Ok lets turn attention to Jets- Bengals

faba

7 minutes ago, Stark said:

Not sure on his health, but I did read that he and his wife are expecting and he said he would miss a game for his first child's birth. Lets hope for a healthy birth Sunday morning around 11AM.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/26/a-j-green-wont-play-if-his-baby-is-born-on-game-day/

ha.  I hope he plays, let's beta them at their best(or as close to it as possible).  this should be a fun game and hopefully we can pull it out.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have to beat up Dalton and contain AJ. I'd double him. Eifert being out is a big plus for us.

They're a good team though so this isn't going to be easy. I'd have to obviously mark them as the favorite. Gonna be an uphill battle for us. But they are beatable.

We really need to come out of the gate 2-0 with the schedule we have going forward. If we beat Cincy, Buffalo is the easiest team we have for a while.

Bengals have big, fast receivers that I don't think we match up well against, especially given the questionable situation at #2 CB, so we'll need pressure on Dalton and lots of it. We'll need safety help over the top, even for Revis. Turnovers always help. They have small corners that Marshall can pretty easily outjump and out muscle, so we have to take advantage of mismatches in their secondary. Forte has to show that he's worth the money and a suitable replacement for Ivory. 

5 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Bengals have big, fast receivers that I don't think we match up well against, especially given the questionable situation at #2 CB, so we'll need pressure on Dalton and lots of it. We'll need safety help over the top, even for Revis. Turnovers always help. They have small corners that Marshall can pretty easily outjump and out muscle, so we have to take advantage of mismatches in their secondary. Forte has to show that he's worth the money and a suitable replacement for Ivory. 

Who besides AJ Green is formidable in that WR corp?

Brandon LaFell is a JOKE and I have the utmost confidence in Skrine or EVEN Juston Burris covering him.

Then you have 2 rookies in Tyler Boyd and Cody Core as their #3 and #4. Considering we now have FAST LBs that can cover better and safties that can tackle settled in their 2nd year in the system, HOW is their WR corp a unit in that we don't match up well against?

If JUST our Dline can apply consistent pass rush, Revis can hold down Green, and the Run defense contains Hill & Bernard. The Jets defense SHOULD handle the Cincy offense if they force Dalton to carry the team - which he won't.

The REAL caveat is if OUR OFFENSE can outscore their stout defense considering we REALLY have NO IDEA how our Run game will play to keep the heat off Fitzy from having to carry the team - which we also know he can't - and keeping Cincy defense honest from a blitzkrieg that may force #14 into turnovers. 

3 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Who besides AJ Green is formidable in that WR corp?

Brandon LaFell is a JOKE and I have the utmost confidence in Skrine or EVEN Juston Burris covering him.

Then you have 2 rookies in Tyler Boyd and Cody Core as their #3 and #4. Considering we now have FAST LBs that can cover better and safties that can tackle settled in their 2nd year in the system, HOW is their WR corp a unit in that we don't match up well against?

If JUST our Dline can apply consistent pass rush, Revis can hold down Green, and the Run defense contains Hill & Bernard. The Jets defense SHOULD handle the Cincy offense if they force Dalton to carry the team - which he won't.

The REAL caveat is if OUR OFFENSE can outscore their stout defense considering we REALLY have NO IDEA how our Run game will play to keep the heat off Fitzy from having to carry the team - which we also know he can't - and keeping Cincy defense honest from a blitzkrieg that may force #14 into turnovers. 

Expect a ton of dump offs to Gio Bernard. He's their #2 receiver this year. Darron Lee needs to step up.

10 minutes ago, Mecca said:

Expect a ton of dump offs to Gio Bernard. He's their #2 receiver this year. Darron Lee needs to step up.

And that is EXACTLY what was addressed in the off-season by acquiring Bruce Carter, Lee, and Jenkins along with retaining Henderson. 

Thanks for validating my point. The Cincy #2 Option as a receiving threat is their 2nd string Scatback in the flat and wheel routes - issue addressed. 

We need to stop the run, limit AJ Green, and keep the RedRocket uneasy when going back to pass w/consistent pressure. Do that and score MORE points than the Bengals, Jets SHOULD have this. 24-10 Jets. 

1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

And that is EXACTLY what was addressed in the off-season by acquiring Bruce Carter, Lee, and Jenkins along with retaining Henderson. 

Thanks for validating my point. The Cincy #2 Option as a receiving threat is their 2nd string Scatback in the flat and wheel routes - issue addressed. 

