BUF Observations

KRL

52 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

One of the worst films I've ever seen is Ben Affleck's Daredevil.

If Ben Affleck's Daredevil was the movie I was watching when I found out that Rex Ryan was fired, Ben Affleck's Daredevil would have been the greatest cinematic masterpiece I've ever seen.

Last night, the Jets played a perfect football game. 

Star Wars Episode 1 was worse ... That *$$hole George Lucas stole my childhood from me when I saw that on opening day! :(

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Lots of positive things to point and agree with most here.

The thing that impressed me most however what the mental toughness this team showed. I'm sure the fans feeling more frustration early than the team was, as they continually bounced back after the mistakes.

I know I'm going to get killed for this because Fitz put up gaudy numbers, but I'm still so frustrated with him. Even the big throws he makes are off the mark just enough to make it really difficult for our receivers to get them. Behind them almost every time, never in stride. One of those guys is going to get killed out there and we're missing out on even more big plays. It sounds like nitpicking, but its more than that. I'll obviously take the win, but I'm uneasy about it going forward.

D**sh!

Our defense is monumentally overrated the dline is beastly but can be shut down as we saw last night, the LB's are okay, the secondary is awful and perhaps worst of all our coaching schemes are suspect.  Buffalo scoring 34 is a joke imo.

We can get better but our defense STILL can't get a stop at all late in games or halfs.

8 hours ago, KRL said:

- Best CB's tonight were Marcus Williams and Buster Skrine.  Nice INT by Williams but more
importantly he was better in coverage and tackling.  And Skrine had such good coverage that
he was challenged only once and he broke up a TD pass     

Marcus Williams has been very good thus far. If I'm not mistaken, he led the team in INTs last year. Being able to roll coverage away from his guy at a whim, could prove to be invaluable later this season. Tough assignment for a QB, when he isn't sure which direction the safeties will fall back.

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Our defense is monumentally overrated the dline is beastly but can be shut down as we saw last night, the LB's are okay, the secondary is awful and perhaps worst of all our coaching schemes are suspect.  Buffalo scoring 34 is a joke imo.

We can get better but our defense STILL can't get a stop at all late in games or halfs.

I believe I saw a turnover on downs from a 3rd and 1. In fact that happened twice except for a bad spot. 

30 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I am hoping that with the ten days that we have between games that the team can work on communicating within the secondary. It bit us on the ass on the long Green touchdown in Cincinatti and hurt us at least once in the Buffalo game. 

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

I have a complaint.  We've gotta wait 10 f*ing days before we can watch our kick a$$ Jets wup KC. :) 

Is it wrong to hope for a Alex Smith injury this Sunday? I'd much rather face Nick Foles. The Jets D-line would devour him. While Smith is athletic and savvy enough to put together a good game against them. 

3 minutes ago, J-Diddy said:

TO EVERYONE SAYING REVIS NEEDS HELP AND TO PLAY MORE COVER 2 and/or ZONE....

The Jets were in a Cover 2 defense on the play where Goodwin scored that 85 yard TD.

It was not a man to man defense.Cover 2 is a Zone.  

Thank you.

In fact Revis never made one bad play in his life despite that fact that he has been watching guys run right buy him or catch tons of balls in front of him for a year or so.

All of these lame excuses for Revis really only mean the Jets are stupid for paying a guy that kind of money to look like Kyle Wilson minus the finger wag.

Just now, Beerfish said:

In fact Revis never made one bad play in his life despite that fact that he has been watching guys run right buy him or catch tons of balls in front of him for a year or so.

All of these lame excuses for Revis really only mean the Jets are stupid for paying a guy that kind of money to look like Kyle Wilson minus the finger wag.

seriously.  who cares what the coverage was.  they left him alone vs a guy who could beat him, and probably most cbs.  savvier defensive minds would have given the cb help.

46 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

-The Bills scoring 34 is a joke bc they only scored 31.

-If you watched that game last night and came away with the impression that the Bills offense beat up the Jets defense then IDK what you were watching. 

-The Jets made a huge stop mid way thru the 4th quarter on 4th and 1. Does that not count as a big, late stop? 

-As far as the end of the game the Jets were up two scores and had been beaten by the big play twice already. There is no way you play aggressive at that point based on what happened earlier.  You just want them to kill time marching down the field and then make it difficult in the redzone. Normally I hate prevent but earlier moments in the game dictated that strategy. 

-And I know you don't like the defense. I saw you talking crap about it on a Bills fan site yesterday. Nothing worse then a fan going to a rival fans page and talking smack about their "favorite" team.  So disgusting in my opinion. No offense. 

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

seriously.  who cares what the coverage was.  they left him alone vs a guy who could beat him, and probably most cbs.  savvier defensive minds would have given the cb help.

Better CB's would not let a guy run right by him.  Revis didn't respect the guy and he paid for it.

