So when does Revis move to free safety?

drdetroit

I don't care if Revis thinks he needs to end up at free safety to prolong his career.  We're not devoting $17M in cap space this year and $15.3M next year to a f*cking safety. 

He can play FS to his heart's content with the Washington Redskins.  But as long as he's a Jet (which will be until the end of the 2017 season unless we trade him, based on how his contract is structured), he's a corner.

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't care if Revis thinks he needs to end up at free safety to prolong his career.  We're not devoting $17M in cap space this year and $15.3M next year to a f*cking safety. 

He can play FS to his heart's content with the Washington Redskins.  But as long as he's a Jet (which will be until the end of the 2017 season unless we trade him, based on how his contract is structured), he's a corner.

As frustrating as it is you can't run a team that way....That's the same as starting a bust 2nd round WR for three years - even though he stinks.  You don't compound the initial bad decision with continued ones.  You accept your initial error and move on.

In the Revis case the initial contract was almost certainly pushed on him by the owner - so it should be easier for Mac/Bowles to make this move.  If it's the correct one - which we really won't know until this season plays out.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

As frustrating as it is you can't run a team that way....That's the same as starting a bust 2nd round WR for three years - even though he stinks.  You don't compound the initial bad decision with continued ones.  You accept your initial error and move on.

In the Revis case the initial contract was almost certainly pushed on him by the owner - so it should be easier for Mac/Bowles to make this move.  If it's the correct one - which we really won't know until this season plays out.

But it's not even remotely close to the right decision from a football perspective, either.  At FS, Revis would just be spending all day trying to take care of blown coverages by other corners.  That's not a good use of his skillset, even if he's on the decline as a player.  If we had solid corners and didn't need Revis there, it would make some sense.  But that's not the situation we're in. 

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But it's not even remotely close to the right decision from a football perspective, either.  At FS, Revis would just be spending all day trying to take care of blown coverages by other corners.  That's not a good use of his skillset, even if he's on the decline as a player.  If we had solid corners and didn't need Revis there, it would make some sense.  But that's not the situation we're in. 

two different issues...the initial post I quoted referenced that as long as his contract so high he needs to play CB.  I simply disagree with that logic.  His contact, at this point, should have no bearing on where he plays.  His skills and only his skills should be the determining factor.  

I agree that it's likely not the best use of his skill set and should stay at corner - even if you bring in "one" and make him the two...but it shouldn't be because of his contract.

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Somebody needs a hug?

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

two different issues...the initial post I quoted referenced that as long as his contract so high he needs to play CB.  I simply disagree with that logic.  His contact, at this point, should have no bearing on where he plays.  His skills and only his skills should be the determining factor.  

I agree that it's likely not the best use of his skill set and should stay at corner - even if you bring in "one" and make him the two...but it shouldn't be because of his contract.

It becomes a factor when Revis himself is the one pushing this idea that he should play FS, and says he should so that he can be effective deeper into his career.  That's Revis knowing it might be the only way he gets one more nice contract at 32/33:  By moving to FS.  But it isn't in the best interests of the Jets.  It's in the best interests of Revis, AFTER he moves on to another team. 

There hasn't been one peep of a rumor that the Jets themselves want to make that move, nor should there be. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It becomes a factor when Revis himself is the one pushing this idea that he should play FS, and says he should so that he can be effective deeper into his career.  That's Revis knowing it might be the only way he gets one more nice contract at 32/33.  By moving to FS.  But it isn't in the best interests of the Jets.  There hasn't been one peep of a rumor that the Jets themselves want to make that move. 

All I'm saying is the Jets should use Revis how they believe he can best help the team win.  F- what Revis wants...There is no obligation whatsoever on the Jets part to do Revis any favors

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

All I'm saying is the Jets should use Revis how they believe he can best help the team win.  F- what Revis wants...There is no obligation whatsoever on the Jets part to do Revis any favors

Don't want a 16mil safety. 

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Can't imagine anyone would want a $16mm a year safety - but if you're stuck with one and believe it's the best thing for your team...that's what you do.  You don't let a players contract or draft position dictate how you use him

He's the Jets starting CB this year and next. In 2018, he may not even be on our roster but until then, he's not switching to safety anytime soon. Not a chance. We have zero cap space next year and there is just no way we can find two starting CBs in the next years draft and FA. 

Move Revis t safety because he is a horrible corner?  C'mon, give me a break.  Yes, he is being paid like he is the Revis of 5 years ago but there is nothing we can do about that.  He is the best CB on the team and we are going to move him to safety?   WR's like Green, Brown, Jones, OBJ, are putting up huge numbers almost every week versus teams top CB's or even when double covered.  Revis was an elite shutdown corner for many years but now he is "just" a very good cb.  

Archived