Darelle Revis will be cut next year

Doggin94it

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

We won tonight guys and we decide to tear up the best CB to ever wear a Jets uniform. COME ON MAN

It's seriously our most glaring issue right now. We can't give up bomb touchdowns every game. Revis Island will be more crowded than Oahu soon.

Great win, because our O stepped up. D is a real problem, both short and long pass.

Just now, Dcronin said:

It's seriously our most glaring issue right now. We can't give up bomb touchdowns every game. Revis Island will be more crowded than Oahu soon.

Great win, because our O stepped up. D is a real problem, both short and long pass.

Close.  Our most glaring issue seems to be Gilchrist blowing his assignment and leaving Revis alone when it's zone coverage. 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Close.  Our most glaring issue seems to be Gilchrist blowing his assignment and leaving Revis alone when it's zone coverage. 

Wasn't there some stat that the year before we got him, he had the highest completion percentage in San Diego's secondary? Have never been sold on that guy. 

1 minute ago, Dcronin said:

Wasn't there some stat that the year before we got him, he had the highest completion percentage in San Diego's secondary? Have never been sold on that guy. 

I think you're right..  But he was pretty good last year, this year he's been horrible.  

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

How do you know what coverage is? On the bomb last night, it seemed like Revis was 1 on 1 the whole time but just couldn't keep up. The safety usually has a decision to make and I'm not going to bust on Gilchrist for thinking he can leave Revis to fend for himself. The coaching on that may change now, but there is zero reason they should have to roll help to the side of the CB making 17 million this year. None. 

Revis is making appearances to collect his money. Period. No love for the game. 

He will not risk any type of injury and he will milk his check for all it's worth. 

And then his ass deserves to be rightfully cut after this year. Greedy traitor. Tainted ring. But he's got his money. 

MONEY MONEY MONEY 

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

You guys are absolutely crazy! I do not doubt this man. I promise you all that by week 5-7, he will be back to playing at a very good level. I truly feel he is out of shape and slightly overweight. 

Do not doubt this man. I will make sure to bump this thread in a month. He will be back!! 

I agree w this...let the season play out

6 hours ago, gEYno said:

Don't think he'll be in the HOF at all.  Not sure a couple seasons as the best followed by a rapid decline to mediocrity deserves a spot.  Have to judge his full body of work and it's not like he's 35.

NFL hall of fame is a joke. It's the hall of really good players. Not legends. Only hall of fame that has a minimum amount of players that get in every year. 

Hall of fame is supposed to all time greats. Legends even. Not really good players 

revis gets in even though I don't agree with it 

I thought after he gave up that big touchdown the adjustments were fairly good. I saw Revis a few time during the game providing tight Revis like coverage. I don't think he looks like the Revis of old but I think he is still functional atleast. Part of the problem we had last night is we gave Tyrod way too much time to throw the ball.

And if these are the only 2 horrible games he has all year and he plays like what we expect for the rest of the year?  Look, I'm not going to make excuses for him.  He's not earning his keep.  That said, I don't think this is going to continue.  I also don't think this is going to be his last year here.  Barring a complete meltdown that pretty much haves him throwing his hands up and retiring, I'd bet decent money he takes a paycut.  

8 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Someone who played on that doesn't get cut they retire. 

If he retired next season that would be the best case cause we wouldn't have to pay any of that guaranteed money and it would force Macc to go out and find a few more corners in free agency this off season (which i think he is going to have to do anyway.)

18 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

And if these are the only 2 horrible games he has all year and he plays like what we expect for the rest of the year?  Look, I'm not going to make excuses for him.  He's not earning his keep.  That said, I don't think this is going to continue.  I also don't think this is going to be his last year here.  Barring a complete meltdown that pretty much haves him throwing his hands up and retiring, I'd bet decent money he takes a paycut.  

What about the history of Revis and his money gives you the slightest idea that he would take a pay cut?

21 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Unicorns are real.

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What about the history of Revis and his money gives you the slightest idea that he would take a pay cut?