We need to stop the run, limit AJ Green, and keep the RedRocket uneasy when going back to pass w/consistent pressure. Do that and score MORE points than the Bengals, Jets SHOULD have this. 24-10 Jets. 

Bernard is going to catch 70 balls in that offense this year. I think their offense is going to be much more reliant on its running backs than years past. McClendon and Lee need to step up.

2 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Week 1 at home and seems like we are the dog.  Lets kick them right in the F'ing mouth and start this season off with bang!!!

Of COURSE we are the DOG!

They were 12-4 LAST YEAR and MADE the playoffs. We were 10-6 and CHOKED when it mattered most left to lick our wounds losing to an Idiot in Western NY. 

Our Franchise BEST is 12-4 and that was in 1998. 

Every Year is a NEW mountain to climb and last year is worthless now. We are rightfully so the UnderDog and should PLAY like a RABID Dog backed into a corner all 16 games. 

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

My biggest concern is their d-line vs our o-line. Not a matchup I like for us.

If we can establish a Run Game - which is YET to be proven according to the preseason - and Fitz can make QUICK reads and passes that are NOT telepathed to the CBs, we just may have a chance to shine in the sun like a baboon's A$$. 

Forget playoff flops, Bengals will pose serious challenge to Jets

Video Link

The New York Jets are opening at home for the seventh straight year. Unlike the previous four, their opponent isn't a cream puff.

The Cincinnati Bengals are legit -- well, from September to December. Since 2011, the Bengals are 52-27-1 in the regular season, the fifth-best record in the NFL. Their problems start in January -- five straight one-and-done postseasons. That's a sore subject in Cincinnati, where they're still haunted by last year's epic meltdown against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The atmosphere at MetLife Stadium will be electric and emotional, as the Jets will commemorate the 15th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Optimism is high because they're coming off a 10-win season and most of their key players are back. With 10 starters in the 30-and-up age group, there's a now-or-never vibe in the locker room. They've gone five straight years without a playoff appearance, a drought that has coincided with the Bengals' streak of five consecutive playoff seasons.

Here are six Bengals to watch, courtesy of ESPN Bengals reporter Katherine Terrell:

OFFENSE

QB Andy DaltonDalton hasn’t played in a game since Dec. 15 of last season when a broken thumb knocked him out of a game against the Steelers. But he’s coming off what was the best season of his career up to that point and has looked sharp in the preseason. Dalton will need to pick up where he left off, with a new cast of wide receivers this season. Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones are gone, while Tyler Eifert is injured.

WR Tyler BoydThe Bengals rookie wideout, a second-round pick out of Pittsburgh, is facing the biggest game and biggest crowd of his career Sunday. How he handles it will be a key question. Boyd has looked the part in the preseason so far, but that doesn’t always translate into the regular season. But with Darrelle Revis likely focused on Bengals wideout A.J. Green, Boyd might be thrown at a lot if he’s in one-on-one coverage against Buster Skrine.

RT Cedric OgbuehiThe Bengals' first-rounder in 2015, Ogbuehi missed the final three games of the preseason with a toe injury. Ogbhuei, the successor to Andre Smith, will make his first regular-season start Sunday. He’ll have to do so in Week 1 on the road. No pressure.

DEFENSE

DT Geno AtkinsAtkins was arguably the best player at his position last year, generating 11 sacks from the interior. In limited preseason playing time, he’s picked up where he left off, blowing past offensive linemen as if they weren’t there. The Jets will have their hands full trying to contain him.

LB Karlos DansbyThere are two questions regarding Dansby, whom the Bengals signed to one-year deal in March. Can he still play at a high level at 34 and how will he gel with the other Bengals linebackers? Dansby is one of the oldest linebackers in the NFL, but started 16 games for the Browns last year and led the team in tackles before being released. He is one interception away from being the fifth linebacker in NFL history to have 40 career sacks and 20 interceptions.

LB Vincent ReyWith Vontaze Burfict suspended for three games, the Bengals will turn to Rey. Rey can play all three linebacker spots, but he’s the immediate backup to Burfict and also filled in for him last season when Burfict was out following microfracture surgery. Having a reliable backup like Rey provides some continuity while Burfict is serving his suspension.

Probably will not be one of your higher scoring games of the season.  Heh.  That being the case, it could come down to turnovers.  Maybe one is Atkins pressuring Fitz?  Ugh.

