Is Revis a lock for first ballot HOF?

15 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

They love names more than stats revis is a big name I think he makes it in on the first ballot but we will see

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Exactly. "Revis Island" The nickname will get him in. They will think about that period in time. Not the season he decided to retire 1/4 way through it and not tell no one. Sad one of the Jets only true all time greats is a self serving scumbag. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/1/2016 at 1:45 PM, greenwichjetfan said:

Guys like Champ and Woodson are sure fire HoF because:

- Champ Bailey had a sustained and productive career at CB going into his very late 30's. 
- Charles Woodson eventually did convert to safety as his CB play slid, and actually performed very well there as well, going into his late 30's. 

Add to that the fact that he's basically taking this year off, and I don't think he belongs. He'll probably get in, but I don't think he belongs. I think someone like Bo Jackson (who also had amazing years in a short period of time) belongs more, as his short period of elite productivity was cut short due to injury, and not mailing it in. 

Revis won't make it in for one simple reason:  He has no fan support.

The Hall Of Fame, above all else, is a business.  The building in Ohio is a tourist attraction, induction day sells a lot of hotel rooms and rent-a-car's, the "football life" specials on NFL Network sell advertisements.  Darrelle Revis is tainted goods.  He's not beloved by any team he played for, and as witnessed by this season he's burned any bridge to this organization and it's season ticket holders.  In fact, it would be embarrassing for the NFL to put him behind the podium at Canton with no fans showing up and lukewarm applause from those supporting the other inductees.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

Just now, SAR I said:

Revis won't make it in for one simple reason:  He has no fan support.

The Hall Of Fame, above all else, is a business.  The building in Ohio is a tourist attraction, induction day sells a lot of hotel rooms and rent-a-car's, the "football life" specials on NFL Network sell advertisements.  Darrelle Revis is tainted goods.  He's not beloved by any team he played for, and as witnessed by this season he's burned any bridge to this organization and it's season ticket holders.  In fact, it would be embarrassing for the NFL to put him behind the podium at Canton with no fans showing up and lukewarm applause from those supporting the other inductees.

SAR I

Time has a way of healing those feelings.   Without a doubt D Revis will be in the hall of fame.( did enough to warrant that achievement).   

What he might have done is cost himself recognition as one of the top cb's at his position ever . (Argument could have been made at one point, not any longer).

48 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Time has a way of healing those feelings.   Without a doubt D Revis will be in the hall of fame.( did enough to warrant that achievement).   

What he might have done is cost himself recognition as one of the top cb's at his position ever . (Argument could have been made at one point, not any longer).

Disagree.

The other thing working against Revis is that he didn't make any plays.  While executing textbook body position is certainly a trait worth recognizing, fact is he rarely made a game-changing interception or a game-saving play.  When QB's don't throw your way it's certainly a compliment, but it prevents you from getting on the scoresheet.  If they ever did a "football life" on him, the highlights would be him jogging around the field doing nothing.

Darrelle Revis biggest contribution to the teams he played for was forcing the play to the other side of the field where there was a lesser player.  I'm not sure that is Hall Of Fame worthy.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

I think Revis needs to make a pretty big turnaround to make the HoF.  I think he was basically just realized that his lack of training and late surgery this last season, and otherwise uninspired play may have knocked him out of the HoF.  That may play his contrite interviews.

Every year in the NFL players who did not play well suddenly pick up at the end of the season.  My guess is that Revis has a revival the next 5 games.

On 12/4/2016 at 7:24 AM, Raideraholic said:

Revis is a hall of fame but he isn't anywhere close to the best cover CB of all time.   Not even in the conversation anymore.    Wouldn't even make anyone top five cb's of all time.  ( didn't do it long enough) 

There was so many more quality Cb's when some of those Cb's played you listed , that to make the all pro team meant more than it did in Revis area.

he is the best do ever do it, no one followed and blanketed top WRs like Revis during that few year stretch- not Blount, not Deion not any of the Woodsons, not anyone.

23 hours ago, SAR I said:

Disagree.

The other thing working against Revis is that he didn't make any plays.  While executing textbook body position is certainly a trait worth recognizing, fact is he rarely made a game-changing interception or a game-saving play.  When QB's don't throw your way it's certainly a compliment, but it prevents you from getting on the scoresheet.  If they ever did a "football life" on him, the highlights would be him jogging around the field doing nothing.

Darrelle Revis biggest contribution to the teams he played for was forcing the play to the other side of the field where there was a lesser player.  I'm not sure that is Hall Of Fame worthy.

SAR I

Wasn't the idea of "Revis Island" that he would make no plays.  Instead he would just take away the opponent's best WR.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Wasn't the idea of "Revis Island" that he would make no plays.  Instead he would just take away the opponent's best WR.

Yes, and that's a cool marketing concept, sold a lot of posters, sold a lot of TV commercials, sold some jerseys.

