BREAKING - Jets Color Rush Uniforms To Feature "Distracting" White Facemasks

SAR I

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, slats said:

Too bad. The best thing about last year's version was the metallic decals on the helmet. 

Doc2.jpg.c233418434963e90de8e5aebd6bb71e

My 15 year old son is fanatical about uniforms and sports logos and belongs to a forum about such things (who knew?) and at first he was very excited about this image that broke in that forum which, combined with Todd Bowles' press conference cap choices, led him to believe that we were going to go with the old school all white logo shown above.

That would have been cool, but alas.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Doc2.jpg.c233418434963e90de8e5aebd6bb71e

My 15 year old son is fanatical about uniforms and sports logos and belongs to a forum about such things (who knew?) and at first he was very excited about this image that broke in that forum which, combined with Todd Bowles' press conference cap choices, led him to believe that we were going to go with the old school all white logo shown above.

SAR I

that would have made sense.

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Colts never won anything with white facemasks.  But as soon as they turned to grey, watch out, they won divisions, conferences, and the Lombardi.  Just less distracting.

SAR I

actually they went to blue for many years before they went to grey.

Only the Giants have won Super Bowls w/ a white facemask winning in XXI and XXV(also won 2 more w/ grey)

Pitt won 2 w/ grey facemasks and have won 4 more w/ black facemasks

GB won 2 w/ grey and 2 w/ green

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

actually they went to blue for many years before they went to grey.

Only the Giants have won Super Bowls w/ a white facemask winning in XXI and XXV(also won 2 more w/ grey)

Pitt won 2 w/ grey facemasks and have won 4 more w/ black facemasks

GB won 2 w/ grey and 2 w/ green

Outstanding historical perspective, only 2 of 50 Super Bowl Champions wore white facemasks or 4%.  I don't like those odds.  We are going to get killed on Thursday.

SAR I

Not sure why Nike and the NFL choose the color rush scheme.  I don't mind the jersey but to have the pants and shoes match isn't really something pretty to look at. Maybe it works with the Oregon Ducks but the NFL should just go with old school commemorative jerseys they want on Thursday's or just or keep the color rush but don't do the rest of the outfit. I bought the color rush one last year and it looks pretty good with any other color than the same exact one.

16 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Not sure why Nike and the NFL choose the color rush scheme.  I don't mind the jersey but to have the pants and shoes match isn't really something pretty to look at. Maybe it works with the Oregon Ducks but the NFL should just go with old school commemorative jerseys they want on Thursday's or just or keep the color rush but don't do the rest of the outfit. I bought the color rush one last year and it looks pretty good with any other color than the same exact one.

fans have the power, don't buy the color rush merchandise and it will goa way quickly.

I agree with you though, I'd rather see a throwback matchup.  what they should do is highlight a special game in history among the teams.  For example, Jets-Bills 1981 WC game(though we lost) and replicate the uni's from those historical matchups and even paint the field the exact same way it was for the historical game.  I know they will only use one helmet but they can afford to paint them and put on old decals for a game.  it would be fun to watch and for certain teams there would be numerous different jerseys the leauge could sell which is what is most important to them.

These look TERRIBLE.  Sure a handful might look pretty good, but the idea of going to all same color head to toe is just dumb imo.  Worst part is they kept the Jets full green color rush for marketing but we won't ever play in it b/c of the color blindness issue found last year.  Why can't they just give us vintage kelly green and white instead.

CsPFg1hW8AA0RVO.jpg:large

Doc2.jpg.c233418434963e90de8e5aebd6bb71e9.jpg

SAR I

I do like the whites over the green especially the old logo.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, prime21 said:

The reason for Color Rush being the TNF alternate uniform combo is because of concussions.

Few years back, the NFL effectively put an end to the throwbacks because it was determined that changing a players head gear was dangerous and that staying with the same helmet all season reduced the risk of being concussed.  As such, teams can't change the entire helmet (ex Jets to Titans blue, Patriots to 60's white, etc.) can only change the decals.  That really limits creativity, so the idea of creating jerseys on bold/bright colors was born and thus Color Rush.

As far as why the jersey/pants/shoes all match, I think it's tied in to the above, without the helmet changing you've got to do something really dominant with the rest of the uniform and a monochromatic look was determined to be what was called for.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The reason for Color Rush being the TNF alternate uniform combo is because of concussions.

