Is Revis a lock for first ballot HOF?

He will get in for sure.  First ballot?    He had a few of the best years ever at his position but lacks the longevity first rounders typically have.  If he keeps on this course he is on retired waits four years not sure how many people will remember how good he really was.  It will be close but not a lock.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

He will get in for sure.  First ballot?    He had a few of the best years ever at his position but lacks the longevity first rounders typically have.  If he keeps on this course he is on retired waits four years not sure how many people will remember how good he really was.  It will be close but not a lock.  

Cosign. I don't think he gets in on the first try. 

33 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Agree completely. 

Right now, 1st ballot is still undetermined; hence not a lock. I think the way the rest of his career shakes out will determine it.

Clearly, very few people agree. 

52 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

That's a joke, right?  Pro Bowler from 2008-2015 (excluding 2012, when he was injured).  Best CB in the league in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2013.

6 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

That's a joke, right?  Pro Bowler from 2008-2015 (excluding 2012, when he was injured).  Best CB in the league in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2013.

No its an opinion.  If you find it funny then Im glad to bring a smile to your face.  I just think that  as Jet fans we notice his play way more than the rest of the league. If he really plays no better than he has the end of last year and the beginning of this year I think he it hurts his chances.  Not sure but I don't think they are eligible until thy have been retired 4 years?  I have no doubt he will get in but i do think a first ballot is questionable.  I think he needs to play another 3-4 years at a reasonable level to assure his first ballot status.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

No its an opinion.  If you find it funny then Im glad to bring a smile to your face.  I just think that  as Jet fans we notice his play way more than the rest of the league. If he really plays no better than he has the end of last year and the beginning of this year I think he it hurts his chances.  Not sure but I don't think they are eligible until thy have been retired 4 years?  I have no doubt he will get in but i do think a first ballot is questionable.  I think he needs to play another 3-4 years at a reasonable level to assure his first ballot status.

this is his 10th year, he has had 2 rough games so far but he has never gone through this before.  we are in the moment right now but when you look at his career there is an excellent argument that he is the best ever cover corner.  a few bad games or even mediocre seasons won't change that.  he'd have to get beat like this every week for years to change the perception of his career.

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Most recent comparisons of CBs from the modern era to use are Aeneas Williams being a 3rd and Deion being a 1st, so that's the threshold that we're working with. Based off that it's pretty much a coin toss between 1st and 2nd because who the hell knows what writers even look for.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

this is his 10th year, he has had 2 rough games so far but he has never gone through this before.  we are in the moment right now but when you look at his career there is an excellent argument that he is the best ever cover corner.  a few bad games or even mediocre seasons won't change that.  he'd have to get beat like this every week for years to change the perception of his career.

Exactly.  As of right now he needs to play better than he has over last few games.  Pretty much all Im saying. If he doesn't then he is not a lock.  Personally I don't think it has to be too many years. If he plasy no better than he has this year and next then retires?  After the period he has to wait to get in people could remember his dramatic decline at the end of his career as compared to his amazing prime. He was the best ever, so good that he gets judged against for play most guys get praised for. If he stays unable to cover I think it hurts his chances.

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Most recent comparisons of CBs from the modern era to use are Aeneas Williams being a 3rd and Deion being a 1st, so that's the threshold that we're working with. Based off that it's pretty much a coin toss between 1st and 2nd because who the hell knows what writers even look for.

I agree with this.  Revis is a better tackler and a better pure cover guy than Deion. Hell Deion hated to tackle.   But Deion was flashy, people love flashy. 

"First ballot lock"?  IMO maybe, maybe not.

He is/was not as good a a number of HOF DB's, and his era of greatness (and impact on winning) was less as well.

He'll get in, probably on the first ballot, but it's no certainty.

Lets look at him vs. a legit First ballot guy, and see how close he is/isn't:

Darrell Green vs. Darrell Revis

Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics
Tackles: 1,159
Interceptions: 54
Touchdowns: 6
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of 2015
Tackles: 430
Quarterback sacks: 2.0
Interceptions: 28
Forced fumbles: 6
Passes defended: 132
Touchdowns: 3

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

I agree with this.  Revis is a better tackler and a better pure cover guy than Deion. Hell Deion hated to tackle.   But Deion was flashy, people love flashy. 

