jets are waiting to trade geno, in my humble opinion

jets rooter

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no personal animus towards Geno. He was drafted into a bad situation with a bad coach in the midst of a turf war with a doomed GM, and he tried. However, the humane thing to do is get him off the team so Petty and Hackenberg can get a bunch of snaps in practice and allow the Jets to move on from Fitzpatrick, promptly.

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Hi, we lost the tie-breaker last week.

That's a tough division with Cincy-Pitt-Balt all looking strong ... They will hurt each other in the L column throughout the year ... Pitt & Balt games still on the schedule ... Let's see how we do in those tiebreakers before giving up in the WC race ... Cincy could still take the division 

1 hour ago, ljr said:

That's a tough division with Cincy-Pitt-Balt all looking strong ... They will hurt each other in the L column throughout the year ... Pitt & Balt games still on the schedule ... Let's see how we do in those tiebreakers before giving up in the WC race ... Cincy could still take the division 

I guess you missed the Steelers game. 

16 hours ago, SAR I said:

Last year's team goes 7-9 if we faced an average schedule, as it was we needed 3 miracle wins to eke out a 10 win season with a cupcake schedule.

This offseason, we didn't add missing pieces to create a playoff masterpiece.  We lost Snacks so we got a replacement.  We lost Brick so we got a replacement.  We lost Ivory so we got a replacement.  These were not additions that built up the roster from 2015.  These just kept us flat to last year.  And all three replacements are injury-prone so we hang by a thread if any get dinged up.

As for the rest of the improvements, well, they're all rookies.  Lee, the two WR's, a LB, etc.

We are a rebuilding team with few draft picks and a limited budget.  Maccagnan has done the best he could but we are not a playoff team because we didn't actually win 10 legitimate games last year and we are only capable of 7 or 8 this year.

SAR I

This is so wrong on so many levels, Lets start with yes this team did have additions that improved the roster.  Clady is a big upgrade to Brick, Forte is a huge upgrade to Ivory.  Snacks is close but his replacement had two sacks on sun so..

Where the heck do you get Forte is injury prone?  He has never missed any significant time. 

They upgraded OLB and ILB very much with draft picks. 

They upgraded CB by getting rid of Cromarti. 

All of that plus the QB having a year with the same WR's is very important in getting timing down. 

They just lost a game because of a blocked FG and a missed extra point to a team that was 12-4 and won a tough division last year.  This is a playoff team with just a couple breaks this year.

40 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

This is so wrong on so many levels, Lets start with yes this team did have additions that improved the roster.  Clady is a big upgrade to Brick, Forte is a huge upgrade to Ivory.  Snacks is close but his replacement had two sacks on sun so..

Where the heck do you get Forte is injury prone?  He has never missed any significant time. 

All of that plus the QB having a year with the same WR's is very important in getting timing down. 

They just lost a game because of a blocked FG and a missed extra point to a team that was 12-4 and won a tough division last year.  This is a playoff team with just a couple breaks this year.

This is a playoff team with a real QB, but a huge question mark with what the Jets have to offer . The sad thing is, we will be going into 2017 the same way because nobody had the "Sand" to put their job on the line in the hope of finding a real QB .  That's what it's going to take for the Jets to get out from behind this quandary they find themselves in year after year.

That is all .

15 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

This is a playoff team with a real QB, but a huge question mark with what the Jets have to offer . The sad thing is, we will be going into 2017 the same way because nobody had the "Sand" to put their job on the line in the hope of finding a real QB .  That's what it's going to take for the Jets to get out from behind this quandary they find themselves in year after year.

That is all .

Hmmm should the Jets have drafted Paxton Lynch then or traded for Glennon?

17 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

if geno becomes the qb they are not making the playoffs.  they're not holding onto geno b/c he can admirably fill in for fitz.  they're holding onto him IMO b/c they think he may have trade value at some point, and they get nothing after the season.  they had no problem cutting milliner and amaro.  amaro was inactive for the titans and milliner cleared waivers.  those players have basically no value.  geno might, if there are more qb injuries.

