On to Buffalo

kevinc855

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I hate to call a week 2 must win but this is as close to a must win in week 2 as you can have.

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't know if I can handle Bowles starting 0-3 against Rex.  It's almost a fireable offense on its own.  The term "must-win game" is overused, but even so, this is a must-win game.  Gotta have it.

It is a must-win game. 

• teams that start 0-2, statistically don't usually make the playoffs
  • the AFC is loaded, dropping two games to teams that could potentially be in the wildcard picture is season-ending
  • they talked the talk about being better this year, prove it time is here
  • Bowles going 0-3 against Rex is unacceptable
  • Paid Fitz $12m to compete NOW while developing Hack/Petty, so compete now dammit

They lost this game, and the gloves come off. I've got more hope for Bowles than I did for Rex and Mangini, both of whom I was done with well before the majority, so I'm willing to be somewhat patient. So far, Bowles hasn't shown he can get his team to win one in the clutch. Last week was kind of a playoff game, this is 100% a playoff game. 

15 hours ago, Snell41 said:

It's a must win game for BUF too. Our only saving grace is Rex is not very good on a short week. In BUF, Rex's mini Super Bowl, Fitz historically bad against BUF and Rex. 24-10 Bills, Fitz with 2 turnovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need to keep 2 safeties deep, and a spy on Tyrod. The same gameplan that teams used against SF with Kaep, and Roman.

It worked perfectly last week for Baltimore. They threw no balls over 10 yards in the air because Tyrod plays way too safe.

They cannot run on us, and we only need to keep Tyrod contained and force him to read coverages, which he cannot do. 

The Bills may not win a game this year. How long will it take until they bench their "franchise QB"? 

33 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It is a must-win game. 

• teams that start 0-2, statistically don't usually make the playoffs
  • the AFC is loaded, dropping two games to teams that could potentially be in the wildcard picture is season-ending
  • they talked the talk about being better this year, prove it time is here
  • Bowles going 0-3 against Rex is unacceptable
  • Paid Fitz $12m to compete NOW while developing Hack/Petty, so compete now dammit

They lost this game, and the gloves come off. I've got more hope for Bowles than I did for Rex and Mangini, both of whom I was done with well before the majority, so I'm willing to be somewhat patient. So far, Bowles hasn't shown he can get his team to win one in the clutch. Last week was kind of a playoff game, this is 100% a playoff game. 

I have a feeling we are going to play really well Thursday and win this game comfortably.

20 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Hope so. Bills are in the same predicament. We aren't the only ones desperate 2 weeks in.

they are so beat up though.  obviously they can beat us but I expect a win and some of our fears to be put to rest(at least for a week).

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

they are so beat up though.  obviously they can beat us but I expect a win and some of our fears to be put to rest(at least for a week).

they were beat up in week 17 too, that's my worry... we play to the level of our competition

Looks like Watson is playing but Cordy Glenn is not.  That's huge.  Glenn is a beast and this DL has Richardson returning to the line up.  You would have thought the tiny backer would have been used last game to stop those swing/screens/outs but he really wasnt.  They kept him in the middle of the field for the most part.  I'd like to see some ingenuity Thurs because Tyrod might be running for his life.

Fitz vs. Ryan - 1-7, 49% completion, 184 yards per game, 14 TD's, 11 INT's. PR 68.3.  Thurs Night road game and Rex is fat?  Defense might need to pitch a shut out. 

34 minutes ago, JiF said:

Looks like Watson is playing but Cordy Glenn is not.  That's huge.  Glenn is a beast and this DL has Richardson returning to the line up.  You would have thought the tiny backer would have been used last game to stop those swing/screens/outs but he really wasnt.  They kept him in the middle of the field for the most part.  I'd like to see some ingenuity Thurs because Tyrod might be running for his life.

Fitz vs. Ryan - 1-7, 49% completion, 184 yards per game, 14 TD's, 11 INT's. PR 68.3.  Thurs Night road game and Rex is fat?  Defense might need to pitch a shut out. 

Lol , still + repped even though over exaggerated last paragraph

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — There is a Rex hex on Fitz.

It is not a fleeting, manipulated statistical mash-up for the purpose of illustrating a point. It’s real: Bills coach Rex Ryan owns Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick like Bill Belichick owns the AFC East.

Ryan can call it coincidence, which he predictably did Tuesday, ahead of Thursday night’s early-season desperation showdown between the Jets and Bills at Ralph Wilson Stadium, when he said, “The players have more to do with it than anything else.’’

Um, no they haven’t. This is about Ryan and how far into Fitzpatrick’s head his defensive schemes have seeped since they first met as opponents in 2008.

It’s real. The numbers don’t lie.

Fitzpatrick, who has faced Ryan’s defense nine times as the quarterback of record, is 1-8 against him and has completed 138-of-288 passes for a 47.9 completion percentage (well south of his career 60 percent rate) with 14 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

“We all have that person that has our number,’’ Bills cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman said Tuesday. “You always have that one person that seems to get the best of you, and that’s how Rex is with [Fitzpatrick]. He seems to get the best of Fitz every time. Rex just knows that guy. He’s just got him dialed in.’’

Asked if Ryan has indicated to his defensive players he has Fitzpatrick’s number, Robey-Coleman said, “Yes.’’

