Football Thoughts Wanted

KRL

What would you have done to attack that "gimmicky" spread OLine CIN used?  It
seemed like Bowles and the defensive staff kept the DLine in the middle of the
field and expected the CB's to fight off the OT's and break up the WR screen.
After that worked a couple of times I think I would've split our DE's out wide
to give the CB's protection and dared CIN to run the ball

Idk maybe played a more blitz heavy game. Our D-Line was clearly our strong point if Dalton had less time to throw the ball maybe he would have choked more. Honestly i think it says something about that kid that he took 7 sacks and still got up moved on and played unphased, even Brady gets a bit rocky when he is hit a few times.

Do what Belichick does. He would use Ninkovic to try & time up his jump to alter the path of Daltons ball. When you throw those quick passes, you have to throw line drives! Your taller left end rushes to the passing lane & leaps. These guys are over 6' tall, force him to throw around you, over you. It's not rocket science. Jets rarely tip balls, very frustrating!

1 hour ago, BroadwayJets said:

Can't do much when our secondary can't tackle and/or break a block. We'll probably see a lot of WR screens this season for that reason. Marcus Williams is probably the softest cornerback in the game.

Watching the Pats game last night, the team that could tackle, won the game. The Pats looked fundamentally where they needed to be to start the season. The Cards looked un-ready for contact. Jets too, in a lot of ways. It's the new CBA, some teams just come in and take a month to stop being pussies.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Watching the Pats game last night, the team that could tackle, won the game. The Pats looked fundamentally where they needed to be to start the season. The Cards looked un-ready for contact. Jets too, in a lot of ways. It's the new CBA, some teams just come in and take a month to stop being pussies.

Yep, meanwhile the opposite was true of Edelman and the other white receivers on the pats. Very slippery. We better get our sh*t together sooner than later.

Off topic: Did it seem as if the Bengals' game plan was directed away from Calvin Pryor? I know the one play he got hurt, the ball wasn't near him. Yet, he came back in and I don't think I heard his name all game. Either that or he too couldn't get off his blocks.

Just now, BroadwayJets said:

Yep, meanwhile the opposite was true of Edelman and the other white receivers on the pats. Very slippery. We better get our sh*t together sooner than later.

Off topic: Did it seem as if the Bengals' game plan was directed away from Calvin Pryor? I know the one play he got hurt, the ball wasn't near him. Yet, he came back in and I don't think I heard his name all game. Either that or he too couldn't get off his blocks.

I didn't really hone in on this, sorry.

By my count the Bengals ran the wr screen about seven times using at least three different formations, all successful. For about 3-4 of those plays the Jets did not have enough coverage pre snap, two corners covering three wr's. Using Lee or moving a safety down pre snap would have helped. I felt the coaches blew the adjustments all game.

1 minute ago, NYJ37/12 said:

By my count the Bengals ran the wr screen about seven times using at least three different formations, all successful. For about 3-4 of those plays the Jets did not have enough coverage pre snap, two corners covering three wr's. Using Lee or moving a safety down pre snap would have helped. I felt the coaches blew the adjustments all game.

Yea, generally speaking this loss feels as much about poor coaching as it does about poor execution. Sometimes it's more about one or the other, but yesterday felt like a complete team fail players + coaches.

3 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

I really dont ever remember seeing such a basic mistake made so many times on defense. 

18 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Jordan Jenkins was out. Played a major factor in those plays. 

I only watched the game once - but I dont recall the OLB's being up on the line on those plays and trying to play contain. It looked mostly like a 4 man front.

This is the big issue with Lee as stated by some of us.  He is not a 3 down player so far.  He's not on the field on 1st down, if they do put him on the field he'll get run at.  Teams offense are adjusting to the 'speed LB' now.  Having said that our d coaching was caught totally with their pants down.

12 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I only watched the game once - but I dont recall the OLB's being up on the line on those plays and trying to play contain. It looked mostly like a 4 man front.

They barely used OLBs yesterday at all. Mauldin played 40% of the snaps, Catapano played 26%, Martin played 2 plays. It was mostly 4 DL with Harris and Lee/Henderson with 5 DBs.

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Idk maybe played a more blitz heavy game. Our D-Line was clearly our strong point if Dalton had less time to throw the ball maybe he would have choked more. Honestly i think it says something about that kid that he took 7 sacks and still got up moved on and played unphased, even Brady gets a bit rocky when he is hit a few times.

Such an odd game.

We get 7 sacks, but somehow Dalton has time to hit 3 huge pass plays, and with all that heat, they kept playing the DB's off the WR. 

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

People don't want to give Dalton credit, but I would take him over Fitz in a heartbeat.  

53 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

This is exactly where it felt like Bowles was terribly out coached.  It made the difference in the game.  Bengals saw their QB getting killed - so they made an adjustment.  The adjustment worked, but the Jets seemingly never countered it.  

11 minutes ago, hawk said:

People don't want to give Dalton credit, but I would take him over Fitz in a heartbeat.  

No really? Not being facetious here but my god Andy Dalton has played LIGHTS OUT lately! Bengal are a legitimate Super Bowl contender if he doesn't get hurt last year!

Did you see the difference in those throws yesterday? Daltons passes were f*cking ON THE MONEY, with perfect spirals. You put Dalton on the Jets the only thing we'd be complaining about is the secondary. We'd put up a LOT of points.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is exactly where it felt like Bowles was terribly out coached.  It made the difference in the game.  Bengals saw their QB getting killed - so they made an adjustment.  The adjustment worked, but the Jets seemingly never countered it.  

Exactly! Our pass rush shrunk the field & the time he had to throw, so we effectively shrunk the field & they killed us with a stupid bubble screen! And we NEVER ADJUSTED! But, here's the catch, give the Bengals credit. They know Harris is on the field on 1st & 2nd, he's just not fast enough in the open field. This is SO TYPICAL JETS, we have Revise & Harris taking up 23 million in cap space!

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I had hoped our team could survive the absence of a 3rd round rookie.

Jenkins brings much needed speed to the team. As you can see, the Jets have a secondary that is slow. Speed will beat them. With the return of Sheldon Richardson, the four man front should get even more difficult to contain in the run or the pass. Jenkins and Lee will have to help cover the underneath stuff as the CB's will have to protect the deep pass routes from the other gems speedy WR's.

First off, when they come out in a heavy side receiver formation, I would ADJUST coverage so there is EQUAL amounts of players.  How many times did they make easy pitch and catch throws because there were more receivers than defenders to one side?

I would probably have moved a safety up to the line the minute the formation was called.  Dare him to throw to that side with a safety coming in wide and untouched.

I would then have had tight coverage with over the top help on the opposite side, and let Darron Lee follow either the TE or RB coming out of the back. 

Sacks are AWESOME for the stats, and the crowd loves them.  But when you can sack a QB 7x, hit him a dozen more, and he STILL throws for over 300 yards on you, there is a problem with either the schemes you are developing for coverage, or your secondary just flat out SUCKS!

Archived