As much as I know that Smith sucks, it is possible a team that loses its starting Qb and is playing its #2 might want him to back up the #2.  Not worth thinking what team might fit that bill at this point, but it is theoretically possible.

Of course so far no one has tried to get him, and the possible might never occur.

At some point the Jets will give up on trading him, and will then cut him.

17 hours ago, SAR I said:

Last year's team goes 7-9 if we faced an average schedule, as it was we needed 3 miracle wins to eke out a 10 win season with a cupcake schedule.

This offseason, we didn't add missing pieces to create a playoff masterpiece.  We lost Snacks so we got a replacement.  We lost Brick so we got a replacement.  We lost Ivory so we got a replacement.  These were not additions that built up the roster from 2015.  These just kept us flat to last year.  And all three replacements are injury-prone so we hang by a thread if any get dinged up.

As for the rest of the improvements, well, they're all rookies.  Lee, the two WR's, a LB, etc.

We are a rebuilding team with few draft picks and a limited budget.  Maccagnan has done the best he could but we are not a playoff team because we didn't actually win 10 legitimate games last year and we are only capable of 7 or 8 this year.

SAR I

You forget the Jets had a rookie HC last season with a new CS and OC in particular, and their special teams sucked.  All will be better this year. Someone else addressed your roster point, so that leaves last year's record.  The Jets should have won the games against the Eagles, Raiders and the second Buffalo game.  They could have as easily been 13-3 as the 7-9 you refer to with a harder schedule.

Geno is still on the roster because the Jets don't want to play Petty or Hack. They want to bring them along slowly. Should Fitz get hurt, they'll turn to Geno for as long as they're still in playoff contention. Petty might get some action if/when they're out of contention. 

20 hours ago, prime21 said:

Jets are built for the playoffs.  Geno, unfortunately, represents our best chance to win if Fitz gets hurt or looks completely horrible over the first part of the season.  If they thought Petty was able to fill that role then Geno would have been traded or cut already.

A valid presumption if you think they pick QBs and QB pecking orders based on absolutes rather than insecurity about perception should they fail. Frankly I think it's the latter. Fitz coming back because they're afraid of losing with a different QB after his 2015 season, and kept Geno as the #2 because he's the most experienced (and arguably the most talented; certainly the most talented one who can throw within 4 yards of his RB). But neither are really good - certainly not good enough - and Petty seemed good enough to handle the #2 job.

The reason to keep him at #3 - a reason for which I'd have sympathy - is if he was still panicky or still really needed to work on mechanics/footwork, like Hackenberg. I have no doubt Petty still has much growing to do as a QB but he didn't seem panicky in the pocket, to the extent he'd then start forming bad habits from which he can't easily shake loose. That's a sound reason to bury a kid at #3, but Petty sure didn't look like that in some live action.

From the preseason rumors they could have at least gotten some pick for Smith in August, and should have taken it. Maybe they'll get more if there are enough injuries in September, but they won't get any really good picks (like a 4th) for him unless a playoffs-possible team becomes somehow desperate enough to make him their starter, which is quite the long shot. 

The only other reason is if they want to get a look at Petty this year in the event of a Fitz injury, but not in these first 6 games because the competition is too stiff. Meh to that, but understandable.

21 hours ago, jets rooter said:

with all the injuries to starting q.b.s. and more in the future.the jets are hoping that teams desperate for a good deal for geno.I hope that they will deal geno for draft picks next year..

Picks?  One pick would be implausible enough, unless you mean the picks would be going the other way.

One would think Geno would have low value but what was given up for freaking Bradford was a tad eye opening.

A team would have to be super desperate and injury riddled to trade for him and the Jets will be in no rush to trade him either.  I don;t think the team totally trusts Petty and Hackenburg is a total non entity.

3 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Replacements:  If Clady, McClendon, and Forte buck their trends and stay healthy I feel good about them but they aren't huge improvements over last years trio, they won't be the reasons we make the playoffs if we are so fortunate.

