odds fitz has a lackluster game vs bills team?

kmnj

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just don't see how 19/35 2/1 for 189 is satisfactory. The OL played very well, much better than expected and the Run Game produced 154 yards. Fitz was pedestrian at best. 

It's pretty much the best you'll get from Fitz against a good team. If you expect more than you saw yesterday against the better D's we play you're in for a lot of disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry folks, without a decent downfield game we are fairly one dimensional.

It's my hope that Fitz is rusty due to his lack of offseason work.

Yet, history shows us this is a repeated pattern with him. I also believe last years numbers were more a product of who we were playing rather then how the QB was playing.

Expect Rex to allow all the attempted deep stuff with one on one coverage and playing corners or safeties up close to the line to come after Fitz a lot.

This will certainly be a test of the type of season we can expect with Fitz under center.

Personally I will give him two more starts after Buffalo, if we are 0-4 it's time to either start Geno and see how good or bad he really is. If good ,he plays out the season, if he falls back into his old ways and habits,a quick hook is in order.

I would then give Petty the last eight games and stick with him no matter what. He would get half a seasons experience and be the better for it next year.

8 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

I just don't see how 19/35 2/1 for 189 is satisfactory. The OL played very well, much better than expected and the Run Game produced 154 yards. Fitz was pedestrian at best. 

IT IS RYAN FITZPATRICK!!!!!!!!!!!

FOR HIM that IS satisfactory. That's why all the off-season debates of whether to capitulate to his salary demands were VALID arguments BECAUSE we KNEW there is LITTLE room for him to mess up and he ALONE can't and WILL NOT carry the team to a victory. 

Why is this new to people?!?!? Haven't you been him play the last 12 years?!?!?!? :blink:

All TEAM CYLINDERS have to be clicking and in SYNC to win. #14, while gritty and FUN to watch when he's "on," IS NOT the type of savior that will single-handedly win it for the team. Just as he HAS to make that throw, his #1 WR HAS TO MAKE THAT catch. That will be the tale all season towards victory. EVERYONE has to do their job. Fitzy did and it wasn't enough.  . . . And when he TRIED to make the play - he forces an INT to end the game, sound familiar?

I am putting the breaks on my negative Nancyisms right now.

Do I feel great about Fitz at QB now? No, I do not. I thought he looked okay and intermittently terrible against Cincy. Lots of throws high and behind.

But I am also aware of just how terrible the weather was in Orchard Park last year, and how desperate we were.

I think we're going to be settled down, and making some plays. I think Sammy will definitely play, but we'll blanket him.

I think our Dline with Sheldon back we'll be incredibly frustrating. I hope Fitz doesn't HAVE to make too many plays.

He only really needed to make one or two more than he did this past weekend.

DC

17 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Trying to put a positive spin on what was a crap way to start the season, it's unlikely things aren't at least somewhat better come Friday.

Potential outcomes:

1. We win and we're back on track for the playoffs.  Finally beat Buffalo.  Fitz was absolutely worth 12mil.
  2. We lose.  But we're finally moving on to a younger QB with potential.  There's hope again, but even if the season is over in week two, at least the team is trying to make progress.  The Fitz-project is over.
  3. The only bad outcome is a loss with either a mediocre or bad performance from Fitz and he still stays as the starter.

So cheer up all.  Glass half full approach.  Come Friday, odds are things will be better.

Even if the Jets lose on Thursday, and they won't, Fitz is only not starting week 3 if he gets hurt. They didn't sign him and bring him back to be done with him in two weeks. That's just not going to happen. 

18 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Well, in every way except the outcome, we beat them yesterday. Despite all this. We outplayed the crap out of them... so, I'm not in denial. I think we're built to be in every game we play. However, we are built to be afraid to win.

Afraid to win?  I get that but honestly it feels more like when I raced Little Sal and Rose in go-carts at Myrtle beach this summer.  I been driving longer than both of them so held the experience edge.  Both are my kids so desire to beat them was enormous.  I came out of the gate and quickly passed Rose and closed on Sal.  Out maneuvering the other drivers as I got inside to pass down low to overcome Sal for the lead. Then guess what monkey?  Freaking hill on the back end of the figure eight track.  No matter what I did everybody went pass me on the hill because that little go cart engine could not tug my fat ass up that hill.  Fitz is basically a fat guy going up hill in a go cart. Sure he looks good at times and has the tools to win but when it's time to go " up hill" he just doesn't have the horsepower.  The coaching staff knows this.  They are not afraid to win they are afraid to go up hill.  So they try everything they can to not be at the bottom of the hill.  They try to stay on the straight aways were they have a chance to win. 

