Is Revis a lock for first ballot HOF?

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

So we are all in agreement that revis had 4 elite seasons.  He played 10 years.

isnt the hall of fame for players that were elite for the majority of their career?

Revis wasnt even elite for half his career.

Sounds about right. Revis had 4 all pro years. But Looking at PFF stats, he had 7 years where he was either elite or just below elite. 1 year where he was above average, 1 year where he was average and 2 years where he was below average (last two years).

For a CB, I think that gets it done though. Especially because, with the help of Rex, he revolutionized the position. The idea of a cornerback shadowing a number 1 receiver became popular because of Revis. Before him, corners would stick to one side of the field. Don’t know if this qualifies for being revolutionary. But it felt like he took the position to a new level.

It’ll be close, but I think he gets in on the first ballot.

On 9/19/2016 at 10:22 AM, nyjunc said:

Aaron Glenn was better?

giphy.gif

yep for an entire career Glenn was Better and way more consistent. After 2-4 great years Revis was torched more often than not and the fact he packed it in on his team more than once should never let him sniff the Hall

When someone is paid like he got paid its not unreasonable to expect an effort on par with the salary.

This slouch took the pay and got fat and lazy with it.

It really is a shame because with a consistent effort he would have had one of the best careers ever seen for the CB position but instead you have this guy who initially produced at a high level, got paid, got fat and lazy and actually embarrassed himself at the end with his slouch like play at the young age of 30 years old. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Revis is a POS mercenary. Any JET fan who wears his jersey is in my view, a narcissist.  HOF? Probably.  

Holdout HOF first ballot. 

??‍♀️ I love myself

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Only problem I see... He tailed off big time in his last 3 years to the detriment of the teams that employed him. In his prime ... Pure lock.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This is fair but tailed off? The last two years he literally stopped trying and was as big a detriment as he was a strength during his prime. 

4 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

yep for an entire career Glenn was Better and way more consistent. After 2-4 great years Revis was torched more often than not and the fact he packed it in on his team more than once should never let him sniff the Hall

Glenn was very good he was not as good as Revis

57 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Glenn was very good he was not as good as Revis

Ohmygod, I agree with Phil.

Hey, I loved Aaron Glenn - and wore his jersey number when I played the game - but he was not as good as Revis.  Glenn was terrific, but Revis is one of the best of all time. Possibly the greatest technician at CB I have ever seen.

5 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

you obviously didn't watch Glenn and revis play.  Revis was DOMINANT, Glenn was good at his peak.

Glenn played 8 seasons w/ us, made 2 pro bowls and zero all pro teams.  he played in 121 games and despite being targeted weekly b/c no QB was afraid to throw his way he had 24 INts in those 121 games w/ 3 TDs.

Revis played 8 seasons for us but only 108 games and despite 13 fewer games and the fact QBs were scared to throw his way thus reducing his opportunities he still had more INts than Glenn and scored as many TDs. revis also was a 5 time pro bowler for us and made 3 first team all pros for us but yeah Aaron was way more consistent:lol:

Glenn was torched in his PRIME, revis wasn't torched until late in his career here.  There is absolutely no comparison btw these 2 players.

it's funny though that jet fans whine about revis and his contracts showing how "selfish" he was but never mention Glenn asked to leave the Jets and wanted to leave to go to Houston in the expansion draft.

One more thing, remember when we went 12-4 and made the championship game in 1998?  do you also remember Glenn getting hurt(after getting humiliated by Joey Galloway on TWO bombs against Seattle) and Mickens starting the rest of the year in the playoffs?

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

This is fair but tailed off? The last two years he literally stopped trying and was as big a detriment as he was a strength during his prime. 

can we really talk about 2017 w/ KC when he arrived in December and barely played?  he was a detriment one season and that was the 2016 Jets where the entire team sucked. he was good in 2015.  his 2015 season was as good as any Aaron Glenn had but we were disappointed b/c he wasn't 2009-2011 all time great.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

can we really talk about 2017 w/ KC when he arrived in December and barely played?  he was a detriment one season and that was the 2016 Jets where the entire team sucked. he was good in 2015.  his 2015 season was as good as any Aaron Glenn had but we were disappointed b/c he wasn't 2009-2011 all time great.

