Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JetNation

Jets Passing Offense Film Review- Week 1 (Bengals)

Recommended Posts

C- is about right for this week.  The Bengals are a good team and he's going to struggle against good defenses.  

At this point in his career we shouldn't expect him to get better or "improve his ability to scan the field" - He's a hard working, weak armed, single read QB with strong leadership skills - that's our guy and we're going to live or die with him.

With that said, he had us in a position to win the game.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice analysis.  Cool.  Fact remains if RF noodle arms along against Bills, putting us at 0-2, Bowles would be smart to make plans to start Petty against Chiefs. He would have little to lose, given the likely outcome of the season under Fitz.  If Petty cant handle it, reinsert Fitz, and don't even worry about hurting his pride, which is irrelevant to the business that is football, and would hardly be construed as panicking.  So let's at least give us a chance to deny teams the luxury of defending half a field of play. We have the weapons.  Let's use them, before the season is irredeemably lost, which can happen real fast in this league, as everyone here knows all too well.  Doing nothing would start to cast an increasingly looming shadow over Bowles' ability to adapt situationally.  He needs to be smart and bold here and stop the bleeding immediately, if the Jets start to hemorrhage offensively Thursday night. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B

Fitz looked a bit rusty. his timing was off.  He also made some nice throws.  He did enough to win the game if Folk did what he is paid to do

 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with your assessment. A C- is correct imo. It was below average, but not a terrible game. The Bengals are a good team and that blocked punt did hurt...but we left 14 points in the redzone. The decker Gif you made was a go-ahead TD as well as the overthrow to Marshall in the back of the endzone. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best receiver corps in the entire NFL

 

Forte, Powell playing well

 

OL looked good

 

20 friggin points at home

 

If that's not an obvious sign Fitz should be benched for Geno or Petty what is?

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice read and vids. The new feature is also a great idea.

Fitz is a very limited QB. He will never lead this team to the SB. That is what the Jets should be playing for. His weak arm really hurts the Jets there is a real reason why the other teams did not sign him. I am sort of embarrassed that he held out on the Jets. That can only happen here.

There was a thread that stated something about this being a two game season. That is a reality for Fitzpatrick.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

great analysis. C- is pretty generous on his grade, especially since some of the "reads" are just luck in that his locked on receiver happened to get open. Reality is that a decent QB would have thrown at least an additional TD, probably 2 with exactly the same play sequences Fitz had and we win the game easily. His grade is an F. Nothing above shows average,

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have the time to read all this today.

What I want to know is if B-Marsh looked less than 100% with his hip problem?

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks a million for the great analysis! 

I am wondering, and have to ask due to lack of experience watching the game, how common it is for the average NFL-QB to make these quick reads?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Best receiver corps in the entire NFL

 

Forte, Powell playing well

 

OL looked good

 

20 friggin points at home

 

If that's not an obvious sign Fitz should be benched for Geno or Petty what is?

 

The play of Geno or Petty.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Best receiver corps in the entire NFL

 

Forte, Powell playing well

 

OL looked good

 

20 friggin points at home

 

If that's not an obvious sign Fitz should be benched for Geno or Petty what is?

 

The very last thing on Bowles' mind is making a change at Qb. It's not happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JetNation said:

Conclusion:

Ryan Fitzpatrick is not an elite QB, and I don’t think the sternest of Fitzpatrick fans would disagree with that statement.  He is an average QB that can take advantage of weak defenses because he has arguably the best pass catching options in the game.  The Bengals are not a weak defense, however, and therefore he struggled.   On too many occasions, Fitzpatrick locked into his first read and paid for it.  The Bengals had his snap count timed almost perfectly throughout the day, and they baited him into predictable audibles too many times.  This was a bad game offensively for the Jets, although they were two Nick Folk kicks away from winning this game.  Fitzpatrick needs to improve his ability to scan the field moving forward, and he needs to be willing to run more often to offset defenses that are dropping LBs into coverage more often than not.   It’s not a good start for the Jets, but hopefully, they recover against the Bills.

Fitzpatrick Grade:  C-

Forum Questions:

What grade would you give Fitzpatrick?  

 

Just fantastic, really learned a lot, thank you for taking the time to do this.  Wow.

The only thing I would say is that it isn't fair to judge Fitzpatrick on an unweighted scale.  If Tom Brady or Ben Roethlisberger had the exact same game,  a C- would be an appropriate grade because they are capable of A+ games all the time.  The game we just saw Fitzpatrick have is about at the top of his capabilities based on his age, his history, and the level of competition.

So I'd give Ryan Fitzpatrick a B+ or an A- for this game.  Some clutch 3rd down conversions, 2 pretty TD passes, the only INT in desperation time with seconds left and no timeouts, he handed his defense a lead with 2 minutes left at the 16 yard line, he made the miracle throw to 15 but Marshall dropped it.  It's one of the better games he's had as a New York Jet and frankly it's all he's really capable of delivering.   We didn't sign Aaron Rodgers.

SAR I

  • Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for taking he time to put this together. sadly those of us who know better saw this coming, that last year was a mirage driven by a cupcake schedule against bottom feeders. On the flip side the gailey fitz system is the kind of offense you'd expect a rookie QB to run, so when the team decides to move on after this year there should be a minimal learning curve

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Larz said:

Where do you get those videos?

