Fitz is hot garbage.

Embrace the Suck

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

So what's your solution if not Fitz?

I think it's less about a better solution and more about Fitz consistency. Fitz had a beast game on Thursday night, I'd go as far as saying it was his best game as a jet and arguably of his career. The problem is the expectation of him being consistently that qb over being the inconsistent qb that ends up being average when looking at the total stats at the end of the year. I'm not saying we need him to throw for 400 yards every game, that's not him, but we do need the "better Fitz" on a consistent basis. If not then I would rather see our young guys play instead of a guy that we try to sign to a 3 year deal in which 2 of those years would be "mentor" salary.

Fitz played his ass off on Thursday, yet his consistency is still a question mark.

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I think it's less about a better solution and more about Fitz consistency. Fitz had a beast game on Thursday night, I'd go as far as saying it was his best game as a jet and arguably of his career. The problem is the expectation of him being consistently that qb over being the inconsistent qb that ends up being average when looking at the total stats at the end of the year. I'm not saying we need him to throw for 400 yards every game, that's not him, but we do need the "better Fitz" on a consistent basis. If not then I would rather see our young guys play instead of a guy that we try to sign to a 3 year deal in which 2 of those years would be "mentor" salary.

Fitz played his ass off on Thursday, yet his consistency is still a question mark.

He played well most of last season including a 5 game winning streak where he looked alot like Thursday's game.  Overall he had 31 TDs and 15 INTs.  That included the final Buffalo game where he had 3 INTs at very critical times.  Not sure what happened that game, but it was an anomaly last year.  I think he was Ok in the Cincy game playing against a very talented Bengals team.  There were alot of other reasons why they lost that game.  For example: Folk, Revis and not being able to punch the ball across the goal line on a couple of occassions.  Let's see what the rest of the season has in store.

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think that Petty would perform as well as Fitz at least with all the weapons.

That said Fitz had a terrific game Thursday and if he can continue that level we could go places/

Glad you're coming around.

Regarding Petty, if you were the head coach for the NY Jets would you pull Fitz, and replace him with Petty now, or even at the beginning of the season?  You may say yes to the beginning of the season, but somehow I don't think you would have.  Petty's time will come, just not this season and if the Jets make the playoffs this year Fitz will be back as the starter with Petty as the backup. 

I know it's strange to see for anyone who's been a Jets fan for any length of time, but this front office has a plan and they are executing on it.  They are thinking long term and right now they have 3 young cheap backup QBs and are hoping one of two (Geno will be gone after this year) emerge over the next 2 years.  I wouldn't be surprised if we draft another QB next year so we keep the pipeline fresh and keep 4 QBs again. 

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

i just do not find that a true statememt. He was not that good even in his good stretch,

Most of the beginning of the season the Jets were finding themselves.  New GM, new HC, new OC, new QB, new receivers, once they hit their slide they played well.  Fitz really came through in crunch time in the Giants and Pats game. 

Just don't know what happened to him against Buffalo and for the life of me I can't understand why Ivory was on the bench for so much of the game after reeling off a 50+ yard run.  It's almost like he had a clause in his contract that they didn't want him to exceed. 

27 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think that Petty would perform as well as Fitz at least with all the weapons.

That said Fitz had a terrific game Thursday and if he can continue that level we could go places/

I thought the same thing about Geno Smith and in reality Fitzpatrick might have the edge based on experience and intelligence. 

44 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

He played well most of last season including a 5 game winning streak where he looked alot like Thursday's game.  Overall he had 31 TDs and 15 INTs.  That included the final Buffalo game where he had 3 INTs at very critical times.  Not sure what happened that game, but it was an anomaly last year.  I think he was Ok in the Cincy game playing against a very talented Bengals team.  There were alot of other reasons why they lost that game.  For example: Folk, Revis and not being able to punch the ball across the goal line on a couple of occassions.  Let's see what the rest of the season has in store.

Fitz played well from what Jets fans are used to and he played well against sub 500. teams, which is what we mostly played against. I know what his stats were but his final game against the Bills wasnt an anomaly. He had 3 or 4 games last season where he ended the game with a pick. I dont expect our season to be a cake walk as it was last season. The start of this season looks very similar to what it was last year. He played subpar against better teams in the league (Bengals) and looked spectacular against teams expected to be a sub 500. team (Bills). Sure, you can say that his Bills game this year looked similar to what he looked like last year, but you and I both know that we can also say that his Bengals game looked similar as well. This is my concern. The inconsistency is a contributing factor on why we missed the playoffs. 