Sure let’s just ignore the stuff that doesn’t support your point of view as usual? He showed up to KC and humiliated himself and his brand. He sucked royally his last year for the Jets as well. 

Not because he lost his ability, he just stopped given a shit  and thought the league owed him from his few great seasons.

Guy was the greatest player ever to plain old flat out quit bevause he didn’t care.  Dude didn’t give a crap about the fans, look at his retirement speech, no mention of the fans at all. Mevis cared about Mevis and that’s his right to do so. If people choose to wash his balls then so be it. I don’t . 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

Prediction:  gets in after a long, protracted wait.  Very similar to Harry Carson.

Harry carson was never considered the best lb in football, he never made a single first team all pro(official).  Revis was considered the best defensive player for a couple of years and is a 4 time first team all pro. He should be first ballot, at worst he will be in by year two.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Sounds about right. Revis had 4 all pro years. But Looking at PFF stats, he had 7 years where he was either elite or just below elite. 1 year where he was above average, 1 year where he was average and 2 years where he was below average (last two years).

For a CB, I think that gets it done though. Especially because, with the help of Rex, he revolutionized the position. The idea of a cornerback shadowing a number 1 receiver became popular because of Revis. Before him, corners would stick to one side of the field. Don’t know if this qualifies for being revolutionary. But it felt like he took the position to a new level.

It’ll be close, but I think he gets in on the first ballot.

He's a clear HoFer, but he's not a first ballot guy, not with only 4 All-Pro seasons and the depth of talent that will be available in his first year eligible (Joe Thomas, James Harrison, and Dwight Freeney are lock first ballot guys, then you have Witten, Mangold, Chancellor and Hall who will all get votes).  Add to that the holdover guys who will be HoF eligible (the 2022 ballot will have DeMarcus Ware and Jared Allen as first-time eligible, for example), and the odds that a 4-time All-Pro like Revis is one of the 6 elected that first year are less than 50%, IMO.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

He's a clear HoFer, but he's not a first ballot guy, not with only 4 All-Pro seasons and the depth of talent that will be available in his first year eligible (Joe Thomas, James Harrison, and Dwight Freeney are lock first ballot guys, then you have Witten, Mangold, Chancellor and Hall who will all get votes).  Add to that the holdover guys who will be HoF eligible (the 2022 ballot will have DeMarcus Ware and Jared Allen as first-time eligible, for example), and the odds that a 4-time All-Pro like Revis is one of the 6 elected that first year are less than 50%, IMO.

Fair. Hall, sure on name recognition and nifty nickname. But not a first ballot guy.  He’s a quitter. Put his bust towards the back by the toilets. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetscode1 said:

Prediction:  gets in after a long, protracted wait.  Very similar to Harry Carson.

I agree with this. Revis' situation is a lot like TO.

TO had all the numbers to be first ballot HOF, but was a major pain in the ass and therefore had to wait.

In my opinion, Revis doesn't have the numbers to be first ballot HOF anyway, but the fact he had 2 holdouts, was a me first mercenary and then dropped off a cliff (got fat, lazy and quit) almost guarantees no first ballot HOF.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Thank you. This has been my position since I started the thread in '16.

In the opening post, I mentioned that as it stood in 2016, he was 100% a HoFer, but not yet 1st ballot. He would need another two elite years, either at CB or at S in order to be 1st ballot. Unfortunately, he never got there.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Harry carson was never considered the best lb in football, he never made a single first team all pro(official).  Revis was considered the best defensive player for a couple of years and is a 4 time first team all pro. He should be first ballot, at worst he will be in by year two.

Revis talent and Carson’s heart... you have the best defensive player , top 3, in NY ever possibly. 