I don't like the way Revis has gone about things, but he was always right about what he could get. Players don't take pay cuts because they feel bad. They take them because their money is not guaranteed and they don't want to get cut and have no one sign them. 

Revis' contract was designed to be renegotiated next near either up or down. Down is looking like the favorite at this point. Lower the hit and spread out some guarantees over 3 years. 

One more year at corner and then 2 more at safety. Would be nice having Revis and Pryor in the middle.

Hopefully Mac is better at drafting corners than Idsick. 

I have never seen a fanbase attack an all-time players like this, as we seem to do with Revis. No doubt that he has lost a step but he is obviously a good corner. I think fans see his salary and have knee jerk reactions about cutting him if he is not performing like a $14 million dollar player. It is also strange that many view this as an all/nothing things - Revis is still a great CB or he sucks and should be cut. Isn't it possible that he is no longer elite but still a heck of a player. Darby and Gilmore are very well-thought of as great cover men, and they got TORCHED all night. CB is the hardest position to play in the NFL (besides QB) so I am not giving up on Revis. I also this his alleged decline is a bit overblown. If Revis gets hurt this year, we are completely screwed in my opinion as he still covers the heck out of most receivers.

18 minutes ago, SBBound said:

I have never seen a fanbase attack an all-time players like this, as we seem to do with Revis. No doubt that he has lost a step but he is obviously a good corner. I think fans see his salary and have knee jerk reactions about cutting him if he is not performing like a $14 million dollar player. It is also strange that many view this as an all/nothing things - Revis is still a great CB or he sucks and should be cut. Isn't it possible that he is no longer elite but still a heck of a player. Darby and Gilmore are very well-thought of as great cover men, and they got TORCHED all night. CB is the hardest position to play in the NFL (besides QB) so I am not giving up on Revis. I also this his alleged decline is a bit overblown. If Revis gets hurt this year, we are completely screwed in my opinion as he still covers the heck out of most receivers.

not only all time, the BEST all time player in Jets history.  this is what fans do, if social media was around when namath played he would have been skewered too.  Revis will be fine.

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

How do you know what coverage is? On the bomb last night, it seemed like Revis was 1 on 1 the whole time but just couldn't keep up. The safety usually has a decision to make and I'm not going to bust on Gilchrist for thinking he can leave Revis to fend for himself. The coaching on that may change now, but there is zero reason they should have to roll help to the side of the CB making 17 million this year. None. 

Because Bowles said they were in zone.  Because he said they have to clean that up.  He obviously blew the coverage vs Cincy too.  And there is plenty of reasons why you add help when playing some of these WRs with the rules as they are.  Every team mixes in zone with man.  Jets have always done it with certain teams and Revis.  Sherman is thrown out there as a great corner, they play mostly zone in Seattle.  Don't hear the same nonsense there.  

28 minutes ago, SBBound said:

I agree with this. I think the problem is that Revis has been so great for so long that now that he's merely "good", he looks like trash.

33 minutes ago, SBBound said:

Revis isnt an all time player. He has an all time season.

8 hours ago, Matt39 said:

He got the nickname early which helped his career big time along with the insane 2009 season(which he still didn't win DPOY).

He'll probably get in on those things alone, but first ballot is laughable, especially if this is the end already. He also never returned punts which most of the other greats did.

Champ Bailey had a better career han Revis.

I think the nickname could definitely play a role.  But, I agree, Bailey had a better career if this arc continues.  It really comes down to how long a player needs to be great for in the voters opinions.  Is 3-4 seasons enough?

33 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Last year is creeping into this year. It's becoming more of a pattern than a couple game thing. 

He was one of the top corners last year.  Problem is we compare him to 2009'Revis, an all time great year to the 2016 version.  The game is different and Revis is too.  

But he's still good

8 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

8 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

He wanted the fat-cat contract and has not been living up to it.  Reality check -- he looks like Elvis Patterson covering young, fast WR's.  Based on the combination of his contract and performance, he is Toast redux.

Half this board has no idea who that is.....:D

isnt he related to Elvis Presley?

Archived