Forte Injury Prone:

2016 NFL Leg Forte pulled his hamstring before training camp, missed several weeks.

2015 NFL Knee Forte sprained his MCL in week 9 and missed the next 3 games

2012 NFL Ankle Left a game with a high ankle sprain and missed a game afterwards He further aggravated his ankle injury in another 2 games causing him to leave the games against the Vikings and the Cardinals

2011 NFL Knee Sprained MCL and placed on IR. Missed the last 3 games 2009 NFL Knee Forte played through a sprained MCL the entire season and had a post season knee procedure

2009 NFL Leg Forte pulled a hamstring in preseason training and missed all of OTAs

2008 NFL Foot Forte played with a banged up big toe throughout the 2008 season. He did not miss any games but was clearly limited down the stretch

LB's:  Draft picks = rookies = can't count on them to be difference makers. It happens, but it is very much a work in progress. Would be extremely optimistic to view them as upgrades as I stated in my original post.

CB's:  Skrine was on the team last year, he and Cro rotated, this isn't an upgrade, it's just a different rotation, Williams is not necessarily better than Cromartie.

QB Bonding w/WR's:  Sure, that's great, but what are the odds that Fitzpatrick will have a repeat of last year's record-setting performance?  Low.

Playoff Team:  No, we are not a playoff team.  We are 7-9.  And when you say "with a couple of breaks" well, that was catching Cinncinatti and Buffalo early in the season and winning both games.  We are headed to 0-2 and chaos.  The 'break' was Sunday and we blew it.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Replacements:  If Clady, McClendon, and Forte buck their trends and stay healthy I feel good about them but they aren't huge improvements over last years trio, they won't be the reasons we make the playoffs if we are so fortunate.

Forte Injury Prone:

2016 NFL Leg Forte pulled his hamstring before training camp, missed several weeks.

2012 NFL Ankle Left a game with a high ankle sprain and missed a game afterwards He further aggravated his ankle injury in another 2 games causing him to leave the games against the Vikings and the Cardinals

2011 NFL Knee Sprained MCL and placed on IR. Missed the last 3 games 2009 NFL Knee Forte played through a sprained MCL the entire season and had a post season knee procedure

2009 NFL Leg Forte pulled a hamstring in preseason training and missed all of OTAs

2008 NFL Foot Forte played with a banged up big toe throughout the 2008 season. He did not miss any games but was clearly limited down the stretch

LB's:  Draft picks = rookies = can't count on them to be difference makers. It happens, but it is very much a work in progress. Would be extremely optimistic to view them as upgrades as I stated in my original post.

CB's:  Skrine was on the team last year, he and Cro rotated, this isn't an upgrade, it's just a different rotation, Williams is not necessarily better than Cromartie.

QB Bonding w/WR's:  Sure, that's great, but what are the odds that Fitzpatrick will have a repeat of last year's record-setting performance?  Low.

Playoff Team:  No, we are not a playoff team.  We are 7-9.  And when you say "with a couple of breaks" well, that was catching Cinncinatti and Buffalo early in the season and winning both games.  We are headed to 0-2 and chaos.  The 'break' was Sunday and we blew it.

SAR I

if the jets are not a playoff team it's b/c of the qb.  if you compare the aggregate talent besides qb to those of other teams the jets are fine.  unfortunately that's not how this whole thing works.

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I have no personal animus towards Geno. He was drafted into a bad situation with a bad coach in the midst of a turf war with a doomed GM, and he tried. However, the humane thing to do is get him off the team so Petty and Hackenberg can get a bunch of snaps in practice and allow the Jets to move on from Fitzpatrick, promptly.

While what you say is true, you should have personal animus towards Geno Smith because he has been unable to control the things that are within his control:

He does not act like a leader.  He has no fans in the locker room.  He boycotts the media like a child.  He posts lewd photos on social media like a stoner.  He let $600 cost him a starting NFL job.  He has had ample time to show improvement and could not win the starting job back from a journeyman and looks weaker than a college kid from a non-pro system.

The Jets dealt Geno Smith a bad hand years ago, but we are in Year 2 of the Maccanan regime and he is still demonstrating the lousy personal traits and lack of focus that doomed him in the first place.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

While what you say is true, you should have personal animus towards Geno Smith because he has been unable to control the things that are within his control:

He does not act like a leader.  He has no fans in the locker room.  He boycotts the media like a child.  He posts lewd photos on social media like a stoner.  He let $600 cost him a starting NFL job.  He has had ample time to show improvement and could not win the starting job back from a journeyman and looks weaker than a college kid from a non-pro system.

