Alright, how fixable are the problems?

Integrity28

2 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Shows just how over rated sacks are. With all of the legitimate problems stated by the OP, one I do not agree with is Fitz not bailing out the D. The O drove down and kicked 2 4th Q FG's to give us the lead, which should have been enough to win this game had the "top 5 defense" not folded like a deck of cards on the last drive and closed out the goddamned game for once. This is a recurring theme with this supposedly "top 5 defense". Remember we have Fitz, not Ben, not Brady, not Luck so if our "top 5 defense" is given a lead late in the game, I would expect them to be able to make a play or 2 to stop the opponents last drive.

I am sorry guys and gals, I am just so sick of hearing about our "top 5 defense" that can never ever make a play to win a game. I have to be honest, every time we have a lead with say, 2 minutes to go in a game, I turn the game off because I know exactly what is going to happen. It happened like clockwork Sunday.

This is 100% true.  The defense choked and they are no where near as good as they think they are.

Average LB'ers, terrible CB's and good safeties coupled with a monster DL. 

That said, if the offense scores a TD instead of a FG, then the Bengals need to score a TD to win instead of a FG.  HUGE difference. The offense saw the D all game long.  They were getting torched.  Did anyone actually have any confidence they would make a stop?  I didnt. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, JiF said:

This is 100% true.  The defense choked and they are no where near as good as they think they are.

That said, if the offense scores a TD instead of a FG, then the Bengals need to score a TD to win instead of a FG.  HUGE difference. The offense saw the D all game long.  They were getting torched.  Did anyone actually have any confidence they would make a stop?  I didnt. 

I would rather have 0 sacks in the game and have enough juice left at the end of the game to close it out, which we apparently never do. Denver proved this last year, they hit the OQB's more than sacked them.

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Bingo, and that's the fault in our stars for this season now that we've lost the must-win home opener.

To get to 3-3 we need to go 3-2 now and so, for better or worse, if we are to be a playoff team we are going to have to beat Buffalo, KC, and Pittsburgh this month.  Losing to Cincinnati not only means we have to win 3 of our next 5 but it also means we have to overcome the wildcard/conference hit of losing to the Bengals.  Losing to KC and Pittsburgh while beating Seattle and Arizona isn't the same as 3-3, in the AFC that's the same as 2-4 or worse.

SAR I

This is a good point.  yeah, Conference record comes in here.  But Pitt looks like the chances of beating them is pretty slim.  KC might be easier, but I don't see the Jets beating AZ even if NE did.  That leaves Seattle.  Maybe Wilson will still be hurting/out.

Back to one game at a time.

2 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

I would rather have 0 sacks in the game and have enough juice left at the end of the game to close it out, which we apparently never do. Denver proved this last year, they hit the OQB's more than sacked them.

We had 10 QB hits and 7 sacks...there is a reason they adjusted and kept an extra lineman in for almost most of the 2nd half and why we saw so many quick outs, screens and swing passes.

The big hits they had outside of the long bomb Green TD was because our coaching staff was having substitution problems and the Bengals were taking advantage of the D not being ready/set. 

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

The Jets O and ST put the ball on the 16 yard line with 120 seconds on the clock.  A Top 5 NFL defense would not allow a punch drunk QB and a single quality WR to go 60 yards and win it on a FG.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Jets O and ST put the ball on the 16 yard line with 120 seconds on the clock.  A Top 5 NFL defense would not allow a punch drunk QB and a single quality WR to go 60 yards and win it on a FG.

SAR I

Agreed.  I'm not defending the D.  They were terrible.

I'm just saying, the offense sucked too and if they could have scored a TD, the defense is in a much better position to close the game out.

And this clearly isnt a top 5 D.  Lets get that out of our heads immediately. 

31 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Shows just how over rated sacks are. With all of the legitimate problems stated by the OP, one I do not agree with is Fitz not bailing out the D. The O drove down and kicked 2 4th Q FG's to give us the lead, which should have been enough to win this game had the "top 5 defense" not folded like a deck of cards on the last drive and closed out the goddamned game for once. This is a recurring theme with this supposedly "top 5 defense". Remember we have Fitz, not Ben, not Brady, not Luck so if our "top 5 defense" is given a lead late in the game, I would expect them to be able to make a play or 2 to stop the opponents last drive.

I am sorry guys and gals, I am just so sick of hearing about our "top 5 defense" that can never ever make a play to win a game. I have to be honest, every time we have a lead with say, 2 minutes to go in a game, I turn the game off because I know exactly what is going to happen. It happened like clockwork Sunday.

Yes. Those 7 sacks in the Superbowl very overrated. Sacks and the pressure that comes with them defines the effectiveness of a defense these days. Nobody cares about the run and you can't touch the receiver after 5 yards. Sacks are king. Look at the pass rusher salaries.  Wow. Im pissed about us not making the big stop when we need it too. But sacks are being over rated is crazy talk.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

IMO that's our max. Ten wins. It usually gets you in. But I'm not saying impossible to win 11. We almost did last year. I think the NEP W has people a little too depressed. But you've got to give them credit they beat a good team but by two points. We can beat Arizona too. But they will have to do a better job covering Fitzgerald. 

If Arizona's corners and OL continue to play that bad, then a number of teams may be able to beat them. Hope so, at least.

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

Sacks aren't over-rated, the stat when referenced out of context is just misunderstood.

For instances, and sack on first down, that is followed by your defense stuffing a 2nd down run, and then allowing a 3rd and 12 conversion is useless. 

But, a sack on 3rd and 12, that puts the game away is priceless.

Sacks are good. Getting them at the right time is what makes the difference though. See, Von Miller and Demarcus Ware.

Archived