Question is, can you name another cornerback or safety in the Hall Of Fame known for not making plays at that position?  It's an odd thing.  Being so well thought of that teams don't throw near you so you wind up not making many memorable plays.  I remember games where Revis' name was not even called, where he did not even make a tackle.  And, as we know, we wound up losing most of those games anyway, so was there really a point to him?  Was he really great in a game-changing MVP manner?  Was taking away half the field from an opposing quarterback actually effective?

If you took out the 2 or 3 big interceptions against the Cowboys or San Diego, as examples of meaningful ones, what's the Darrelle Revis highlight reel?  Him jogging around in a completely clean uniform nowhere near the ball or the outcome of any plays?

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes, and that's a cool marketing concept, sold a lot of posters, sold a lot of TV commercials, sold some jerseys.

Question is, can you name another cornerback or safety in the Hall Of Fame known for not making plays at that position?  It's an odd thing.  Being so well thought of that teams don't throw near you so you wind up not making many memorable plays.  I remember games where Revis' name was not even called, where he did not even make a tackle.  And, as we know, we wound up losing most of those games anyway, so was there really a point to him?  Was he really great in a game-changing MVP manner?  Was taking away half the field from an opposing quarterback actually effective?

If you took out the 2 or 3 big interceptions against the Cowboys or San Diego, as examples of meaningful ones, what's the Darrelle Revis highlight reel?  Him jogging around in a completely clean uniform nowhere near the ball or the outcome of any plays?

SAR I

He took away half the field and the other teams best WR, he led those title game runs.  Other CBs have been better playmakers but they were also roasted a lot too.  Revis dominated like no one else.  I was watching that KC game yesterday and we hear how great Marcus Peters is(and he is very good) but there was Julio Jones torching KC and Peters wasn’t on him.  Revis followed every top WR everywhere and dominated in an era that is geared toward helping offenses.  He is by far the best player in Jets history and by far the best cover corner I have ever seen.  It’s also a myth that no one threw at him, they didn’t throw a lot b/c his guy was always covered but they threw at him and he was also excellent in run support as well.  A sure tackler.

On 12/4/2016 at 1:22 PM, SAR I said:

Disagree.

SAR I

In those playoff runs I can think of plays he made in all the playoff wins

At Cincy had an early INT that changed momentum

At SD the juggling INT against Rivers after we had just turned it over the SD

At Indy holding future HOFer Reggie Wayne to 1 catch for 1 yard

At NE the huge 4th down stop against Deion Branch in the 4th qtr

Other big games from those 2 seasons:

The INT against Brady covering Moss in week 2

the INt return against Carolina

the int at Toronto

dominating Calvin Johnson at Johnson’s peak in Detroit

dominating Andre Johnson at his peak

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I can't name another like him but that doesn't at all detract from his greatness.  He was the best CB in football during a time his position was at a premium (rules favoring QBs).  He could single-handedly take away the opponent's best receiver allowing the DC to double cover others or send extra blitzers.   I'm no football expert but it's a pretty basic concept that he provided great flexibility for a DC.  His "highlight reel" is really when others got "coverage sacks" or made interceptions because the QB threw into double-coverage of other WRs. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I think the more important question is will Revis be put in the Jets ring of honor?

I, personally, hope not.  It would be one of the most disappointing things this franchise has ever done (and you all know that's saying a lot!)

he's the best player in Jets history and you hope he doesn't make it? 

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 2:06 PM, nyjunc said:

He took away half the field and the other teams best WR, he led those title game runs.  Other CBs have been better playmakers but they were also roasted a lot too.  Revis dominated like no one else.  I was watching that KC game yesterday and we hear how great Marcus Peters is(and he is very good) but there was Julio Jones torching KC and Peters wasn’t on him.  Revis followed every top WR everywhere and dominated in an era that is geared toward helping offenses.  He is by far the best player in Jets history and by far the best cover corner I have ever seen.  It’s also a myth that no one threw at him, they didn’t throw a lot b/c his guy was always covered but they threw at him and he was also excellent in run support as well.  A sure tackler.

Agreed. From 08-11 nobody covered guys better than Revis. He'd go 1 on 1 with every teams top receiver no matter how good they were and completely shut them down.

I remember a game in 2010 in Detroit where he took Calvin Johnson completely out of the game. He had 1 catch for 11 yards. The first play they tried a flea flicker to beat Revis deep with Calvin and Revis easily swatted the pass away. For some reason that game sticks out to me as one of the vintage Revis performances. There was nobody better than Revis during his prime years. Not Sherman, not Norman, nobody played to the level of dominance I saw Revis play especially during those first two years under Rex.

And I saw plenty of memorable plays he made. The interception in the playoffs against the Chargers, the pick 6 Monday night against Miami, picking off Tom Brady week 2 in 2009 to really set the tone in that game when Brady aired one out to Randy Moss early, theres a bunch of them.