I understand what you're saying, and im not here to take away anything that Fitz did in that Bills game, and I dont want to bring up certain things because I dont want my explanation to be misunderstood as me trying to take away from his performance. Fitz holds a place in my fandom. One of my best Jets memories was last years Dec. 27th game against the Pats. With that said, my concern (I wont say "his problem") is his consistency. Fitz needs to be consistent. He put up those stats last year but the guy was inconsistent, especially against AFC teams. we lost 6 games last year, 5 were against AFC teams and 1 of those 5 he got injured in and couldnt finish. I think 4 of those games ended with him throwing a pick on the Jets final drive.

That's very similar to this year. He ended the Bengals game with a pick (AFC team), then turned around and blew the doors off a team who has yet to get a win. 

Looking at the stats dont tell the story about how those stats were established. Im talking about his consistency. 

31 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Glad you're coming around.

Regarding Petty, if you were the head coach for the NY Jets would you pull Fitz, and replace him with Petty now, or even at the beginning of the season?  You may say yes to the beginning of the season, but somehow I don't think you would have.  Petty's time will come, just not this season and if the Jets make the playoffs this year Fitz will be back as the starter with Petty as the backup. 

I know it's strange to see for anyone who's been a Jets fan for any length of time, but this front office has a plan and they are executing on it.  They are thinking long term and right now they have 3 young cheap backup QBs and are hoping one of two (Geno will be gone after this year) emerge over the next 2 years.  I wouldn't be surprised if we draft another QB next year so we keep the pipeline fresh and keep 4 QBs again. 

I would have started Fitz game one. I just think he is more talented and capable. Jets don't at this point. 

19 hours ago, De-Jet-Erate/Duane said:

I never thought about it before but you are right. You don't see anyone with a Fitzpatrick jersey on. Very interesting point. I did however see three Hack jerseys at the game last Sunday and that surprised me too.

And it's no knock on Fitzpatrick, just a testimony to the fact that we all know he's a transitional stop-gap quarterback.

SAR I

19 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Yet to be proven Fitz can beat quality teams, but if the Jets can get two wins out of the next four...  everyone can call me the most simple minded fool here.  Because I'll believe we then have a shot at a decent playoff run.  And that's all ya can ask for.  Once you're a legitimate playoff team, anything can happen.

If Fitz's track record (of not beating good teams) holds though, it's a complete waste having him as QB.

He won't win a playoff game, if he was meant to be a playoff quarterback he'd have made it by now.

However, it's not going to be a complete waste having him as a QB.  He's going to be a great mentor to Petty/Hack in the years to come, he'll gracefully take a backup job as a prelude to becoming a QB coach.  And here in the present, he's helping our young WR's develop with quality throws, keeping our wily veteran WR's content with plenty of touches, it's all good.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

He won't win a playoff game, if he was meant to be a playoff quarterback he'd have made it by now.

However, it's not going to be a complete waste having him as a QB.  He's going to be a great mentor to Petty/Hack in the years to come, he'll gracefully take a backup job as a prelude to becoming a QB coach.  And here in the present, he's helping our young WR's develop with quality throws, keeping our wily veteran WR's content with plenty of touches, it's all good.

SAR I

SAR I he's not your average QB when it comes to his smartness he's been around the NFL his career is winding down the Jets are his last hurrah I see him being more motivated then ever to get us into the playoffs this season at least I hope so anyway. 

18 hours ago, Warfish said:

Ordering my Fitz jersey today.

Will look great next to my Patrick Ramsey jersey.

Remind me, did you pre-order a Jets Jersey with Lienert on it or no?  

I kid, I kid.

But in all seriousness, you do know Villian has a Jets Jersey with "Glennon" on the back, right?

P1_zps416xpyyi.jpg

P2_zpszivvzrvm.jpg

P3_zpsv5or53cf.jpg

P4_zpsaffzfrto.jpg

Nah, no Leinart.  I had the first Chad Pennington jersey, ordered it from Cosby's at MSG, guy who took my order didn't know who he was.  Wore it to opening day 2000 at Green Bay, never will forget the look Ray Lucas shot at me as I shouted at him "good job last year Ray!" in his replacement's jersey, my friend took a photo to remember it by.

