Nice Read on Alex Smith QB

faba

Brandt's-eye view of Smith workout

By Gil Brandt

NFL.com Senior Analyst

SALT LAKE CITY (March 16, 2005) -- I love scouting and getting to know quarterbacks, so I didn't hesitate when I got the chance to go to Salt Lake City and meet Alex Smith and his family and then watch his private workout. I've gotten to know Smith in the past; I even spent time with him at the combine in February, but this was an event too big to be missed.

Listen LIVE to NFL games, plus watch video news and features of your favorite team.

I arrived in Salt Lake City with Ken Kremer, an IMG agent (Smith has chosen IMG as his representation). I found out we were staying at the same hotel, and when we arrived there, we ran into all sorts of people in town for the workout. The first person we saw was Tom Rossley, offensive coordinator of the Packers, which I thought was interesting since the Packers pick late in Round 1. Then we saw Drew Fabianich, a scout for the Cowboys, which was interesting since the Cowboys have two picks in the first round. I learned later that IMG is expecting at least 28 teams to be represented at the workout, with over 100 NFL coaches and brass making up the attendance. And all to see one player.

Now that's a lot of pressure to be under, but I am sure Smith is up to it. However, people also under that same kind of pressure are his parents, Doug and Pam Smith, who are two of the most wonderful people I've ever met. Doug played football at Weber State in Ogden, Utah when he met Pam. His brother is John L. Smith, who is currently the head coach at Michigan State. The family grew up in Idaho Falls, Idaho, but now Doug is a principal of a high school in San Diego while the mother teaches elsewhere in the San Diego area.

Alex is one of four kids. He has a brother and two sisters. The brother recently got married and Alex was the best man. I also understand that the youngest sister "runs the household." She may make a great coach someday. This is a family that prides itself on athletics and academics. According to Pam, Alex graduated from Utah in two years, and he began a master's program in economics last fall. All this from a guy about to become a highly-paid NFL quarterback, and he won't be 21 until May 7. The apple didn't fall far from the tree, I can tell you that.

Alex Smith's family are proud of their football history and future.

I had dinner with the Smiths, along with Alex and his relatives, Steve and Myrna Barnes, and for three hours we had an incredible time. It was almost like a Q&A. We discussed everything from his recruitment to Utah, under former head coach Ron McBride, and the guy directly responsible for getting him to become a Ute, current Nebraska assistant Bill Busch, to life in Big Sky, Mont. In fact, would you believe that the Smiths own property in Big Sky close to my property? We're talking about a tiny hamlet of a town! We even have the same favorite restaurant, a place called Timbers in Big Sky.

On the eve of the biggest day of professional life (so far), Smith and his family shared stories and even some news.

Here are some snippets:

Earlier this day, Smith had dinner with 49ers head coach Mike Nolan, offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy and VP of player personnel Scot McCloughan. Now this was interesting because Smith also joined us for dinner. He must have been really hungry.

Smith was to look at film of the Utes the morning of his workout with Nick Saban and several other members of the Dolphins' staff. The session would mainly be a review of his 2004 season and explaining why he did what he did on the field.

Smith has a meeting with Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden and GM Bruce Allen the day before Easter Sunday. I doubt Gruden will bring Easter eggs, but I'm sure he's going to have lots of film with him.

Smith shared a limo with Tony Dorsett when they were in New York for the Heisman Trophy presentation. While riding and talking with him, Dorsett got a call from his wife, who reminded him to buy diapers for their youngest child, who was on the way to town.

Smith is also about to become the newest member of Reebok's quarterback club, joining the likes of Peyton and Eli Manning, Daunte Culpepper and Donovan McNabb. Upon announcing this, Pam Smith said "we have to throw all of our other stuff away -- we're a Reebok family now!" That got a good laugh.

28 teams there to scout his workout today

Archived