoughts about them specifically. If you guys can do this, then I'll buy you all cupcakes.

Just a suggestion. Would you be able to edit this first post with the updated cuts? 

58 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was just gonna say, they should just rip some Band-Aids clean off today. Run a Parcells-style fatwa on the prior GM's errors. Cut Amaro, McDougle, Milliner, Giacomini. If Petty isn't dead, move Geno. 

Regarding Giacomini... I saw Qvale and Ijalana playing last night. 

If Breno isn't going to be ready for the opener why play Ijalana? If he got injured Jets would be doubly screwed.

It makes me think Breno might be available OR Those other 2 need all the PT they can get

I think the last 5 spots on the Cut/Keep list are

Craig Watts or Dakota Dozier OL

Doug Middleton or Ronald Martin S

Charone Peake or Jalin Marshall WR (Assuming RA is in)

Lawrence Thomas or Claude Pelon DL for 1 week until SR comes back

Taiwan Jones, or Freddie Bishop, or Julian Stanford LB (I think Reilly is in)

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Regarding Giacomini... I saw Qvale and Ijalana playing last night. 

If Breno isn't going to be ready for the opener why play Ijalana? If he got injured Jets would be doubly screwed.

It makes me think Breno might be available OR Those other 2 need all the PT they can get

If it were me, I'd be looking for excuses to cut an expensive, mediocre, veteran RT. Breno is simply not worth the money he makes, and if Qvale showed a pulse, you play him. The Jets, for too long, have relied on expensive stopgaps at the expense of throwing their young players into the fire. Breno is the embodiment of that.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If it were me, I'd be looking for excuses to cut an expensive, mediocre, veteran RT. Breno is simply not worth the money he makes, and if Qvale showed a pulse, you play him. The Jets, for too long, have relied on expensive stopgaps at the expense of throwing their young players into the fire. Breno is the embodiment of that.

this.   I understand that the team was up against the salary cap but the tandem of Winters and Breno should have been addressed.

10 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I think the last 5 spots on the Cut/Keep list are

Craig Watts or Dakota Dozier OL

Doug Middleton or Ronald Martin S

Charone Peake or Jalin Marshall WR (Assuming RA is in)

Lawrence Thomas or Claude Pelon DL for 1 week until SR comes back

Taiwan Jones, or Freddie Bishop, or Julian Stanford LB (I think Reilly is in)

I think Reilly is gone.... Middleton to PS for a little more seasoning, Watts beats out Dozier, Both Peake and Marshall make it over Thompkins.

IMHO

1 hour ago, slats said:

I agree with slats; Jace Amaro needs to go, he's a 1-dimensional player who is lousy at the 1 dimension that he's supposed to at least be good at. Since he can't block and he has a habit of dropping balls, especially when he's wide open, well I'd much rather have Quincy Enunwa in his place

38 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

PS doesn't count against the cap, correct?   

Based on what we've seen from Macc so far my guess is the top 52-53 stay, the rest are let go.   If the Jets need cap space they can rework some vet contracts today to get free up $ and get under the cap.  

It does count, somewhere around $1M. 

And yeah, there are probably a couple contracts they can rework. 

8 minutes ago, peebag said:

this.   I understand that the team was up against the salary cap but the tandem of Winters and Breno should have been addressed.

I think they've tried fixing the OL, but they're just bad at it. What they need to do is stick young guys out there and let them develop and hope for the best. Remember how bad Winters was two years ago. You gotta hang with them.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think they've tried fixing the OL, but they're just bad at it. What they need to do is stick young guys out there and let them develop and hope for the best. Remember how bad Winters was two years ago. You gotta hang with them.

Winters looks pretty good now

5 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I've obviously been wrong many, many, many, many, many, many times before, but I'd be shocked if Geno, Davis, Amaro, or Milliner are cut.

After the Petty shoulder and no news on it yet, I doubt Geno goes anywhere now. I also think they keep Amaro just because we don't have a TE, unless Enunwa is going to just be the guy there.

2 hours ago, Mecca said:

I would cut Thompkins, Giocamini, Reily, and Bohanon.

Bohanon is one of the worst FB's in the NFL and is slow as dirt.

Thompkins might be the 6th best receiver on the team with 0 ST ability and is the 3rd highest paid.

Gio is hurt anyway. Cut Giocamini and bring him back when he's healthy IF Qvuale struggles.

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Bohanon doesn't seem to have a role. And Thompkins could go, I'd rather see Anderson myself. You don't cut Geno that's crazy esp after what happened yesterday. Petty injured and Hack not ready . 

Rex' caddy.

Archived