Quincy you proved me wrong brother

Paradis

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

ehh, Eric Decker was #3 and look how much we paid that guy. 

i never got to finish my statement.  My dumb "smart" phone sent it before I was ready.  I was thinking the difference between signing him early as against him hitting fa. I would not think he would get $20 million more in fa if we offered him a reasonable contract. looking at Mo's contract and fritz contract I would think that we would offer him a reasonable contract.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/16/2016 at 6:51 PM, Mogglez said:

Ironically enough, T.O. and Anquan Boldin were two guys that he was described as being similar to in one of the pre-draft reports I read on him before that draft.  He was one of my big sleepers along with Martavis Bryant that year...would have preferred my personal pick of Allen Robinson in the second but John Idzik had other ideas, scarecrow lookin' f*ck that he was.  

Thrilled to see Enunwa might actually live up to the high hopes I had for him.

Looking back at that draft is nauseating. I liked Robinson and Bryant a lot as well. Idzik did draft three receivers...just cut two. Imagine if he'd drafted Robinson in the second instead of Amaro and Bryant over Shaq Evans. Can even just throw away the Jalen Saunders pick.

On September 17, 2016 at 8:03 PM, Paradis said:

He and any other player in his position will gladly gamble. Maybe you're forgetting that we're talking about the difference of about 20 million guaranteed. That's more money than you and I will make in 5 lifetimes.

Yea. He'll take his chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why you offer him something in between what he'd make in 2 years if he continues this, and what you could've offered him, say, during this past off season. I'd imagine it's still too early for the Jet to want to commit to him, but if they do, they would only do it if they can still get some sort of discount. Otherwise they just take what he can give over the next two seasons and then either pay up, or move on. And as for his point of view, sure his stock is going up with every good game he plays, but if he (and his agent) are smart, they'd still be willing to exchange some cash for some security. I don't think a good agent is going to let his client forget the Leon Washington story.

How Quincy Enunwa gives the Jets a three-dimensional passing offense

r127438_1296x518_5-2.jpg&w=1006&h=402&sc

• cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
    Dick Semen-iESPN Staff Writer
  •  

The Quincy Enunwa effect was apparent on Ryan Fitzpatrick's first completion on Thursday night.

On a third-and-10, the Buffalo Bills were preoccupied with Eric Deckerand Brandon Marshall, one of the top receiving tandems in the NFL. Marshall, split to the right, was covered by No. 1 corner Ronald Darby, with a safety providing deep help. Decker, in the left slot, drew the most attention on this particular play -- a straight-up double team.

To Decker's left, Enunwa was left in single coverage, covered by cornerback Stephon Gilmore. Fitzpatrick recognized it immediately and they hooked up for 34 yards, with Enunwa making a terrific, falling-backward catch.

Welcome to the new dynamic in the New York Jets' passing attack.

In Enunwa, the Jets have found a legitimate No. 3 option, a pass-catcher good enough to make a defense pay a price for overplaying Decker and Marshall. After two games, Enunwa leads the team with 13 receptions, the kind of production that might cause opponents to re-think their strategy. He's the key to their passing offense, according to Marshall.

"That's what we didn't have last year," Marshall said. "We didn't have a No. 3 guy, we didn't have a No. 4 guy. Quincy was our unsung hero last year, but it was just in the running game. Now we're getting him involved in the passing game.

"You would think that it would be myself or Matt Forte or Decker that opens up the offense, but it's really 81 [Enunwa]. If he can continue to make these plays and continue to take advantage of one-on-one coverage -- because he's going to get it -- it's going to make all of our jobs easier."

A quick study of the all-22 tape of the Jets' 37-31 win over the Bills illustrates how Enunwa can thrive in the offense. There were plays in which Decker and Marshall drew four defenders in the middle of the field -- a box-like coverage -- with Enunwa singled up on the perimeter. Clearly, Fitzpatrick trusts him; he kept feeding him the ball in key situations.

When the Bills finally started to pay attention to Enunwa, Fitzpatrick started throwing to Decker and Marshall. The result was one of the most prolific offensive days in recent memory. Decker (126 yards), Marshall (101) and Enunwa (92) eclipsed the 300 mark for receiving.

"He's just got such strong hands," Fitzpatrick said of Enunwa. "It looks like he's trying to pop the ball every time he catches it."

It has been a long time since the Jets had a playmaker in the so-called No. 3 role. The only season since 2000 in which they had three players with at least 50 catches (we're talking wide receivers and tight ends) was 2010. That year, they had Dustin Keller (55 catches), Braylon Edwards (53) and Santonio Holmes (52). Jerricho Cotchery (41) wasn't far behind.

At their current pace, they will obliterate those numbers. It'll get tougher in the coming weeks, though, because their next two opponents -- Kansas City Chiefs and Seattle Seahawks -- have very good secondaries.

Enunwa, a sixth-round draft pick in 2014 who did nothing as a rookie and made 22 receptions last season, was a well-kept secret in the offseason. Teammates buzzed about his potential, but no one outside the organization knew much about him.

"He has worked on his craft," coach Todd Bowles said. "He worked on his hands and everything in the offseason. He worked on his feet, he worked on his route-running. He's a tireless worker. A lot of things he's doing now are paying off from the offseason."

Archived