Bench Fitz, Fire Chan (Not Knee-Jerk)

PCP63

I said the same thing last season. We need to bench Fitz and fire Chan. They simply won't get us anywhere but mediocrity. Sure, Revis sucked badly, Marshall was non-existent, and we just played poorly all-around, but the constant is always Fitz and Chan. Marshall and Revis will bounce back. 

While Fitz is certainly starter material, he's simply not good enough to get us to the playoffs, never mind getting even close to the SB. He's mediocre to below-average at best. Always has been. He makes bad reads and even worse throws. His decision-making is terrible. He's a likable guy, but will not win you games. Start Petty. Let him gain actual live-game, NFL experience. Redshirt Hack and groom him for next season. I hate throwaway years, but our roster cannot compete this year for the big game. We need to get young guys experience, and build more through the draft to address bigger needs like OL, CB, and LB.

And let's like act like Chan is the QB whisperer. Sure, he can get a bit more than some coaches out of mediocre guys, but his play-calling and strategy are terrible. He has no idea how to run a modern NFL offense. No different than Schotty or Morn. Get a guy like Norm Chow or even Kyle Shanahan in (I think he's a very underrated OC). 

You play to win the game, not go 8-8 and miss the playoffs. We need to start taking chances while we still have some good, young talent.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

I said the same thing last season. We need to bench Fitz and fire Chan. They simply won't get us anywhere but mediocrity. Sure, Revis sucked badly, Marshall was non-existent, and we just played poorly all-around, but the constant is always Fitz and Chan. Marshall and Revis will bounce back. 

While Fitz is certainly starter material, he's simply not good enough to get us to the playoffs, never mind getting even close to the SB. He's mediocre to below-average at best. Always has been. He makes bad reads and even worse throws. His decision-making is terrible. He's a likable guy, but will not win you games. Start Petty. Let him gain actual live-game, NFL experience. Redshirt Hack and groom him for next season. I hate throwaway years, but our roster cannot compete this year for the big game. We need to get young guys experience, and build more through the draft to address bigger needs like OL, CB, and LB.

And let's like act like Chan is the QB whisperer. Sure, he can get a bit more than some coaches out of mediocre guys, but his play-calling and strategy are terrible. He has no idea how to run a modern NFL offense. No different than Schotty or Morn. Get a guy like Norm Chow or even Kyle Shanahan in (I think he's a very underrated OC). 

You play to win the game, not go 8-8 and miss the playoffs. We need to start taking chances while we still have some good, young talent.

Yeah but every year is a throw away year whenever the Jets lose a game.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Kyle Shanahan has turned Matt Ryan into Ryan Fitzpatrick. Dude looks awful since Quinn/Shanny Jr. took over that offense.

Chan Gailey is head and shoulders better than Schotty Jr and Morninwheg.

Knee jerk all the way.

I disagree. The personnel in ATL is not even close to what Kyle is comfortable with. Just not a good fit. Wouldn't even have to be him anyways. Plenty of good coaches out there. 

This is definitely knee jerk. Chan is solid. He can't throw the ball for Fitz. This roster is about as good as any roster in the NFL and we'll have minimal holes going into next season. If management think this season is going no where then I think Geno and eventually Petty will play. 

Just now, PCP63 said:

I disagree. The personnel in ATL is not even close to what Kyle is comfortable with. Just not a good fit. Wouldn't even have to be him anyways. Plenty of good coaches out there. 

Listen, he has a franchise QB, one of the best WRs in football, and 2 very, very good RBs. I don't know of any OC that would consider those parts as the starting point a bad fit. I don't know how long you've posted here, but I've advocated hiring Shanny Jr in the past. He's not better than Gailey. 

Gailey is an excellent OC, he just called a few bad plays. 

Your post is 100% knee jerk.