In theory corners from this era should really get a lot more credit than their predecessors too. The fact that Revis was (at the very least) as dominant as Deion for a stretch in an era where the WRs are insanely more freakish and the rules are completely against defensive backs at this point should work in his favor. But who knows. I think people crying 1st ballot no question are forgetting how fickle the selection committee is, and they don't think about things the same way that fans do.

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

In theory corners from this era should really get a lot more credit than their predecessors too. The fact that Revis was (at the very least) as dominant as Deion for a stretch in an era where the WRs are insanely more freakish and the rules are completely against defensive backs at this point should work in his favor. But who knows. I think people crying 1st ballot no question are forgetting how fickle the selection committee is, and they don't think about things the same way that fans do.

Well yeah. If fans had to pick he would be a first ballot lock.  Agreed.

8 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Deion was the better playmaker, a threat to score from anywhere but he gave up big plays and could be beat b/c he was always looking for the big play.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think the committee are like fans which is how so many undeserving players make it.  

By virtue of the fact that a bad play or two or a bad game or two generates so much press that Revis is now human after all, in my mind, bodes well for HOF on a first ballot. People don't talk about a 10 year player that way unless he was considered super-human before that. If people are talking about (and getting worked up about) that fact a 10 year CB is now just good shows you how much they bought into Revis Island for all these years.

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I disagree with some of your reasoning however, I think he is clearly going to Canton but a lock for 1st ballot???

He will get hurt a little by his mercenary approach to the game and may be snubbed his 1st year.

Rumor has it he would hold out anyway. :)

Mercenary approach? 

How many teams and sports, did Deion Sanders play on? Now there's a mercenary. 

3 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

In Revis' last 3 games, QB's have a 128.8 QBR when throwing against him.

Nice to see the Jets paying $17MM for that type of outstanding performance.

Nice to see you're still obsessed over Revis for telling the Pats to take their offer and stick it, signing with he Jets instead.  

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Deion only played for Atlanta, san Fran, dallas, Washington and Baltimore.:lol:

Right, that's all? 

Seriously, how much of a mercenary is Revis? He was traded to Tampa, while under contract, he didn't pick this deal, didn't go on his own for. Money or to win.  Was released and signed with the one team that made him an offer.  When they released him he came back to his roots.  Not seeing evidence of his mercenary approach. 

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Right, that's all? 

Seriously, how much of a mercenary is Revis? He was traded to Tampa, while under contract, he didn't pick this deal, didn't go on his own for. Money or to win.  Was released and signed with the one team that made him an offer.  When they released him he came back to his roots.  Not seeing evidence of his mercenary approach. 

Revis maximized his earnings, he should be commended for that.  In a sport where the owners have the hammer he took the hammer and used it on the owners. 

Just now, nyjunc said:

Revis maximized his earnings, he should be commended for that.  In a sport where the owners have the hammer he took the hammer and used it on the owners. 

Hey, it's a business.  When ownership has the hammer they use it against players.  When a player like Revis has that hammer, they use it.  Never bothered me that he wanted to be paid.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Understood....  Deion literally played an integral role in bringing his team(s) to the SB.   

But the analogy is fair.

Both SF and Dallas would have won w/o him, he literally hopped on the bandwagon to both Super Bowls.  he tried again in washington and Baltimore but it didn't work out.

12 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Both SF and Dallas would have won w/o him, he literally hopped on the bandwagon to both Super Bowls.  he tried again in washington and Baltimore but it didn't work out.

Same could be said of Revis..thats why I said fair analogy.  Had you actually attended UNC, you would have been forced to take basic English as it is basically a cupcake school. :)

30 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Revis had a higher peak than any player, let alone any corner, in the era of meaningful data. It wasn't that long, but it was long enough. Through the first injury, Revis is an immortal. Even docking him the absolute max for phoning it in the last two years he's a stone lock.

Dion Jordan, that CB from FSU was #1 imo