Jets still don't know how to win

Ex-Rex

Whether it's Nick Folk missing FG's and PAT's or Revis showing his age or Gilchrist just having a mind fart, with this team it is ALWAYS SOMETHING. This has been true since they fired Walt Michaels and will continue to be true until the team gets a 'take no nonsense' head coach. I'm not saying Bowles can't be that guy, but so far he hasn't changed the Charlie Brown culture of this team that says, if something can go wrong it will. Marshall drops a pass right in his hands at a critical juncture that would have helped set the team up for a game winning FG. This wasn't a first quarter, ok it happened, but let me get another chance, this was a critical play with under a minute left. Not to mention the loss in Buffalo last season when the Jets "controlled their own destiny". Have any crueler words ever been spoken? I know this was just one game but it seems like a microcosm of so many others that it seems like a "Groundhog Day" scenario.

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

half the league is going to be 0-1 on tuesday

I wonder how many of those fan bases are giving up ?

I'll never give up, I'll just lay here and bleed awhile before I get back into the fray. Just had to vent this sh*t ya know? But tell me it isn't true.

There were alot of missed field goals and extra points today it wasn't just Folk plus quite honestly Folk has done enough for us these passed few seasons to have earned an off day. This was the first game and it was against a good team there is a good chance we can fix some of our problems and become a better team before it is too late this season.

11 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

Whether it's Nick Folk missing FG's and PAT's or Revis showing his age or Gilchrist just having a mind fart, with this team it is ALWAYS SOMETHING. This has been true since they fired Walt Michaels and will continue to be true until the team gets a 'take no nonsense' head coach. I'm not saying Bowles can't be that guy, but so far he hasn't changed the Charlie Brown culture of this team that says, if something can go wrong it will. Marshall drops a pass right in his hands at a critical juncture that would have helped set the team up for a game winning FG. This wasn't a first quarter, ok it happened, but let me get another chance, this was a critical play with under a minute left. Not to mention the loss in Buffalo last season when the Jets "controlled their own destiny". Have any crueler words ever been spoken? I know this was just one game but it seems like a microcosm of so many others that it seems like a "Groundhog Day" scenario.

I feel your pain. Couldn't agree more. Bowles needs to start whipping these boys in shape. Parcels would be all over these fools and coaches for this abomination. You can't give games away in the NFL. 

11 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

There were alot of missed field goals and extra points today it wasn't just Folk plus quite honestly Folk has done enough for us these passed few seasons to have earned an off day. This was the first game and it was against a good team there is a good chance we can fix some of our problems and become a better team before it is too late this season.

Folk has earned nothing except to go out there and do his job.  

I think what we saw yesterday is how thin the margin for error is when you don't have a big play offense. The majority of that game, we outplayed the Bengals, won the battle on both sides of the line of scrimmage, moved the ball between the 20s all game, but its awfully tough in this league to have to consistently execute 10+ play drives to score. Odds are something is going to go wrong if you have to run enough plays: a drop, a bad throw, a penalty, a missed block, a play by the defense, something. When you play like we do, you can't make mistakes. Cant miss kicks. Cant go 2 for 5 in the red zone. Cant afford to give up big plays without getting them ourselves. 3 plays of 49+ yards, 4 plays of 29+. Half the Bengal yardage came on those 4 plays. We were in the red zone 5 times to their 2, but they were able to go over the red zone, we had to go through it and couldn't.

Too many mistakes for a team with little margin for error.

12 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

It is the first time the Jets have lost on opening day since 2010. Take a breath, let it go and go get ready for Buffalo.

The Brown fans, Charger fans, Bills fans, Doophin fans, Saints fans are all high possibilities.

Saints fans have definitely given up. Dolphin fans are too stupid to give up because they "hung with Seattle". I can't speak for the others. You're probably right, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, The Troll said:

Saints fans have definitely given up. Dolphin fans are too stupid to give up because they "hung with Seattle". I can't speak for the others. You're probably right, though.

Watching/knowing Miami lost always brings a smile to my face, even if we lost too.  Still my most hated team.  Right behind Oakland and the Giants.

13 hours ago, Larz said:

half the league is going to be 0-1 on tuesday

I wonder how many of those fan bases are giving up ?

I don't think it's as much giving up but a realization moment...that this team is what many feared it would be.  Too many people had high expectations and bought into the Fitz hype...The facts are real that many wanted to ignore.

- Fitz is a back-up NFL QB and didn't somehow "figure it out" last year

- The Jets did, in fact, play a very easy schedule last year and aren't going to beat very many playoff caliber teams.

- Revis has gotten older and is no longer a top CB - it wasn't an injury that drove his decline last year

-  The Jets are very weak at CB and it's going to kill them all year

- Most importantly, this is an 8 win team at best.

If you went into yesterday thinking this was somehow a top NFL team - you came away yesterday knowing most of your concerns were legitimate.  It's not giving up, it's accepting reality.

5 minutes ago, The Troll said:

Where does New England fit in there?

See, I go way back to the 60s as a Jet fan.  For most of our history, the Pats sucked.  Other than beating another Boston team, they did not matter too much.  Right now, I'd say Miami, Oakland (who always killed us), Giants and NE in that order of animus.

Archived