Like the defending SB Champions, this team is (supposed to be) about the defense, the only difference being the Champs can close a game out and we never can. I cannot and will not blame the offense for not picking the defense up twice. The O came back and took the lead very late in the 4th, and the defense as it always does, could not close the deal, plain and simple.

Had the defense stopped Cin on the last drive, would we be having any of these conversations?

10 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

While Fitz is certainly starter material

Disagree. 

Chan has a history of getting more out of less at the QB position, like Fitzpatrick last year, and I'm happy to have him bring along Petty and Hack. Could the play calling have been better in the red zone yesterday? Absolutely. But play calling would not've been a part of today's discussion if the QB executed. 54% completions, 5.4 yards per attempt is not good enough. At all. Especially when you're talking during the week about how loaded the offense is - and it is! 

15 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

This is definitely knee jerk. Chan is solid. He can't throw the ball for Fitz. This roster is about as good as any roster in the NFL and we'll have minimal holes going into next season. If management think this season is going no where then I think Geno and eventually Petty will play. 

This. Chan understands the limitations of his players, and designs plays around them. 

We'd all like to see more shots down field. Unfortunately, Marshall and Decker aren't those types of receivers, and Fitz isn't that QB.

I will say that some of the red zone play calling wasn't that great.

So stupid. Chan made our offense POTENT with the same dopey quarterback you are complaining about. And the offense was mostly fine yesterday. Did enough to win against a very solid defense. If Nick Folk does his job, this thread is not here. 

Go to every NFL forum after a loss and you'll always see threads complaining about offensive coordinators. It's such a lazy argument. 

14 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Like the defending SB Champions, this team is (supposed to be) about the defense, the only difference being the Champs can close a game out and we never can. I cannot and will not blame the offense for not picking the defense up twice. The O came back and took the lead very late in the 4th, and the defense as it always does, could not close the deal, plain and simple.

Had the defense stopped Cin on the last drive, would we be having any of these conversations?

All of the conversations about the QB would still be happening. No doubt about that.

I think people would still be sour on Folk for missing layups, and Marshall for looking "off".

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Disagree. 

Chan has a history of getting more out of less at the QB position, like Fitzpatrick last year, and I'm happy to have him bring along Petty and Hack. Could the play calling have been better in the red zone yesterday? Absolutely. But play calling would not've been a part of today's discussion if the QB executed. 54% completions, 5.4 yards per attempt is not good enough. At all. Especially when you're talking during the week about how loaded the offense is - and it is! 

Exactly.

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Hey guys we lost by one point. To a very good team. And basically outplayed them. Would this conversation be happening if 4 lost kicking points were on the board. Unfortunately with this group yes. 

I've made enough of a financial and emotional investment in this team/organization to justify reacting however the **** I want. 

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

For all the knee jerk reactions that are littering the board the simple truth is this:

Folk needs to kick a 22 yard FG and a PAT, period 

For all the knee jerk reactions that are littering the board the simple truth is this:

To beat good teams, the Jets have to play perfect around Fitz to have a shot of winning.

Don't agree at all on Gailey. He develops the best offense fir the talent he has, and he us doing that with Fitz who should not be a starter. Think if it- we have a QB that us terrible at plat action, he cannot throw a medium out or any deep pass, does not throw a WR screen well and struggles going through progressions. So none of that us really part of the offense. Fitz is actually good at the middle screen, and decent at throwing back shoulder throws to huge receiversin man, and spot plays against zone. ALL QB'S are good at the seam  so we have an offense built on middle screens, seams, dunpoffs and back shoulder edge routes. It's all he can do. It's also not enough.

Throw Petty in there, and the offense woukd be completely different. It would vertical with creative under routes, there would be fewer middle screens because they are difficult for young QBs, we would see deep crossing routes like the ones Brees brutalizes defenses with. Anderson and Marshall would have significant roles.

A Gailey offense with Petty and our weapons would be more successful than the crap show easy to defend offense we have now.