He creates them himself.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Thanks a million for the great analysis! 

I am wondering, and have to ask due to lack of experience watching the game, how common it is for the average NFL-QB to make these quick reads?

It depends on the offensive scheme the average NFL QB is in. There's alot of pre-snap reads in our offense as well as stretching of the defense. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

awesome post, thx a lot! Fitz left a lot of plays on the field yesterday. A 54% completion pct is horrible, esp when you consider a number of those completions were screens or shovel passes. We need better than that for sure. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, flgreen said:

B

Fitz looked a bit rusty. his timing was off.  He also made some nice throws.  He did enough to win the game if Folk did what he is paid to do

 

 

I'll go back to school if you'll be my professor. 

Fitz completed 54% of his passes, getting credit for two of those completions on forward handoffs to Quincy Enunwa. Lol, B.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Just fantastic, really learned a lot, thank you for taking the time to do this.  Wow.

The only thing I would say is that it isn't fair to judge Fitzpatrick on an unweighted scale.  If Tom Brady or Ben Roethlisberger had the exact same game,  a C- would be an appropriate grade because they are capable of A+ games all the time.  The game we just saw Fitzpatrick have is about at the top of his capabilities based on his age, his history, and the level of competition.

So I'd give Ryan Fitzpatrick a B+ or an A- for this game.  Some clutch 3rd down conversions, 2 pretty TD passes, the only INT in desperation time with seconds left and no timeouts, he handed his defense a lead with 2 minutes left at the 16 yard line, he made the miracle throw to 15 but Marshall dropped it.  It's one of the better games he's had as a New York Jet and frankly it's all he's really capable of delivering.   We didn't sign Aaron Rodgers.

SAR I

Grading on a curve?  In Football?  

You keep participation trophies on a mantle, dont you? 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great breakdown as always.  Any Jet fan who is more than a casual fan should really spend at least a few minutes reviewing these breakdowns.  It's very easy to miss things during the game when friends/family/beers are involved.  Not to mention TV coverage doesn't give a good view of the field.

Heck, even coaches many times need to review the tape before giving their opinions.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

47 isn't Trevor Reilly. It's Kellen Davis. Trevor Reilly isn't a tight end or on the team anymore. He still may actually be a better tight end than Davis though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Great breakdown as always.  Any Jet fan who is more than a casual fan should really spend at least a few minutes reviewing these breakdowns.  It's very easy to miss things during the game when friends/family/beers are involved.  Not to mention TV coverage doesn't give a good view of the field.

Heck, even coaches many times need to review the tape before giving their opinions.

Thanks.  

I think eventually. this is going to be more prevalent on websites in the future.  Last year, there were about 1 or 2 sites that did them, so I thought it had untapped potential.  Now I see them at about 4 or 5 sites already, so I think more and more people are going to get into it.  It's a great thing because it really enhances the viewpoint for fans because they get to see the whole field and the chess match.  

Need to come up with something else by next year probably to stay relevant, lol.  

9 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

47 isn't Trevor Reilly. It's Kellen Davis. Trevor Reilly isn't a tight end or on the team anymore. He still may actually be a better tight end than Davis though.

Oh damn.  My bad.  Yeah, I saw 47 out there and for some reason, assumed it was Reilly.  Thanks for pointing it out, I'll edit it now.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have Game Pass so I can't go back to review all plays. But I remember a play, probably second quarter but I might be wrong there, when Fitz threw a pass straight at a MLB(?) who somehow let it slip between his hands. That throw was for me the most baffling of the day. He must have seen a ghost on that play, there was no Jet even close to that pass. I can't find it among the clips above though. 

This is just an observation, no intention to rip on Fitzpatrick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

I don't have Game Pass so I can't go back to review all plays. But I remember a play, probably second quarter but I might be wrong there, when Fitz threw a pass straight at a MLB(?) who somehow let it slip between his hands. That throw was for me the most baffling of the day. He must have seen a ghost on that play, there was no Jet even close to that pass. I can't find it among the clips above though. 

This is just an observation, no intention to rip on Fitzpatrick. 

I believe the play you are talking about is the pass to Marshall running a deep in route.  I didn't include it because, the pass was tipped by Margus Hunt, who is basically in the NFL because of his size at 6'8".  I remember looking at him when he was in the draft a few years ago, and his main claim to fame was the ability to tip passes.  He's was the one that blocked the kick on Nick Folk as well.  I didn't really know who to blame on that one, just seemed like a freaky play.  Hunt is huge, and the tipped pass led to the errant throw.  It was a bad read because there were better options on the play, but Marshall did have a small window.  I didn't know where to go with the breakdown because the tipped pass changed everything.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every week, this is my favorite post of the week.  You do an unbelievable job.  All great.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Every week, this is my favorite post of the week.  You do an unbelievable job.  All great.

Thanks, I do appreciate it.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Maxman said:

These are amazing, thanks Alvin.

Thanks.  

2 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Trevor Reilly?

It was an error, corrected it after CrazyCarl pointed it out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...