BUF Observations

KRL

I don't know about you but I watched this game in a high state of annoyance.  Thinking
about how we haven't beaten this team in THREE YEARS and by laying two eggs in 2015 it
not only cost us the playoffs but maybe the division:

- The multiple turnovers that gave them free points
- The awful special teams play
- The poor QB play
- A DLine that didn't impact the final game of the year
- A smirking, fist pumping Ryan after the losses

But thankfully after a crazy rollercoaster ride we finally pulled out a win.  Let's take
a look:

Special Teams

- Solid bounce back game from Nick Folk after last week's disaster

- Lachlan Edwards had more appearances holding for Folk than punts, which is fine by me.
Credit to him on pinning BUF inside the 20 with only 10 seconds left in the game

- Nothing special on punt or kick returns   

- Kick coverage was solid except one time where Tate almost got out for a TD.  Credit to 
Folk for slowing him down and Juston Burris for making the tackle

Offense

- The first drive of the game was brutal even though they scored a FG.  They must've put the
ball on the ground 3-4 times.  But other than that how can you complain with 500 yards of
offensive production.  Three 100 yard WR's, a 350 yard QB and a 100 yard RB.  Credit to
Gailey for changing up the game plan and attacking vertically down the field

- Bowles made a mistake by not going for two points on our final TD it left us open to a loss

- The offense controlled the ball for 40 minutes, which softened up BUF defense and took
the teeth out of their pressure

- Ryan Fitpatrick deserves all the credit in the world because he played like a $12 million
QB tonight.  I've never seen him so accurate vertically down the field, BUF has excellent
CB's in Gilmore & Darby so those were quality throws

- Excellent bounce backs by Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker playing up to the standards
we expect from them.  Thank goodness Marshall didn't tear his ACL, somebody must've been
praying for him because that looked like a season ending injury

- Quincy Enunwa's improvement has been incredible, the catches he's making now he couldn't
dream of making last year.  Enunwa is basically our TE except he lines up in multiple
positions.  And wasn't it a pleasure that we could take advantage of the middle of a Ryan
defense for once.  After all those years of watching TE's kill us 

- The more I see Matt Forte the more he reminds me of Curtis Martin.  No "sexy" 30 yard runs
but just consistent gains that continue to move the chains

- Who didn't have a deja vu moment when Jalin Marshall fumbled and BUF "scooped & scored"?
It reminded me of the Devin Smith fumble which cost us a TD last year.  But good job by
Marshall in not hanging his head because he made some nice catches after his mistake

- The OLine was under seige from BUF pressure early on but they hung in there and as the game
wore on they beat them up.  With two RT's rotating and Wesley Johnson stepping in for James
Carpenter they did a good job maintaining continuity

Defense

- The big plays are killing us and they've got to stop.  BUF scored 24 points on the defense
and 14 of them were on big plays.  It's painful to watch but Darrelle Revis is in decline,
seeing a #4/#5 WR like Goodwin score a TD was tough

- The DLine didn't have "sexy" stats but they did their job.  Two things led to this:
  * BUF used a ton of max protection when throwing the ball
  * The DLine didn't run a ton of stunts for fear of opening up running lanes for Taylor
They also did a good job keeping McCoy under control by taking away his cut back lanes

- Best CB's tonight were Marcus Williams and Buster Skrine.  Nice INT by Williams but more
importantly he was better in coverage and tackling.  And Skrine had such good coverage that
he was challenged only once and he broke up a TD pass     

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quincy Enunwa's improvement has been incredible, the catches he's making now he couldn't dream of making last year.  Enunwa is basically our TE except he lines up in multiple positions.  And wasn't it a pleasure that we could take advantage of the middle of a Ryan defense for once.  After all those years of watching TE's kill us 

Big fan of how he's being used

Good to hear on Skrine, quietly a quality player since he came into the league and a quality signing with the Jets.

Good write up. Small points from a pencil pusher,

We looked like a real team.  GREAT adjustments second half.

D-Line collapses in and over runs Taylor and a quick QB like Taylor had too many opportunities to run.  Not enough sacks but all in all good job D-Line.

OLINE looking pretty good for a patchwork of guys

Secondary still suspect

Bowles did a better job

Im wearing my JETS shirt to the gym this morning.

PHUCK REX!

I know it's early, but I don't remember a Jets team in my lifetime that had better depth at wide receiver. After sitting through basically 15 years when the organization basically ignored the position through the draft, you have Enunwa looking like an early season candidate for one of the most improved players in the league. Jalin Marshall came up with some big plays after his fumble. That showed a lot of mental toughness on his part. 

Enunwa and Brian Winters have both been good to very good through the first two games. Some players just take longer than others to develop, but it's nice to see those draft investments starting to pay off. 