The Jets dealt Geno Smith a bad hand years ago, but we are in Year 2 of the Maccanan regime and he is still demonstrating the lousy personal traits and lack of focus that doomed him in the first place.

SAR I

he also got kicked off a plane, IIRC.  

Just now, Augustiniak said:

if the jets are not a playoff team it's b/c of the qb.  if you compare the aggregate talent besides qb to those of other teams the jets are fine.  unfortunately that's not how this whole thing works.

I was responding to some accusations in an earlier post from that poster, not making a case either way.

And, yes, the Jets are not a playoff team because their quarterback is not good enough to carry them through their flaws however the inverse is also true-  the Jets are not a playoff team because their defense and ground game is not strong enough to carry a game-manager quarterback's limitations. 

Fitzpatrick on last year's Broncos wins a Super Bowl.  Roethlisberger on this year's Jets wins a Super Bowl.  Neither scenario is applicable to this year's Jets.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I was responding to some accusations in an earlier post from that poster, not making a case either way.

And, yes, the Jets are not a playoff team because their quarterback is not good enough to carry them through their flaws however the inverse is also true-  the Jets are not a playoff team because their defense and ground game is not strong enough to carry a game-manager quarterback's limitations. 

Fitzpatrick on last year's Broncos wins a Super Bowl.  Roethlisberger on this year's Jets wins a Super Bowl.  Neither scenario is applicable to this year's Jets.

SAR I

gms are usually judged by finding qbs.  tanny tried, he drafted a few, rolled the dice on sanchez and farve was good until he got hurt.  mccags is doing exactly what he should be, trying to win now while grooming multiple qbs with the hope at least one pans out.  he also acquired fitz with the understanding if geno stunk last TC he had another option.  it's just frustrating to suffer season after season wondering if it will ever be 'our turn' to find a decent young qb, if not a very good one.  while fitz is clearly better than sanchez and geno he's also clearly inferior to so many others and it just makes you realize how awful it is to watch your team when you have arguably the worst starter in the nfl.

22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Forte Injury Prone:

SAR I

I stopped reading at the 2016 Forte pulling a hammy in TC.  Did you watch last week?  he was one of the most productive backs in the NFL week 1!!!  how dare you include 2016 as proof that he is injury prone.  SMH

14 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I stopped reading at the 2016 Forte pulling a hammy in TC.  Did you watch last week?  he was one of the most productive backs in the NFL week 1!!!  how dare you include 2016 as proof that he is injury prone.  SMH

And  missed OTAs with a hammy in 09.  Didn't miss any time but it's an example of being injury prone? 

Whats he missed 8 games? 

I like this group of RBs better because they're more versatile, gives Fitz an option 

OL so far looks a little promising.  If Clady stays healthy he's an upgrade over 2015 Brick.  

WR position is deeper and Enunwa is completely differ not player.  

Add in we've added 2 LBs over 2 who did nothing a year ago, were liabilities but their replacements are rookies so it's not an upgrade?  Let's let it play out.  

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And  missed OTAs with a hammy in 09.  Didn't miss any time but it's an example of being injury prone? 

Whats he missed 8 games? 

Add in we've added 2 LBs over 2 who did nothing a year ago, were liabilities but their replacements are rookies so it's not an upgrade?  Let's let it play out.  

this guy... 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Forte Injury Prone:

SAR I

2016 Forte has not missed any games

2015 Forte missed three games

2014 Forte missed zero games

2013 Forte Missed Zero Games

2012 Forte missed one game

2011 Missed three games

2010 Forte missed Zero games

2009 Forte Missed Zero games

2008 Forte Missed Zero games

So lets see, that's nine years 144 games.  Forte missed seven total games.

Give me a break and just stop.

Skrine and Cro did not rotate at all, Skrine played the slot.

Everything you have posted is a wish and a maybe. 

At least post truthful things if you want to convince anyone to think your point is possible.   

