Darelle Revis will be cut next year

Doggin94it

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Why would the Pats want to pay $17MM for an old, slow, fat CB who has no motivation whatsoever?

You don't sign a player like that for a PR (like Woody did) move.

As we've talked about millions of times that contract was inane and probably on Woody. And no negotiation period, he signed him on the first day he was eligible. It was stupid. But the guy is not a bum and still a very good player. And also an all time great Jets player. Most of us want him on this team. I do but not for stupid money. Look, BB does not pay out 12 mil to just anyone. He wanted Revis that year despite the fact his game was not at that same level it was before his injury.  He's let plenty of good players like Ty Law walk rather than pay them even market. But he's not stupid enough to give him 20 mil either only we were. 

10 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Why would the Pats want to pay $17MM for an old, slow, fat CB who has no motivation whatsoever?

Pats were ready to bring him back, but Revis being Revis got the Jets to offer a hair more. Reports here (in NE) were that Pats were offering similar annual salary, with less guaranteed. But, if he's rostered the first 2 years, which he would have been in NE too, he'd have been making his full salary. 

So... you're talking out of your poop hole.

12 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Are you trying to tell us that the Pats didn't try to resign Revis?  

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Are you trying to tell us that the Pats didn't try to resign Revis?  

It's true. They gave him a 2 year deal with an out. And the second year was 20 mil. They never planned on paying him that 20. It was a one year rental for BB and he won a SB. I also think that BB loved Revis as a player and just wanted to spend a year with him. Just not at the level DR used to be before his injury. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

It's true. They gave him a 2 year deal with an out. And the second year was 20 mil. They never planned on paying him that 20. It was a one year rental for BB and he won a SB. I also think that BB loved Revis as a player and just wanted to spend a year with him. Just not at the level DR used to be before his injury. 

The last time the Patriots won a Super Bowl Revis was on the roster. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

They tried to sign him, are you kidding 

17 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

1.   http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/02/patriots_begin_contract_plans_to_keep_darrelle_rev.html

2. After five days of silence on the loss of his team’s best defensive player, New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft finally opened up at the St. Patrick’s Day Breakfast in South Boston. Sort of. 

As of Tuesday night, Patriots’ No. 1 cornerback Darrelle Revis is again a New York Jet. Kraft and head coach Bill Belichick have been conspicuously quiet about his departure, and despite “addressing’’ the subject Sunday morning, Kraft provided little clarity.

Here’s Kraft’s statement, per  CSN New England’s Phil Perry

“We’ve been taking a lot of flak about losing one of our best players Darrelle Revis, and what happened. The story isn’t known, and I’m gonna tell the story here, and you’re gonna know how sensitive I am to what the people in this room care about. The money was about the same, he was actually favoring us, coming to us a little cheaper, but he had one demand, and that demand was . . . he wanted to change the name down the street here of Castle Island to Revis Island. I told him that was non-negotiable and a deal-breaker.’’

Gonna be interesting when Macc goes to Revise about lowering his salary. Revis won't have a leg to stand on! He can't threaten a holdout anymore. Of course I don't know the contract details but I'm sure we'd be on the hook for a boatload of money. His hardline negotiating days are over, but you have to admire how he milked everyone when he was at the top of his game.

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Gonna be interesting when Macc goes to Revise about lowering his salary. Revis won't have a leg to stand on! He can't threaten a holdout anymore. Of course I don't know the contract details but I'm sure we'd be on the hook for a boatload of money. His hardline negotiating days are over, but you have to admire how he milked everyone when he was at the top of his game.

yes, the salary cap situation will be more friendly next year.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Last year is creeping into this year. It's becoming more of a pattern than a couple game thing. 

Agreed, but the jets need to help the guy out. It's a pattern, so the coaching staff needs to adjust.

34 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i don't fault revis being burned by the fastest guy on the field.  i fault the jets for not giving help to anyone covering goodwin.  

even revis in his prime gets burned by him.  the guy is just too fast.