He's pretty terrible now. But he aged quicker than others at the position, probably due to his style of play. I don't think he's treated fairly by Jets fans.

Like you said, this is the best player in the history of our franchise.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Agreed. From 08-11 nobody covered guys better than Revis. He'd go 1 on 1 with every teams top receiver no matter how good they were and completely shut them down.

I remember a game in 2010 in Detroit where he took Calvin Johnson completely out of the game. He had 1 catch for 11 yards. The first play they tried a flea flicker to beat Revis deep with Calvin and Revis easily swatted the pass away. For some reason that game sticks out to me as one of the vintage Revis performances. There was nobody better than Revis during his prime years. Not Sherman, not Norman, nobody played to the level of dominance I saw Revis play especially during those first two years under Rex.

And I saw plenty of memorable plays he made. The interception in the playoffs against the Chargers, the pick 6 Monday night against Miami, picking off Tom Brady week 2 in 2009 to really set the tone in that game when Brady aired one out to Randy Moss early, theres a bunch of them.

He's pretty terrible now. But he aged quicker than others at the position, probably due to his style of play. I don't think he's treated fairly by Jets fans.

excellent post and I agree on that lions game against Calvin Johnson.  he totally dominated him that day and Calvin in his prime was one of the best WRs of all time.

• Upvote 1

Just now, nyjunc said:

why isn't he a Jet?

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.  

He spent two years of his prime on two other teams and won a Super Bowl with a division rival.  This isn't the case of an older guy spending the last few years of his career with a different organization.

This isn't a person I consider a legendary Jet..a great player, a hall of famer sure...but a Jet - NO!

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He spent two years of his prime on two other teams and won a Super Bowl with a division rival.  This isn't the case of an older guy spending the last few years of his career with a different organization.

This isn't a person I consider a legendary Jet..a great player, a hall of famer sure...but a Jet - NO!

Well, I agree in spirit.  In fact, i throw Revis jerseys in the same category as Favre, Keyshon and Tebow.   Mercenary jersey.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Who held out twice,  got paid enough to make certain we couldn't sign other good players.  Many SB's were won without Revis.

Like saying the greatest thrill ever was jumping out of a plane without a chute. He was great no doubt. Yet ....  we have nothing to show for it.

Revis is laughing at the JETS fans who idolize him, he absolutely doesn't care. Take that to the bank.  

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

he was traded, he didn't leave via FA. he didn't want to leave.  he is the greatest Jet of all time, not the most important but the greatest player that has been a true Jet we have ever had.

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Who held out twice,  got paid enough to make certain we couldn't sign other good players.  Many SB's were won without Revis.

Like saying the greatest thrill ever was jumping out of a plane without a chute. He was great no doubt. Yet ....  we have nothing to show for it.

Revis is laughing at the JETS fans who idolize him, he absolutely doesn't care. Take that to the bank.  

so what? LT held out multiple times too.  don't be mad b/c he brilliantly maximized his earnings.

here's a news flash, no players or coaches care what fans think.  they all make much more than the average fan and all laugh at fat old guys in their jerseys cheering them on.  

24 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I don't care if he cares or doesn't care and i'll never blame a player for trying to get the most money he can make. I care about his performance on the field. He was the best player on 2 teams that made back to back title games.

Yes we didn't win any SB's with him but you cant judge a player based off of how many championships you won with him. Especially a non QB. We won nothing with Curtis Martin as well. Does that devalue how good he was? I don't think so.

He did his job exceptionally well up until this season. He's an all time great. That's my only point.

40 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I don't care if he cares or doesn't care and i'll never blame a player for trying to get the most money he can make. I care about his performance on the field. He was the best player on 2 teams that made back to back title games.

Yes we didn't win any SB's with him but you cant judge a player based off of how many championships you won with him. Especially a non QB. We won nothing with Curtis Martin as well. Does that devalue how good he was? I don't think so.

He did his job exceptionally well up until this season. He's an all time great. That's my only point.

Thats fair... I still detest him and his arrogant behavior.

• Upvote 1

On 12/5/2016 at 1:58 PM, SAR I said:

SAR I

To be fair up until last couple years he was a very good tackling DB. The one thing he had on Dion. Dion never tackled but he made tons of highlight reel plays.  Yet never seen a great player get bad this quick or just give up like this. For that reason alone I hop he doesn't make it in first ballot. Dont think he deserves it. F-him.

10 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

To be fair up until last couple years he was a very good tackling DB. The one thing he had on Dion. Dion never tackled but he made tons of highlight reel plays.  Yet never seen a great player get bad this quick or just give up like this. For that reason alone I hop he doesn't make it in first ballot. Dont think he deserves it. F-him.

he's had one bad season, ONE.

Deion was the better playmaker, he was a threat to score any time he touched the ball but he'd give up big plays trying to make big plays.  Revis is the better cover corner.