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Good CB no doubt...had the couple of great years when he was Revis Island...but was far less than Deion or Woodson in their prime...the lack of longevity playing at an elite level hurts him IMO.

Seriously doubt he gets in the first year...more likely gets in within the first decade...but he'll probably get in...maybe faster if the coaches/players/fans had a chance to vote.

You or the press may not think Harry was the best LB in football but some former coaches praised his play.  

image.png

2 hours ago, TheGreenGhost said:

I agree with this. Revis' situation is a lot like TO.

TO had all the numbers to be first ballot HOF, but was a major pain in the ass and therefore had to wait.

In my opinion, Revis doesn't have the numbers to be first ballot HOF anyway, but the fact he had 2 holdouts, was a me first mercenary and then dropped off a cliff (got fat, lazy and quit) almost guarantees no first ballot HOF.

Agreed.  Seriously doubt he gets anywhere close during year 1.  Also, can see the writers make him pay his dues for his mercenary tactics.    

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

you obviously didn't watch Glenn and revis play.  Revis was DOMINANT, Glenn was good at his peak.

Glenn played 8 seasons w/ us, made 2 pro bowls and zero all pro teams.  he played in 121 games and despite being targeted weekly b/c no QB was afraid to throw his way he had 24 INts in those 121 games w/ 3 TDs.

Revis played 8 seasons for us but only 108 games and despite 13 fewer games and the fact QBs were scared to throw his way thus reducing his opportunities he still had more INts than Glenn and scored as many TDs. revis also was a 5 time pro bowler for us and made 3 first team all pros for us but yeah Aaron was way more consistent:lol:

Glenn was torched in his PRIME, revis wasn't torched until late in his career here.  There is absolutely no comparison btw these 2 players.

it's funny though that jet fans whine about revis and his contracts showing how "selfish" he was but never mention Glenn asked to leave the Jets and wanted to leave to go to Houston in the expansion draft.

One more thing, remember when we went 12-4 and made the championship game in 1998?  do you also remember Glenn getting hurt(after getting humiliated by Joey Galloway on TWO bombs against Seattle) and Mickens starting the rest of the year in the playoffs?

I obviously didnt watch them play ? Seriously ?

I watched both of them play extensively and if you ask me who is better as a player its Revis But that DOES NOT make for an entire career which is what most hall of famers are Judged on, careers

Revis was a very good corner who was made to look much better than he was due to a pressure defensive scheme that had him cover in a very small window of the field. A 2 second pressure window with QB's having to get rid of the ball that quick makes for  a much easier way to cover. When the pressure was not there Revis was not nearly as good as he was when the pressure was on and its OBVIOUSLY not even close. SO in all honesty you are the one not paying attention and drinking the Revis cool aide.

If I had to judge a 3 year window Revis was among the best ever but over an entire career Revis falls way short of the greats and its not even close. He had 29 Ints Glenn has 41 Glenn also had more games on his side and was much more consistent over the long haul which is what gets you into the Hall of Fame more often than not. 

Revis could have been considered one of the greats but he was too concerned about money and less concerned about everything else. He did not stay in shape, he slouched and gave up on plays and he took the field and basically robbed money from the teams he played for in the last 4 years of his career. Thats not great that more like greedy and If I had a vote it certainly would not be for Revis based on a 4 year window in which 2 of those years he played great

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Best post !

On 7/19/2018 at 12:55 PM, The Crusher said:

Fair. Hall, sure on name recognition and nifty nickname. But not a first ballot guy.  He’s a quitter. Put his bust towards the back by the toilets. 

Hall's not even a HoFer, in my view.  But he'll get some votes.

• Upvote 2

On 7/19/2018 at 11:50 AM, Doggin94it said:

Good points. I’d put Revis before Harrison though. Thomas is unquestionably first ballot. I’d put Freeney ahead of Revis as well. The remaining spots are going to be tough. I’d have to agree with you though. His chances are less than 50%. He has a chance. 

Dang it’s hard to make the hof in the first ballet. I think Gates is going to be part of that 2023 class.