Daron Lee is also off to a nice start to his career. He has flashed through his first 2 games and, with the injury to Henderson, Lee looks poised to enter the starting lineup. 

Fitz had some life in his arm last night. Because of the good protection he was able to step into his throws and deliver darts on some throws when needed.

Nice game plan by Chan starting out. Buffalo stacked the box and that deep ball to Enunwa opened things up in the middle

Decker was fired up last night and really stepped up

BM had a good game but those untimely drops are a killer! 2-0 if he makes that catch last week in the 4th

Forte is a work horse. Only saw Powell a few times last night.

Kellen Davis continues to S-U-C-K although getting that fumble was huge

Entire secondary did a good job last night against major speed on the outside. Revis miscalculated Goodwin speed and route and Salas was a broken play

Everyone thinks Goodwins a scrub but he's a world class runner and even a clocks right 2x/day. Revis has to do better.

OL has really impressed me.... Breno's going to have a tough time getting the starts over Ijilana.

Winters much improved and Wesley Johnson did a nice job filling in for Carpenter. Hope his injury is minor

WE left some points on the field offensively and the "D" killed my Fantasy matchup last night but was solid.

Richardson needs to shut up and play. Catapano popped on a few plays and Lee definitely showed his speed running down McCoy 

Rex like a little baby when shaking TB hand.... didn't even look at him...LOL

4 hours ago, The Walrus said:

Forte is a great buy. Ok, he's got mileage on him but he's just experienced and calm and consistent plus a dual threat. He's not going to sh*t the bed under pressure.

great game by Forte but they need to get Powell more involved.  Forte can't have 30 carries.

if the defense can stop giving up the big plays, with this offense and its weapons, they can be very good.

and of course great write up as usual KRL

A couple of other things:

- Nice win to jumpstart the season but let's stop all the redemption nonsense.  We failed
when the playoffs were on the line last year

- After BUF scored those 17 straight points good resiliency by the team to fight back and
score 17 straight of our own

- Good to see Ryan still up to his old tricks:
  * Risking a challenge to gain 4 yards
  * A too many men on the field penalty
  * Trying to draw the Jets offside on 4th & 1, using a timeout, then going for it
    and not getting it.  Classic
  * His defense still can't control the middle of the field, Enunwa killed him

- Taylor is a "max protection, broken play QB" other than those two situations he
can't make a play.  If they keep 7-8 men in to block he can throw a nice deep ball.
And if you rush him without maintaining your lane he'll get out and hurt you.  His
stats were total "fantasy fluff"

In Rex we trust... it was good to see the old Rex out there... and his brother ROb, wow.. sorry Buff fans (well not really ;))

That 3rd & 4th and '1' stands were the key to the game, awesome job by Sheldon there.. he was a difference maker fromlast week to this week.

Enunwa was absolutely incredible.. what a weapon, hope he can hold up, he plays very physical.

J Marshall, bad fumble, but everywhere else, he looked great, makes up for the D Smith pick.

I thought D Lee had a good game and made some key tackles down the stretch.

Revis is still a great leader, and his tackling is still pretty solid, but he is now just a guy corner, which is fine, but Bowles needs to react to that now, we need soome cover 2 going on back there.

Fitz started so shaky, but finished the last 3 quarters like a real pro, great freakin game.

Glad Folk looked good, really don't want to start shopping for a kicker.

Marshall is an absolute beast, and Decker against the other teams #2's is money, 6 straight games with a TD, wow.

I like the chances vs. KC, Run D is out bets thing and they do that well.  A Smith doesn't challenge as much vertically, so we got a shot.

Big plays given up is an issue that needs to be corrected. Jets found themselves down in the third quarter despite dominating TOP. Tyrod Taylor thru for nearly 300 yards and 3 TDs. Credit the Jets for not panicking, and bouncing back strong. Defense has to play better. They need to do some tinkering in that secondary. 

I was also impressed with Jalen Marshall after that killer fumble. Brushed it off and played like he belonged out there. I thought Robby Anderson beat him out in the preseason, but he was balling out there. 

Gotta give some credit to the coaching staff, I don't want to get too high after a win but we have young players who seem to finally be getting coached up and are getting better.  Obviously Enunwa looks like a completely different player but even some of these guys on the O-Line coming in and making an impact.  Ijalana looks no worse than Breno and with his age hopefully has a higher ceiling, Wesley Johnson came in and did a nice job after the the Carpenter injury, an undrafted free agent like Jalin Marshall coming in and making some big catches (the fumble could've been a killer though).  The vets like Brandon, Decker, Fitz and Mangold played great and are going to dictate our success this season but you can see there's a future and we're building towards a sustainable winning organization

One of the worst films I've ever seen is Ben Affleck's Daredevil.

