Help a Jet noob!

Jackie Treehorn

Hi! 

I am in NY for the first time and I am going to the home opener. It would be really nice if you guys could help me out with the following questions. 

1. What is the best way to travel to MetLife on game day? (My hotel is located close to Rockefeller Center)

2. Where can I find a store with Jets stuff?

3. Any other good advice I am too much of a noob to even ask about. 

Thank you!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Hi! 

I am in NY for the first time and I am going to the home opener. It would be really nice if you guys could help me out with the following questions. 

1. What is the best way to travel to MetLife on game day? (My hotel is located close to Rockefeller Center)

Thank you!

1. What's your budget? Bus out of Port Authority gets you close/ Uber or call a car service and ask for pricing.

2. There's a Modell's not too far

233 W 42nd St
New York, NY 10036

Phone number(212) 764-7030

3. Make sure your wallet is secured deep in your person

10 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Hi! 

Thank you!

1. You're about a 15 minute walk from Penn Station. So NJ Transit.

2. All over the city. Any Modells. Stadium is going to be overpriced. Honestly anything you'll buy you can get online for much cheaper anyways.

3. Walk around the tailgate like Flounder asking random people what they're doing.

5 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Thanks for the fast and great answers! I realize it probably is not the most exciting topic for you. 

I forgot one q: how long before the game do you recommend being there?

Like RJF stated.... PM @MaxAF or @Maxman and I'm sure they can hook you up with someone from the board.

Kick in $20 bucks and I'm sure they can get you several beers and some great BB

29 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Hi! 

Thank you!

1 whatever way GPS tells you

2 any store that sells sports stuff

3 eat drink and be merry. Don't boo geno for the sake of booing geno that's for tools. Boo him if he plays bad that day.

1 hour ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Thanks for the fast and great answers! I realize it probably is not the most exciting topic for you. 

Welcome to the board. Definitely get there early on game day. Hours early. I would plan on going into the stadium 1.5 - 2 hours before kickoff if it was my first time there I would go look at all the Metlife Central stuff inside the stadium. ESPN broadcasts from there, the flight crew is usually there with a player signing autographs. Definitely give yourself some time to check out the stadium.

That will give you plenty of time to get to your seats and check out warmups etc.  Good luck and have fun!

Didn't realize you were from out of the country. On NJ Transit, you will have to change trains in Secaucus to get to the game. The second train drops you off literally right in front of the stadium. My advice to you is to walk to New York Penn Station, which is under Madison Square Garden (yes, under), and follow the signs for NJ Transit. Once there find the ticket desk. Don't buy from the kiosks as you might confuse yourself. Tell the person behind the counter that you need a ticket to the Meadowlands and you need some help with directions. They'll point you the right way.

Definitely take NJ Transit though. It's the easiest from where you are. 

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Didn't realize you were from out of the country. On NJ Transit, you will have to change trains in Secaucus to get to the game. The second train drops you off literally right in front of the stadium. My advice to you is to walk to New York Penn Station, which is under Madison Square Garden (yes, under), and follow the signs for NJ Transit. Once there find the ticket desk. Don't buy from the kiosks as you might confuse yourself. Tell the person behind the counter that you need a ticket to the Meadowlands and you need some help with directions. They'll point you the right way.

Definitely take NJ Transit though. It's the easiest from where you are. 

The bus will drop him off right outside the Parking lots off Rte 3 if I remember correctly.

Just walk the 1/2 mile to the gates

1 hour ago, naturalscience said:

1 whatever way GPS tells you

I am not sure how often you travel abroad, but you would be shocked at how hard it can be to follow your GPS in another part of the world. Streets and addresses work differently depending where you are and it can be quite the vexing endeavor trying to follow your phone. 

1 hour ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

if you want to tailgate, I would say 2-3 hours.  If not, 1 hour.

@joebabyny  runs a mean tailgate I am told and I hope to see it myself in November

you can check back here on gameday to find out where they will be

If you buy a jersey from Modell's

Go with # 14 Fitzpatrick # 15 Marshall # 22 Forte  # 50 Lee # 74 Mangold   # 87 Decker # 74   # 96 Wilkerson

Stay away from # 7 Smith - he sucks and you will get booed. You don't want that.

Enjoy the game.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, BRONX DUDE said:

If you buy a jersey from Modell's

Go with # 14 Fitzpatrick # 15 Marshall # 22 Forte  # 50 Lee # 74 Mangold   # 87 Decker # 74   # 96 Wilkerson

Stay away from # 7 Smith - he sucks and you will get booed. You don't want that.

Enjoy the game.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget Kellen Davis #47 or Breno Giacomini #68

Haha thanks for all the replies! I might be from Sweden but I still have some common sense to separate the very good answers from the very funny answers. ?To sum up. Train from Penn station, arrive a couple of hours before the game in a Fitzmagic jersey. (Mostly because he is a Seinfeld fan.) Or maybe a Wilkerson one, he seems pretty mean. 

9 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Haha thanks for all the replies! I might be from Sweden but I still have some common sense to separate the very good answers from the very funny answers. ?To sum up. Train from Penn station, arrive a couple of hours before the game in a Fitzmagic jersey. (Mostly because he is a Seinfeld fan.) Or maybe a Wilkerson one, he seems pretty mean. 

There's an IKEA not far from the stadium for a taste of home...

2 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Hi! 

Thank you!

Here's what you should do:

Transportation:  With the amount of time/money you've invested on this trip don't mess with a bus or a train.  Use Uber, get a car out to the stadium.  When the game is over, have that same driver pick you up or find one of the dozens that will find you at the stadium as you exit right by the Verizon gate (adjacent to the train station).  In the end, Uber will cost you a few dollars more but will be far easier and comfortable.

Jets Merchandise:  As others are recommending, go to Modell's, there are several around the city.  There is a very big Modell's right near Madison Square Garden at 33rd Street and 7th Avenue, and if you don't find something there walk along Macy's up 34th Street, cross Broadway, and walk the long block on 34th between Broadway and 5th Avenue and there are a ton of shops selling sporting goods with plenty of Jets stuff.

Field Warmups:  The ushers on the lower level of MetLife Stadium are very lenient when it comes to letting first-time fans watch the pregame warmups from the first row right on the 40 yard line.  Arrive at the Stadium so you can get in when the gates open at 11AM.  Walk in the pedestrian plaza until you see the large 50 yard line logo, you can't miss it, and then walk into the stadium, through the large food court, and down the stairs.  There will be a few food concessions down there.  Then walk up any one of the stairways in front of you and that will put you into the lower level of the stadium where you tell an usher "it's my first time at a Jets game" and they'll let you hang out for an hour and watch the warmups from 10 feet away.

Jets Merchandise:  The single best place to find hats, t-shirts, hoodies, jerseys. etc. is in the Jets team store which is back out on the pedestrian plaza near that 50 yard line logo and the club entrance.  The prices aren't that bad.  Selection is amazing and if you want a custom jersey they'll make it for you on the spot, takes like 10 minutes.

Enjoy.

SAR I

Archived