Jets stoped them at 1:05 called timeout at 58 seconds

Jetsbb

25 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I will not believe that until it is shown that he was not calling time out. I have seen many cases where the refs delay the call for a few seconds due to recognition. 

Bowles did not have that type of problem last year. In fact most of his timeout decisions worked out last year 

Most coaches stand right behind the referee, and oftentimes give them an indication that they are going to call timeout. Do you need proof of that too? 

4 minutes ago, shevys said:

Most coaches stand right behind the referee, and oftentimes give them an indication that they are going to call timeout. Do you need proof of that too? 

Fair point. And the people at the game said that he had to call time out. At the end of the day, it really didnt get to the point to make a difference. I still think they would have had enough time to get down there, Especially in this NFL.

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

but we should have won comfortably.  Bowles had a bad 2016 debut.

We were 2.5 point underdogs for a reason. We were not winning that comfortably.

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

you do realize this is week 1 right :) 

Cheating or no cheating the Pats are probably the best coached team in the NFL and over a long period of time no one is even close so I'm not sure why you would call them inferior.

This was also our first game and way too many people here are taking this as if its the end of the world. Yes the Bengals are a damn good football team loaded with talent and we played them tough and we beat them down for most of the game but you can't keep giving up big play after big play when the answers on how to stop it is staring you right in the face namely AJ Green. Our offensive and defensive lines made us look dominant the rest of the team including the coaches let us down.

People are acting like this is a playoff team. This is a 7-8 win team. That;s who they are. And this game is the prime example of that. Good enough to beat on bad teams and some good teams. Cant beat the great teams

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Fair point. And the people at the game said that he had to call time out. At the end of the day, it really didnt get to the point to make a difference. I still think they would have had enough time to get down there, Especially in this NFL.

We were 2.5 point underdogs for a reason. We were not winning that comfortably.

I am not talking about going into that game, I am talking about how the game was played.  we should have easily won by double digits if not for some glaring coaching mistakes and mistakes by some of our players.  it should never have come down to a late FG,

23 minutes ago, JiF said:

Oh yeah.  It was a problem for sure.  The Philly and first Pats game come to mind.  Poor clock management and bad kick off decisions.  3 Time outs kicking an onside in the Philly game.   Not using a time out vs. the Pats and instead trying to spike a ball that led to a false start. There were others too, those just stand out. 

It's not being lazy.  It's lack of awareness. 

Our kicker missed 4 points. Bad secondary and coaching mistakes and all, if he makes those kicks, we win the game

10 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

you do realize this is week 1 right :) 

Cheating or no cheating the Pats are probably the best CHEATING team in the NFL and over a long period of time no one is even close so I'm not sure why you would call them inferior.

This was also our first game and way too many people here are taking this as if its the end of the world. Yes the Bengals are a damn good football team loaded with talent and we played them tough and we beat them down for most of the game but you can't keep giving up big play after big play when the answers on how to stop it is staring you right in the face namely AJ Green. Our offensive and defensive lines made us look dominant the rest of the team including the coaches let us down.

Fixed.

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Our kicker missed 4 points. Bad secondary and coaching mistakes and all, if he makes those kicks, we win the game

Not sure what that has to do with poor clock management but sure.  IF he made those kicks, maybe they win.  Or maybe the Bengals storm down the field and score a TD instead of clearly settling for a FG to win.

wasn't there a bigger clock management problem.  I'm pretty sure bowles took their last timeout at just under a minute left to ice the kicker.  NOBODY ices the kicker with valuable time outs that should have been available for the final drive. the difference between having a timeout and not in a one-minute drill is HUGE!!!  Couldn't believe he did that.  I like Bowles but he really needs time-management lessons.  Eerily reminded me of Rex who had awful game-day skills.

51 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

People are acting like this is a playoff team. This is a 7-8 win team. That;s who they are. And this game is the prime example of that. Good enough to beat on bad teams and some good teams. Cant beat the great teams

This is a playoff team, the biggest problem, and I hate to say it is this team makes too many mistakes and that includes the coaching staff. We have plenty of talent to win thats why we basically manhandled a 13 win team on Sunday. We lost that game on stupidity rather than talent and all I have to say is this staff needs to get their heads out of their asses and learn to adjust to what other teams are doing. This is not on the talent.

I like Todd Bowles but Im not that impressed with his clock management nor his game plans on defense. When a defensive line dominates to the level we did yesterday NO WAY IN HELL should a team throw for 366 yards and get burned for 180 by AJ Green. When your Defensive line plays like that do you really need to blitz ? The short answer is NO you don't which means you can drop more into coverage and prevent exactly what happened to us.

46 minutes ago, goldster said:

wasn't there a bigger clock management problem.  I'm pretty sure bowles took their last timeout at just under a minute left to ice the kicker.  NOBODY ices the kicker with valuable time outs that should have been available for the final drive. the difference between having a timeout and not in a one-minute drill is HUGE!!!  Couldn't believe he did that.  I like Bowles but he really needs time-management lessons.  Eerily reminded me of Rex who had awful game-day skills.

he didn't all the TO to ice the kicker, he called it so we had some time in case they made it.  the problem was he let a valuable 8 secs or so elapse before calling TO.  they wasted TOs in the 3rd, one on D and one on O.  TOs in the 2nd half of close games are precious, we need to stop wasting them.

Archived