Revis said after the game he wasn't aware that he was an Olympic sprinter.  They were also knocking on the jets scouting dept. this morning on the radio for not having scouted this guy and his big play threat and Olympic speed.  By overlooking this guy they basically set Revis up for failure. 

After that play and for the rest of the game, Revis backed off and respected his speed.  Revis was not going to get beat a 2nd time....and he didnt. If Revis was a sh*tty CB then he would of been abused all game by him and he wasn't. 

After that fluke play, Revis did his job for the rest of the game IMO. 

21 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Why is it that every time Revis gets smoked, it's considered a "fluke" play?

Fluke plays do not occur every single week.

Kind of the feeling I get reading your posts.  Like the one telling all that the Pats didn't try to resign Revis. 

Or better yet, how's this one, when the Pats are caught cheating agin and again. 

20 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Why is it that every time Revis gets smoked, it's considered a "fluke" play?

Fluke plays do not occur every single week.

Lets make Fluke the word of the day now!

What do you call the Pats winning a superbowl without cheating?

A fluke!!!

Have a great day, a$$hole!

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Let me know when he forces an incompletion, because receivers are currently batting 1.000 for 300 yards and two touchdowns.

Ugh, keep telling yourself he hasn't, won't and should be replaced if the coach had balls. 

Theres more to this game than just screaming he sucks.

Plus it helps to actually watch the games

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Nope he is correct; you pay him 10 MM and then you funnel an extra 10MM a year to him via a business to avoid cap implications. Then you bug the opposing teams locker room or head sets, steal their signals and mess with the equipment to make him look better.

You do it all and then you use the fact that you drafted a psychopath, re-signed him even though you knew he was harassing and bullying his own players and then you pretend you are all classy when you drop  him after you find out he is a murderer.

Then you get call the coach a genius who controls every aspect of the game but who somehow never knows the rules of the game that he is breaking or what other cheating and violence is going on with your team.

That's how you build a contender...

6 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What about the history of Revis and his money gives you the slightest idea that he would take a pay cut?

6 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Unicorns are real.

5 hours ago, gEYno said:

Always great to welcome new Jets fans here to Jet Nation.

Lol alright I'll take it in stride.  Didn't give the best explanation for my thought process.

Realistically though, Revis knows that if he's cut and this type of play continues, he's not going to be making big bucks anywhere else.  As much as I loaattthheeee businessman Revis, he's a smart dude.  It will all depend on how he finishes.  If he finishes the year as a corner worth 10-12mil and not 15-17mil, methinks there's a way they can restructure that deal to make it more team friendly without allowing Darrelle to test the open market.  IF he's playing like a guy who's worth no more than 8 mil?  Then it could get tricky and we may have to cut him, play hardball and tell him that as long as the value is right, we'll match another teams offer.  If that's the case though...and Revis has declined that much...then yeah, I don't think he'll be here next year and OP is right.

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

FWIW, Jason Cole's reporting Revis dogged it this offseason and came in out of shape. He also intentionally put off surgery so he could miss mini camp and OTA's...so there's that. Buyer beware.

All I need to hear to know that this is complete bullsh*t. Thanks.

Revis has been described, EVERYWHERE he's been, as the most intense practice player on the face of the planet.  Am I supposed to believe the intense battles him and Marshall had all offseason were nonsense because some fat slop blogger who is a wannabe insider said so.

This thought keeps occuring to me....It's that I'm fascinated a 31 YO CB, even this one being Revis, getting beat one on one by AJ Green was/is as much a story as it turned out to be. AJ Green is the best WR in football (at least IMO) and every bit a HOFer at 28 as Revis was at that age. 

This other TD is a little more embarrassing I guess, but even then there's worse than getting burned once by an Olympic caliber runner once in a game the team won.

My guess is by the end of season we're probably looked at Revis putting up yet another top 10 CB season. He's not as fast as he once was, that happens, but we've seen plenty of elite DBs and CBs put up excellent seasons in their 30s even when they've declined a little bit.

Archived