"Top 5 defense"

kevinc855

That has been my main theme. Three times they gave up better than 10 yards on 3rd down to keep Bengals drives alive. This secondary is awful. Williams won't tackle anyone and neither will Gilchrist who was responsible for the long TD pass to Green. He was supposed to provide deep help to Revis but fell asleep. Jets need to draft nothing but CB's and safeties next year. Calvin Pryor cannot cover anyone in space and Gilchrist  is a waste of oxygen.

Been a franchise that comes up short when it matters most for quite some time. Particularly getting defensive stops when it matters most. Happened frequently in the Rex era and it's carrying over. I suppose one could make the case that if the offense wasn't below average for the past 10 years, we wouldn't have to rely on the defense so much in the clutch, and that's fair. But we haven't spent 8 gazillion first rounders on offense in that time, and we haven't hired offensive minded coaches either.

Defense is what the Jets draft for, it's what we pay for, and it's what we hire for. And if they can't come up when it matters the most, at the end of the 4th quarter, then it is time to start thinking about building this franchise another way.

Being a great defense-even one with 7sacks-means a lot less than it used to. The NFL rules are geared toward scoring offense. Any defense is gonna fail a few times every game. Not saying it's not important, and better to have a good defense than a crappy one. But you need to score points. And more and more defense-oriented coaches don't always grasp that. 

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

Been a franchise that comes up short when it matters most for quite some time. Particularly getting defensive stops when it matters most. Happened frequently in the Rex era and it's carrying over. I suppose one could make the case that if the offense wasn't below average for the past 10 years, we wouldn't have to rely on them, and that's fair. But we haven't spent 8 gazillion first rounders on offense in that time, and we haven't hired offensive minded coaches either.

Defense is what the Jets draft for, it's what we pay for, and it's what we hire for. And if they can't come up when it matters the most, at the end of the 4th quarter, then it is time to start thinking about building this franchise another way.

Most of those picks were bad picks.

1 minute ago, bassmaster2 said:

the secondary sucks ,cost the jets the game

I disagree with this assessment .

IMO, 4 things cost us the game :

1 - suspect play calling in the red zone on our 1st scoring drive

2 - Blocked chip shot FG by an experience kicker

3 - Missed extra point by an experience kicker .

4 - 3rd and 18, you play man to man and you don't blitz giving up a huge  pass play to a Journeyman Receiver .

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I disagree with this assessment .

IMO, 4 things cost us the game :

1 - suspect play calling in the red zone on our 1st scoring drive

2 - Blocked chip shot FG by an experience kicker

3 - Missed extra point by an experience kicker .

4 - 3rd and 18, you play man to man and you don't blitz giving up a huge  pass play to a Journeyman Receiver .

Green was beating Revis all game long ,the guy can not cover 1 on 1

Most of game they were throwing quick passes behind the one of scrimmage.  Their other receivers were engaging our defenders before the pass was thrown quite often.  That used to be a penalty. I could be wrong.

All in all, a tough loss to swallow.  Yes, Cincy is a good team but we had this one won and we let it get away.  With our schedule, we can't give away games like this, specially against AFC teams.  We missed the playoffs last year on a tie breaker.  With road games against KC and Pitt, we have our work cut out for us.

If folk doesn't miss an extra point were in overtime, if our fieldgoal doesnt get blocked we win. If we score a touchdown on the f*cking 2 yard line instead of a fieldgoal we win. If brandon marshall catches that pass at the end we might have won. The defense wasnt the problem. At least not the biggest problem. We couldnt capitalize on that turnover either. Goddamit this ruined my week. Sorry for the rant guys. F*ck.

Archived