jets are waiting to trade geno, in my humble opinion

jets rooter

8 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

gms are usually judged by finding qbs.  tanny tried, he drafted a few, rolled the dice on sanchez and farve was good until he got hurt.  mccags is doing exactly what he should be, trying to win now while grooming multiple qbs with the hope at least one pans out.  he also acquired fitz with the understanding if geno stunk last TC he had another option.  it's just frustrating to suffer season after season wondering if it will ever be 'our turn' to find a decent young qb, if not a very good one.  while fitz is clearly better than sanchez and geno he's also clearly inferior to so many others and it just makes you realize how awful it is to watch your team when you have arguably the worst starter in the nfl.

Totally with you until the exaggerated last 10 words or so.

He is an average starting QB ... Unable to carry his team to victory ... But not the worst in the NFL

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

No, I happen to like what the Jets are doing with the exception of resigning Fitzpatrick even thou I understand why he was resigned . This was the year to find out once and for all if Geno could be the QB around here or even be a decent backup option .  The next thing would be to work Petty into the rotation towards the end of this season if things went south early . The way things were done, the Jets probably will never know for sure about Geno, and probably will need next season to start learning about Petty . The problem with that is next yr will probably be used to find out about Hackenberg .  This is what happens when you keep trotting out long-in-the-tooth  journeyman QBs  hoping to do enough to buy you some time .  We have 3 young QBs on our roster, and we probably won't get a good idea of what 2 of them can really do with time and consistency in the same scheme . What a darn shame .

I remember someone who bit the bullet and threw a young untested QB to the game because the well respected Vet couldn't run the scheme the way his coordinator wanted . Even after said well respected Vet led the team to a decent record the prior year .

That is all .

The answer that Geno is NOT a starting NFL QB is already known

Petty (&Hack) are being babied slowly into the QB pool in 2017 instead of tossed into the deep end in 2016

that may or may not be the best thing for Petty ... But it is what our FO believes to be the best way to handle QB on the NYJ

3 minutes ago, ljr said:

Petty (&Hack) are being babied slowly into the QB pool in 2017 instead of tossed into the deep end in 2016

that may or may not be the best thing for Petty ... But it is what our FO believes to be the best way to handle QB on the NYJ

So basically we have 4 QB's who all currently suck. 

if geno becomes the qb they are not making the playoffs.  they're not holding onto geno b/c he can admirably fill in for fitz.  they're holding onto him IMO b/c they think he may have trade value at some point, and they get nothing after the season.  they had no problem cutting milliner and amaro.  amaro was inactive for the titans and milliner cleared waivers.  those players have basically no value.  geno might, if there are more qb injuries.

No they're holding him in case Fitz gets hurt late in the season and we're in playoff contention. Hate Geno all you want he is far more prepared than Bryce to take the reigns if we actually need to win games. For the record I think all our QB's are currently sh*t, but some slightly less than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

No, I happen to like what the Jets are doing with the exception of resigning Fitzpatrick even thou I understand why he was resigned . This was the year to find out once and for all if Geno could be the QB around here or even be a decent backup option .  The next thing would be to work Petty into the rotation towards the end of this season if things went south early . The way things were done, the Jets probably will never know for sure about Geno, and probably will need next season to start learning about Petty . The problem with that is next yr will probably be used to find out about Hackenberg .  This is what happens when you keep trotting out long-in-the-tooth  journeyman QBs  hoping to do enough to buy you some time .  We have 3 young QBs on our roster, and we probably won't get a good idea of what 2 of them can really do with time and consistency in the same scheme . What a darn shame .

I remember someone who bit the bullet and threw a young untested QB to the game because the well respected Vet couldn't run the scheme the way his coordinator wanted . Even after said well respected Vet led the team to a decent record the prior year .

That is all .

I remember that as well and the coach caught big flack for it then but now folks say it was an easy decision when it clearly wasn't.  Indeed that HC used to stand next to that Vet during the national anthem..... :) 

3 hours ago, Kevin L said:

This. If a top tier QB was on this roster, we'd be talking about the Jets Super Bowl chances.

....and you could say that about any of the 25 NFL teams that lack a franchise quarterback right now.

Look no further than the 2008 New York Jets who were a 8-3 club with a healthy Brett Favre and a 1-4 mess without.  If Favre never joins the Jets and we have Kellen Clemens the whole year, we finish 4-12.

Point being, it doesn't take much rebuilding of a defense and special teams to win it all if you have a fantastic quarterback.  Roethlisberger is the perfect example.  His D's are never world-beaters but he can put up 30 points in an eyeblink and respecting the pass opens up the run.  Pittsburgh may win the Super Bowl this year with a team that's weaker than the Jets except in one very crucial area.  Saying "if we had a top-tier QB on the roster" is what we've been wishing for for over 45 years, they don't grow on trees.

SAR I

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

So basically we have 4 QB's who all currently suck. 

No, we have 4 QB's that represent the rainbow of 5 QB flavors in the NFL for the 25 teams that don't have a bonafide franchise quarterback.