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Afraid to win?  I get that but honestly it feels more like when I raced Little Sal and Rose in go-carts at Myrtle beach this summer.  I been driving longer than both of them so held the experience edge.  Both are my kids so desire to beat them was enormous.  I came out of the gate and quickly passed Rose and closed on Sal.  Out maneuvering the other drivers as I got inside to pass down low to overcome Sal for the lead. Then guess what monkey?  Freaking hill on the back end of the figure eight track.  No matter what I did everybody went pass me on the hill because that little go cart engine could not tug my fat ass up that hill.  Fitz is basically a fat guy going up hill in a go cart. Sure he looks good at times and has the tools to win but when it's time to go " up hill" he just doesn't have the horsepower.  The coaching staff knows this.  They are not afraid to win they are afraid to go up hill.  So they try everything they can to not be at the bottom of the hill.  They try to stay on the straight aways were they have a chance to win. 

This is the best thing I've ever read and I think this is exactly what is happening.

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

The odds are worse than we'd like, Fitz has trouble with Rex defenses (as do many QB's better than Fitz).

But a poor showing, and a loss it would bring, will put a nasty shadow on this year, and may spell the beginning of the (early) end and a QB change being inevitable.

http://turnonthejets.com/2016/09/new-york-jets-loss-monday-vent-week-1/#more-33626

FitzAverage 

Average would be kind. After a decent first half, Ryan Fitzpatrick went 7/16 for 78 yards with a INT yesterday in the second half. His overall completion percentage of 54 was good for 27th of 28 eligible week 1 quarterbacks and his 5.40 yards per attempt was good for 26th of 28 eligible week 1 quarterbacks. The Jets need Fitzpatrick to be a middle tier quarterback to compete for the playoffs, they cannot compete if he is going to be one of the worst quarterbacks in the NFL, which is what he was yesterday. This is a guy throwing to Eric Decker, Brandon Marshall, Matt Forte and an ascending Quincy Enunwa, there is no excuses and he shouldn’t skirt blame for yesterday. He deserves just as much as Todd Bowles, Darrelle Revis, Nick Folk and Brandon Marshall.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Nice analogy.

Being afraid to go uphill, if it's the direct path to winning, IS being afraid to win.

Or, more specifically, shrinking to the challenge. Not rising.

We all said it in the off season. Fitz is going to struggle against teams with good defenses. Guess what, even without Burifict Cincy's D is still very good. we face a multitude of defenses that are just as good or even better then cincy as the year moves forward. Get ready for more pedestrian numbers. 

First all Qbs aren't going to excel against good defenses. You saw a lot of that on Sunday. Most of those guys didn't light it up, Many of the scores were in the lower 20's like ours and were very close. I think there were three one point games. The Bills also have a good defense and we're due to beat them. But it will be a close game no easy W that's for sure. I think that Brandon Marshall has a huge game and we win. 

the bills are  a garbage team-they are not the 72 dolphins-they suck but yet our qb cant beat them-you can bet the house he wont have a dominant game and just be thankful it is not cold/windy there yet.

on a short week on the road vs rex-I see fitz with 2-3 ints

that sad thing is some jets fans are so blinded by love of team they cant or wont see how bad Fitz is-his entire career he has shown to be a guy that crumbles when the team needs him most.

Sure some defenses slow down even the best of qbs but they still find a way to get the job done at the end. I think the only qb I would take Fitz over is Case Keenum at this point

36 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

First all Qbs aren't going to excel against good defenses. You saw a lot of that on Sunday. Most of those guys didn't light it up, Many of the scores were in the lower 20's like ours and were very close. I think there were three one point games. The Bills also have a good defense and we're due to beat them. But it will be a close game no easy W that's for sure. I think that Brandon Marshall has a huge game and we win. 

If Watkins doesn't play or gets injured after early on we have a shot otherwise it's Just End The Season 

4 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Look at the schedule

Bring it on. We are competitive. Sure we'd rather have Aaron Rodgers over Fitz. But he's not available. I think we can win with him and showed it yesterday. He put us in a position to win that game and didn't screw things up. He wasn't Marino but he isn't paid like a franchise Qb. And isn't a franchise Qb. Let's see how this month unfolds but hard to deal with all of this negativity when we played a pretty good overall game against a good team. I think their team has more problems than the Jets. I mean 7 sacks. It's not that easy to fix. We have easier fixes. 

