Darelle Revis will be cut next year

Doggin94it

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/16/2016 at 8:18 AM, SBBound said:

I have never seen a fanbase attack an all-time players like this, as we seem to do with Revis. No doubt that he has lost a step but he is obviously a good corner. I think fans see his salary and have knee jerk reactions about cutting him if he is not performing like a $14 million dollar player. It is also strange that many view this as an all/nothing things - Revis is still a great CB or he sucks and should be cut. Isn't it possible that he is no longer elite but still a heck of a player. Darby and Gilmore are very well-thought of as great cover men, and they got TORCHED all night. CB is the hardest position to play in the NFL (besides QB) so I am not giving up on Revis. I also this his alleged decline is a bit overblown. If Revis gets hurt this year, we are completely screwed in my opinion as he still covers the heck out of most receivers.

This+++

On 9/16/2016 at 7:47 AM, NYs Stepchild said:

I don't like the way Revis has gone about things, but he was always right about what he could get. Players don't take pay cuts because they feel bad. They take them because their money is not guaranteed and they don't want to get cut and have no one sign them. 

Revis' contract was designed to be renegotiated next near either up or down. Down is looking like the favorite at this point. Lower the hit and spread out some guarantees over 3 years. 

One more year at corner and then 2 more at safety. Would be nice having Revis and Pryor in the middle.

Hopefully Mac is better at drafting corners than Idsick. 

and this ++++

hope your right but with 6m guaranteed he might not be in the mood to renegotiate....this is the time he hopefully takes a home team discount.  Come on Revis, stick around and retire as a Jet!!

11 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

and this ++++

hope your right but with 6m guaranteed he might not be in the mood to renegotiate....this is the time he hopefully takes a home team discount.  Come on Revis, stick around and retire as a Jet!!

The thing is that he can be cut the following year for nothing. If he wants a decent 3 year deal we can work that 6 mil into a deal instead of it being dead money. 

On 9/16/2016 at 0:19 AM, gEYno said:

Don't think he'll be in the HOF at all.  Not sure a couple seasons as the best followed by a rapid decline to mediocrity deserves a spot.  Have to judge his full body of work and it's not like he's 35.

So a 7 time Pro Bowler and 4 time All Pro considered by most as one of the best of all time don't make the HOF?? :rolleyes:

He makes the HOF. Plus he has a ring unfortunately with them. I hope he stays and is willing to redo his contract. He looked totally embarrassed on Thursday night after getting beaten on that play by the Olympics guy. Bowles has to make big adjustments with the secondary if we're going to survive this season. There is no excuse for miscommunication. If you just get beat that's another story. It's going to happen even to the best of them.

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

He makes the HOF. Plus he has a ring unfortunately with them. I hope he stays and is willing to redo his contract. He looked totally embarrassed on Thursday night after getting beaten on that play by the Olympics guy. Bowles has to make big adjustments with the secondary if we're going to survive this season. There is no excuse for miscommunication. If you just get beat that's another story. It's going to happen even to the best of them.

Bowles and Rodgers needs to adjust this immediately I'm still putting a lot of the blame on the lack of a pass rush you cannot allow any QB 5 seconds to throw the ball yes we contained Taylor but the pocket never collapsed when he loaded up for these long bombs. 

My big problem is that Bowles appears to be playing him wrong. The same problem last year (of course he was hurt). Assuming his wrist is better, Revis is a jam at LOS CB; he is smart, watches tendencies, and plays physical. He has NEVER been great at covering slippery/un predictable WRs or covering very fast ones. He has also been better playing on the WR instead of giving him yards.

This is like Tampa all over the place. Yes football is a team sport. But you don't pay a CB 17 million a year and don't let him play 'his' game. 

As frustrated as I am with Revis, I am equally frustrated with the way the coaches are playing him. I understand coaching 'scared' and not wanting someone to get past Revis, but either the WR is going to make a ton of 8 yard completions, or eventually they are going to blow bast him anyway.

With the strength of the DL, there should always be a safety you can keep deep. Let Revis play his game or don't complain when it doesn't work out well.

