Darelle Revis will be cut next year

Doggin94it

As it stands, Revis is set to count $15.33M against the Jets 2017 cap.  If they cut him and designate him a post-June 1 cut, they will save 9M against the cap, and will be left with only 1.67 in dead money for Revis in 2018.  At his current level of play, cutting him is a no-brainer.

And no, there's no way Revis agrees to a paycut.  6M of his 2017 salary is guaranteed, and he will command enough from a new team to make him unwilling to offer the Jets meaningful relief just to stay on the team.

If you're a Revis fan, enjoy seeing him in green this year; it's the last time you ever will

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This, for once, is not an overreaction statement. Revis clearly doesn't have it anymore. Five years ago QBs wouldn't have even tried that pass against him, and now he's getting torched. He's also playing scared - 10 yards off of an injured Sammy Watkins. Asomugha should have taught us all a lesson. I wouldn't be surprised if Revis is playing for the vet's with another team at the end of the season, especially if the Jets are having a bad season. 

31 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

This, for once, is not an overreaction statement. Revis clearly doesn't have it anymore. Five years ago QBs wouldn't have even tried that pass against him, and now he's getting torched. He's also playing scared - 10 yards off of an injured Sammy Watkins. Asomugha should have taught us all a lesson. I wouldn't be surprised if Revis is playing for the vet's with another team at the end of the season, especially if the Jets are having a bad season. 

Revis isn't a bad NFL CB.  He's just no longer a great one.  And you can't pay that type of cash and cap for "mildly above average."

6 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Revis isn't a bad NFL CB.  He's just no longer a great one.  And you can't pay that type of cash and cap for "mildly above average."

Honestly, I think he's well below average over the last two games. Blame it on busted coverage, but he's no longer an effective bump n run corner. With the $$ he's getting paid, he might not even be on the team by the end of the year. 

2 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Honestly, I think he's well below average over the last two games. Blame it on busted coverage, but he's no longer an effective bump n run corner. With the $$ he's getting paid, he might not even be on the team by the end of the year. 

It's guaranteed. He's on the team. 

4 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Of course he will.  We don't have the cap space to take the acceleration this year, and cutting him as a pre-6/1 cut next year costs us an additional 1.67M in cap space that will be at a premium next year as well.  He's not getting cut this year under any circumstances.

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We won tonight guys and we decide to tear up the best CB to ever wear a Jets uniform. COME ON MAN

He wanted the fat-cat contract and has not been living up to it.  Reality check -- he looks like Elvis Patterson covering young, fast WR's.  Based on the combination of his contract and performance, he is Toast redux.

You guys are absolutely crazy! I do not doubt this man. I promise you all that by week 5-7, he will be back to playing at a very good level. I truly feel he is out of shape and slightly overweight. 

Do not doubt this man. I will make sure to bump this thread in a month. He will be back!! 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

People talking as if he's a lock first ballot Hall of Famer are nuts.

if OP is right that'd be the second time he's be cut. He's what 31 years old and now completely washed up? His interception numbers aren't there either.

Don't think he'll be in the HOF at all.  Not sure a couple seasons as the best followed by a rapid decline to mediocrity deserves a spot.  Have to judge his full body of work and it's not like he's 35.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Don't think he'll be in the HOF at all.  Not sure a couple seasons as the best followed by a rapid decline to mediocrity deserves a spot.  Have to judge his full body of work and it's not like he's 35.

He got the nickname early which helped his career big time along with the insane 2009 season(which he still didn't win DPOY).

He'll probably get in on those things alone, but first ballot is laughable, especially if this is the end already. He also never returned punts which most of the other greats did.

Champ Bailey had a better career han Revis.

The days of all-time great stardom are clearly over.

But I am not throwing in the towel on him yet.  I think it is more likely that he rebounds to play quality corner than it is he becomes a season long  liability.

The problem for Revis is he's being paid all time great value. Even "quality corner" won't be enough to allow him to keep his job, not on that contract

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

The problem for Revis is he's being paid all time great value. Even "quality corner" won't be enough to allow him to keep his job, not on that contract

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

But say he's an above average #1 corner.  Like 10th best in the league.  For the $10M in cap savings - can we sign someone equivalent?  That's not at all clear.

I think he has next season too (before getting cut).  Though it depends on where he goes from here.  He needs to start playing better even to be an above average #1 corner - but I think that's possible.

2 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Revis has always had issues with speedy WRs. Yeah he gave up that big play but he was up against a young speedster who did jacksh*t after that. And are we really going to get on Revis for allowing 130 yards to the leagues best WR when his coach told him to play off the LOS?

Relax. It IS an overreaction. He will come around. 

Archived