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Bring it on. We are competitive. Sure we'd rather have Aaron Rodgers over Fitz. But he's not available. I think we can win with him and showed it yesterday. He put us in a position to win that game and didn't screw things up. He wasn't Marino but he isn't paid like a franchise Qb. And isn't a franchise Qb. Let's see how this month unfolds but hard to deal with all of this negativity when we played a pretty good overall game against a good team. I think their team has more problems than the Jets. I mean 7 sacks. It's not that easy to fix. We have easier fixes. 

what exactly did he show?-you do realize we lost and he was a big reason-his second half was AWFUL-hit play at the end was AWFUL-he even has a good running game that teams have to respect and has two top wrs but still finds a way to literally throw it away

I get having hope-I have been going since I was 5 and missed only a hanful of games-I am as die hard as they come but when death is staring you in the face you cant act like is all sunshine and happiness

5 minutes ago, kmnj said:

what exactly did he show?-you do realize we lost and he was a big reason-his second half was AWFUL-hit play at the end was AWFUL-he even has a good running game that teams have to respect and has two top wrs but still finds a way to literally throw it away

I get having hope-I have been going since I was 5 and missed only a hanful of games-I am as die hard as they come but when death is staring you in the face you cant act like is all sunshine and happiness

There is no way Fitz lost that game. He kept us in it and was ok. Not elite but satisfactory. He wasn't even close to awful. We lost by one point. Too bad Mike Nugent made that last kick. It isn't a win or nothing scenario. And we're not going to win every game against good teams. As for your life span you're going to live to be 100. But the bad news is still no SB. ;)

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

There is no way Fitz lost that game. He kept us in it and was ok. Not elite but satisfactory. He wasn't even close to awful. We lost by one point. Too bad Mike Nugent made that last kick. It isn't a win or nothing scenario. And we're not going to win every game against good teams. As for your life span you're going to live to be 100. But the bad news is still no SB. ;)

I disagree. He was mediocre at best. He looked rusty and threw some garbage passes when it counted the most especially on 1st and goal. This team has weapons and has a running game and the offensive line gave him ample protection on Sunday. He has no excuse and a 55% completion rate isn't going to cut it. We witnessed a huge difference what an actually good QB can do on Sunday as Dalton shredded us even though he was sacked 7 times. Nope, I have little faith he can go up to buffalo and win a must game. We all saw what happened last year.

30 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

I disagree. He was mediocre at best. He looked rusty and threw some garbage passes when it counted the most especially on 1st and goal. This team has weapons and has a running game and the offensive line gave him ample protection on Sunday. He has no excuse and a 55% completion rate isn't going to cut it. We witnessed a huge difference what an actually good QB can do on Sunday as Dalton shredded us even though he was sacked 7 times. Nope, I have little faith he can go up to buffalo and win a must game. We all saw what happened last year.

Look 189 yards and 2 TD passes in a game like that isn't terrible. And his pick wasn't even close to being as significant as Dalton's was. And no Qb who gets sacked 7 times had a good game. We had an opportunity at the end to maybe get a chance to win the game but Marshall dropped a key pass. If Folk had kicked a 50 yarder and we won the game a different story. The key reasons for losing was not the Qb. Dalton had an elite receiver who made the plays and an easier secondary to throw against. Even though the Jets had a great pass rush the Jets DBS didn't do their job. Even Revis said so after the game. To me the keys to losing that game was the secondary and obviously the kicking game. You miss an extra point it often comes back to haunt you. But if Fitz had been better we might have won. 

50 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

And let's not forget that our offense and special teams had the lead with 2 minutes left and put the Bengals on the 16 yard line.  The fault of the loss lies with our defense, specifically the secondary, not Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Sunday's game is all Fitzpatrick is worth, folks.  Nice 3rd down conversions, great pocket presence and scrambling, 2 pretty TD's, 1 poor decision INT, can do just enough to keep us in a game late, puts it in the hands of the D to hold on for a close win.  Can beat 90% of the scrubs on the schedule, will lose to 90% of the elites on the schedule.

This is what you get when you are one of 25 NFL teams without a franchise quarterback.  Ryan Fitzpatrick played above his level last year, set Jets records for TD's and offense, still couldn't make the playoffs or win a big game late in the year.  It's who Ryan is.  You can't knock him for it.  If you want to blame someone, blame Woody Johnson for not focusing on the QB spot, blame Mike Tannenbaum for chasing free agents, blame Rex Ryan for ignoring the offense.  But Mike Maccagnan and Ryan Fitzpatrick are each doing the very best they can against stacked hands.  Franchise QB's don't grow on trees for Maccagnan, 33 year old bodies don't turn into Russell Wilson for Fitzpatrick.

SAR I

Archived