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

-If you watched that game last night and came away with the impression that the Bills offense beat up the Jets defense then IDK what you were watching. 

-The Jets made a huge stop mid way thru the 4th quarter on 4th and 1. Does that not count as a big, late stop? 

-As far as the end of the game the Jets were up two scores and had been beaten by the big play twice already. There is no way you play aggressive at that point based on what happened earlier.  You just want them to kill time marching down the field and then make it difficult in the redzone. Normally I hate prevent but earlier moments in the game dictated that strategy. 

-And I know you don't like the defense. I saw you talking crap about it on a Bills fan site yesterday. Nothing worse then a fan going to a rival fans page and talking smack about their "favorite" team.  So disgusting in my opinion. No offense. 

LOL  Tyrod Taylor 300 yards passing and 3 tds. including two long long long ones.

You don't play aggressive stupid you play aggressive smart and certainly not passive.  The prevent defense is idiotic because you let the other team score, very quickly with no resistance  at all.  they had a shot at a short kick.

Are you saying our defense good at this point?  Are you saying that we were good vs buffalo last year?  Buffalo with a very suspect Qb and no legit WR's almost beat us the one and only thing that saved the day was our offense was great.

Our defense at this point is hugely overrated and you just proved my [point by defending it after yesterdays game.

7 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Good points

Look forward to your post KRL.  Nice post as always.

I thought Revis played well after getting burned.  I think that part of the issue with Revis is he was not able to condition himself in off season like he is accustom to. I also think he is playing to far off the WR while he is great at jamming at line of scrimmage, this is more of scheme thing that does not fit him as well.

My observations from last night:

- When you have 30 foot tall WR's who are child eating monsters, you get them the ball as much as possible.

- The OL was very good last night.  Great push on some short yardage plays, solid protection, loved to see the depth and no drop off with Carpenter out.  Very good sign with some of the D's they face in the upcoming weeks.

- Forte glides and showed some good power last night fighting for the extra yards.  That said, he cannot continue to get 30 carries a night.  It's not necessary.  Powell is a very capable back and they should be trying to save Forte.

- In addition to the DL being the nastiest of nasty, they're pretty damn deep.  Jarvis Jenkins gave some solid minutes last night and week 1's superstar, McLendon was a ghost.  Crazy depth.  Nice to see.

- Skrine and Williams were on point.  Hopefully Revis decides to care at some point.  If that day comes, the Jets might actually have a nice D.

- Bowles has some serious game management issues.  It worries me that his ineptitude could cost us a game.

- The Bills suck something awful and that should not have been a close game.  They tried go Bengals on us, luckily we decided to use our child eating monster WR's this game. 

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

LOL  Tyrod Taylor 300 yards passing and 3 tds. including two long long long ones.

You don't play aggressive stupid you play aggressive smart and certainly not passive.  The prevent defense is idiotic because you let the other team score, very quickly with no resistance  at all.  they had a shot at a short kick.

Are you saying our defense good at this point?  Are you saying that we were good vs buffalo last year?  Buffalo with a very suspect Qb and no legit WR's almost beat us the one and only thing that saved the day was our offense was great.

Our defense at this point is hugely overrated and you just proved my [point by defending it after yesterdays game.

Did you watch the game? Run back to your Bills site and find out how many people think Tyrod had a good game.  Eff the numbers. The radio hosts up here are the most homeristic professionals I've ever listened to and 99% are absolutely killing Tyrod today. I'm not saying the Jets are great on defense at this point but they are not as bad as you are suggesting. The prevent defenses purpose is to keep things in front of you to avoid quick strikes. Thats what they were trying to do. Where they failed was in the redzone on the Gillislee TD.  Thats the only time I was annoyed at Lee.  He and another player had a shot to take him down around the 3 yard line and they didn't. 

The play where Revis got beat was all on Revis.  The Bills tried the exact same play later to Goodwin and Revis was right with him.  There is no excuse for the first TD.  The 2nd long one was a broken play.  Tyrod had 6.5 seconds to throw the ball. Thats not on the secondary, thats on the pass rushers.  Julian Stanford had a chance to end that play and he got juked out of his jock. That play is all on him in my opinion.  

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I wonder what kind of grade PFF will give Skrine for last night's game, eh @CrazyCarl40:)

He had a good grade, possibly for the first time ever. He played solidly last night. He should play solidly much more consistently given the fact that he's paid so much. Although, let's be honest, he wasn't facing any healthy, above average wide receivers last night. I hope he can keep it up because given the inconsistency of Williams and the decline of Revis, they need him to perform to his contract.

The Jets played to contain Taylor and McCloy.  They clogged the lanes.  Taylor had some awful short and medium range pass attempts.  I think the DL did a solid job.