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Oh no. He does suck, but I'm not in the camp that has any personal hatred for him. Just send him on his way as a purely practical matter. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Got to love fans who give up on the next 15 games because we lost by a whole point in week 1.

new-york-jets-titan-green-white-tip-sung

Got to love fans who look at the Jets objectively and not through rose colored glasses.

We needed to open the season 2-0, then go 1-3, and start our last 10 games from a 3-3 position with key AFC tiebreakers over the Bengals and Bills.  Almost every NFL insider and Jets fan agrees with this.

We now have a must-win game at Buffalo and then must upset the Chiefs at Arrowhead or the Steelers at Heinz Field to undo the wildcard damage done by the Cincinnati loss.  If we lose both the Chiefs and the Steelers games, we must sweep the Bills and Patriots.  These are impossibilities, thus the season is over.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

gms are usually judged by finding qbs.  tanny tried, he drafted a few, rolled the dice on sanchez and farve was good until he got hurt.  mccags is doing exactly what he should be, trying to win now while grooming multiple qbs with the hope at least one pans out.  he also acquired fitz with the understanding if geno stunk last TC he had another option.  it's just frustrating to suffer season after season wondering if it will ever be 'our turn' to find a decent young qb, if not a very good one.  while fitz is clearly better than sanchez and geno he's also clearly inferior to so many others and it just makes you realize how awful it is to watch your team when you have arguably the worst starter in the nfl.

Yes, agree with it all.

Any fan who thought this was a playoff year with Ryan Fitzpatrick under center needs his head examined.  And this talk of "with a few breaks", well, that was Sunday, we caught the Bengals in their week-one funk, couldn't get it done.  Now we have to beat Buffalo on the road and upset either KC or Pittsburgh just to get back to where we were with 2 minutes left against the Bengals.  Our playoff hopes hung by a thread and that thread is gone.  No room for error now, just impossible to accomplish.

SAR I

18 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Completely agree.  If Geno isn't a part of the future, he definitely shouldn't be taking valuable practice reps and development time away from the other QB's who might turn into "THE" guy.  

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

new-york-jets-titan-green-white-tip-sung

Got to love fans who look at the Jets objectively and not through rose colored glasses.

We needed to open the season 2-0, then go 1-3, and start our last 10 games from a 3-3 position with key AFC tiebreakers over the Bengals and Bills.  Almost every NFL insider and Jets fan agrees with this.

We now have a must-win game at Buffalo and then must upset the Chiefs at Arrowhead or the Steelers at Heinz Field to undo the wildcard damage done by the Cincinnati loss.  If we lose both the Chiefs and the Steelers games, we must sweep the Bills and Patriots.  These are impossibilities, thus the season is over.

SAR I

Sure after one game that's the conclusion I would come to after we lose by one to one of the AFCs top teams.  Better I should be like you and run the idiotic idea that we needed to start 2-0.  Had to happen.  Well it didn't you can brag that you're whatever kind of fan it is that turns 0-1 into 4 wins.  

And let's face it, to think we could somehow recover from 0-1, you'd have to have green colored glasses on.  

10 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hmmm should the Jets have drafted Paxton Lynch then or traded for Glennon?

No, I happen to like what the Jets are doing with the exception of resigning Fitzpatrick even thou I understand why he was resigned . This was the year to find out once and for all if Geno could be the QB around here or even be a decent backup option .  The next thing would be to work Petty into the rotation towards the end of this season if things went south early . The way things were done, the Jets probably will never know for sure about Geno, and probably will need next season to start learning about Petty . The problem with that is next yr will probably be used to find out about Hackenberg .  This is what happens when you keep trotting out long-in-the-tooth  journeyman QBs  hoping to do enough to buy you some time .  We have 3 young QBs on our roster, and we probably won't get a good idea of what 2 of them can really do with time and consistency in the same scheme . What a darn shame .

I remember someone who bit the bullet and threw a young untested QB to the game because the well respected Vet couldn't run the scheme the way his coordinator wanted . Even after said well respected Vet led the team to a decent record the prior year .

That is all .

7 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

This. If a top tier QB was on this roster, we'd be talking about the Jets Super Bowl chances.

Archived