Fitzpatrick is a second-tier guy
Petty is a third-tier guy
Hackenberg is a raw project
Smith is a JAG

And before you tell us we need a first-tier guy, yeah, tell us something we haven't known since 1972.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

....and you could say that about any of the 25 NFL teams that lack a franchise quarterback right now.

Look no further than the 2008 New York Jets who were a 8-3 club with a healthy Brett Favre and a 1-4 mess without.  If Favre never joins the Jets and we have Kellen Clemens the whole year, we finish 4-12.

Point being, it doesn't take much rebuilding of a defense and special teams to win it all if you have a fantastic quarterback.  Roethlisberger is the perfect example.  His D's are never world-beaters but he can put up 30 points in an eyeblink and respecting the pass opens up the run.  Pittsburgh may win the Super Bowl this year with a team that's weaker than the Jets except in one very crucial area.  Saying "if we had a top-tier QB on the roster" is what we've been wishing for for over 45 years, they don't grow on trees.

SAR I

Having a good QB certainly increases your chances of success, but it doesn't necessarily make you an automatic Super Bowl contender.

Putting Roethlisberger on the current  Browns roster doesn't make them a top team all of a sudden. They'd still probably lose 10 games. On the other hand, putting Roethlisberger on the Jets roster probably yields 12-14 wins.

10 hours ago, ljr said:

As I said previously, I am on board with what the Jets are doing in their efforts to attain a true Franchise QB . I didn't want Goff or Paxton Lynch, and the QB we took is the one I wanted despite what I have seen and what is being said and has been said . The issue I have is the constant use of Veteran QBs trying to hold the fort for a young QB we never take the time to develop . Young QBs need to sit and learn, then be allowed to make their mistakes while growing and it must be done in the same scheme for it to actually take root .

Geno hasn't had that opportunity, and it's my belief that neither will Petty unless he gets to start some games this season . Next year will be about Hackenberg, and yet another year of starting a stop gap in hope of winning a few games .

The object is to develop a QB, and the only way to do that is to take our lumps and allow that person to develop . One of the best QBs in the NFL had more Ints than was acceptable last yr and there was talk of replacing him . It happens, but not around here not if Jet fans have anything to do with it .

That is all .

9 hours ago, Kevin L said:

Having a good QB certainly increases your chances of success, but it doesn't necessarily make you an automatic Super Bowl contender.

Putting Roethlisberger on the current  Browns roster doesn't make them a top team all of a sudden. They'd still probably lose 10 games. On the other hand, putting Roethlisberger on the Jets roster probably yields 12-14 wins.

Of course, definitely, but let's agree that an 'above average' defense (like Top 15) can be carried by a world-beating franchise quarterback to the Super Bowl and have a great chance of winning it.

Rodgers, Brady, Roethlisberger, Brees, Newton, there are some special QB's that can put up a ton of points and can win games with a D that gives up 25+ points.  Different story in the playoffs, you need some luck and a better D than that.

I'd put the Dolphins chances of a playoff berth with Ben Roethlisberger ahead of our chances at a playoff berth with Ryan Fitzpatrick, for example.

SAR I

28 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Of course, definitely, but let's agree that an 'above average' defense (like Top 15) can be carried by a world-beating franchise quarterback to the Super Bowl and have a great chance of winning it.

Rodgers, Brady, Roethlisberger, Brees, Newton, there are some special QB's that can put up a ton of points and can win games with a D that gives up 25+ points.  Different story in the playoffs, you need some luck and a better D than that.

I'd put the Dolphins chances of a playoff berth with Ben Roethlisberger ahead of our chances at a playoff berth with Ryan Fitzpatrick, for example.

SAR I

Definitely agree.

10 hours ago, Kevin L said:

Isn't working for Brees and the Saints, Rivers and the Chargers....putting a great QB on a lousy team isn't going to do much.  Put a great QB on a team close to the Jets and Fitz and they lap us.  Not shocking or newsworthy

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Isn't working for Brees and the Saints, Rivers and the Chargers....putting a great QB on a lousy team isn't going to do much.  Put a great QB on a team close to the Jets and Fitz and they lap us.  Not shocking or newsworthy

Yup that was my point. A lot of talk about how flawed our team is, but every team has flaws. We are closer to being a contender without a franchise QB than some teams with a franchise QB.

20 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Yup that was my point. A lot of talk about how flawed our team is, but every team has flaws. We are closer to being a contender without a franchise QB than some teams with a franchise QB.

To close this loop I think we have a GM that gets this and is doing what any GM without a franchise QB can:  Get the roster set so that on the day you find your franchise QB [Lord, hear our prayer] you are prepared in all the other areas. 

Now, I say that and I'll contradict myself:  If you look at all the great quarterbacks in NFL history, close to 95% of them were first round draft picks taken very high in the round.  Meaning you have to suck in order to get your guy, so perhaps Maccagnan has this all wrong.  If I owned the team and I knew that in April the next Peyton Manning was eligible, I would go 0-16 in a heartbeat, I wouldn't beat the Raiders in Week 17 to slip 5 spots like an idiot.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

To close this loop I think we have a GM that gets this and is doing what any GM without a franchise QB can:  Get the roster set so that on the day you find your franchise QB [Lord, hear our prayer] you are prepared in all the other areas. 