Modal Triggerrf55.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=300&stri
Fitzpatrick during the Jets’ loss in Buffalo last seasonPhoto: Getty Images

“The first thing he told us in meetings this week was, ‘I know this guy. He gets the ball out quick,’ ’’ Robey-Coleman said. “He said that can be an advantage [to Fitzpatrick], but that we’re going to use it to his disadvantage. We’re going to make it a bad thing for him to get it out quick. That’s what we’re working on right now.’’

Bills defensive end Leger Douzable, who signed with Buffalo in the offseason after playing three years with the Jets, told The Post, “Rex is a great schemer, and I don’t know what it is about Fitz, but Rex knows how to scheme him really well and has had great success against him.’’

The Fitzpatrick numbers against Ryan defenses are difficult to ignore. Nine games represent a significant enough sample size, particularly when you factor in that they come in different permutations — with Fitzpatrick having faced Ryan as a member of three different teams as a starter (the Bengals, Jets and Bills) and with Ryan having been in three different places (as defensive coordinator in Baltimore and head coach with the Jets and Bills).

“You bring up a valid point in that if you bring up my numbers versus Rex and his coached defenses, it’s not on par with my career numbers,’’ Fitzpatrick said.

The two 22-17 losses to the Bills last season represented the low points of Fitzpatrick’s otherwise terrific first year with the Jets. He combined to complete 31-of-71 passes (44 percent) for 374 yards, four TDs and five INTs. The last three of those picks came in the fourth quarter of the season-finale loss that kept the Jets out of the playoffs.

“Oh, he’s definitely going to have a chip on his shoulder — especially being a guy who’s played here before and had an opportunity to go to the playoffs last year and didn’t seize it,’’ Bills linebacker Preston Brown said.

For Fitzpatrick, that season finale fit in perfectly with the narrative of his career, which seems always to have been judged more for the things he has had not done rather than for the things he’s accomplished. For a lot of Jets fans, those three interceptions against the Bills seemed to erase the 31 touchdowns he threw, which were a career high and a Jets franchise record.

“I think it’ll always be that way for me,’’ Fitzpatrick said. “I don’t really dwell on that [or] try to change the narrative. I think that’s just my career in a nutshell. That’s the narrative that is written and will probably always be there. But I feel I’m better now than I’ve been at any point in my career.’’

He has the chance — if only for one game on Thursday night against his nemesis — to prove that and at least begin to change the negative narrative.

“I’ve just got to continue to try to figure it out, especially with Rex and the way they run their scheme,’’ Fitzpatrick said. “They know I’ve had success. I just haven’t had it consistently against him. So hopefully I’m looking forward to starting a new streak on Thursday.’’

12 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

You know what, screw this negativity im sick of it. I say Fitz goes out there and smashed this Rex curse. Fitz numbers 4 td's 1 int 350 passing yard. Jets kill em in a blow out.  

From you lips to the Football gods ears!

Go Jets!

Jets will get to Tyrod Taylor early...beat him up..End up with 4 sacks, 3 turnovers.

Win the game on mostly defense and special teams but Rex will get frustrated, over aggressive and the Jets will finally connect on a long TD...

Fitz will have a solid game by his standards - 200 yards, 2 touchdowns and no INT's...

43 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

You know what, screw this negativity im sick of it. I say Fitz goes out there and smashed this Rex curse. Fitz numbers 4 td's 1 int 350 passing yard. Jets kill em in a blow out.  

If I'm Todd Bowles, first series I have Gailey call a deep out. I don't even care whether or not it works - if it ends up being an int, trust your defense. But if Rex is going to bring his safeties up and play against the run/short pass, you have to start taking chances deep - especially with the WRs we have. Let them try to cover Marshall, Decker or even Anderson one on one down the field.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Interestingly enough they also think that Sanchez was good and could have been even better if he stayed. 

how did we make back to back title games(as many as we did from 1970-2008, 2015-current) in the few years they were together?  we also know from these forums that the OC stunk and the GM too- how did we do it w/ all that crap?

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

how did we make back to back title games(as many as we did from 1970-2008, 2015-current) in the few years they were together?  we also know from these forums that the OC stunk and the GM too- how did we do it w/ all that crap?

We got there on the arm of the great Sanchez and through the brilliant coaching of Rex Ryan. 

Obviously. 

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

it's a serious question.  w/ so many terrible people in key jobs how did we win?

Great defense, great oline and good running game.

At least one of those two teams were good enough inmost areas we never should have been in an all road wild card team.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Great defense, great oline and good running game.

At least one of those two teams were good enough inmost areas we never should have been in an all road wild card team.

who ran that great defense? who stockpiled the talent on those teams? who oversaw the good run game?

no, we shouldn't have.  NE has always been great w/ Brady, the year we should have won the division was the year before Rex and Mark w/ a HOF QB.

a few good omens that don't mean much but let's bring some positive energy.

-Tonight they will debut the new name of their Stadium(New Era Field or something like that), the last time they changed the name we played the first game in it and we beat them.  1998 when they changed it from Rich Stadium to Ralph Wilson Field and we clinched our 1st AFC East title.

-in that same 1998 game they debuted a couple of new innovations.  it was CBS' first NFL HD broadcast and they debuted the first down line.  Tonight is the first live stream on twitter.

-the last time we faced the Bills on the road in a Thursday Night game was 2009, it was in their home away from home of Toronto but we easily beat them that night.

Archived