Who gets most of the blame for the loss this week?

Kevin L

Who gets most of the blame for the loss this week?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Blame-o-meter

Players make mistakes, miss kicks, etc.

I am most disgusted by the coaching failure to deal with AJ Green.  He was the only player they HAD to take out of the game.   I would have thought they learned their lesson from the Sammy Watkins fiasco week 17 last year.

Apparently not.  Really maddening and inexcusable.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

The Jets lost by one. If Folk hits either his FG or his PAT it is a different story. Especially if he hits both as he should have. Everything else is just what happened in a football game.

No way you can blame this on Folk.

Despite the early game guffaws, the Jets offense and the Jets special teams had us up by 2 at the 2 minute warning and the Bengals 50 yards from a long FG attempt and the Jets defense, specifically the secondary, blew the game.  Whether up by 20 or up by 2, the Jets defense should be capable of stopping one set of desperation downs and holding on for a win.  They didn't.  The secondary blew this game.

SAR I

I didn't vote for Folk only because after a brutal start he kicked 3 straight FGs plus he had a new holder. But we all know he's usually a good PK who can make a 50 yarder and then miss a 20 yarder. It's kind of like a Qb throwing picks on his first two passes and then later having a good game. It takes toughness to rebound after a terrible start like that. I give my vote to the secondary. They have no excuses a big time pass rush and 7 sacks and they still give up big plays. We know Green is great but he had 180 yards. And LaFell an average Wr carved them up. The Bengals lost 2 very good receivers to free agency. So they aren't as good as they were last year. 

With this schedule, the Jets need to have a quick stike offensive capability. In the PS Robby Anderson would bring that to them. Unfortunately, that is a severe limitation with Fitz. The Jets needed one quick strike during the game and that would have made a differnce. 

It always comes down to the QB, always. The Jets are hindered there. Can you imagine if Dalton had the Jets weapons? The Bengals would win by 25 points. No way would I have provided Fitz $12MM. The players cannot run the franchise. Do you think Decker and Marshall would have both quit if Smith or Petty would have battled for the primary spot this season?

Fitz is what he is; a severe underperformer masquerading as a starter for the QB starved NY Jets. 

So much blame to spread around. Folk is the easiest to blame because he blew two kicks that could have won the game. He sh*t the bed, there is no getting around that. However, I expect this was a unique situation and he will get back to being the reliable kicker he has been for the past several years.

We can pick out a lot of lesser issues that collectively were problems but if we had won wouldn't have the board in fits (Fitz?) right now; but the most alarming problem is the way the game was coached. No adjustments on defense and awful red zone offensive plays. It's put us in the same position we have been for the past several years of getting downfield but then having to settle for FGs and the defense not being able to make key stops. That's a real problem, as we saw today, when the kicker has a sh*t game. The players are who they are; the coaching staff needs to plan and adjust around their performance rather than just hoping they will perform with flawlessly elite play every down. 

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Kacy Rodgers. Said it last season, you don't give the keys to a Porsche to someone with a learners permit.

You cannot continue to give the keys to someone who hits every pothole either. The Jets have an issue at QB. Dalton missed 7 passes today and was sacked 7 times. 

16 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Fitz is what he is; a severe underperformer masquerading as a starter for the QB starved NY Jets. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a middle-of-the-road NFL starter on the wrong side of 30 with a weak arm.

The reason he is a New York Jet is because Mike Tannenbaum and John Idzik blew the QB position by either drafting badly (Smith, Boyd, McElroy, Ainge, Clemens, Bollinger) or not developing the only promising one on the roster (Sanchez).  It's not like they passed up some fantastic free agent QB or passed over a fantastic draft opportunity. 

Fitzpatrick isn't "masquerading", we all know what he is.  Whether right or wrong, he's been the best available QB option for the Jets since Maccagnan took over, nothing we can really do, franchise QB's don't grow on trees and Petty and Hackenberg aren't ready yet.

SAR I

28 minutes ago, SAR I said:

+1

That said, we do have a world-class defensive line and the LB's appear to be faster and ultimately will cover better.  Next year Maccagnan will revamp the secondary and the D will be complete.  As for the O, that's up to Petty or Hack or whomever we draft in April.  It's why the sooner we give the ball to Petty the better, validate him now and not have question marks in the offseason.

SAR I

He revamped the secondary a year ago.

20 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No way you can blame this on Folk.