On 9/16/2016 at 7:32 AM, Rangers9 said:

Are you trying to tell us that the Pats didn't try to resign Revis?  

It's true. They gave him a 2 year deal with an out. And the second year was 20 mil. They never planned on paying him that 20. It was a one year rental for BB and he won a SB. I also think that BB loved Revis as a player and just wanted to spend a year with him. Just not at the level DR used to be before his injury. 

I think you're confusing what others are talking about.  Everyone knows he signed a 1 year $12M deal with the Pats.  The point is - after that year, the Pats and Jets were competing for his services, and the Jets signed him.  And it's not like the Pats were offering vet minimum...

I think you're confusing what others are talking about.  Everyone knows he signed a 1 year $12M deal with the Pats.  The point is - after that year, the Pats and Jets were competing for his services, and the Jets signed him.  And it's not like the Pats were offering vet minimum...

Revis signed a 2-year deal with the Pats.

The Pats elected not to exercise the 2nd year option and he became a FA.

I think the Ginn Jr, Goodwin style of guys are his weakness. He occasionally gives up those TDs. I don't think the rest of the top receivers nessecarily fit in that category. He can still play at a high level and compete. 

The problem is he's also looked like garbage against Green and Hopkins, who aren't burners.

Of course, those guys are elite WRs who make a lot of CBs look bad, but Revis' contact is predicated on his ability to erase those guys 1 on 1. Without that, paying him at this rate is a sucker's game.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, ljr said:

Still reviewing the last couple pages of this topic  ... But what am I supposed to get out of this?

looks like the deal was for NE to pay him for 1 season & prevent NE from using Franchise Player tag on him in 2015

I'm not an expert either but I think from NEP's perspective it was to spread the cap hit over two years. The 2nd year salary was so prohibitive that it was never even an after thought. Only Woody would pay him that. The Revis deal with us is so one-sided in his favor that if they cut him after 2016 he gets $40 mil for 2 years. If he stays 3 years he gets 49 mil. The entire 5 he gets 70. 

I'm not an expert either but I think from NEP's perspective it was to spread the cap hit over two years. The 2nd year salary was so prohibitive that it was never even an after thought.

We have a winner.

Revis salary of $12MM was spread out over 2 years.

If the Pats picked up his 2nd year, they would have to pay Revis $20MM (now that is friggn' hilarious).

Revis was basically a one year rental that cost the Pats $6MM against the cap.

Yet another example of the Pats playing chess and the rest of the NFL playing checkers.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 11:43 PM, Doggin94it said:

Revis isn't a bad NFL CB.  He's just no longer a great one.  And you can't pay that type of cash and cap for "mildly above average."

true.. & move him to s   :cool:

cheers ~ ~

:beer:

On 9/15/2016 at 10:18 PM, Doggin94it said:

As it stands, Revis is set to count $15.33M against the Jets 2017 cap.  If they cut him and designate him a post-June 1 cut, they will save 9M against the cap, and will be left with only 1.67 in dead money for Revis in 2018.  At his current level of play, cutting him is a no-brainer.

And no, there's no way Revis agrees to a paycut.  6M of his 2017 salary is guaranteed, and he will command enough from a new team to make him unwilling to offer the Jets meaningful relief just to stay on the team.

If you're a Revis fan, enjoy seeing him in green this year; it's the last time you ever will

He won't be around if we don't restructure his contract, that's for sure.  Aside from that I think he will be unless we sign a solid replacement in free agency.

Two years ago we fortified out DL, this year we upgraded our linebackers, Next year CB will get a boost on the defensive side of the ball. 

Just now, Bocajetfan said:

Revis deserves some bashing over his play so far but has earned the respect to delay the hammers of hell coming down on him till the end of the season 

He is getting bashed because of the high level of expectations and the high bar that he has set because of his talent level.  Revis is still a very talented CB, he didn't give up anything after that bomb on Monday night.

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

He is getting bashed because of the high level of expectations and the high bar that he has set because of his talent level.  Revis is still a very talented CB, he didn't give up anything after that bomb on Monday night.

Agreed but any DB who gets beat for two TDs in two games will get negative reviews 

Archived