Won't be the last time I say this, but a key factor is likely to be how well the Jets hold up at #2Cb.  Skrine will be in the limelight, but it also depends on how much pressure the Bengals can put on him, which to me is an unknown factor at this point. 

If the Jets were on the road, I'd have to predict a loss, but this one looks like a tossup.

13 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

DT Geno AtkinsAtkins was arguably the best player at his position last year, generating 11 sacks from the interior. In limited preseason playing time, he’s picked up where he left off, blowing past offensive linemen as if they weren’t there. The Jets will have their hands full trying to contain him.

This is really all i worry about this sunday.  dude is a beast

New York Jets vs. Cincinnati Bengals, Six Initial Thoughts

By Joe Caporoso.

A handful of initial thoughts on the New York Jets season opener against the Cincinnati Bengals, who are currently 2.5 point favorites despite being on the road…

1. The Jets have now opened at home every season since 2010, where they have won every time except for in 2010 against the Ravens. Unlike the past 5 years, they will not be favorites. The Bengals have been a playoff team the past five seasons and despite being without Tyler Eifert and Vontaze Burfict, are road favorites against the Jets.

This will be a strong early season test for a team who fancies themselves AFC contenders. Cincinnati has a deep, talented roster and is particularly loaded upfront on both sides of the football. Andy Dalton missed the back half of last season with an injury and is never without his inconsistencies but was in the MVP discussion before getting hurt in 2015. AJ Green is in the discussion as the best receiver in football and Jeremy Hill/Gio Bernard are a talented one, two punch at running back.

The line on this game will probably move closer to PK by kickoff, which still means the Jets aren’t getting the 3 points for being home. This isn’t shocking. The Bengals were better than the Jets last year and have consistently been better the past 5 years. If the Jets are going to be a playoff team this season, this is the type of game they need to win at home, against a shorthanded but talented team.

2. There will be plenty of hype about Green going against Darrelle Revis but the Jets do not need to feed into it. In fact, they shouldn’t. Yes, there will be circumstances where Revis gets him one on one but for the most part, the Jets should bracket Green and use Revis to completely eliminate either Tyler Boyd or Brandon LaFell. Without Eifert, the Bengals have one player who can beat the Jets in the passing game: Green. There is no need to risk him winning one on one battles on an island. Make somebody else beat you, whether that is the mediocre LaFell or the rookie Boyd.

This doesn’t have to be a knock on Revis either. Even if Revis plays to his usual great standard, Green will make a play or two down the field. Why even open up that opportunity?

The only other primary concern in the passing game should be Bernard out of the backfield or split out. The Jets can use a combination of Buster Skrine, Marcus Gilchrist and maybe Bruce Carter to work on slowing him down. At least it won’t be Demario Davis trudging after him.

3. Offensively, the Jets are going to lean on their quick release passing game as the primary means to move the chains. It will be tough sledding running the football against this front with the Jets offensive line, who will be starting Brent Qvale or Ben Ijalana at right tackle. I don’t think the Jets will throw 40-50 times but this doesn’t feel like a game they can get away with Fitzpatrick only throwing 20-25 passes.

The Jets can supplement the running game with their screen game and with Matt Forte and Bilal Powell motioning out of the backfield as targets in the short passing game.

4. The Jets base offense features Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Quincy Enunwa at the H and another wide receiver (last year either Chris Owusu, Devin Smith or Kenbrell Thompkins) with a single back. It is likely that extra receiver will be a mix of Robby Anderson and Jalin Marshall this week. Anderson has a skill set more conducive to what the Jets usually ask that position to do (run vertical routes and clear out space for Marshall/Decker) but the Jets will get creative to utilize J. Marshall. You are likely to see some looks that feature both him and Decker in the slot or him starting a formation lined up in the backfield. The Jets UDFAs didn’t just make the roster, they are actually going to be contributors to this offense. Marshall will also likely handle the punt and kick return duties, a tall task for a rookie.

5. Look for the Jets to use more 4 man fronts than we saw last season. They are more talented and proven at defensive line (even with Sheldon Richardson out Sunday) than they are at linebacker. Lorenzo Mauldin is coming off an underwhelming preseason and Jordan Jenkins is working back from injury, so I’d expect some Mike Catapano and plenty of looks that are light on OLB usage.

6. This isn’t rocket science but if the Jets can win the turnover battle and win the special teams battle, they have enough to escape with an “upset” victory in week 1.