Despite the early game guffaws, the Jets offense and the Jets special teams had us up by 2 at the 2 minute warning and the Bengals 50 yards from a long FG attempt and the Jets defense, specifically the secondary, blew the game.  Whether up by 20 or up by 2, the Jets defense should be capable of stopping one set of desperation downs and holding on for a win.  They didn't.  The secondary blew this game.

SAR I

Agreed

7 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

With this schedule, the Jets need to have a quick stike offensive capability. In the PS Robby Anderson would bring that to them. Unfortunately, that is a severe limitation with Fitz. The Jets needed one quick strike during the game and that would have made a differnce. 

It always comes down to the QB, always. The Jets are hindered there. Can you imagine if Dalton had the Jets weapons? The Bengals would win by 25 points. No way would I have provided Fitz $12MM. The players cannot run the franchise. Do you think Decker and Marshall would have both quit if Smith or Petty would have battled for the primary spot this season?

Fitz was ok and you know it. As do the guys on SNY who if Fitz would have sucked they would have roasted him. It's not always on the Qb, if things work out they have big statistical days other games based on what the D gives them they just manage a game. Sure he could have made more plays same with everyone like Marshall. But he ran the O satisfactorily and didn't screw anything up and kept them in the game. This game was what most of us thought it would be a close contest. I predicted Jets winning 20-17 as did most other posters who predicted a FG or so difference. 

Cushion Revis will hurt us every time he's got to cover a legit #1 - which will be more than a few games.

Won't blame Folk for missing the first PAT of his career - the 4 points he cost us were a distant second to what the most expensive scorch back in football squandered.

29 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Fitz was ok and you know it. As do the guys on SNY who if Fitz would have sucked they would have roasted him. It's not always on the Qb, if things work out they have big statistical days other games based on what the D gives them they just manage a game. Sure he could have made more plays same with everyone like Marshall. But he ran the O satisfactorily and didn't screw anything up and kept them in the game. This game was what most of us thought it would be a close contest. I predicted Jets winning 20-17 as did most other posters who predicted a FG or so difference. 

19/35 2/1 189 that is OK? No deep ball. No quick strike threat. I stated this all off-season that the Jets would need the threat of the deep pass. It did show in the PS. Just not with Fitz as the QB. 

37 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a middle-of-the-road NFL starter on the wrong side of 30 with a weak arm.

The reason he is a New York Jet is because Mike Tannenbaum and John Idzik blew the QB position by either drafting badly (Smith, Boyd, McElroy, Ainge, Clemens, Bollinger) or not developing the only promising one on the roster (Sanchez).  It's not like they passed up some fantastic free agent QB or passed over a fantastic draft opportunity. 

Fitzpatrick isn't "masquerading", we all know what he is.  Whether right or wrong, he's been the best available QB option for the Jets since Maccagnan took over, nothing we can really do, franchise QB's don't grow on trees and Petty and Hackenberg aren't ready yet.

SAR I

Dak Prescott. Mac has now had two drafts. We need to see these young men play. You can have your opinion. It does not make it fact regarding Fitz. He is masquerading. The Jets will not win a SB with him as QB

42 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He revamped the secondary a year ago.

The assumption was that Revis was 3-4 years from the abyss and its unfortunately coming sooner than anyone expected. Revis is our #1 back there and he is assigned to the #1 WR and if he isn't up to the task there is no solution.  

Now, blame Maccagnan if you thought Revis was done when he was fresh off the Super Bowl and signed.  If not, he's as surprised as you and me how bad Revis got in so short an amount of time.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

The assumption was that Revis was 3-4 years from the abyss and its unfortunately coming sooner than anyone expected. Revis is our #1 back there and he is assigned to the #1 WR and if he isn't up to the task there is no solution.  

Now, blame Maccagnan if you thought Revis was done when he was fresh off the Super Bowl and signed.  If not, he's as surprised as you and me how bad Revis got in so short an amount of time.

SAR I

Gonna be a long season SAR I best seats in the house isn't fixing this mess. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

LOL Bowles yea LOL 

I voted sh*tZpatrick because he SUCKS 

While Bowles isn't completely to blame for today's debacle, he was an NFL secondary coach for straight 15 years and one should expect that squad would be the least of our worries instead of our biggest. 

SAR I

12 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

19/35 2/1 189 that is OK? No deep ball. No quick strike threat. I stated this all off-season that the Jets would need the threat of the deep pass. It did show in the PS. Just not with Fitz as the QB. 