If Ben Affleck's Daredevil was the movie I was watching when I found out that Rex Ryan was fired, Ben Affleck's Daredevil would have been the greatest cinematic masterpiece I've ever seen.

Last night, the Jets played a perfect football game. 

2 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

Can not have a lot of complaints about a Thursday night win. Forget about early in the season these games are usually sloppy so all I can say is a win is a win. Get some rest and time to recover win the next one

I have a complaint.  We've gotta wait 10 f*ing days before we can watch our kick a$$ Jets wup KC. :) 

27 minutes ago, KRL said:
27 minutes ago, KRL said:

A couple of other things:

- Nice win to jumpstart the season but let's stop all the redemption nonsense.  We failed
when the playoffs were on the line last year

- After BUF scored those 17 straight points good resiliency by the team to fight back and
score 17 straight of our own

- Good to see Ryan still up to his old tricks:
  * Risking a challenge to gain 4 yards
  * A too many men on the field penalty
  * Trying to draw the Jets offside on 4th & 1, using a timeout, then going for it
    and not getting it.  Classic
  * His defense still can't control the middle of the field, Enunwa killed him

- Taylor is a "max protection, broken play QB" other than those two situations he
can't make a play.  If they keep 7-8 men in to block he can throw a nice deep ball.
And if you rush him without maintaining your lane he'll get out and hurt you.  His
stats were total "fantasy fluff"

Yes that 5 yard penalty made it 3rd and 1 and I was glad. I knew Rex would try to power through old school, behind a FB. If it was 3rd and 6 the odds go way down that we stop them. I believe we stopped them on another 3rd and fourth and short as well if not for a bad spot.

I think the smart defense on Tyrod is to keep 2 safeties deep, clog the middle and dare him to throw outside the numbers from the pocket. I hope we learn that by the next meeting. He may not be the starter by that point. He and Roman have been figured out. Basically he is Kaepernick. 

1 hour ago, ljr said:

Will just add that on the poor kickoff coverage play ... Lee was badly held & it looked like his gap the KR hit

the coverage team is night & day compared to last year

the zebras missed a lot of holds last night. the one you are talking about I remember vividly. #50 had lee in a bear hug. all lee could do was put his hands in the air hoping that the zebras would notice. they did not

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

I know it's early, but I don't remember a Jets team in my lifetime that had better depth at wide receiver. After sitting through basically 15 years when the organization basically ignored the position through the draft, you have Enunwa looking like an early season candidate for one of the most improved players in the league. Jalin Marshall came up with some big plays after his fumble. That showed a lot of mental toughness on his part. 

Enunwa and Brian Winters have both been good to very good through the first two games. Some players just take longer than others to develop, but it's nice to see those draft investments starting to pay off. 

Daron Lee is also off to a nice start to his career. He has flashed through his first 2 games and, with the injury to Henderson, Lee looks poised to enter the starting lineup. 

Just like the Jets team in general, Lee is showing that he has the superior skillset. Better to be talented and improving than steady.

Flashes of greatness is what you want from a young player, and a young team. Young team in terms of this Mac/Bowles/Gailey regime. Future looks bright.

The polar opposite of the way I felt when we were winning safe with Herm. 

Look like many fans I truly hate the prevent defense. But last night they gave up mostly big plays to Buff and I can understand Bowles going conservative on that last series. But I didn't like it because it leads to a fairly quick TD when for the most part they were not moving the ball that well all night. So I'm not going to kill him about it but it basically gave the Bills a chance to win the game. If that onside kick had been successful and I've seen over the years plenty of them work against the Jets it could have ended in an L esp since Bowles went for one not two on that last TD. 

Lots of positive things to point and agree with most here.

The thing that impressed me most however what the mental toughness this team showed. I'm sure the fans feeling more frustration early than the team was, as they continually bounced back after the mistakes.

I know I'm going to get killed for this because Fitz put up gaudy numbers, but I'm still so frustrated with him. Even the big throws he makes are off the mark just enough to make it really difficult for our receivers to get them. Behind them almost every time, never in stride. One of those guys is going to get killed out there and we're missing out on even more big plays. It sounds like nitpicking, but its more than that. I'll obviously take the win, but I'm uneasy about it going forward.

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

One of the worst films I've ever seen is Ben Affleck's Daredevil.

If Ben Affleck's Daredevil was the movie I was watching when I found out that Rex Ryan was fired, Ben Affleck's Daredevil would have been the greatest cinematic masterpiece I've ever seen.

Last night, the Jets played a perfect football game. 

Theres talk that REX will be let go after 4 games as it is very possible they start 0-4

Archived