Pretty much have to agree with his write-up and its congruent to what I posted earlier in this thread. Jets need to keep it simple and execute w/o turning the ball over. 

I am feeling an L coming on. The last time we played this team we lost 49-9.

Green and a few warm bodies will be enough to carve up our hugely overrated secondary.

Only way that's not true is if our Sheldon-less D-line can get to Andy. Also, rookie LBs trying to handle Gio and Jeremy will be interesting.

I hope Fitz shows up.

DC

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

They're going to need to score...The offense needs to show up.  The Bengals are going to put 30 or so.  Can Fitz and crew score more than 30?  Is so, they win.

I don't see anyone putting up 30 or more on us unless we give up scores from our offense and STs.

13 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I don't see anyone putting up 30 or more on us unless we give up scores from our offense and STs.

I hope you're right, but we gave up 30 or more 4 times last year (a quarter of the season) playing an awful schedule. The Bengals offense can be explosive.  They put 30+ 7 times last year...

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I hope you're right, but we gave up 30 or more 4 times last year (a quarter of the season) playing an awful schedule. The Bengals offense can be explosive.  They put 30+ 7 times last year...

they only allowed 30 or more 2 times- at New England and at Oakland.and they should be much better in year 2 of this system.  if there is any team that can put up 30 it's the Bengals but I will be surprised if they allow 30.  we won't win if that happens.

I may be late here and may cover ground already trod.

I think this game is a good microcosm of how the Jets' season may go generally.  Macc and Bowles are doing a decent job trying to reconstruct the roster to compete effectively in the NFL of today.  Unfortunately the Bengals may be a few years ahead of the Jets in that process.  

On defense, they will obviously be tough to run on.  Eifert being out helps.  Running backs coming out of the backfield have been the Jets' fatal flaw over the past few years, and the question now is whether Lee and Carter can cover the Bengals RBs.    Hopefully the Jets can also keep the Bengals' deep threat in check.

I worry more about the Jets' offense to score enough points against the Bengals defense.  If the Jets do lose, it will be because the Jets' OL was unable to control the line of scrimmage.  To be effective they need to get the ball downfield-this requires Fitz to get time and to actually throw it.  Quick release may not necessarily be helpful because the WRs will not have gotten far enough down the field.

These AFC North teams have always caused problems for the Jets.  Very physical/smashmouth on both sides of the ball.  The Jets need to be able to play with and beat teams like.  The defense is in the neighborhood.  The OL will be the reason the Jets lose to teams like the Bengals and Steelers.

But we wait and see.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

they only allowed 30 or more 2 times- at New England and at Oakland.and they should be much better in year 2 of this system.  if there is any team that can put up 30 it's the Bengals but I will be surprised if they allow 30.  we won't win if that happens.

My fault here...I was looking at the Jets scoring for some reason....Anyway, I hope your right.  There is certainly reason to believe the Jets defense can be dominant this year.  If they're going to the playoffs they're going to need to be.  There's an awful of talent on the Jets defense right now.

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I only count the Jets having given up 30 in NE on 10/25 and the next week 34 in the Raiders game.

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

I may be late here and may cover ground already trod.

I think this game is a good microcosm of how the Jets' season may go generally.  Macc and Bowles are doing a decent job trying to reconstruct the roster to compete effectively in the NFL of today.  Unfortunately the Bengals may be a few years ahead of the Jets in that process.  

On defense, they will obviously be tough to run on.  Eifert being out helps.  Running backs coming out of the backfield have been the Jets' fatal flaw over the past few years, and the question now is whether Lee and Carter can cover the Bengals RBs.    Hopefully the Jets can also keep the Bengals' deep threat in check.

I worry more about the Jets' offense to score enough points against the Bengals defense.  If the Jets do lose, it will be because the Jets' OL was unable to control the line of scrimmage.  To be effective they need to get the ball downfield-this requires Fitz to get time and to actually throw it.  Quick release may not necessarily be helpful because the WRs will not have gotten far enough down the field.

These AFC North teams have always caused problems for the Jets.  Very physical/smashmouth on both sides of the ball.  The Jets need to be able to play with and beat teams like.  The defense is in the neighborhood.  The OL will be the reason the Jets lose to teams like the Bengals and Steelers.

But we wait and see.

This is the big problem....Fitz has a very hard time getting the ball downfield, even when he has time.  

Archived