The problem today was no red zone Tds. They moved the ball on their D and had great time of possession. It's like Marshall said after the game: the D gave them the running game so they went with it. Fitz's stats today were decent plus he had 2 TD passes. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

The problem today was no red zone Tds. They moved the ball on their D and had great time of possession. It's like Marshall said after the game: the D gave them the running game so they went with it. Fitz's stats today were decent plus he had 2 TD passes. 

they didn't attack the end zone.  it's a liability with fitz.  we need a qb/oc combo that has confidence.

2 minutes ago, Harlemnite1 said:

Bowles & Rodgers. They need to work on their defensive playcalling

I voted Folk because the kicker can't leave easy points on the field, but seeing us get killed on those quick passes time and again was frustrating. 

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

No Red zone TD's falls on your QB. He missed Decker. The pick was as usual in the choke time part of the game. 

8 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Dak Prescott. Mac has now had two drafts. We need to see these young men play. You can have your opinion. It does not make it fact regarding Fitz. He is masquerading. The Jets will not win a SB with him as QB

Super Bowl?  Fitzpatrick?  LOLOLOLOLOLOL.  Wow.  You might be the only person on the planet who thinks this Jets team is Super Bowl caliber let alone be disappointed that Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't a franchise QB.  

One of the Jets biggest mistakes at the QB position has been rushing the young guys along too quickly. Maccagnan's strategy is to take guys who have all the physical abilities, measurables, and lofty stats in college but who didn't play in a pro system and need to be significantly coached up. Interesting idea, but it means they are on a 1-2 year delay, Petty would have imploded last year just like Hackennerg would this year.  Fitzpatrick is a JAG, he had some success last year, no better option presently. 

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Super Bowl?  Fitzpatrick?  LOLOLOLOLOLOL.  Wow.  You might be the only person on the planet who thinks this Jets team is Super Bowl caliber let alone be disappointed that Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't a franchise QB.  

One of the Jets biggest mistakes at the QB position has been rushing the young guys along too quickly. Maccagnan's strategy is to take guys who have all the physical abilities, measurables, and lofty stats in college but who didn't play in a pro system and need to be significantly coached up. Interesting idea, but it means they are on a 1-2 year delay, Petty would have imploded last year just like Hackennerg would this year.  Fitzpatrick is a JAG, he had some success last year, no better option presently. 

SAR I

Yeah this sums up our QB situation to the Tee

Hey guys new to the forum. Revis got torched and Fitz is not on point for holding out. Although it seems the blame always comes down to the QB, the blame should go on the defensive coordinator. The bubble screen lost us this game. Painful to watch over and over again. Defense had success when they doubled Green and had mixed coverages. No need to blitz when your D line gets pressure and lb's can't cover average TE's. The one thing Rex was good at was using more cb's esp. if the running game is weak. He blitzed a lot bc he had no d line. Seems like coaching got this wrong.

SAR I

The QB position is the reason they are not SB contenders. Fitz won't get them there. Clearly he is not an option to me. 

3 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:No Red zone TD's falls on your QB. He missed Decker. The pick was as usual in the choke time part of the game. 

Were you not watching last season when Ryan Fitzpatrick led the Jets on 3 miracle 4th quarter drives to beat the Giants, Cowboys, and Patriots in the middle of a 5-0 stretch enroute to a 10 win season?  You know, in the "choke time" part of games?

SAR I

Were you not watching last season when Ryan Fitzpatrick led the Jets on 3 miracle 4th quarter drives to beat the Giants, Cowboys, and Patriots in the middle of a 5-0 stretch enroute to a 10 win season?  You know, in the "choke time" part of games?

SAR I

Funny how you omit the Buffalo game. Win and in. He gagged.

3 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

The QB position is the reason they are not SB contenders. Fitz won't get them there. Clearly he is not an option to me. 

....and this is a surprise to you after waiting 45 years for a franchise quarterback?

Let me remind you of the thrilling options at quarterback this season:

Ryan Fitzpatrick (won 10 games in one season in New York)

Geno Smith (sucks)

Bryce Petty (developmental)

Gee.  Hmm. Yeah, really tough choice.  

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

....and this is a surprise to you after waiting 45 years for a franchise quarterback?

Let me remind you of the thrilling options at quarterback this season:

Ryan Fitzpatrick (won 10 games in one season in New York)

Geno Smith (sucks)

Bryce Petty (developmental)

Gee.  Hmm. Yeah, really tough choice.  

SAR I

SAR I Fitzpatrick won 10 games with the easiest schedule in the NFL we beat 2 teams with winning records 

Id rather see a rookie then watch the same old loser Ryan Fitzpatrick 

Archived