Now, I say that and I'll contradict myself:  If you look at all the great quarterbacks in NFL history, close to 95% of them were first round draft picks taken very high in the round.  Meaning you have to suck in order to get your guy, so perhaps Maccagnan has this all wrong.  If I owned the team and I knew that in April the next Peyton Manning was eligible, I would go 0-16 in a heartbeat, I wouldn't beat the Raiders in Week 17 to slip 5 spots like an idiot.

SAR I

yet there are enough non-1st round starters to make you want to take your shots:  brady, brees, wilson, carr, dalton, cousins, osweiler and bridgewater before injury - besides fitz.  

26 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Thats hard to believe. Every QB considered a franchise QB has playoff history. We havent been to the playoffs in 6 years and our current QB has never been to the playoffs. 

18 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Thats hard to believe. Every QB considered a franchise QB has playoff history. We havent been to the playoffs in 6 years and our current QB has never been to the playoffs. 

Maybe I'm just a homer, but I think we have a better all around roster than teams like the Saints or Chargers, 2 teams with franchise type QBs. I think we have a better shot at the playoffs than those teams do.

35 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Maybe I'm just a homer, but I think we have a better all around roster than teams like the Saints or Chargers, 2 teams with franchise type QBs. I think we have a better shot at the playoffs than those teams do.

We do, you're not wrong about that. My position is that if a guy like Drew Brees comes across a defense that can be just 25th in the league in total defense they're likely going to the playoffs. Our team overall is talented, but we can have a top 5 defense with a #1/#2 defensive line and can still miss the playoffs even with the talent on the offensive side of the ball (last year)

Shows how crucial that Franchise QB can be. I've even seen Rivers doing it a few years ago. In Sanchez rookie year when we beat the Chargers when they missed like 50 FG's in that game, the chargers started the season 2-3, then pulled off an 11 game winning streak. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

And you could wind up with a loser like J Russel, Art Shlister, Rick Mirer, Sanchez, etc, etc.  

There are no guarantees

19 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

We do, you're not wrong about that. My position is that if a guy like Drew Brees comes across a defense that can be just 25th in the league in total defense they're likely going to the playoffs. Our team overall is talented, but we can have a top 5 defense with a #1/#2 defensive line and can still miss the playoffs even with the talent on the offensive side of the ball (last year)

Shows how crucial that Franchise QB can be. I've even seen Rivers doing it a few years ago. In Sanchez rookie year when we beat the Chargers when they missed like 50 FG's in that game, the chargers started the season 2-3, then pulled off an 11 game winning streak. 

Absolutely agree here. A good QB can overcome many of the flaws that every roster has.

I just think we are closer to being a really good team than some people think. Certainly closer to being a playoff team than a team that will be picking in the top 5 in next years draft.

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And you could wind up with a loser like J Russel, Art Shlister, Rick Mirer, Sanchez, etc, etc.  

There are no guarantees

Listen, if you're gonna pull a name like Art Schlichter out of your ass, the least you can do is spell it right. 

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

yet there are enough non-1st round starters to make you want to take your shots:  brady, brees, wilson, carr, dalton, cousins, osweiler and bridgewater before injury - besides fitz.  

I don't know that I'd classify all these guys as "great" but most are good enough.

Plus with Brees being the #1 pick in round 2 - as well as others in the very early parts of round 2 - it's like a round 1 pick of sorts. A lot of what kept them out of round 1 is that the teams picking at the bottom of round 1 don't usually need a new QB badly enough to burn their 1st rounder to draft one. It's pretty uncommon to see a top team like Denver interested in a round 1 QB barely 2 months after a SB win, or GB when they took Rodgers, or the few other such occurrences.  

Who drafts a QB in the bottom half of round 1 (other than trading down from an earlier pick or trading up from rd 2)? A team with a meh veteran QB but with a generally solid team around him. If only we were such a team then maybe we'd have been thinking QB instead of ILB when our 1st round pick came up lol.

On 9/13/2016 at 11:58 AM, jets rooter said:

with all the injuries to starting q.b.s. and more in the future.the jets are hoping that teams desperate for a good deal for geno.I hope that they will deal geno for draft picks next year..

Major Troll? You have no idea of Geno's situation, yet you gave your "humble opinion". At least name the thread to "...in my uneducated opinion". 

On 9/13/2016 at 9:58 AM, jets rooter said:

with all the injuries to starting q.b.s. and more in the future.the jets are hoping that teams desperate for a good deal for geno.I hope that they will deal geno for draft picks next year..

can you guys jump off a cliff or what? Holy fck... it's the middle of september. MOVE ON for the love of god. 

3 hours ago, Kevin L said:

Absolutely agree here. A good QB can overcome many of the flaws that every roster has.

I just think we are closer to being a really good team than some people think. Certainly closer to being a playoff team than a team that will be picking in the top 5 in next years draft.

I think many people believe that the team is good, or atleast talented. I think "talented" is the proper word to use here. Good is when you're out consistently winning games. We're not really doing that yet. However, the Jets are a talented football team. 

Archived