Story Of Two Williams

KRL

One going up (Leonard) and one who has major questions (Marcus):

- Leonard Williams continues the dominant play that we saw all camp and in the pre-season.
The combination of speed, power and technique he's showing is scary.  He absolutely brutalized
a good CIN OLine all day.  Can Jet fans wrap their head around the idea that we may have the
next great DLineman in football on the team at 22 years old???

- Marcus Williams had a good season in 2015 as the #4 CB behind Revis, Cro and Skrine.  But now
he's been elevated into a quasi-starter with the amount of times we deploy three CB's.  And he
didn't get off to a good start on Sunday.  He was responsible for two of the big plays the secondary
gave up:

* The long completion to Ozumah(?) was his fault, instead of playing the man he went for the ball
   and missed both
 * The Green TD pass was his fault, because he didn't fall back into a safety position and give 
   Revis help

It makes you wonder if he can step up to the increased responsibility coming his way or is he just
a #4 CB  

I vividly remember Marcus' first game  against the Chiefs in 2014. The Idzik year, he was signed off the street pretty much, came in (started that day?), and played really well considering what we had that season. He had at least two PDs that game and played strictly man. I think he was better that day than he has shown thus far in the PS and this past Sunday. The fact that he can't tackle makes it even worse. Luckily for us, he seems to be at the right place at the right time a lot.

Leonard is a grown fcking man at 21. Double digit sacks for the next 13 years??? Yes please.

19 minutes ago, KRL said:

One going up (Leonard) and one who has major questions (Marcus):

- Leonard Williams continues the dominant play that we saw all camp and in the pre-season.
The combination of speed, power and technique he's showing is scary.  He absolutely brutalized
a good CIN OLine all day.  Can Jet fans wrap their head around the idea that we may have the
next great DLineman in football on the team at 22 years old???

- Marcus Williams had a good season in 2015 as the #4 CB behind Revis, Cro and Skrine.  But now
he's been elevated into a quasi-starter with the amount of times we deploy three CB's.  And he
didn't get off to a good start on Sunday.  He was responsible for two of the big plays the secondary
gave up:

* The long completion to Ozumah(?) was his fault, instead of playing the man he went for the ball
   and missed both
 * The Green TD pass was his fault, because he didn't fall back into a safety position and give 
   Revis help

It makes you wonder if he can step up to the increased responsibility coming his way or is he just
a #4 CB  

FWIW on the pass to Ozumah - the defense wasnt set.  They had substitution issues and the Bengals snapped the ball before the D got the call and were set.  They were all standing around looking for a call from the sidelines.  It was one of the numerous subs issues the Jets had. 

All the CB's struggled.  This concern isnt exclusive to Williams. 

Do we know that Williams was assigned to cover Usamah for sure?

I can put up with the odd fail from a guy like Marcus Williams because he is a playmaker that gets turnovers.  The thing that has hurt the jets in the secondary is that they have used picks on them over the years but most of these guys are not panning out.

Marcus Williams is the worst tackler I have ever seen, he makes Deion Sanders look like Ronnie Lott. He is a liability in the middle of the field. He has good ball skills, perhaps better to keep him outside and skrine in slot? Skrine is a much better tackler.  

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Do we know that Williams was assigned to cover Usamah for sure?

I can put up with the odd fail from a guy like Marcus Williams because he is a playmaker that gets turnovers.  The thing that has hurt the jets in the secondary is that they have used picks on them over the years but most of these guys are not panning out.

That's what I was saying in my post.  The coaches got the subs in late and the entire D was looking around for the call.  Williams included.  The Bengals snapped the ball quick when they noticed the subs issue and Williams was late to get set hence letting the WR behind him.

Gilchrist had a really poor game and we made some bad play calls. For starters, we played cover 1 when Cinci was in shotgun 3 wide and had the slot man run an in route to make the safety bite so AJ would have 1 on 1 coverage. We should have been doubling AJ on every play, especially considering the Bengals don't have a #2 WR. Let LaFell beat you.

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

That's what I was saying in my post.  The coaches got the subs in late and the entire D was looking around for the call.  Williams included.  The Bengals snapped the ball quick when they noticed the subs issue and Williams was late to get set hence letting the WR behind him.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves about NFL defenses these days, it is not unique to the jets.  Half the plays the LB's and some of the DB's are not ready and in good football positon at the snap of the ball, they are too busy yelling at each other, gesticulating and looking at teammates.  It annoys the hell out of me.

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

Darron Lee let the receiver get behind him, Williams was the one who went for the ball and whiffed, fwiw

Williams is pretty much what he's always been, a player of extremes, which can lead to some great plays and other absolutely awful ones.  It's a lot less of a concern when a guy like that is further down the depth chart and matching up against less talented WRs, because even when the gamble doesn't pay off, it's probably not going to hurt the team quite as much, especially when offset by a number of plays.  It becomes more problematic when playing a lot more against top talent.  He's still a solid enough player as a rotational guy, but the current DB situation means he'll be playing more than they'd ideally like.  Here's hoping Burris can step up as the season progresses and allow the Jets' to move Williams back to the situational role he's best suited for.

59 minutes ago, KRL said:

a #4 CB  

You can't blame Marcus. He's not a starter material. He might be able to hold the fort as your #3 on most Sundays, but I consider him as a decent depth guy. Lacks speed and coverage skills and is on the shorter side. He's always been a ballhawk who will give up plays. Im ok with him being the #4, which leaves room for the #3 CB. For now, that's him. 

I was so high on Marcus Williams...I honestly thought he would be our next starter.  Covered really well and rarely got beat..

Still plays solid coverage...but seems to get lost a lot, can't tackle and can't take on a block.  

Nickel corner in passing situations only.  That's what he is..and he'll be good at it.

Archived