After that jersey was retired, I got a Revis Titans jersey and a Bart Scott jersey and that's it.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

SAR I he's not your average QB when it comes to his smartness he's been around the NFL his career is winding down the Jets are his last hurrah I see him being more motivated then ever to get us into the playoffs this season at least I hope so anyway. 

I buy all of that, and yes, his pocket presence and reading ability has to be among the tops in the league, but some guys have that January eye of the tiger and some don't.  I'm afraid he's a don't.

SAR I

36 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Fitz played well from what Jets fans are used to and he played well against sub 500. teams, which is what we mostly played against. I know what his stats were but his final game against the Bills wasnt an anomaly. He had 3 or 4 games last season where he ended the game with a pick. I dont expect our season to be a cake walk as it was last season. The start of this season looks very similar to what it was last year. He played subpar against better teams in the league (Bengals) and looked spectacular against teams expected to be a sub 500. team (Bills). Sure, you can say that his Bills game this year looked similar to what he looked like last year, but you and I both know that we can also say that his Bengals game looked similar as well. This is my concern. The inconsistency is a contributing factor on why we missed the playoffs. 

I understand what you're saying, and im not here to take away anything that Fitz did in that Bills game, and I dont want to bring up certain things because I dont want my explanation to be misunderstood as me trying to take away from his performance. Fitz holds a place in my fandom. One of my best Jets memories was last years Dec. 27th game against the Pats. With that said, my concern (I wont say "his problem") is his consistency. Fitz needs to be consistent. He put up those stats last year but the guy was inconsistent, especially against AFC teams. we lost 6 games last year, 5 were against AFC teams and 1 of those 5 he got injured in and couldnt finish. I think 4 of those games ended with him throwing a pick on the Jets final drive.

That's very similar to this year. He ended the Bengals game with a pick (AFC team), then turned around and blew the doors off a team who has yet to get a win. 

Looking at the stats dont tell the story about how those stats were established. Im talking about his consistency. 

Some good comments here, however I think ending the game with a pick is a common occurrence in a losing situation. 

Last year Fitz proved he can have a winning season.  This year he has an opportunity to prove he can beat above .500 teams and can be more consistent.  Now that we have pretty much the same team going into their second year, I think he will.

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I buy all of that, and yes, his pocket presence and reading ability has to be among the tops in the league, but some guys have that January eye of the tiger and some don't.  I'm afraid he's a don't.

SAR I

Rocky Rocky Rocky oops ment Fitzy Fitzy Fitzy

27 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I would have started Fitz game one. I just think he is more talented and capable. Jets don't at this point. 

When you say he I take it you're talking about Petty.  From my perspective Petty may be overall more talented from the perspective of athleticism and arm strength, but Fitz is a very smart and experienced QB and that goes a long way in this league.  You seldomly see Fitz make bad decisions, and in football the outcome of a game is often dictated by who screws up the least.  Petty will get his shot, but right now Fitz is the better.

31 minutes ago, SAR I said:

And it's no knock on Fitzpatrick, just a testimony to the fact that we all know he's a transitional stop-gap quarterback.

SAR I

That's correct, but as long as he's winning he'll be in there.  We make the playoffs this year, he'll be our starter next year.  I'm hoping his transitional period is an extended one, though I would like to see the young guys play. 

1 hour ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Some good comments here, however I think ending the game with a pick is a common occurrence in a losing situation. 

Last year Fitz proved he can have a winning season.  This year he has an opportunity to prove he can beat above .500 teams and can be more consistent.  Now that we have pretty much the same team going into their second year, I think he will.

He has an opportunity to show it, but he must actually do it. Sure, I can see how in many situations a game where the qb is on a last drive can end in a pick, but that doesn't take away the fact that inconsistency is inconsistency. I'll admit, though I believe that Fitz season had ALOT to do with an overall better team as a whole, I have to admit that his play in general was better than I expected. 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I recently gave a few jerseys to the local goodwill store T. Jones,B.Scott,Cromartie,Tomlinson the guy collecting the stuff said aw man are you sure I said yesiree. 

I have an 81 Keller I might buy a new name plate for ENUNWA :D

Scary to think that Enunwa will actually be better than Keller was. That kid looked like he was going to be decent. Guess not.