Few years back, the NFL effectively put an end to the throwbacks because it was determined that changing a players head gear was dangerous and that staying with the same helmet all season reduced the risk of being concussed.  As such, teams can't change the entire helmet (ex Jets to Titans blue, Patriots to 60's white, etc.) can only change the decals.  That really limits creativity, so the idea of creating jerseys on bold/bright colors was born and thus Color Rush.

As far as why the jersey/pants/shoes all match, I think it's tied in to the above, without the helmet changing you've got to do something really dominant with the rest of the uniform and a monochromatic look was determined to be what was called for.

SAR I

but they can, they can have them repainted for those special games.  They repaint them every week anyway.

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

This 50 billion dollar conglomerate doesn't have the $$$ to make alternate helmets for one off games  SMH

11 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

These look TERRIBLE.  Sure a handful might look pretty good, but the idea of going to all same color head to toe is just dumb imo.  Worst part is they kept the Jets full green color rush for marketing but we won't ever play in it b/c of the color blindness issue found last year.  Why can't they just give us vintage kelly green and white instead.

The Jets play the Dolphins on 12/17 which is a Saturday and a designated NFL Network game, so that will be Color Rush too and we will be able to wear our all-green's again.

The issue is that when we play the Bills it affects those with red/green colorblindness, not so when we play the Dolphins who wear bright orange.  Link to all TNF games, including the two Saturday contests, is here:

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2016/TNF

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

The Jets play the Dolphins on 12/17 which is a Saturday and a designated NFL Network game, so that will be Color Rush too and we will be able to wear our all-green's again.

The issue is that when we play the Bills it affects those with red/green colorblindness, not so when we play the Dolphins.  Link to all TNF games, including the two Saturday contests, is here:

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2016/TNF

SAR I

The issue for the Jets green is it blends into the grass and you can't see the Jets team (for color blind people)  If the green is still the same as it was last year this will still be a problem this year, for color blind people they see a bunch of floating helmets lol  Honestly not sure if you will see the Jets in the green color rush at all.  Its not just an issue when playing the Bills its just a worse issue when playing them.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

but they can, they can have them repainted for those special games.  They repaint them every week anyway.

I believe the helmets are molded from plastic in the core color, I believe they touch them up with buffing and such but don't actually use paint.  My sons Riddell helmets worked that way, I assume the pro's do likewise.

Now, one can argue that in college there are schools with several alternate helmets and that technology exists to wrap the helmets in 3M wrap (like certain cars do) but we're not there yet, I guess the NFL wanted to try Color Rush first.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, prime21 said:

This 50 billion dollar conglomerate doesn't have the $$$ to make alternate helmets for one off games  SMH

The issue is the fit of the helmet, the interior skull pads and their micro-adjustments make a more custom fit each time they are worn.  Its not about the money, it's about the safety.  That's what I read at least, not sure if it's BS or not.

EDIT:  Article here:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/17/nfl-safety-committees-told-teams-not-to-wear-throwback-helmets/

SAR I

4 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

The issue for the Jets green is it blends into the grass and you can't see the Jets team (for color blind people)  If the green is still the same as it was last year this will still be a problem this year, for color blind people they see a bunch of floating helmets lol  Honestly not sure if you will see the Jets in the green color rush at all.  Its not just an issue when playing the Bills its just a worse issue when playing them.

Maybe they need to watch the game on a black and white TV. :)

9 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Bills-Jets-Color-Rush-Colorblind-view.jp

Nah, it wasn't the green-on-green effect, colorblind people can see the darker players on the lighter field.

The issue is clear above.  Red and green both appear to be the same shade of blech and can't be easily discerned.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, jackhuntr said:

Maybe they need to watch the game on a black and white TV. :)

Careful there, Jack. 

You don't want the Colorblind Lives Matter people getting all pissed off, raising fists and sitting down for the Thursday Night Football theme now, do you?

[Click video above for a laugh]

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Bills-Jets-Color-Rush-Colorblind-view.jp

Nah, it wasn't the green-on-green effect, colorblind people can see the darker players on the lighter field.

The issue is clear above.  Red and green both appear to be the same shade of blech and can't be easily discerned.

SAR I

You are 100% right, I was misremembering an article after the fiasco last year.

With that said, I did find this:

But all told, nine teams won't actually wear the uniforms in 2016.  

Thats including the Jets.  Totally useless cash grab for more jersey sales. 

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Careful there, Jack. 

You don't want the Colorblind Lives Matter people getting all pissed off, raising fists and sitting down for the Thursday Night Football theme now, do you?

[Click video above for a laugh]

SAR I

I dunno... this is what that game looked like to me.

Archived