Our issue us Fitz. He does not fit our offense at all. It is only Gaileys brilliance that makes him seem competent.

32 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Best post of the day.

45 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

More silliness.

28 minutes ago, KRL said:

Folk needs to kick a 22 yard FG and a PAT, period 

I keep telling this to everybody! Anyone who follows football knows that its the small things that come back & bite you in your azz. My wife doesn't follow football, she just listens to me ramble, but after the blocked kick, I was pissed & after the missed extra point I said, "NOW THATS GONNA COME BACK & BITE US!"

Bengals are too f*cking good to screw up the gimmes! THOSE WERE GIMME POINTS PEOPLE! Ask Belichick & Gostkowski, that sh*t is AUTOMATIC up in New England. Gostkowski hit a f*cking 52 yarder last night for the 3 point lead! 52 YARDS! BB had NOTHING to do with that sh*t! Just like Bowles had nothing to do with Folks f*ckups!

Regardless of EVERY SH*TTY THING that happened in that game, Folk hits that FG & Extra point, I think the Jets win. Not only did we not get 3 easy points on the blocked FG, it COMPLETELY changed the rush of MOMENTUM that was on the Jets side. Those missed kicks were HUGE, for more than one reason.

1 hour ago, PCP63 said:

Though I understand what you're saying, I cant agree with this. 

Everyone knows how I feel about Ryan Fitzpatrick, but you dont bench him after this game. I think Chan is the best OC we've had the past 20 years (arguably). I have no problem with Chan as our OC. Are there moments where I say "WTF was that"? Sure, on a play by play basis. But as a whole, just as a quality coordinator, I think the Jets have a top 10 OC in the league, not kidding.

I also dont think Fitz is that terrible of a decision maker. He's an inconsistent thrower. One moment he'll throw a strike across the middle for a nice 25 yard gain, then next moment he'll over throw Marshall on a 10 yard pass in the endzone by a f'ing mile,...one moment he'll have a nice scramble for 10 yards and a first down then the next play he'll hang his WR out to dry with a limp pass. If we had a consistent "good Ryan Fitzpatrick" he'd be a top 15 QB in this league. There are also times during crunch time where he concentrates solely on one WR (Decker or Marshall). He literally makes that decision before the ball is in play it looks like. However, of the QB's we've seen play in live games (Fitz & Geno) FItz is a better decision maker while Geno has the better overall physical attributes (Im not making a Geno argument here ladies and gentlemen...just an observation). You also cannot trust Fitz in the 4th quarter on a two minute drive consistently. Sure, he had great drives against the Giants and Cowboys last season, but the Giants had arguably the worst defense in the league as well as the Cowboys who also had their top 2 offensive weapons injured when we played them. Anytime he had the ball in his hands against a solid defense or a playoff caliber team the dude literally ended the game with interceptions, and I mean that literally. Fitz has to have the lead late in the fourth. If he has the ball with 1min/2mins left in the game and you need a game winning drive, might as well forget it. 

Fitz problem yesterday was his accuracy. Dude was horrible yesterday, but many of his decisions were the right one. Now where I do agree with you is that I dont believe that we're going to the playoffs with FItzpatrick as the QB. I think whats going to happen is that we'll probably end up beating an injury-riddled Bills team next week and suddenly people will be talking about how wrong people were about Fitzpatrick. Fitz is a tease, a wet dream...but with that said, you dont pay him 12 million and bench him after that performance. It was below average, not f'ing terrible. One or two of those redzone drives properly executed and we're singing a different tune around here. Thats Fitz in a nutshell. 

He does enough to where some will defend him but at the same time he lacks enough to where others want to bench him just based on the f'ing frustration. 

Fitz was below average, but its week 1. I had us at 3-3 heading into week 7 anyway. Anything below that would be a failure. 

4 hours ago, PCP63 said:

Knee jerk

5 hours ago, PCP63 said:

1322357079316_3963978.png

Archived