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

i just do not find that a true statememt. He was not that good even in his good stretch,

Will disagree with you here

He deserves blame for $h*tting the bed in the 4th quarter week 17 last year with the game on the line.

He also deserves credit for directing his team to wins in the 4th quarters the previous 5 weeks with the games on the line.

your dislike clouds your vision and blocks you for being fair with this

2 hours ago, ljr said:

Will disagree with you here

He deserves blame for $h*tting the bed in the 4th quarter week 17 last year with the game on the line.

He also deserves credit for directing his team to wins in the 4th quarters the previous 5 weeks with the games on the line.

your dislike clouds your vision and blocks you for being fair with this

There's clouds everywhere. Some may discredit but others exaggerate. Kinda like when you hear how Fitz broke a whole bunch of Jets records, when it was really like 1 record lol.  

Fitz had his moments, but the teams we played were mediocre for the most part, we lost a handful of AFC games and missed the playoffs. 

His December stretch was exciting...credit, however that stretch from late October to late November (1-4) and January games....not so much. 

People always reflect back to that sweep of the month of December while ignoring the fact that we missed the playoffs not just because of the 4th qtr of week 17, rather because we had a 5 week stretch where Fitz won a total of 1 football game. We lost 25% of our seasons games in just 5 weeks. 

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

There's clouds everywhere. Some may discredit but others exaggerate. Kinda like when you hear how Fitz broke a whole bunch of Jets records, when it was really like 1 record lol.  

Fitz had his moments, but the teams we played were mediocre for the most part, we lost a handful of AFC games and missed the playoffs. 

His December stretch was epic...credit, however that stretch from late October to late November (1-4) and January games....not so much. 

Whether they were records or not ... Taking 2015  week 1 - week 17 as a whole he put up much better numbers than anyone besides the b*tt-lickingest *$$ki$$ing Fitzmagic fans (if there even are such a thing) ever could have hoped for.

the teams we played were the teams on the schedule ... As other threads posted today talk about ... On any given Sunday anything can happen

agreed he had a poor stretch of games earlier in the year

(if by saying "January games" you mean just week 17 ... Agreed as well)

23 minutes ago, ljr said:

Whether they were records or not ... Taking 2015  week 1 - week 17 as a whole he put up much better numbers than anyone besides the b*tt-lickingest *$$ki$$ing Fitzmagic fans (if there even are such a thing) ever could have hoped for.

the teams we played were the teams on the schedule ... As other threads posted today talk about ... On any given Sunday anything can happen

agreed he had a poor stretch of games earlier in the year

(if by saying "January games" you mean just week 17 ... Agreed as well)

We'll now you're talking something different. If you take his stats for the entire season then sure, based on what Jets fans are used to they're impressive, but performance wise he was still average at best when comparing him to other QB's in the league. He wasn't a probowler or a top 100 player. This isn't fantasy where stats mean everything. Stats tell part of the story. Watching how the stats occurred gives a clearer understanding.

Sure, Fitz can only play the schedule given, but based on the fact that we went 4-12 the season prior he was playing a last place schedule which ended up being the 2nd or 3rd easiest schedule last year. Just because he can only play the schedule given doesn't change the quality of the schedule he played, which was a last place schedule. That's just a fact. 

Lastly, I didn't just say January games, I mentioned more games prior to that in the same sentence without separating them so I had to sum up my point with it being plural. 

10 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

We'll now you're talking something different. If you take his stats for the entire season then sure, based on what Jets fans are used to they're impressive, but performance wise he was still average at best when comparing him to other QB's in the league. He wasn't a probowler or a top 100 player. This isn't fantasy where stats mean everything. Stats tell part of the story. Watching how the stats occurred gives a clearer understanding.

Sure, Fitz can only play the schedule given, but based on the fact that we went 4-12 the season prior he was playing a last place schedule which ended up being the 2nd or 3rd easiest schedule last year. Just because he can only play the schedule given doesn't change the quality of the schedule he played, which was a last place schedule. That's just a fact. 

Lastly, I didn't just say January games, I mentioned more games prior to that in the same sentence without separating them so I had to sum up my point with it being plural. 

Please stop.  Your boy Geno will be off the team next year. If we are lucky, he never takes another meaningful snap for the NY Jets. 

Fitz is our QB1. Get on board or GTFO. 

Archived