Our secondary is the week spot on the team.  Made a ball call on Milliner, and too much money on Revis.  Gilcrist played better this week.   As the season progresses, it would be good to see Middleton and Martin prehaps come up from the PS.  Pryor appears to have regressed somewhat.  This is what they should be spending the next 10 days on.

Our LBs are actually pretty beat up.  Hopefully not a bigger issue. Hopefully they all recover before KC.

Fitz really stepped up. He is not perfect, but that is what they need to do.  Buffalo's safety play is awful, and Fitz found the seems.  If Fitz wants to keep his job in 2017, he needs to be a downfield QB, not a short pass QB.

OL is playing well.  Its game by game. Inside running tailed off when Carpenter left.  Johnson does look like a tall, skinny guard.

WRs obviously playing amazing.   Fitz plays a possession game, and thus Marshall and Decker fit right in.  I think Decker is a Jet for a long time, and should be.  Marshall, is year by year.  

39 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If the guy is a world class sprinter, you have to get your hands on him and jam him at the line.  If you let him take off like he on a track, well, you see what happens...

There's a ton to clean up particularly stopping the big plays against the
secondary.  But here's a couple of positive coaching points:

- It was good to see the defense attack and eliminate the WR screens that killed
us against CIN.  BUF tried to use the same formation, but this time Bowles sent
LB's to destroy their blocking scheme and allow the DB's to make the tackles

- Props to Gailey for unveiling a vertical attack that totally goes against our
tendencies from last year.  Hopefully it will force DC's to loosen up on our
intermediate routes as they have to prepare for shots down the field

- The OLine coach (Steve Marshall) deserves recognition for the job he's doing.
Because he's coached up Ijalana, Qvale and Johnson to the point where if someone
goes down the line play doesn't suffer

- The WR coach (Karl Dorrell) deserves credit for what he's doing with the receivers.
Because Enunwa is a totally different player and he took 3 young WR's from the start
of camp and developed them

31 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets played to contain Taylor and McCloy.  They clogged the lanes.  Taylor had some awful short and medium range pass attempts.  I think the DL did a solid job.

Our secondary is the week spot on the team.  Made a ball call on Milliner, and too much money on Revis.  Gilcrist played better this week.   As the season progresses, it would be good to see Middleton and Martin prehaps come up from the PS.  Pryor appears to have regressed somewhat.  This is what they should be spending the next 10 days on.

Our LBs are actually pretty beat up.  Hopefully not a bigger issue. Hopefully they all recover before KC.

Fitz really stepped up. He is not perfect, but that is what they need to do.  Buffalo's safety play is awful, and Fitz found the seems.  If Fitz wants to keep his job in 2017, he needs to be a downfield QB, not a short pass QB.

OL is playing well.  Its game by game. Inside running tailed off when Carpenter left.  Johnson does look like a tall, skinny guard.

WRs obviously playing amazing.   Fitz plays a possession game, and thus Marshall and Decker fit right in.  I think Decker is a Jet for a long time, and should be.  Marshall, is year by year.  

The inside running was much better late in the game. Probably had a lot to do with the downfield success and the fact that were wore them the F out. Anyway the line played much better as a unit as the game went on. 

I think Ijjy may have won the RT job. Maybe we try Qvale at LG. 

3 hours ago, KRL said:

* Trying to draw the Jets offside on 4th & 1, using a timeout, then going for it
    and not getting it.  Classic

And just to point out - that timeout they used there was the difference between them getting the ball back with 10 seconds on the clock and 50 seconds.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Actually, it was 31, and the defense only gave up 24 of that, but yeah, 24 points to buffalo is not good. The good news is that 7 of it was on Revis who played it poorly (hopefully that can be fixed) and 7 more on a broken play, and 7 more in prevent junk time mode. Granted those 2 big plays can kill a team and a game, but I think they are correctable over time. Also, the old man didn't get as much rest as normal - let's see how he plays next week on 10 days rest instead of 4.

So, if you were to say, hey the Jets beat the bills and the bills only scored 17 (remove the stupid plays but keep the turnover, or remove on stupid play and remove the turnover) and 7 of it was at the end because with 3 minutes left the team went into prevent and gave up 7, you would probably say they did okay.

I am NOT making excuses for them, but what I am saying is that some of this is correctible and there may be hope. Also, the game plan to stay in your lanes and not pressure Taylor as much was a gamble (which clearly gave up 7 on that broken play), but will likely not be the game plan next week. So, add fixing some correctible problems, 10 days to rest and game plan, and more aggression by the front line as Smith is more of a pocket passer, and there is reasonable hope for next weeks defense to be better.

6 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

KRL

Great write up as always!!

All I can say is resilient, resilient, reslient. 

Have not seen the team be that tough when they could have folded in a long long time.  

Totally agree CB, we've seen too many games like Buffalo where we blew a big lead and never recovered, last night we blew the lead but had the strength to get the win. 

Archived